z

Young Writers Society

Squills 10/31/2016 - 11/13/2016

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:38 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Lavvie

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Holysocks
Spots available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
AliceAfternoon

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Resources Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Storybook Reporter

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Writer's World Columnist
Lightsong

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master

General Reporters

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:43 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: KAOS
written by Mea < PM: >

This week saw none other than @ Kaos becoming Featured Member! A turn of events that came as a surprise to few, what with her beautiful poetry, outstanding reviews, and generally wonderful presence around the site. And, of course, that meant Squills sat down to interview her.

Squills: Hi!

Kaos: Hi, am I needed for something/or?

S: I was actually going to ask if I could interview you for Squills about being Featured Member.

K: BUT WHAT ABOUT ME SENDING IN MY SAMPLE ARTICLE FOR SQUILLS I WANTED TO INTERVIEW MYSELF--joking that's fine, haha

S: That would have been really funny, actually. But okay! Let's start. So, how/when did you find out you were Featured Member, and what was your reaction?

K: I found out when I was in chat and someone said something like "Congrats" and I was like, "for what?" on that part, and then I was just kind of shocked/surprised. Or at least I think, I have bad memory.

S: I can relate. xD Had you ever thought about/wanted to be featured before?

K: I had thought about it, but I never really seeked to be it, I used to kind of think that it was only for members that were still relatively new but then I was like "oh" and realized it can be anyone that's active? It is very cool though, just never really expected it to be me.

S: That's funny - I know I used to think it was only for oldies, but yep, it's anyone who's active! So why do you think you were chosen?

K: Seems to be based onnnn reviewing for a main thing, but there could be other things that attribute to it, but reviewing is all I think I really did in the start of October, I was trying to get to my sixth star. still am, just on a break now, haha.

S: So you don't think it has anything to do with all that lovely poetry? :P

K: It probably doesss have to do with my poetry too, seeing it was what was talked about in the FM Post. :P

S: Okay, one last question: What advice would you give to someone who wishes they could be featured one day?

K: Hmm, I'd say to stay humble about it if you don't make it, but if the person does and wants to, I say they should do it while doing stuff on the site like reviewing or storybooking, whatever the person still enjoys doing c:

S: So basically just be active and be *you*?

K: Yes.

S: Sounds like good advice to me. :D Well, thank you so much for the interview!

K: no problemm

And there we have it! I managed to not mess up my first interview, and Kaos gave us an awesome peek into her brain. Be sure to head over to her wall to congratulate her, or check out some of the lovely poetry to be found in her portfolio.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Society Pages
written by Mea < PM: >

Everyone knows the People tab is where YWS gets real, where good news is shared, trends birthed and killed, and Real Life Problems™ lamented. And as such, your friendly neighborhood reporter has taken it upon herself to venture forth into this forest of status updates and bring back weekly tidings. So let's take a look at this week's offerings!

@Hattable insists that he never wants to write the letter ‘p’ again. Apparently, he’s had enough for a lifetime just from taking notes on the government in school. The question remains, though - why are so many government-related words spelled with a ‘p’? We’ll never know…

@Gravity is loving her photography class - and judging from the gorgeous black-and-white photos she’s taken, it’s for good reason! Head over to her wall to see her work.

@Sonder shared a poem written by her younger brother. It starts off with a truly deep line:

Milk is cow pee.

Click here to read the entire masterpiece! Who knows, maybe he’ll join YWS someday.

@Mage continues her daily #magelovesbeauty posts, but with a different theme each day. I think my favorite so far has to be her books theme. Because books.

Amidst a storm of dead poets (seriously, what’s that all about?), @Holysocks announces that she feels like a potato that choked on another potato. Is this a terrible case of inter-plant cannibalism, or could it just be the flu?

Later, in a not-so-surprising turn of events, @Dracula wishes YWS could be Halloween-themed all year round, because the bats are just cool. Or is she secretly trying to amass an army? Note to self: investigate.

Other notable events include the ever-looming NaNo drawing ever closer, which gives @Noelle and @ongoeslife the opportunity to bemoan their lack of planning, while others like @Crysi and @Kaos are doing only slightly better. But hey, NaNo wouldn’t be NaNo if anyone had any idea what they were doing. So gather your hopes, dreams, and snacks, and get ready!

And that about wraps up this week's Society Pages, folks! Keep cool, keep writing, and keep posting those status updates.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

All Things Books and Reading
written by Pretzelstick < PM: >

Pretzel is back on the Squills team, stronger than ever before! I will be starting a new weekly column, titled “All Things Books and Reading” which will give you the latest information that you need to choose your next read. Just think of it as your book whisperer in this newsletter. I’m still experimenting with the format, so if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

And now, let’s go on to my first edition of this delicious new column! Enjoy!

Something I can't let go of:
London Bookstores Go Rogue as No Wi-fi Zones

The thing about books is that they’re more interesting than the internet — we assume that everyone who comes here believes that... The internet can cause so much stress; we want people to come in and be more focused than they are online,”~Tamsin Clark, owner of Tenderbooks

I think that this is a brilliant idea, a group of bookstores in London decided to promote disconnected book browsing. This is also a celebration of human curation and the traditional experience of using your own intuition while deciding what to buy next. This is proving to be very attractive to book lovers, because according to the article, there has been twice at much (2x) customers coming into Libreria Books, one of the participants. This is even counting international tourists, which to me is extremely fascinating and proves the point of that this traditional “old-fashioned” space for them, and that people need this.

What's New in the World of Books:
The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict:
Publication Date: October 18, 2016

It is the story of Einstein's wife, a brilliant physicist in her own right, whose contribution to the special theory of relativity is hotly debated and may have been inspired by her own profound and very personal insight.

Mitza Maric has always been a little different from other girls. Most twenty-year-olds are wives by now, not studying physics at an elite Zurich university with only male students trying to outdo her clever calculations. But Mitza is smart enough to know that, for her, math is an easier path than marriage. And then fellow student Albert Einstein takes an interest in her, and the world turns sideways. Theirs becomes a partnership of the mind and of the heart, but there might not be room for more than one genius in a marriage.

Amazon-- Goodreads

#Reccomendsday:

This is a write-in column where I use get your recommendation requests/questions. Shameless mini plug: Please feel free to write-in at any time via PM or shoot me a message on my wall and I will try my best to answer.

The first honorary mention was sent to me from @Dreamy and she writes:

I'm a very realistic fiction kinda person and I loved reading "Into the wild" and "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." I'm now currently reading "Extremely loud and incredibly close" and I'm taking a break because semester but I'd like recommendations from the aforementioned genres, writers and the novels alike. Thanks!

I have two suggestions based on your previous favorite and let me tell you a little bit about them:

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
I was crying while reading this book, it was just so beautiful. You fall in love with the characters, the plot, the writing, and just everything.
This is alike to “Perks of Being a Wallflower” in that there is a lot of teenage angst and romance, but it’s also a journey of finding yourself and a close friendship grows naturally. There’s also lgbt themes that I thought were handled excellently and I could only watch from the sidelines with adoration.Would highly recommend.

Amazon --Goodreads

When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams
This is similar to “Into the Wild” in that’s it’s an auto-biography/memoirs of Williams adventures and interests in nature. There are 54 essays that have a poetic voice, and also feminism and conservatism are pretty big topics that is included in her adventures of life. I listened to this on audiobook and was absolutely enchanted with the tone that the author displayed. Great inspirational read!

Amazon --Goodreads

Quote of the Week:

The weight of what has been lost is always heavier than what remains.”
― Brit Bennett, The Mothers

Happy Reading y’all!

~Book Whisperer

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:45 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

New Arrivals
written by Lightsong < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site! Some of them took part for the Review Day! :D

@Mythli @runlittlehorse89 @gcinikjdj1k @girldiscovering @Iah @Kingkaelan1 @MorganBurnham @Buster1970 @Yashvi @fklmajkgc0l @TY1l3R @KOChan2422 @SaraAqua @Odiscvvm @famouskate12 @NutrapalPro @Thereseadaq @Magdalenajhj @Ansarrichard645 @Coyzpst @Treyktks @Ellahyyc @Maccartney9 @Pearlypxk @Wileysjqh @Edgarih @Treyxd @Jasperur @Juniorlb @Blainekf @Harleynr @xertymama @Deanlw @cyncynthia @kmffgimkd3m @JWCHIAM @LetsDoThis23 @Bryonpb @aidanzzz @Paradaux @PerfectionCream @Jeromehf @Tobyvw @Doylejj @Santosxp @DeadlyAF @Juniordm @Lonniepj @dayspassby17 @roman2 @StrikerBeckham @LerajeAnguis

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:46 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@heather@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Hattable@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magestorrow • @Meandbooks • @klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae