z

Young Writers Society


16+

My Scar

by Jcsmooth


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

My Scar


You're my scar, you've made your mark.
Branded by your memory, within my mind you'll last forever.
My heart tries to forget you and slowly is winning the war.
For years I was trapped in your heart-shaped prism.

The pain walls rose and rose with no end in sight.
Your words lashed at my back, the fights sapped all of my life.
From you I hoped to escape but every time I ran, it was you who dragged me back.
Each time the walls got smaller,my soul shrank with it.

For a while I was gone to everyone but you.
Trapped in your mymsical will,stuck being your emotional slave.
My heart was blinded by what you used to be.
Escape was my savior, dreams were my hope.

The pain you caused was deeper than any wound.
For some reason I can't forget you,you're my scar.
For the rest of my life I will carry you with me.
I thought I would be lost without you, knowing now that with you I was lost.

Thanks to you my heart is slashed, my hope dashed. dreams were lost, my soul was smashed, and my mind made up.
My heart will forget you, my mind cannot.
You unfortunately were a part of my being.

But today you are just

My Scar


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:57 am
Messenger wrote a review...



The Messenger Knight here to review for you again, as a KotGR, on a wonderful Review Day!

Each time the walls got smaller,my soul shrank with it.

Trapped in your mymsical will,stuck being your emotional slave.

For some reason I can't forget you,you're my scar.

Here are three times where you smash your comma into the words on either side. You know what to do to fix it.
Thanks to you my heart is slashed, my hope dashed. dreams were lost, my soul was smashed, and my

This line seems way too long, especially since the lines afterwards pretty short. I would consider dividing it into several smaller lines. Your decision.
So, this was very well written as usual, and I am not sure if this is a real life experience, but if it is, then I am sorry. Anyway, Defiyance got a lot in her review so I would just refer to her for a lot of help.
Keep it up!




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 3594
Reviews: 53

Donate
Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 am
Deifyance wrote a review...



Hello! My name is Deifyance and i'm doing the review I promised! :D

I would like to start with making the disclaimer that I am not a poetry writer, and thus I cannot offer any instruction or tips on format and function. So I'll purely be reviewing the content and the overall emotional piece.

Poetry to me has always been a romantic art form. The poet, using his/her mastery of the english language to communicate something that would previously not be able to fit into words. By providing rhythm, and a flow to the words, they are able to add emotion and meaning to certain combinations of words. And this, is something I think you do well.

This is obviously speaking of a past romance or close relationship of some kind, and the poet is simply attempting to express the loss and hurt left by such a tragedy.

I'll start with how I felt during the beginning, middle, and end.

You started right off expressing the importance of the person. Expressing the level of the connection, thus increasing the pain of such a connection being severed. I like this because it introduces the characters and sets the tone for the rest of the piece.

Around the middle you begin to tell of the 'inciting incident' or the cause of the pain that would later be expressed through the severing of the relationship. Again, this is well crafted and I am abel to connect to the emotion here. The only thing I would recommend is a little more variety with the words. Add in a little craft and variety. Use some words that express meaning, and make them get bigger and bigger as the story gets worse and worse.

The end is a little lacking. Instead of allowing two or three paragraphs to the middle, and one to the end; you allow four paragraphs to the middle, otherwise known as the 'action part' of the story. Here, we want to know and connect with the outcome of the middle. Instead, all we have is 'but today you are just my scar.' Why? What happened to the relationship? It feels like you stretched out the middle a little too much, and rushed the end.

So, if I were to rewrite this, I would take out a paragraph in the middle; add some bigger words and really focus on the selection of words to reflect the growing stress of the situation. The, I would add in a legitimate ending paragraph explaining what happened and how you have moved past, or maybe not.

This has the potential to be extremely powerful! Depending on the ending; (we aren't sure if its a good ending or bad.) you can allow others to connect to your story and influence them in a certain direction. Don't take that power lightly!

Blessings!




Jcsmooth says...


I appreciate this point of view alot. It's exactly what I need in a review. I wrote this at the beginning of my poetic journey 5 years ago. It's an awesome idea to rewrite this now with my new knowledge of writing!




Half the work that is done in this world is to make things appear what they are not.
— Elias Root Beadle