z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Book Man, Chapter 23 (Revised)

by BluesClues


23 THE WAKING OF THE GARDENS

He thought he heard the far-off scrape and clang of the gate closing, imagined the rasp of the padlock; still he waited. The fairy lights winked on overhead, one at a time at first as if waking up reluctantly on a Sunday morning, and then faster and faster until they zipped into being. The gas lamps followed, fading on but burning steadily once they were lit. All of it happened on its own; Christian saw no one lighting the lamps, and none of the gardens’ inhabitants seemed to have come to life yet. Through the trees above him, he caught the faint glimmer of stars in the darkening sky.

By now all noise of people had vanished, to be replaced by the night sounds of crickets and toads, the occasional owl or bat. Christian stood up just as the statue before him began to shift and move, so slowly at first he thought he was imagining it. But no, there it was again. The marble arms of the man tightened around the marble woman wrapped in them. Then a streak of skin-color shot through the arms, spreading and widening and giving way to other colors until the man and the woman were both flesh instead of marble. Christian gave a squeak of surprise as they began to move, untangling from each other. They looked around for the source of the noise. He leapt up and ran back to the rose garden.

As he neared the bench, he thought Minerva, frozen behind it, moved, but the next moment she was so still and white he was sure he was mistaken. He sat down on the bench to wait, glancing back over his shoulder at her.

After a few moments, the air inside the trellis ahead of him crackled and wavered like a heat wave had passed through it. Then it stilled, but not for long: people and animals began to blossom out of it in twos and threes, laughing and talking. They came out on the far side of the trellis, with their backs to Christian. They did not notice him but headed straight for the fairgrounds.

The Rover wagons came through last, one at a time, but from the back Christian could not tell which was Imelda’s. No matter, he thought. He would visit Conrad after Minerva came to life. Perhaps she could come with him.

After the last wagon had passed through the trellis, the air within it wiggled again and then stilled. The portal that had opened to bring the Fair-folk to Earth had closed for the night.

Minerva was still a statue.

Fifteen minutes went by, then half an hour, then an hour; she did not come to life. Around him the garden gnomes unfroze and waddled away to the Fair, and the life-size statues made their slow way off in the same direction. The mermaid dove into her pool. Christian turned around in his seat again and said in a trembling voice, “Minerva?”

But she did not move.

Perhaps it was simply something to do with the magic, he told himself; perhaps she never came to life as early as the others. But his heart thumped about in his chest like it was trying to knock a hole in his ribcage. What if something was preventing her from coming to life? What if it was Goblin, somehow ensuring the roses would go unwatered and die so he could break free of his prison?

Christian gazed at the thousands of roses around him, thinking of all Conrad and Minerva had told him about Goblin and the Good Magic. He didn’t know what would happen if the roses died, but he felt something would happen and that it would be bad when it did—worse, even, than Minerva remaining frozen as a statue.

Christian hesitated only a moment. Then he darted through the maze, across the fairgrounds, into the woods, and over the wall, back across the street to the Book House.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:08 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here!

Yay! I just received more information on the park and how it works. In the other chapter, I was curious as to what happened when the park became dark. I mean, I kind of guessed that they came alive because of the mention of empty pedestals in the previous chapters, but I never put the two and two together--to get five. I didn't have to. You explained everything in such a perfect way, feeding us the necessary information to understand the plot and the deepening of the plot without making us feel like you were feeding us something, but more like the book was just flowing through. And the book was flowing through. It never stops. It just flows so beautifully, I can never nitpick your style. Ever. It is just too perfect.

He leapt up and ran back to the rose garden.


This part doesn't act as a good enough closure for that part. I expected them to follow Christian, but its almost like its over. Completed. Done with. But the couple heard him. Why didn't they inspect further what noise had made that? They seemed interested before, but no mention was made of why they didn't come and take a better look. Perhaps Christian can hear their whispering or something after he dives off, saying that it was nothing or some such?

the air inside the trellis ahead of him crackled


It may just be me, but I think that this description needs more. Not the description of the crackling and whatnot, but more a description on what this trellis looks like, and where it is in the garden. Hopefully I didn't miss an explanatory paragraph from the earlier chapters. That would be embarrassing. xD

Okay, the last few paragraphs. They were good, and I love the small internal conflict while he thinks about what he should do--stay or go, water or not water. But I had to read the section over a few times to know what he was going into the Book House for, and I think its because you don't really mention what is wrong with the roses except once. The rest is about the conflict of what he should do--either stay with Minerva and see Conrad, or go get his watering thingy.

AND MINERVA REMAINED A STATUE. My goodness.

You do have a way of pulling me in to your story, Blue. Not just pull me in for a scene, but the entire book. Its like one of your other reviewers mentioned in the previous chapters. You don't put huge cliff-hangers on the end of your chapters. They are subtle, barely recognizable, but they are there and you feel them tugging at you to continue reading the story. I suppose that is why I am here. The story is entrancing. :)

Keep it up, Blue. I just noticed that you are still posting chapters. O_ o Am I ever gonna catch up?
~Darth Timmyjake




BluesClues says...


I just noticed that you are still posting chapters. O_ o Am I ever gonna catch up?


...eventually.



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:27 pm
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Blueeeee!

I'm doing more than one review today and I have a ton-load of homework to do...

To the chapter. I knew Minerva was shy and that was why she took so long! I guessed it! I thought it was so sweet that she admitted it :) They are so perfect for each other.

I feel like I missed out on an important chapter or I'm missing something essential to this part. Since when does he know Aurelia and know that the roses hold people within them? He seemed surprised at the voices, but not when this little lady popped out. They talked like they had met before, and were old friends. Honestly, I was a bit puzzled. Either the introduction to her character needs to be more introductionary, like my name is and all that. Or I'm just dumb - probably the case - and need some help here :D

I thought it would also be interesting if you added in here a bit on how Christian feels a bit to blame for the whole ordeal. I mean, wasn't he supposed to be urgently speaking to the Good Magic a while ago to warn them something like this might be happening soon?

And I know he is with Minerva right now, and that always seems to make his thinking a little bit foggy, but doesn't he wonder where Conrad is? How long is he going to be away, because meanwhile he needs to keep lying to Liza! I thought he might've puzzled over that a bit more. Christian seems like the thinking and overthinking type of guy.

I am looking forwards to seeing what Christian is going to do with Minerva and what he is going to do about the Good Magic having packed everyone away.... best read on to find out.

Deanie x




BluesClues says...


I think you must have missed a chapter, maybe, because he actually did already meet and talk to Aurelia and her sisters. And they were like, "Hey, you wanna go to the Otherworld for us and find Morrow?" and he was like, "What? No, I just, um, Conrad told me to warn you about Goblin, I'm pretty sure he would've mentioned if I was supposed to go off on an adventure."

I mean, now he's going anyway, but he did already talk to them once. Probably one of the later teen chapters--fourteen/fifteen, maybe?



Deanie says...


*facepalm* totally missed it... I will go back to read...



User avatar
667 Reviews


Points: 11727
Reviews: 667

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:44 pm
View Likes
Messenger wrote a review...



Messenger here for you for a review or two!!!! This chapter already looks like something really bad has happened!

Christian threw a hand over his mouth as nausea rose within him at the sight of the blood and the beautiful forehead crumpling in pain, but not for long. A moment later he darted forward to catch Minerva as she collapsed.
Oh no this is all way too bad. What is going on! Someone please help!!! I'm going ballistic right now Blue.

He set her down for a moment and worked at taking off his shirt, fumbling with the buttons until they were all undone. He yanked at the fabric, but the shirt remained whole

You are missing a period at the end of this sentence.

“You’re here now,” she said.

Aww . .yeah enough of that. Back to business.

olden light glowed all around her and Minerva’s arm, so bright that Christian had to look away

Rapunzel!!! XDD

Well this started off really sad but thankfully it got a little happier by the end. I am really anxious as to what will happen now. Everything seems to be going bad. I guess it's off to the next chapter!

~Messenger




User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 335
Reviews: 46

Donate
Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:28 am
View Likes
BitterRosemary wrote a review...



HI! BitterRosemary here again.
I am still in love with your stories. They are magical, and posses all the true qualities of a bestseller. This story in articular was epic because of the unexpected loss of Minerva's hand. It threw another wrench in the story and it was beautiful to watch Christian struggle to dave the "woman" he loves but helpless to do so.
The ending was spectacular.
A couple spelling/grammatical errors here and there, but nothing major.
Great as always!
BitterRosemary




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:04 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



I FOUND A FEW NITPICK, YES I DID.

He yanked at the fabric, but the shirt remained whole He set upon it with his teeth and tore and tore until his jaw ached


Missing a period, there. ;)

Now Goblin can amass his forces, and in the meantime they have weakened my sisters and me and chased away all others who would oppose them and their master.”


So I think this would read better if it was myself. What say you?


OKAY I LOVE THIS WHY IS THIS SO GOOD.

But you know what?

No. Don't talk to me anymore. How dare you. That was so beneath you. MINERVA KILLER.

YOU TERRIBLE PERSON.

No, but seriously, if she dies, I will ;___;

So far, it's getting crazily good, oh god, I'm totally enthralled here. I don't understand how other people aren't reading this, but I don't care, since I was here first and I am your biggest fan, kay.

But I digress. This is getting really good. I can't tell you how happy I am that we are finally on track here! Getting back to the main point, which is Marrow and Goblin and their war and why Christian must go forth and find Marrow, which he better do, that chicken.

He should totally take Minerva into the Otherworld and see if that helps, because how else will she heal? He can't take her to a hospital, because she will turn into a statue come dawn, but what else can he do? The fairies are weak, but maybe they can open the portal for him. And CONRAD. Where is the guardian? How did they even get into the park? Is it because the guardian was weakened? If so, why not attack earlier?

SO MANY QUESTIONS. PLEASE POST ANOTHER INSTALLMENT AND ANSWER THEM AND I STILL HATE YOU ALRIGHT.

<3





Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson