z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone Language

Words Are Words

by Ary


Words can be kind,
Words can be mean,
Words can be sad
or bring music to your ears.

Words create life,
Words create death,
Words are a mystery...
That's why they are so bright.

In the end...
Words are our salvation
or can be our damnation,
But words are words.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 495
Reviews: 18

Donate
Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:01 pm
View Likes
itsLayal wrote a review...



Just Amazing!

It's so true,this poem shows how words can build a human up or tear them down and that's so accurate.

You expressed it in a great way i loved the part where it's like

"In the end...
Words are our salvation
or can be our damnation,
But words are words."

it adds drama to the whole thing.
great work!




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:22 pm
View Likes
dark wrote a review...



Wow, such an enigma. Everything said here is a fact. Words do much or than we may think. Alternating the good and bad about words if perfectly well don't here. I don't know what the original would have sounded like, but I imagine it was just as good as this, mind boggling, enigmatic, perfectly written poem! Kudos to you! I hope to find more peons like this.




User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 2604
Reviews: 24

Donate
Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:24 pm
View Likes
Rage wrote a review...



Okay, so here goes... The way you alternate lines that highlight the good and bad functions of words is well-done. There is an smooth sort of simplicity in this poem. It is not overdone and the tidiness of it contrasts with the whole overwhelming idea of "words" - which fills my head with unlimited books and pages and conversations and songs. Your ability to say so much in so little "words" is a strength.
I like the way you cover enough aspects of the function of words in order to give your poem enough depth for analysis.
However, in the last stanza, after highlighting all the grand purposes of words, you go on to reduce all the grand notions you had created by including that final sentence "But words are words", thereby stripping words of all the power you seemed to be giving them in the rest of the poem. Did you intend for that to happen?




User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 1028
Reviews: 89

Donate
Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:45 pm
View Likes
Karzkin wrote a review...



I'm sorry to hear you lost the original. Maybe try writing in a word document then copy and pasting to yws? Anyway, review time.

Ok, so I'm not really digging this at all. Apart from line and stanza breaks it's missing pretty much everything necessary for this to qualify as poetry. Modern poetry, especially free verse, is all about evocation. Things like imagery and metaphor are needed to take the reader somewhere, show them something they wouldn't otherwise see. What we have here is basically a shopping list. You're just telling us what you think words are. This could be cool if you managed to surprise the audience and make them think about words in a way they had never even considered before, but everything here utterly mundane. Anti-poetry, really. I think what you need to do is read a lot more poetry to develop a sense of what good poetry actually is. Maybe start by reading every poem on this list, identify your 5 or 10 favourites, then read every poem you can find by the authors of those 5 or 10 poems. Then read some stuff by some of the older YWSers or other young, contemporary poets to see what good modern poetry is. Then you'll be ready to write some of your own good poems. But like I said, how can you write a good poem if you don't know what a good poem actually looks like?

K.




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 380
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:58 am
View Likes
mayyda wrote a review...



Hello,
Let me review this for you.
Ok starting with the first stanza:
Words can be kind,
Words can be mean,
Words can be sad
Or bring music to your ears.
I kind of get the idea behind it, You are highlighting the immensity of words that how they can deliver good and bad feelings and capable enough to turn the listener gloomy or delighted.
Fair description of the capacity of words.
Now heading to the next one:
Words create life,
Words create death,
Words are a mystery...
That's why they are so bright.
It brought hinderance to the flow of poem.....
Create can be better replaced with bring
Words bring life, which could mean can boost up one's spirit.
Then taliking of death and mystery and jumping onto brightness of words is not sound.
Just give a second thought to this part of porm.
Then coming to the last part:
In the end...
Words are our salvation
or can be our damnation,
But words are words.
Good enough.
I would rather you emphasized on the diversity of words instead of words are words, like Words say alot or any thing better.
To end up , i like the title and yes words are really impprtant and you dispayed it best.
The poem went good, a little review at your end will be a grat help.
Keep writing, keep enjoying.
Afterall this is what words are all about..... :)




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 258
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:48 am
View Likes
TheSybarite wrote a review...



Hello! okay, firstly- great idea. Very unique, very different topic you have picked up for a poem, and you have done a pretty good job. :) My favorite lines would be "Words are our salvation
or can be our damnation", basically I love the whole of the last stanza. The end of the poem is beautiful, meaningful and strong, "But words are words." All- in- all, good work!




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:02 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Hmmmm... Good idea for a poem! I think you could expand on this more.
There are a few parts I do not get: In the 2nd stanza:
"Words create life,
Words create death,
Words are a mystery...
That's why they are so bright"

If words 'create' death then... how are they 'bright'? I think you need to look for a different adjective, maybe something about how they are capable of change, and powerful.

I think in the 3rd stanza the 2nd line should be: "Words can be our salvation" just because they can't be both the salvation and damnation, so to not contradict the next line, I think "can be" would be stranger.

You have a really nice start, and you did a great job with the grammar and spelling, so many thanks for that!

I look forward to reading more of your work!!!
~alliyah~





I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
— Edgar Allan Poe