z

Young Writers Society

Squills 12/8-12/15/13

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:43 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Iggy

General Editors
ShadowVyper
KnightTeen

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
SparkToFlame

Community Reporter
Sapi

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Quibbles Columnist
Vacant - PM SquillsBot if interested

Social Correspondent
Iggy

Associate of Pruno
Blackwood

General Reporters
ArcticMonkey
TheMessenger
OliveDreams
NightWolf
KittyCatMeow
whitewolfpuppy

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Hannah

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:47 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THANKSGIVING 2013
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

We often see all of your inspirational writing but its always just as fabulous to get to know the authors behind the words! So, this is one of those juicy articles where I get to poke and prod you for information all about you and what you like to do.

On the 28th of November, lots of you celebrated Thanksgiving with your family and friends and, being English myself, I wanted to know what the day is all about! Obviously, any added notes of quirky family traditions were also desired and you never fail to oblige!

@Lava, who was also new to the USA traditions, was the first to spill all about her day.

Well, I don’t know much about it either, but, the grad school committee took us to a fancy restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner which was a three course of salad, turkey with mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie.

Well, of course, I had the meat free option, but the mashed potatoes? They were creamy, cheesy goodness. Wow.

And we said thanks around the table!

Interestingly, we have a version of Thanksgiving back home, around mid January each year.

Oh my golly gosh - those potatoes sound amazing.

@TheMessenger, a Thanksgiving pro, told me all about his celebrations.

Thanksgiving was a blast. My three brothers and I went out of state to our cousins. We always have about thirty family members there, and we stuff our faces full of mashed potatoes, turkey, green-bean casserole, corn, pies of all sorts, muffins, and apple cider.

We also play an American Football game every year. This year there were some incredible scores. The weather was nice, it wasn’t rainy, and it was just another great Thanksgiving.

I really must try a game of American Football one day...

@Iggy made me laugh aloud with her quirk of the day when she stopped by to fill me in.

Well, I went to two places! First, to my aunt’s house (on my Dad’s side)for a Thanksgiving lunch, then went to my Grandma’s house (on my mom’s side) for a Thanksgiving dinner. :D

We do this every year and it’s always fun! My aunt, for some reason, had a pet chicken running around. O.o

It was fun and the food was great!

I’d be worried if the pet chicken wasn’t running around after the food had been served, Iggy!

PHEW! I feel stuffed and worn out with you guys! I’m going to finish off with some fun facts about Thanksgiving for those who still feel as though they’re in the dark.*

1. Did you know the first Thanksgiving celebration in 1621, lasted three days?

2. Approximately, 280 million turkeys are sold in the USA for Thanksgiving celebrations. (WOW)

3. Benjamin Franklin quite fancied the turkey as the United States’ national bird!

(*Psssst...all Thanksgiving facts from Over Here!)
Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:51 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

YWS: BLACK FRIDAY 2013
written by KittyCatMeow < PM: >

On a horrible day of 2008, Black Friday turned to be a nightmare for one specific volunteer for Wal-Mart. At the same time, Black Friday is the day for shopping to buy personal needs, books (of course), Christmas gifts, and many other things you may want for a much lower price than they typically sell for. What about YWS? What was YWS doing on Black Friday? Having a casual day, or staying up past curfew to buy at a local store?

That’s why I asked some people of what they did on Black Friday.

First, I began by dialing up @yubbies12 to hear what she wanted to say:

Nothing really exciting...I got ready for my teacher's wedding.

So from the data we’ve gathered so far, Black Friday isn’t celebrated annually by everyone! I mean, who wants to stand around in line all day anyway?

Next up, we have @Alvarin, who said:

I don’t even know what Black Friday is >.>

That certainly means that Black Friday isn’t so popular... what kind of strange information is this? Yet, maybe you’re just as confused...

Moving on, I had to ring up @niteowl who spoke up that she never really liked Black Friday although the NOOK tablets from Barnes and Noble were quite tempting. Sounds nice! There’s a possibility I will buy it next time if they have it on sale once more!

@Zolen didn’t do much, even though he lives in America… This is what he had to say:

No I did not, however I did take advantage of the online deals that pop up around the same time. Mostly NewEgg and Steam

Although at first my friend here said orange... how strange..., no?

After wondering where the buyers were, I wandered over to some more people, who, of course, were reluctant.

@Ossum gave a story about what he did:

Stayed at home and sweated out a fever watching reruns of inuasha and bleach on adult swim while gorging myself on ice cream and saltine crackers before I lay down and deserted my personal feeling of adventure and glory to retire and live a life of a meaningful yet simple existence raising a family of corn feeders on a pumpkin farm.

And @TimmyJake replied back that:

Noooo. Did you? I prefer to not get trampled over at midnight. xD

We all know that all is well when someone gets trampled.

@Epicdonkalous simply remarked that she did not. @Audy didn’t say anything but a small, “Nope!”

So, what about the buyers? After much asking, @ReisePiecey said:

I pulled up my favorite shopping website, added a bunch of things to my cart, and then removed them when I realized my bank account was starving.

That must’ve been a struggle! Having to give up all the items you wanted is always unfortunate.

@Desticakes101 also bought something and said:

Bought some new shoes and clothes and such. Oh and a few books

Besides that, many others said they didn’t celebrate Black Friday. Maybe it’s just an American thing or simply unattractive for being known for many terrible deaths and injuries from gun fight over many petty things or trampling on top of workers. Those two MUST be the main reasons.

Whatever the matter, Thanksgiving will always be more superior over Black Friday. What would you expect?

Me? I didn’t go since for one, I’m a cat and I’m broke. (Is that two?) Secondly, they wouldn’t let me in. Third, also since I don’t have the patience or the will to line up or push the cart for that matter.

That’s it for 2013’s Black Friday! Enjoy the greatness of Black Friday (as well as the horrid, no one likes, feeling of it), to celebrate our wallet!

Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:53 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A BLACK INTERVIEW

If you’ve never heard of Pruno, then you might not have heard of @Blackwood, but if you haven’t, well, you simply haven’t lived yet.

He’s the all fabulous rival of @Lightwood the horrible, great writer, and also one of the greatest good-looking humans on YWS.

Now, that may not be all that made him featured member, however it most likely helped. How do we know all about this guy or what he thinks? In an interview, so that’s what Squills decided to do!

KittyCatMeow: Hey, Squills reporter Kitty here! Mind a quick FM Interview?

Blackwood: .....sure.

K: What is the most likely reason you were featured?

B: What type of question is that? Because I’m awesome.

K: When do you use YWS?

B: When I’m on the computer.

K: Is becoming FM a huge impact on you?

B: No. Not really. There is no reason why. It just didn’t. I mean it’s nice. But it didn’t have any drastic impact on me if that is what you are implying.

K: What does FM cause? Are/were there any reactions? Anything from feelings to solid text on screens is valid.

B: Sure, people gave me congratulations on my wall, but I did not mind.

K: What would you suggest anyone who wants to become FM in the future to do?

B: I don't know. I don't think that feature member is something you should want/try to become. It’s just something run by administration to commemorate someone who has been doing well on the site. You should just enjoy yourself and contribute however you feel. You shouldn't make a point of insistently trying just to become featured member...

It's a nice thing but I don't think it was created to be driven by that purpose.

Blackwood must’ve awesomely inspired you, no?

Besides that, taking a look back at what Blackwood did, it seems as though he “effortlessly” struggled and achieved the title “Featured Member”. However, it would’ve been a lot better if he had been a little more willing to speak, though secrets are secrets, and I cannot deny such a thing!

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:55 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

PAPERS AND PROJECTS AND TESTS, OH MY!
written by ShadowVyper < PM: >

With the end of the semester nearly upon us, I know we're all feeling the pressures of ending the school year with a bang. For those courses that we're making a decent grade in, we're trying to hit the books and keep up with this sudden influx of exams and projects. For those courses that we're not doing as great in, we're grovelling for points and trying to salvage our grade. Regardless of what our strategy is, however, it's pretty obvious that this is one of the busiest times of the year.

Then, as if the end of the semester isn't busy enough for all of us, it is sandwiched right between Thanksgiving break (for those of us in the U.S.) and the Christmas holidays. Between the festivities and your poor, dying grade, you might feel like your novel is slowly being pushed off the edge of your desk, never to be seen again.

So how does a student make time to write during the school year?

That is a question that many people struggle, myself included. My first year to Uni has brought many challenges to my writing career. Even as I write this, I am hiding in my dorm room from a mob of friends, and carefully ignoring the two essays that are due Monday. So, what can you do (barring hiding from your homework*)?

One of the biggest things you should do is plan a time to write.

Sure, writing is most fun when you do it as soon as inspiration hits. But, let's be realistic. Until you're a famous author with a lapdog and a butler, you're going to have appointments that you have to fulfill. And, until the day that you can afford to hire someone else to do your work, you'll have to write around your busy life.

So, plan a time to write. You plan everything else in your life, so why not writing? Pencil yourself in for a half hour writing session between your Pooktre lessons and dinner. Then, actually write when the time comes around. It doesn't matter what you write about. If you can't focus on your novel (or poem, or serial, or whatever it is you like to write), then find something else to write about. I found this wonderful site , which has a limitless supply of pictures of adorable animals.Write a descriptive piece on one of the cuties on that site to get yourself warmed up. Or, better yet, write a scene into your novel that involves one.

The most important thing is to keep writing. Don't let 'real life' crush your passion for writing, or your imagination. Keep dreaming, my friends. Together we'll survive the rest of 2013.

*hiding from your homework is not recommended or encouraged.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:59 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

PRECIOUS IS IN THE SPOTLIGHT

written by Iggy < PM: >

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've heard of the famous trilogy and it's prequel series about a Hobbit and a certain ring. That's right, I'm talking about the famed Lord of the Rings trilogy, written by the amazing J.R.R Tolkien. Maybe you're a huge fan and read the books and seen the movies numerous times, or maybe you're like me and have only seen the The Fellowship of the Rings and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (I'm working on it, okay). Either way, you've at some point heard of a certain creature that likes to call things "precious" and looks oddly like a hunchback. In case you didn't know, this creature's name is Gollum and one of YWS' own, @GoldFlame, has written a poem as if it was by Gollum himself. It is entitled Birds (by Gollum). Squills read this wonderful poem, liked it, and decided to sit down with an interview with the author.

Squills: So we all know what, or who, inspired you to write this. Can you tell me why J.R.R Tolkien inspires you so much?

GoldFlame: I've always been a HUGE fan of LOTR. The books, not the movies. While they're reputed to be boring, I tell everyone that, in fact, they're fast-paced and well-written. J.R.R. Tolkien is a great writer in his own way. We're just not as partial to his style because it's more classic, stiffer if you may. He's inspired me to deviate from the common YA style.

S: Was it hard writing this poem as Gollum? Did you cringe at all of the grammatical errors?

GF: The poem was really easy to write. After all, it's just a scrapbook of all our favorite Gollum sayings. Those grammatical errors didn't really nag at me, because I've seen them so many times in the series!

S: Are you pleased with the responses you've received?

GF: Yes! I intended this to be light and funny, something that the stray LOTR fan might enjoy, but I didn't expect to get so many "likes" and responses! The few reviews there were genuinely helped, and I was pleased by all the positive comments.

S: Does having a featured work motivate you to write more fanfiction poems?

GF: I usually stay away from fanfiction. I always know that I'll never be able to write as well as the author. I consider this piece a little different, though, because it's short and simple and from an uneducated character's perspective. There's a very small possibility that I'll write more.

S: What was your favorite part about writing as a character like Gollum?

GF: My favorite part...that's difficult. I guess inventing/copying all those grammatical mistakes, when I'm this Grammar Nazi that can't stand a single misplaced comma. It's more fun writing bad examples of poems than good poems, right?

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:01 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ASKPRUNO
written by Blackwood < PM: >

Welcome to Ask Pruno, the advice column in which stuff happens. Pruno will answer any questions you throw at him, be it advice, personal opinion, solutions or philosophy.
Please note, this is the advice of Pruno, and it is his opinion alone. Nothing he says can be considered incorrect or factual, even if you disagree with him.

This week Three questions were answered.

Hey there Pruno. See, I am a lemming, and it's around that type of year again where my entire family and town is going to run off a cliff in a pack in a surreal mass suicide. But, I'm different. I don't want to run off a cliff. I want to be in musical theater! My father has no support for me in this matter. He's calling me girly and weak since I'd rather prance around onstage in a costume than jump off a cliff with all the real men. I'm torn. Do what my family wants me to, or pursue becoming a Thespian? What do you think?
-Doubtful Lemming

What does it matter? They are all going to be dead after they run off the cliff anyway.
-Pruno.

~~~

How do you seduce people Pruno-kun?
-Seductively unproductive

The most important thing in seducing is to wear an alluring colour. That colour is purple. Another aspect is get a moustache. If you have one trim it up neat, if you don’t have one then grow one or buy one. Men and women alike will flock to you to get close to your perfectly formed moustache. Finally what you say, or rather what you don’t say, is key. Less is more with words, as mysterious is always alluring. Just make sure you wink at the person of interest plenty of times so that they get the message.
-Pruno

~~~

Dear magnificent, omnipotent one,

I was wondering if you had any tips for making dialogue naturally natural in fiction writing? Mine always tends to come off a little forced and...well, wooden.
Share your knowledge with me.
-Curious Crab

When writing out dialogue and scenes with interaction role-play it as a conversation to yourself and be sure to read aloud what you a writing. If it feels weird or forced for you to say it then it will be for your characters too. Also make sure your characters each have a distinctive voice to their selves. If all of the speech sounds the same it will be very fake for the readers, you need to express their differences in speech patterns in text which is difficult but you will be able to do it.
-Pruno

~~~

Would you like to ask Pruno a question and get a slice of his interpretations? You can ask him anything you want! It could be a personal problem, or writing advice and tips, even your calculus homework or something else ridiculous! Just follow this link to go to the submission form and fill it out. One submission per person per week.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CLUB INTERVIEW: HUGGLES SOCIETY

Are we finally refreshed from Thanksgiving? Yes, no, maybe so? Have you been preparing for yet another club interview? If you have, be aware it’ll be coming out every week (unless there’s a day off like Thanksgiving ;))

Previously, I asked for you to get to me a PM if you would like your club interviewed. Now, you deserve this wonderful form to fill out - credits to @Blackwood and Pruno for inspiring me to create said form.

Have you ever been hugged till your oxygen will, definitely, without a doubt, run out? If you haven’t, well then, join the all so fabulous Huggles Society ! This week is just that, and we have the well-known Letiki to join us in this interview! Excited much?

Participants: @Letiki (Creator), @dutifulwriter (Active Member), @Dreamy (Member)

Spoiler! :
Letiki’s Questions:
Q1, Q2, Q3, Q6
dutifulwriter’s Questions:
Q1, Q2, Q4, Q6
Dreamy’s Questions:
Q1, Q2, Q5, Q6

KittyCatMeow: Thanks for accepting the interview! To start off, what exactly is a “huggle”?

Letiki: Hello! Well, I must admit that the nature of the huggle is still somewhat mysterious to even me. When people ask me, my normal reply is "tis like a hug, but better >:3", although that would only be part of the truth. In fact, it is an act that transcends the understanding of normal beings. To understand the huggle would be like trying to grasp the nature of the universe in its entirety. We can only use it for now, and be thankful that we have discovered such an amazing way of communicating our like for others ^.^
dutifulwriter: To be honest, I have no idea what a huggle means xD I know, that must make me sound horrible. But in my opinion, I always thought a huggle was just a cuter version of a hug. Yeaah, that is a little embarrassing, isn't it?
Dreamy: Huggles is nothing but a ground meat, that's hugged by two hambuns which also tastes yummy if you add tomato sauce or human blood o.o That's just me.

It is one of the best medicine for the people in distress or heartbroken. Or you can just hug people randomly, it's fun. *huggles*

K: What is the point of the club in your opinion?

L: I see the club as a place to come and worship the Huggle, as well as utilise its power whenever one feels like it no matter the circumstances. It is a place that will hopefully make people feel better, and serve as home to some of the cuddliest images on the internet ^.^
DW: Well, according to me the club is a place of comfort. When you're down, just go on to the Huggles Society and when you see all the huggles, you feel a bit elevated and happy that people are there who're taking time off of work just to brighten someone's day. Well, that's my opinion anyway (:
DR: That you can hug anyone or ask for at anytime. *huggles*

K: What inspired you to create this club?

L: Well, numerous people mentioned that I huggled a lot. I haven't noticed previously, and jokingly said that I should create a Huggles Society. The first person who gave me the idea was @FleetingEternity , whom I huggles a lot. Then, numerous other people brought up the subject, and one day I decided to simply go on and create the Huggles Society ^.^

K: Is a huggle a very good thing?

DW: A huggle is indeed a very good thing. When you're sad, all you need is a huggle. No questions asked, just a huggle.

K: Would you huggle anyone who asked?

DR: TOTALLY! <3 *huggles*

K: Do you think the club will last for long?

L: My only reply to that is,
”So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, so long lives this, and will huggle thee.”
DW: Yeah! This is an extraordinary idea for a club and I'm positive it will last long. I mean, after all, who doesn't love huggles right?
DR: For as long as the earth survives. *huggles* :D

Before you move on to different Squills articles, check out this comment from our faithful Letiki:

Axiom: Huggles are awesome >:3

Thanks for reading this week’s club interview! I hope it reached your demands, and the new form interests you!

*huggles*

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:04 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

AUTHOR SNAPSHOT: VERONICA ROTH
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

If you’re feeling as though you need some inspiration to pull you up, from being bogged down by your own plot problems and character catastrophes, then look no further than the amazing author Veronica Roth.

The mind blowing fact that Roth churned out two bestselling novels by the time she was 25 years old, shows us that we can reach whatever writing dreams we’re fighting for! Even if a lot of us are closer to that age already! *cough - gets walking stick out*

Her trilogy of Divergent, Insurgent, and finally Allegiant, are fast paced and full of sharp right hand plot turns. So what’s it all about?

We are invited to share the point of view of Tris, a sixteen year old girl who refuses to show any of her weaknesses. She is given the choice of her life and, like all heroines we love, she goes against the grain, only to find that there may be more behind her choices than she first thought!

We get to see how society survives in a fractured community where loyalty and faith mean everything.

I asked cherished member, @SlushySlapped what she loved about this trilogy, what Roth did well for her and why the characters were so great.

I am still currently reading the last one though. Haven't had time to read it and I am SO anxious to find out what happens! I also don't want to be disappointed... or cry... especially since I have been with this trilogy from Divergent's release date.

Any who.

What really got me hooked into the trilogy was the plot! Such a brilliant idea and not only that, but being able to capture it so wonderfully like Roth did. I really enjoyed her style and I could strangely relate to Tris from the very beginning. I felt like if I were in her position, I'd do the same. Maybe I wouldn't be as tempered as she could sometimes be, but boy am I stubborn!

I also felt, at many moments, I was on the edge of my seat. I'd expect one thing to happen and then be completely thrown in the other direction! I am a reader who is verbal while reading, so you'd hear plenty of "OH MY GOD." Or completely yelling at the characters. Especially in Insurgent. I yelled at Tris quite a few times. But mostly, I was yelling at Caleb (Tris' older brother). And in Divergent most of my yelling (and swooning) was at Four. Oh and Peter.

I loved how each character was unique. Not only that, but I felt like, while you may not have agreed, you could see the reasons for their actions. There was a part in Divergent that I felt like I could have really hated Tris, but I understood. Especially since later on you could see the war she was having with herself.

And as always I've written wayyyy too much! So I'm going to stop there!!

Well, you literally blew me away with that reply! Thanks a billion <3

So..go out and grab a copy of Divergent now. You will be dragged through all emotions possible, yet love every second.

Favourite quote from Allegiant by Veronica Roth:

People are supposed to fear others, not themselves.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:06 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

COW SAYS DECEMBER 7TH 2013

written by CowLogic < PM: >

Things are pretty sobering when put into perspective. Yout think your problems are putting you over the edge, then compare that to the greater scheme of things. It seems as though you are making much ado about nothing.

However, the principle concerns you face are inputted into you. Therefore, are not exponentially greater troubles and your own separate but equal in some regard?

It will truly be a mystery forever whether or not you should sweat the small things or not.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:07 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
written by Knight Teen < PM: >

Current outside temperature: 28 degrees (F)
Wanna know what the outside temp was last Wednesday? Ah'll tell ya dollface, but you better brace ya'self for a shock. Wednesday December the 4th reached a whoppin' high of 80*F.

See now, Ah live in Arkansas. Home of Bill Clinton and the Razorbacks. Our weather changes as quickly as Miley Cyrus twerks. (You MC fans don't need to get yer panties in a wad)There's one other thang that changes as fast and is unpredictable as our weather.

The Green Room. With so many good authors, and so many wonderful read/reviewers, it don't stay the same fer long. A work is here one day an' gone the next. Some days people can be as slow as molasses when it comes ta writin' reviews, and those are the days that the Green Room fills up as quickly as our fields would without huntin' season.

Thank god we have such good hunters here on YWS to keep our food chain balanced. An speaking o' balance, here is one work that's been on the wrong side o' the freezer fer a bit to long.

Pokemon Ultimate Evolution Season 2: Episode 8, End Of Shader Part 2 of 3 by @dark has been sitting out there tauntin' us for well over a month now. A month! That's just wrong. If it were a buck, my daddy woulda been out there an' had it shot and skinned already, an' momma woulda fried up some deer steak. Mmmh.

Any young hunters willing to take this one on? It don't matter if you use a gun or a sword, two blows to the heart should take it out.

WARNING: This one is armed and extremely dangerous. If you don't like sixteen year old meat stuffed with language, violence, and mature content, it ain't the kind for you.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:08 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEGLECTED WORKS – DEC. 2013

What happens when a supposedly “uninteresting” story, poem, or essay is not reviewed quickly in the Green Room and chooses to slowly rot instead? It disappears from our fellow friends’ eyes.

That’s why they’re what I call “Neglected Works”, because they’ve been ignored off the history books. You know, these guys are not just search and find. Instead, you need to find the ones with a specific amount of 1 or 0. This is what comes past the Green Room Gallery articles written by @KnightTeen.

“Where do I find these?” you ask. In this article of Squills of course! If I had the time, I would definitely review all of them myself, but these are for you to review! A good mix like this will make your day!

We have a lot of poetry to get done! Poets, I’m sorry, but this is just the way things go.

This month (monthly, deal with it, I have other business to work with), we have 12 Neglected Works. Don’t make me take out my beautiful tail-like whip to spank you when you don’t review! This fresh, new list will definitely make your day after the long, tiring day!

Essays:

1. Catcher In The Rye Essay
by @SwallowedByInsanity

This essay talks about an illness from a quick glance. When you start reading, it seems like a book report, but it’s sort of in the middle between a condition as well as an overview of the protagonist of the story, which is the exact title to the title of the essay. SwallowedByInsanity also adds that he doesn’t mind any feedback, just as long as he could use it. With 0 reviews, I’d like to ask you to check it out and review!

Poetry:

1. All Thanks to You
by @TheClosetKidnapper

What a poem that shows some deep meaning! You really need to dig deep if you want to know what TheClosetKidnapper is trying to tell you. As a poem with 1 review, another review would kick it off of the waiting list.

2. Logic. Devoid of logic.
by @GrymmRipper

A sad, dramatic poem (with only one review) about supposedly what the title says. Logic! This speaks of actual solid substance within knowledge but rejecting it. Maybe I’m wrong. It could have a deeper meaning. I didn’t spend time on reading because that’s your job, so be sure to tell me if I’m wrong!

3. Innocence
by @Demoness

A one review poem with a genre of drama, a short one like this that is completely like one stanza won’t take your time at all, and it seems to me that it’s interesting!

4. Broken Heart
by @KikiliaK

Broken Heart is a poem that existed since early 2012. Not bad, huh? Well, to be honest, I don’t like the 0 reviews count I see there... what shall we do about this? Besides that, it is apparently a completely general poem. Er, hello? I wouldn’t mind knowing what the genre was at least.

5. Your's, Mine, Our's
by @MadameLuxestrange

This is a poem which, if you simply scroll down quickly down what this is about, is probably “sadness”. Every stanza just starts with sadness. Interested yet? Ha! Want to review it? Good, because it has just one review.

6. sad song
by @SarcastiC

What do you get when you combine 0 reviews and a song? A sad, depressing song is the answer. “Why is this in the poetry section?” Stop your complaining it's poetry! It says it RIGHT THERE on that little bar... poetry, and if you would just look closer at it, it is as sad little poem. Respect your fellow cats!

Novels:

1. Cadet Challenge; Chapter Five: The Opening Act
by @Dante

As a novel chapter, it is highly recommended that you start all the way from Chapter 1 so you know what’s going on. If you prefer not to, that is completely okay. However, if you are itching to review all of this week’s Neglected Works, then you might as well go for it! This has already 1 review, so don’t feel too guilty if you don’t review.

2. Achilles- 1
by @AlfonsoFernandez

I see a bit of confusion here. It speaks of a single review, but where could it be? Although you may see it, I cannot. Whatever the amount of reviews are, review. Anyway, Achilles- 1 is a chapter based on the prologue. The link is inside a spoiler at the start of the chapter to help you understand what Achilles is about. Does it interest you?

3. Coffee and Cocaine
by @ReisePiecey

Even though Coffee and Cocaine shows no warnings about strong language, I believe I should tell this to you now instead of leaving you a surprise. From the start, it already looks weird that this story is called “Coffee and Cocaine”. The story quickly pulled me in, but I didn’t necessarily finish reading. Fill me in anyone? Since this already has one review, one more will boost it up a ton.

Other:

1. Ordering Ants in a Resturant- an expository piece
by @Nameless_And_Shamed

An interesting, unique overview from the perspective of an anteater that was made all the way back to 2006, and it still has NO REVIEWS! Shocking? What have we been doing? Slouching? We must work to help prevent the “no review” illness and disease! Review, review, review!

2. Sadness, Physical/Mental
by @Jordanmedina1

I’m not into these things, but nevertheless, should not be left without even a review! Therefore, I declare that one of you must review this at the very least. I want TWO! TWO AWESOME REVIEWS to be a great boost to... what, off the list of terrible, not reviewed works?

Ready for your encouragement picture, now dear?

Did you finish your cup of coffee yet? Now is the time to start reviewing as it is the start of a new month and a fresh start.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:09 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by Knight Teen < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week's newest members to the site!

@Ossum joined us on November 25, and has since become an active YWSer. He's been active in the storybook forum and writes and reviews lyrics and poetry. His background is almost as epic as his work.

@Okuro is living proof that you don't have to be here long to be active. She has posted in the forums 120+ times, achieving the title of Senior Writer in less than two weeks. Her profile background is as lovely as the reviews she has given, and her portfolio has grown since she joined.

@Genesis, who has unfortunately been sick recently (We hope you are better!), has made the decision to write five reviews everyday. Good luck! While she has written some already, her portfolio has been empty since she joined. Maybe with some friendly threatening encouragement we can get this young writer's creative juices flowing.

@RedRozeNinja13 has only been with us for two days but has already become quite active in the Randomosity forum. She has also posted the first four chapters of her novel and written eight reviews.

Others who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are....

@evannamomsen@nanya@WashingtonEnthusiast@Garfbarf@Julesalot@leilamuir • @victorianbeauty • @AnonymousMe@Veronica@emmalh5@sympathy@tklein13@Aneeqa@Tabbyood@1GuyToReview@ayantichan@Chastezzi@partyingwithsatan@TheMissingPiece@AnyimHumphrey@chrismotionswag@vikirodriguez@blaire1234@catbug@popper4617@InkAndPaper@urchman@ElectricSkies • @synysterx • @AiriMichs@Pruno@MissKatherine@benjames@Mauk • @ryanjooness • @TiffanyHe@CreativelyWritten@Madee@pratyasha@odismacias@IWantLifeBack@robertmisner810@KIKS40@PrinceOfValor@christine8281 • @Hayley3124 • @gottahaveFaith@Balilarred@TacoTart@Roccomink@ErinLizzy13@AlexandreSUPER@Applebottomjeans@savannahbananana • @Chantatertot@latinqueen@harleybituin@Haywood@mishashusband@TriciaD@Treacherous@aldendave20@NZee@cathylye@ScarfyMcscarferson@divergentpanda89@LittleGreenToad@edithworkman@savannahbanana@Harpyeagle554@SARAHJO@DepthOfTheDark@BellaFranklin@leaf@MoonlightForest@Cirute@Cameronwtsmith@MustyK@Chels@lilyE@Brighteyes22@theHooligan@FillinFaye@readingisthekey@Isander@ukrainianboy@JasonA@shaunbarb@skyward@PearlRose@Mystique@playahnice@amandaalualu@oanalala@defiantAuthoress@Guydreamingoflife@TearStainedDoll@twinkeypop21@lilymom@younisnawaz@MildMind@TaciturnPhantom@BoxofGrey@psychoecila@Eko@Lovelylovelies@milica5532 • @hipstrbry123 • @Motsa@PinkPigsDontFly@roshnipurohit@KuluKufurahia@Kaity@tamiakewasi300@isabellashbeck2685@ArtistiicSuperman@annabel@Antemosaic@kennapage@yanleix@princessgem0404@iamwhoyouknow5@WritingLovely@nyloncutie@theenglishidiot • @medstaffxperts • @xxxnoramkxxx@ErinYount@xulfali@Ehiemere@SherlockHolmes • @Lucrezia • @testing1234@LilyP@GreenTulip@CreationsEye@OwaisKhand@Emily95@CdelaMare@sammiebear10101@piercethebecca174@buffy@maddiwhite@ImChasingTheStars@SangitaSingh@Jinxy@jastnobadii@Emotion1405@smile@MaddyMae@Hope42@booklover124@Ado@josephmjoness

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:11 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 12/8
written by: megsug < PM: >
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It’s links!

Perhaps you’ve noticed the new button at the top of the site between Notifications and Messages. @Nate has some sweet information for us, not to mention some reasoning and some bugs to look out for. So, if you don’t like to click before you look, this is for you!

The view new posts page shows the latest activity from all across the site. It includes:
- Forum posts
- Storybook posts
- Reviews
- Literary Works
- Club topics

With the New tab, maybe some of the other parts of YWS will get more activity!

@EloquentDragon has given everyone what they wanted. A Christmas Contest. He wants you to choose a Christmas carol or one of five Norman Rockwell pictures he’s selected. He wants to see a bit of a personal touch too! To go with the jolly season are great prizes. Eloquent will tell us more:

Honorable Mention- A gift and a review, and a hearty high-five.
3rd Place- A gift, two reviews, and 500 points, and a slap on the back.
2nd Place- A gift, three reviews, and 750 points, and an elf hat.
1st Place- A gift, five reviews, and 1,000 points, and your own personal reindeer.

Imagine a personal reindeer. If that’s not enough initiative, I don’t know what is. The due date is December 24, so get your jolly on and start writing!

For a lot of people starting college, this is a big question. Life would be great if we could do what we love, but the sad fact is that we need money. So do we get a degree in what we would love to do or what would make us money? @ReisePiecey has gone with a major in a stable field that will get her a job. @Lava found a compromise:

How about a dual in Psych and nursing? Is that possible? You might be able to even share some credits between the two majors?

My course is one of those inbetween things.

Perhaps the love of your major helps you succeed in school and then in your career as well. In the end, it all depends on what’s important to you, and what you decide. Tell us what you think!

@KittyCatMeow has created a club. Each week there will be an assignment in different genres and styles. Members of the club will write and post what they write on the forum. KittyCatMeow tells us about the best part:

The top three will earn rewards. Free points. You don't post on your portfolio. You post on the forums. Therefore, free points.

There you go. Why shouldn’t you join? She also needs some staff, so if you want to help out, give her a PM.

*Sad football bagpipes*
— DougalOfBiscuits