z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Book Man, Chapters 27-28 (Revised)

by BluesClues


27 MIDNIGHT TEA

It was a twenty-minute walk to the Book House, and Christian spent every moment of it looking over his shoulder to see where the hellhound had gone. Every shadow that flickered in the light of the streetlamps, every rustle of the bushes could be a monstrous dog stalking them. Once or twice he thought he saw something fly overhead or whip around a corner, but each time he tried to get a closer look the shadows faded into the night. His heart pounded in his throat.

“You alright?” Liza asked. She had shed her suit-coat, which was slung over one arm with sweat-stains in the pits, and she was barefoot except for her nylons. Her high-heels dangled from her fingers.

With an effort, her companion pulled his attention away from a particularly menacing shadow and focused on the street. “Fine.”

“It was quite an ordeal,” Liza said, and then they fell silent.

It was with a massive sense of relief that Christian finally unlocked the door of the Book House. The cuckoo clock in the reading-room chimed the half-hour: it was half past eleven. Liza sank into the reading-chair, rubbing her temples. The orange cat leapt into her lap to greet her.

“Ugh. What a day.”

Christian offered her his bed and took a spare quilt to the reading-room to curl up on the loveseat by the window. His head and feet hung over its arms even when he had scrunched his body up as small as it would go, but it didn’t matter; he couldn’t sleep anyway. He twisted and turned on his cushions, stopping to listen at every noise from outside.

The house settled into the silence of the after-midnight hours; the cat curled against his stomach to sleep. Once, Christian heard the floorboards creak and shivered beneath his quilt. After a moment of listening, however, he heard nothing more, except the ticking of the cuckoo clock over the reading-chair, and decided it had been the floorboards and walls shifting. He burrowed deeper into the quilt, listening.

There was another creak, from the direction of the kitchen.

He sat up, threw off his blanket, and crept into the foyer armed with a flashlight, prepared to hit hellhound or harpy over the head if one had somehow gotten into his house. The floorboards creaked again. Liza appeared in the kitchen doorway.

“Can’t sleep either?”

Christian put the flashlight down and shook his head at his own stupidity. No evil creatures had broken into his home—of course they hadn’t. But he was so used to being the only person in the house.

“No,” he said.

“Care for a cup of tea?”

Without waiting for him to answer, she shuffled back into the kitchen and flipped on the light. She was at the sink when Christian entered, filling the kettle with water from the tap. He sat at the corner table by the window to wait. In due time the kettle was singing on the stovetop, and not long after that the table was laden with a tea pot, two mugs, milk, and sugar. For a long while, they drank their tea in silence except for the odd comment on the events of the evening.

Then Liza said, “It’s my fault, you know.”

Christian blinked. They had not been talking about anything in particular—and he was sure she didn’t mean the bus incident was her fault.

She folded her hands around her mug and gazed into the depths of her tea as though speaking to it instead of Christian. Her voice was as calm as if discussing the weather, but a tear traced its way down her cheek and quivered at the end of her nose. It fell into her tea with a soft plop.

“When we were younger—”

She stopped, cleared her throat, and began again, “When we were younger, I thought it was so magical that he was a balloon-artist. You know? And he had this charm, such a way with people—”

Conrad, Christian realized, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. Of course she was talking about Conrad. The cat sauntered into the kitchen, hopped onto the table, and rubbed against her arm. She scratched its ears absently. Christian bit back the urge to tell it no pets on the table.

“I used to be like that,” Liza was saying. “But somewhere along the line I became a stick-in-the-mud. I don’t go out anymore. And it’s so hard to talk to people these days—”

“You?” Christian said, forgetting the hellhound and his discomfort by surprise. “But you always know just what to say.”

Liza shook her head. “I just know how to make it look like I do. But it’s hard. It takes effort. And I don’t know when it got to be that way. I’ve tried so hard to be—I don’t know—fun, or interesting, or sociable, or whatever I was when we met, because I thought it would be hard on him to be stuck home alone except for a wife who’s gotten to be a bore, and now he’s run off anyway and it turns out I’m not any better at being alone than he is.”

Her eyes scrunched up as if she was about to cry again, but she breathed deeply through her nose until her face relaxed into its usual calm expression.

“I went to the police, you know,” she said.

Christian’s stomach clenched. “What—what did they say?”

She took in a long breath and gave a drawn-out sigh.

“They asked me about his behavior recently and what the circumstances were, and when I told them he’s been going out at night, they—they laughed at me. They said the best thing for me to do would be to go home and wait for him to come back, and if he didn’t I could consider myself well shot of him and start looking for a new husband.”

Christian watched her as she took a long drink of tea. She caught him looking at her and said, “I’m fine.”

She certainly wasn’t fine, but her voice was steady and her expression calm. Her willpower amazed him. His stomach turned as she took a handkerchief from a pocket and blotted her eyes as if bothered by nothing more than allergies. He couldn’t bear to see her trying to look put-together when he knew she was miserable—but what could he say?

His mouth decided for him.

“He’s alright—”before he could stop himself. “Mostly alright, I mean. There’s his leg, but—”

She stopped in the middle of raising her tea to her lips and stared at him over the rim of her mug. Christian swallowed. Slowly, she lowered her mug and set it back on the table.

“What do you know about this?” she whispered.

“Liza—”

“Christian Abernathy, if you know where my husband is, you tell me this instant.”

Her nostrils flared.

“You won’t believe me,” he said.

She leaned over the table and glared at him. “Try me,” she said.

28 THE TRUTH

Needless to say, she didn’t believe him. He started with Celadon Park, jumped back to his introduction to it through Conrad, and then realized it would make the most sense to begin with the balloon-artist’s tale. He moved back and forth through the story with no concept of time or logic. Minerva, the roses, Conrad’s leg, the ringmasters and harpies and hellhounds and Rovers and the Fair all figured in his narrative as he gazed at the kitchen table, telling his story to the book titles glinting up at him from beneath the glass tabletop.

If he had looked up now and then, perhaps he would have seen Liza’s expression change. Her glare had been fixed in the beginning, but as he talked her face slid into a look of disbelief and then horror. But Christian, unable to face the glare he thought she still wore, stared at the table and talked himself hoarse until she broke through his babble.

“Christian, stop it.”

He looked up. Her voice was constricted, her eyes wide and glazed over with tears.

“Liza?”

“Stop—just stop it.”

Christian’s heart fluttered in his throat. This wasn’t right; she was supposed to be comforted by knowing where her husband was, or—or something like that, he thought.

“Liza,” he said, “what’s wrong?”

Her eyebrows shot up, and she slumped back in her seat.

“What’s wrong,” she said wonderingly. “What’s wrong? It’s—it’s fantastic. It’s unbelievable.”

“Oh,” Christian said uncomfortably. A memory of the balloon-artist patting his leg at the same words glimmered at the top of his mind. “Well—yes. Yes, it is. But—”

Tears leaked from her eyes, not from sorrow and loneliness this time but horrified tears at her friend’s apparent nervous breakdown.

“Either,” she said, “you are mocking me in the cruelest way I could ever imagine, or you’ve finally read too many books and lost your grip on reality.”

“Liza—”

“And I’m going home.” She pushed away from the table and strode toward the front door. Christian stared after her for a moment and then jumped up and followed her.

“You can’t go home now. It’s three in the morning, the buses won’t be—”

“I don’t need a bus.”

She snatched her shoes from the foyer and opened the door. Christian reached for her hand in desperation.

“Liza, you can’t—that hellhound could still be out there—”

She swung around to face him, glowering at him through her tears.

“Let—me—go,” she said in a low voice.

He released her hand but called after her as she marched off the front stoop and down the street. “Liza—Liza!”

The night had grown cool and foggy, so humid that Christian’s hair curled into ringlets about his ears and forehead as he watched after her. Liza strode into the mist with her high-heels hooked over her fingers. He gazed into the fog long after she’d vanished from sight, his brow furrowed and his hair growing curlier and curlier.

The ivy on the park wall glinted in the fog. Christian brushed the damp hair out of his face.

A hellhound howled somewhere beyond the wall.

Christian skittered back inside his house and slammed the door shut. His heart pounded as he peered out the foyer windows, but silence had fallen again and he could see nothing but fog and the dim shape of the wall.

The cat crept into the foyer and wound around its owner’s legs, mewling uneasily and starting at odd noises. The cuckoo clock chimed four. Liza would be home by now, Christian thought; he should call to make sure. But if he called now, she would surely know it was him, and perhaps she would refuse to answer the phone, and he would have no way of knowing if she’d made it home safely or not.

His heartbeat calmed gradually as he sat on the foyer floor, peeking out the window every now and then to check that the street was empty. The fog swirled. The cat tensed and stared out the window with glowing eyes.

“What is it?” Christian asked, for he could see nothing but fog. The cat twitched its tail at him in reply. The sky was the dark blue-grey of the pre-dawn hour; the Fair-folk would be packing up to go through the portal soon.

Exhaustion draped over the accountant like a blanket. He slipped into sleep there on the foyer floor, his slumber riddled with unsettling dreams in which harpies and hellhounds chased him through the maze and he could not find Conrad or Minerva, no matter how long he searched.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:26 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here!

Erm, what can I say to this chapter? This is going to end up being a long list of comments, a glued together string of praises that I will have to call a review--even though it will end up sadly incomplete.

His head and feet hung over its arms even when he had scrunched his body up as small as it would go


Dude--Christian, I know how you feel. Absolutely. You have no idea how hard it is to sleep on a love-seat, Blue! I am 6' 3, not immensely tall, but still tall enough to hit my head on everything and anything. There is no way I can sleep comfortably on a love seat. Its like I have to curl in a ball like a potato bug and try to wiggle as close in as possible to make room for my long legs. xD. You did a very realistic visual there. :P

As for Liza, we start to see more of her character here. She is an entirely different woman than Minerva. Totally. I mean, almost like an opposite. She is calm, yes. But Minerva shows her emotions. Liza is all about self-control, looking professional and completely in control of herself and everything around her.

FOR ONCE, JUST LET IT GO AND DEPEND ON SOMEONE ELSE, GIRL. CHRISTIAN KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.

Yuss. Now that I have that out of my system, I can continue. I love, love how you describe her reluctant crying. The soft plop in the tea was just the perfect visual and the perfect sound. I just love these little parts that build an overall amazing description and narrative of the scene. You have managed to twist narrative, dialogue, description and development all into one scene. Perfect. Just perfect.

One thing troubles me, and I don't know why, but it didn't make sense. Sure, his house is closer, but why didn't she go home in the first place? Was it that big of a difference between houses or did she just want to spend the night over at Christian's or something instead of walking home? The last chapter touched on it a little bit, but not that much, and this chapter told more about it, but I feel as though a bigger motive is missing. I think that she should have had a bigger, more concrete reason for coming to his house rather than merely taking a taxi or another bus home that night. Maybe I missed something.

He slipped into sleep there on the foyer floor, his slumber riddled with unsettling dreams in which harpies and hellhounds chased him through the maze and he could not find Conrad or Minerva, no matter how long he searched.


Absolute perfection. <3 I love how you delve into his dreamworld, too, not just the world of the awake. Your description of his dream is just too wonderful, too real life. Your word choice is perfect, too. Random comment, but absolutely true. Positively true. Annnddd... I can't think of another word to describe true. Oh well. :P

I would say "keep me posted, but there isn't much of a reason to that...
~Darth Timmyjake




BluesClues says...


Thank you! I'm glad you liked it, because Liza has been really hard for me to get right. So definitely let me know what you think of her at any given moment.

(Also, she and Conrad live all the way across town, so, yeah: a much longer walk that way, and it's late at night, and she's tired.)



BluesClues says...


P.S. As someone who is nearly a full foot shorter than you, I consider 6'3 immensely tall.



timmyjake says...


hee-hee You did a good job with his height. I am ALWAYS banging my head into something. I have a few scars on my face from hitting stuff... So yeah.



BluesClues says...


Heh heh. I just can't reach stuff on the top shelves. Unless I climb on the counters or something.



timmyjake says...


hee-hee, you sound like my sisters. :P



User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:32 am
View Likes
Messenger wrote a review...



Messenger is back, starving, and ready for more! RAWR!

Something brushed against his thigh.

desgivtb jgfnhtrbhb *Shivers up and down my spine go* So terrifying not knowing what it is.

And I had absolutely not nitpicks whatsoever to say the whole time, so this may bee a shorter review once again. But anyway let's get to the meat (or should I sat the berry since he didn't get his salmon) of the story. Terrible pun isn't it?
Gaah! so the hand thing freaked me out, as did the marsh-with. I can of viewed her as the witch in Narnia, but more creepy. I thought she was going to maybe be nice to hi when she gave him the stick, but I think she is just trying to kind of control him. And she may be doing a fantastically good job of it too if I am not mistaken.
Shoot those dumb garden gnomes for never helping! But I have a feeling that later on they just might.
I have to say that I really think you did a good job of Christian's physical problems. His hunger, his soreness, and his thristyness. But something I've felt the whole time, is a lack of emotion. As much action as there is (and there is quite a lot) I really have never felt Christian's mental state. He may be tired, or sore, or hungry, but we never really feel his internal struggle up in his noggin. It's something I meant to tell you about sooner but plumb forgot about. It isn't that you need to add a whole ton of stuff but maybe a phrase here and there like: "His heart was pumping like crazy as he dashed across the marsh".
Besides that everything is really shaping up for a dandy finish! I don't trust this lady/witch/cat one bit.

~Messenger




BluesClues says...


"Plumb forgot about"? Where the heckles are you from, dude? "Plumb forgot about." Sorry. I'm stuck on that phrase. Not that I won't take your advice to heart.



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 pm
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey Blue!

Sorry, no review here. Rydia has done a wonderful job and picked out everything there possibly is. I would just like to mention a few things quickly. First, beautiful descriptions all through this chapter, it was lovely. And fun to read. I also loved the mystery at the end, with who could possible be talking to him in his mind.

Christian isn't the smartest kid in the book is he? Learning that the keeper was protective of trees and then asking to start a fire. xD Oh boy!

It was dark here as it had been in the park


I would've put it was 'as' dark because it sounded smoother in my opinion.

I didn't quite get how Christian was stuck. You were over-explaining it I think. Trying to explain it in such a way we'd understand but then giving us too much info. Maybe you should mention that his feet were in the water and his shoulder and head not, resting on the moss. And that no matter how much he pulled his body seemed to slide back into the liquid or something. Much shorter, simpler and maybe a bit easier to understand?

I might just leave this as a mini-review...

Deanie x




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:10 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



One more...

Specifics

1. Is he sinking further in or just stuck? Does he have to kick his feet in the water to stay above the surface, or can he touch some kind of ground? I'm just trying to get a feel for what is stopping him from sinking further, which I feel should be the case. The more water his clothes take in, the heavier he is and the stronger the down pull on his body. Oh - so it's a small hole. That makes more sense, but I still feel he should be straining to stay above water. A person's arms would get tired if they're having to support at least some of his weight.

2.

I am Narodnaya, the Keeper of the Marshes. And you are?
The introductions feel a little bit forced. I'm not sure I would feel the need to know her name - I'd probably let her lead the conversation and do anything she asked me to. I mean, when complete strangers have helped me, I can't recall often asking their names in the tangle of the situation. Usually such things get forgotten until later? So this feels like it's being done for the reader?

3. Why does she let him go? A moment ago she was boasting about how she doesn't let people who are bad in her lands go and showed no remorse about killing someone. So why doesn't she try to kill him now? He's even thinking he'll start a fire later... Christian is so dumb (which kind of makes me like him more).

4. I wondered actually, why did he leave all of the food behind? He was going to be gone until at least sunrise and that's a long time to not even take a sandwich and some water with you! I feel like he should have had some food.

5. The small detail about not being able to open the walnuts is lovely. I am inclined to repeat that Christian is beautifully stupid though. It really doesn't require more than a small rock to open a walnut. Alternatively, if you have two, you can squeeze them together in your hands and one of the walnuts will always crack. But... maybe I just know more about walnuts than Christian so I'm willing to overlook this. It would also be tiring to crack more than a few with your hands and you'd have to be pretty desperate for food. Partly because walnuts are not so tasty :p

6. Doesn't he find it odd that he found the tree again not once but three times? That's more than simply getting lost and he has been around the supernatural for a while - I think he should be at least a little bit suspicious. All of your readers will be ;)

Overall

Lovely chapter - especially the mysterious voice at the end. I'm guessing it's our lovely guardian of the forest again xD Soooo I've not much else to say, as you can probably tell, and I like your writing style. It's very easy to follow and for the most part, Christian is fun to watch bumbling around. I kind of hope he'll do something a bit more heroic in the future, but for now he's entertaining.

Heather xx




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



Okay, those gnomes are just too cute. xD I love them. But maybe you should explain why they are still statues. Is he not in the Otherworld? Do they only come to life in the park or what?

Besides that, you're super good with describing things. I can also tell you did your research on bogs (or you have experience with them). The scenes you describe with such detail are always portrayed beautifully and rich and I love it so. It's one of my favorite things about your story. :)

Okay, so this marsh chick is weird. I'm not even sure how to say her name correctly xD she's also really weird. I laughed at Christian asking her for something to start a fire with. A fire, in the bog? I mean, I know a lot of the place is damp/wet, but you think the keeper is gonna let you set a fire that may or may not grow out of control? Silly boy.

I found the ending even funnier. Here's to hoping she brings him water and food, and maybe she isn't as creepy as we think she is. Just ugly. ;)




BluesClues says...


1. The statues turn back into statues when they leave the park, hence why Minerva can't leave the park.

2. I've actually walked on a bog outside Lansing, MI, twice, and it's basically the coolest thing I've ever done...which I then used to make Christian miserable for a couple chapters.

3. I say "NAIR-od-NY-ah," but she's named after the highest peak of the Urals and I've no idea how it's officially pronounced. But who cares, my story.



Iggy says...


That last line though.

*dies of laughter*



BluesClues says...


Welp, it's true. I might care more if the Internet would actually give me a good IPA pronunciation, but I haven't found one yet so whatevs.




See, we could have been called The Shoes.
— Paul McCartney