z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Book Man, Chapters 21-22 (Revised)

by BluesClues


21 BARTIMEUS CATCHER III

Each evening for several days, it went this way. Christian arrived home at six, ate dinner, and went across the street to open the balloon-cart. He always brought a book with him, expecting to read between customers, but there was no between. From the time he opened the cart until Celadon Park closed, he had a steady stream of people visiting him—not just children, but adults who had seen him with Conrad on Saturdays and knew or guessed he lived in the Book House. Questions about Conrad he answered again and again with tales of an illness incapacitating but not life-threatening; questions about himself were more difficult. He was not used to telling his life story, not used to people even asking about it. He never knew how much to say.

The most frequent questioner was Bartimeus Catcher III, the older gentleman who had spoken to Christian on his first day as substitute balloon-artist.

“How old are you?” he would ask. “Do you read much? Have you a family?”

To which Christian would reply: thirty-seven, a little, and no more than anyone else has. It was all he felt like saying. Through the course of more questions, Mr. Catcher found out that Christian’s parents were both gone, but not that his mother had died after undergoing chemo that did nothing but make her hair fall out; that Christian had been collecting books for years, but not that he loved all of them too much to have a favorite; that he had known Conrad for several years now, but not that he worked with the balloon-artist’s wife.

Today was no different.

“We feel like we hardly know you,” Mr. Catcher said.

Christian concentrated on the poodle he was making. He could never be sure, on the occasions when Mr. Catcher spoke this way, whether the old gentleman was using the royal “we” or if he felt he spoke for all the people of the Town, particularly anyone in the crowd gathered around the balloon-cart.

“You say very much without revealing anything at all,” Mr. Catcher said.

That was certainly true. Christian couldn’t understand why they were all so interested in him anyway. He wasn’t an interesting person.

“Tell me,” Mr. Catcher said, “have you a girl in your life?”

Christian paused in the middle of twisting the end of the balloon into the poodle’s head, thinking of Minerva.

“No,” he said.

“No? Heavens,” Mr. Catcher said. “It’s not good for a man to be so alone in the world.”

Christian said nothing but handed the completed poodle to the little boy who’d asked for it. Then he practiced a butterfly as Mr. Catcher kept talking.

“There was this girl, when I was a young lad like yourself…”

Mr. Catcher always referred to him as a young lad. He was older than the Smithsons, and he looked his age: owlish glasses, a rotund figure, and a bushy white mustache that put the sprinkling of hair on his head to shame. Christian nodded at appropriate moments in the story, but he gave himself over to the making of the butterfly.

Mr. Catcher was still talking when the butterfly was done, so Christian set it on the cart for display and preoccupied himself with a lumpy turtle. He hadn’t gotten the hang of turtles yet.

“…she was beautiful, and my, did she love me! But I’m a self-made man, you know, and back in those days I wasn’t anything wealthy…”

He was impatient to see Minerva, but even after he closed the balloon-cart it would be a while until he saw her: he would wash up, choose a new book for them to read together, and sit with Conrad a bit before making his way to the rose garden. He could picture her standing amidst the rose bushes when he arrived, her tunic shining white in the darkness like a beacon, the earthen pitcher balanced on her shoulder with a delicate hand.

“…but I ended up marrying my dear Winifred, of course, so all’s well that ends well,” the old man concluded.

“Indeed,” Christian said.

“So you find yourself a girl, young Abernathy. You’re a good-looking lad. I’m sure you can catch one.” The old man winked, as he often did, because he delighted in giving advice to young lads. “Plenty of time for you to be married, yet, but there’s no time like the present.”

“Indeed,” Christian said again, and he watched Mr. Catcher stroll off for an evening in the park. He gave little heed to the old man’s words, except to turn pink whenever Mr. Catcher felt a need to offer him personal advice, but he felt a twinge of envy as the gray suit disappeared into the cool dimness of the park wall.

He closed the balloon-cart up early, grabbed a book, and went into the park to wait for nightfall.

22 SNEAKING

This was the first time Christian had come into Celadon Park during open hours. In the light of the early evening, the wood was filled with a friendly silence, all smooth grey pillars and sun- dappled the grass. Even the people in this section of the park were quiet, occupied with reading or sketching, or simply lying on their backs and watching the leaves move in the breeze. In the clearing, scads of children ran about, flying kites with their parents or chasing after balls and discs, but compared to the crowds of the Fair it was nothing.

Yet, for the first time, the sheer size of the park struck the accountant with awe. From the outside, Celadon Park seemed hardly bigger than the average municipal garden, but when he thought of all it held within it—the wood, the Fairgrounds, the gardens and the maze—he was astonished. It was like walking into Mary Poppins’ carpet bag. The only reason he could think for his not having noticed its size before was the fact that its enormity didn’t seem at all out of place in the midst of its nighttime magic.

Christian made his way to the gardens to wait for darkness. Even in the sunlight, the trees here seemed darker and quieter than the woods across the clearing. The fairy lights were invisible, the gas lamps off; but every pedestal held a statue. The sight of so many figures was daunting where there were normally empty slabs of marble or stone. Christian’s skin prickled as he thought he saw a head turn, a fist close—but when he looked again, he saw sculptures frozen in place.

In the center of the maze, there was a statue on the stone pedestal with the plaque that said in memory of Morrow, the king and his steed. The huge black horse that grazed near the pedestal at night was frozen in place, with a heroic lift of its hoof and proud arch of its neck, and upon its bare back sat a man. He, too, was larger than life. He had a hard, proud face and long hair that swept back from his forehead and flowed down to his shoulders. His clothes were not that of a king, a simple vest and shirt over even simpler pants and tall boots, but (Christian reminded himself) Morrow had been a nomadic king, not a high king of Europe sitting on a throne in a palace.

The rose garden was deserted except for a middle-age couple sprinkling seed on the ground for the birds. Christian sat on the bench to wait, scuffing the cobblestones with his toes as he opened his book.

The courtyard seemed quieter than usual, and it unnerved him. Then he realized it was because the mermaid who splashed about in the pool at night was now fastened to the pedestal in its center, not dusky mauve with lilac eyes but smooth stone. Water sprayed out from between her hands, which were raised above her head as if in supplication, and her tail was folded beneath her so it looked like she was kneeling. Christian wondered if it was uncomfortable to sit that way all day or if she couldn’t feel anything until nightfall.

He had the unpleasant feeling someone was watching him from behind. He glanced over his shoulder and fell off the bench, disturbing the birds and the middle-age couple feeding them. But he did not apologize—there was someone there—a statue. Just a statue, a tall marble woman with a pitcher on her shoulder, gazing coldly eastwards.

He realized with clarity this was Minerva as she was in the daytime, a garden statue, her long tunic and soft curls hard and unmoving, her dark eyes white and dead, her fair skin pale with a whiteness whiter than the pages of a book. His heart sank. But only for a moment, for after all (he told himself), it didn’t matter that she was a garden statue. She was Minerva. They could read together and talk together, water the roses and laugh and walk through the rose beds, even if it was only at night. He picked himself up and reseated himself on the bench, comforted by the thought she was with him, though he wished it wasn’t in this strange frozen form.

The sky had just become streaked with the blue-grey of dusk when a uniformed man came sauntering down the cobblestone path.

“The park is now closing,” he announced to the middle-age couple. “The park is now closing,” he said to Christian. “Time to be moving off, sir, so we can lock the gate for the night.”

Of course they weren’t going to let him stay here until darkness fell. Christian had not thought of that. His heart fluttered as he crept after the guard and middle-age couple until they reached the maze. Then he fell back and hid in the rose bushes, crouching behind a statue of two lovers until the footsteps had died away.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here.

I admit that I have known about this for a while, because I was a naughty Timmy and read the other reviews on your previous chapters, and since you switched things around and elongated your book, I have known about certain things way before I should have. Naughty Me. I should have waited. :(

But anywho, here I am. And I read this. Actually, I read it a few times. Something I like to keep in mind while reviewing, is that I am not here to only praise your work. I mean, most of the time that is all I can find, but still! I am supposed to find something to nitpick, right? But it's so hard!

Everything you write is just so perfecttttt. Your characterization in this chapter is fascinating, especially the part about Minerva. The part where she is stone, and Christian realizes it, not only fashions him in a much bigger way, because we find that it doesn't matter much to him, (he is an amazing person. :P ) but we are able to build a bigger character of Minerva, too. No wonder she has never left the park! She is stone in the daytime, and she tends the gardens during the day. What else does she have time for? And the thought to leave the garden probably never occurred to her. I mean, did she even know about the outside before that day when Christian came to her? How would she have? She is a statue when people from the outside are there, and only people from the park come alive during the night, sooo... Please remind me if I got something messed up here. I hate having the wrong impression of scenes. xD

scuffing the cobblestones with his toes as he opened his book


That is a little backwards. Which one is the harder substance, his shoes or the cobblestones? I think he would be scuffing his shoes on the cobblestones rather than the other way around.

My only other part of critique is that I think there was too short of a period where Christian was upset. I mean, he just found out that the girl of his dreams, the girl he loves (well, he doess) is a statue during the night! I think that there would be some pretty big disappointment factors to implement there. He doesn't have to look into the sky and scream Nooooo! relentlessly, but I think he should feel some sadness and a hint of despair(?) for a longer period before he begins to pull himself over it. Just a thought.

Bartimeus Catcher III is a most strange personage. I wonder what part he plays in the entire story. It is obvious that he is more than just a flash character. He is going to play an important part in the book--but what? Just the way he questions Christian about everything makes me wonder if he has different motives than merely learning more about the younger man out of curiosity. He seems to want something. But what?

I will find out later, won't I? :P
~Darth Timmyjake




BluesClues says...


*Yoda voice* Find out later, you may.

(Shut up, Yoda. That was maddeningly unhelpful.)

Anywho, thanks muchos--any part where you feel like Christian's emotion is either under or overdone definitely needs to be pointed out to me, because that's something I've been struggling with a LOT since the beginning. Seems like it's getting better, but there are still lapses, so I definitely appreciate that.



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:49 am
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hoi Blue!

Morning! If I try to review at least one of your chapters a day it may take a while but it's an aim at least. This was an alright chapter in my opinion... You had Mr. Catcher seeming mysteriously interesting the park, as if he knew something surreal happened beyond those gates. And if he knew Christian had something to do with it. Hmm... he has piqued my interest!

Tonight—tonight he must return to the park


There seemed to be a stumble like when Christian talks in here. I thought since he isn't talking, as well as adding some finality to the sentence itself you should remove the little stutter.

Also, just because the hellhound turns invisible doesn't mean its gone! When it turned invisible it still managed to whack the bus, which means it was still there! Just because he can't see it, it could be there. So shouldn't they be running, or even Christian riding the horse away as fast as possible? I would be scared D:

Deanie x




User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:33 pm
View Likes
Messenger wrote a review...



Messenger here for as Review is getting tight as we near the finish line!!!! And all of a sudden I realized I'm already at chapter 31!!! OOO_OOO
so . . .


He wanted to stay inside with the air-conditioning and his tea and stay cool until evening, at which point he would go to the park (no matter how hot it was). He could, he thought as he buttoned his shirt. He squinted through the foyer window at the balloon-cart waiting for him against the park wall.

You have three sentences in a row tarting with "he." Mix it up a little Blue.


So Goblin is finally going to act is he? Well besides the hellhounds anyway! Can't wait for it!!


And Mr. Catcher shows up. I've had a bad feeling about him all along and it isn't getting any better. Hopefully he isn't bad . .
>.>
<.<

H hurried onward.

You are missing an E in H" as you can see.

And so Goblin has attacked it looks like. Chapter thirty-four-s chapter is tugging me to read so off I go.
Oh wait is the king . . . . noooo! I thought that might happen! What of Minerva and the others like the mermaid and the couple? *runs to read the next chapters quickly*

~Messenger




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:35 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hi BlueAfrica!

Please bear in mind that I haven't read the earlier sections so you'll have to apply your own judgement to my review and if you think you've covered anything I say already, then feel free to ignore!

Specifics

1.

Liza was already up, with a kettle of tea on, and eggs and bacon going on the stove.
A kettle of tea sounds really awkward. I think you need to either say a pot of tea on or the kettle on, but you don't put tea in the kettle, if you see what I mean?

2.
“In that case I shall let you get on with your business,” Mr. Catcher said, but instead of moving on to go home, he leaned close and put a surprisingly strong hand on Christian’s arm. “It is quite a terrible business about the park. And so mysterious. If someone were to happen inside and find out precisely what happened, there are interested parties—that is to say—there are some of us who are particularly concerned and would like to know more about it.”


I really like this part! I was finding the encounter with the old man to be a bit dull for a while, but this kind of makes up for it. There's a nice touch of mystery and he's instantly more interesting, but I wonder if you couldn't make him a little more interesting in general or build a bit more tension in that scene? At the moment it just feels like stalling. There's no sense of urgency because we don't feel like Christian won't get to the park since the old man appears to have every intention of going home. We just feel like it's a conversation we have to sit through until we can get back to the real action. I hope that makes sense!

3. Is Christian surprised by the lights which turned on by themselves? Afraid? I couldn't get a feel for his emotions at that point and I want to know if this is normal in this world or if it's unusual for lights to come on by themselves! I want to know if Christian is more afraid now that there is light, then he was when there wasn't, or if it's comforting all the same.

Overall

There's some lovely description here and I can't really comment on much else to tell you the truth! I'm a bit uncertain about how old Christian is, but I'm guessing a young man - early twenties? He seems like an interesting character and this was very easy to read so nice work. I'd say your atmosphere is perhaps less tense than it could be, but other than that, it was a pretty captivating read.

All the best!

Heather xx




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:46 pm
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



H hurried onward.


Missing the e in "he."

Also take a look at that coding error, where you tried to put small-caps on the sign for the park. The codes for the forums aren't the same as they are for published works (weird, right?) so consider just italicizing it.


Okay, so OH MY GOD I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR SO LONG. These chapters, oh my god. Finally, we're getting somewhere! I love it. I love how you hint toward a fight, or possible, a sneak attack that happened. One thing I find odd is that no one says anything about the mess inside the park. But maybe it's because they haven't seen it, or perhaps someone who knows about the Fair Folk is keeping it on the DL? Either way, it makes sense. Gotta keep the normal folks out of the park for now, eh?

I am worried about everyone! So post the next chapter please. D:





It's a pity the dictionary has only one definition of beauty. In my world, there are 7.9 billion types of it- all different and still beautiful.
— anne27