z

Young Writers Society

Squills 10/18/2015 - 10/24/2015

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:23 am
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Elysium

Resources Reporter
Pretzelsing

Storybook Reporter
Kanome

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Wellness Advisor
Skydreamer

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
AstralHunter
OliveDreams
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:28 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Moldy Overlords
written by Pretzelstick < PM: >

Heya Squillsamigos and welcome to a cool interview with our newly crowned overlords @Deanie and @fortis. If you haven’t congratsed them yet, then here is the thread that @Rydia has created Welcome I have PMed them individually some questions that I wanted to know the answer to, and share with all of the YWSers to hear their responses to some of the interesting questions that were posed to them. Let’s just get straight into the juicy part, shall we?

Squills: Were you surprised when you were notified that you were chosen to be a GM?

Deanie: I was actually very surprised :3 For some reason I had never thought it would be a possibility for me?

fortis: Yes, definitely.

S: Is there anything that you will have to do "differently" how that you have more responsibilities and work?

D: Well, as a JM I have always been there but I have been pretty quiet because I'm the person who is kind of naturally shy :3 But I want to do more running of events and planning things like that if I can (and time allows)

f: Well, I will have to say things like "yes I can change your username" instead of "um, no, go to someone like @Iggy for that"

Looking back now, what was the best part of being a JM in light green on this site?

D: I think the best thing about it was that as a JM I was learning alongside a lot of other JMs too and they were all so helpful. And even though I was helping other people sometimes with JM stuff mostly it just helped me speak up and be friends with more people :3

f: Well there are more JMs and so I always felt like I had a lot of peers to talk to about any given moderating problems I might be facing. Now, if I have a GM-specific question, there's fewer people I can get immediate answers from, but I think it will still be enough.

What are some things that you are looking forward to accomplishing now that you have more "power?"

D: Hopefully running and helping out with some more events! Being a bit more active, time allowing.

f: Not making a mistake with it and breaking the site. That's what I look forward to. Not messing up XD

S: What is your primary reason for actually agreeing to becoming a GM. Why did you do it?

D: It secretly has always been a dream of mine. I wanted a chance to do more for the site!

f: I've always thought that if one has a talent, one should share it, if one has an opportunity to. I don't know if "talent" really qualifies for this, but I think being able to help wherever I can is important, and I love YWS, so why wouldn't I want to help? :)

S: Where do you see YWS in five years from now? What do you see us becoming as?

D: YWS is always growing and I can only imagine that in five years it will get even bigger than it has already gotten now! I hope the whole site continues to run smoothly and the community is as wonderful as it is now in the future too.

f: A massive city-state/army with an out post on every planet in our solar system. Nahh... I think we'll probably be really different, but fundamentally the same. Many of the people around today will be gone, and newbies will have taken their place, but YWS will always be a place where young writers can hone their craft.

S: Could you share a little bit about your experiences with YWS and how it has affected you personally?

D: I've been on YWS since I was 12, which is a really long time, being 16 now. It's also been there through the teenager-y ups and downs. Whenever I have needed someone to talk to who isn't currently IRL or just to vent to, there has always been a good friend or anyone really who is trying to listen here. I've made good friends, matured here, and of course YWS has also shaped my writing. I don't know where I would be without it <3

f: Before coming to YWS, I completely mistrusted everyone and everything on the internet. Well, that may be a bit of a hyperbole, but you get the idea. YWS really is my only social media, and it's been a way I've been able to make friends and become more globally conscious, since many of those friends live in other countries. And, of course, my writing has developed exponentially.

S: How do you feel that you can appreciate all of the supportive members that congratulated you via your wall or the thread?

D: It makes me feel so loved ^^ Thanks to you all!

f: By doing my best to be a good moderator. ^_^

That's all the questions that we had this time. I hope that you were amused and entertained by reading the question and answers that were given in this article, and to get a little bit of a taste to our new GMs. Thanks for supporting Squills by your views, reads, and likes and see you next time!

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:29 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW WITH STEGOSAURUS
written by Elysium < PM: >

Hello everyone! Elysium your community reporter here with our new Featured Member, @Stegosaurus. Let's get started!

Squills: What was your reaction when you found out you were the new Featured Member?

Stegosaurus: As being new to this whole site, it kinda surprised me as thinking that YWS doesn't see the goodness in certain new people (like myself). However, when I saw my name on the Featured Member thingy I was calm and surprised all at once. Also it is for 14 days- why not be relaxed and chill about it?

S: How did you complete RevMo?

S: I wasn't sure about RevMo until people in chat started talking about so I just thought "What the heck?" and started reviewing. In a couple of months, I had gotten closer and closer to 50 trying and thinking positive. Mostly I wanted to beat Raging and steam :P but what I told myself everyday was just review and help those who need it.

S: What is your favorite thing to do on YWS?

S: My favorite thing.. I have few but my number one thing is to Storybook. Storybooking can help you with planning out your novel or make a character and see where it can go on from there. I enjoyed working with the people in most of the SBs since they answered most of my questions I had (being new and all).

S: Finally, do you have any advice for other YWSers that are trying to become the next FM?

S: My advice is work around the commiunity and review. If you review, the more chances of someone revewing your work. If you help around the commiunity, the more likely people will like you and understand what you enjoy. For me, dinosaur facts and reviewing gave me a leap into the spot. Now anyone can be an FM if they put their mind to it and work hard.

That's all for this edition of Squills! Thanks for reading!

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:31 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

After spending the last couple of weeks talking about hooks, I wanted to wrap things up by sharing some of my favorite hooks from different genres and explaining why they work so well. Without any ado whatsoever, here they are.

Fantasy
The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit.

This simple sentence already offers a bit of intrigue. What is a hobbit? Why does it live in a hole? The opening goes on to let you know that it’s not merely a hole but an entire house built into tunnels under a hill; that hobbits love food, company, and comfort; and that this particular hobbit has just as low an opinion of adventures as the next. Which, of course, makes you certain there’ll be an upset when the inevitable adventure is introduced.

If you’re looking for something more contemporary, I offer you the equally simple start of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of Number 4, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Notice that neither of these fantasies begins in the middle of an epic battle or even an action scene. Both start with characters to give readers someone to latch onto rather than throwing us into action before we have any reason to care about it. Additionally, neither one tries to be “mysterious” by being intentionally vague about things the characters know, nor by introducing exotic, hard-to-pronounce words that we don’t yet know the meaning of. The only new word in either sentence is “hobbit,” which is simple and explained within the following pages.

Historical Fiction
Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

Scarlett O’Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.

Like the fantasy examples, this immediately grounds us in a character. Furthermore, it points to the clash between her appearance and her true nature. Why are the Tarletons so ensnared by her “charm” that they can’t see she isn’t beautiful? The opening goes on to describe her physical features as well as what’s really going on in her mind: the entrapment of men for the sheer fun of it. She sets her cap for young bachelors because she can, because she can’t stand the sight of any young man not in love with her, and because she doesn’t like or trust other women and is not above stealing their beaux. Knowing all this upfront also makes her change throughout this epic all the more dramatic, because she evolves from the coquettish Scarlett who is at least good at faking being a Southern belle to a scrooge who counts pennies, works harder and better than a man at men’s work, and whose every thought is how to get and keep ever more money.

Realistic Fiction
A Corner of the Universe, Ann M. Martin

Last summer, the summer I turned twelve, was the summer Adam came.

Without knowing anything else about the book, we already know that Adam is tremendously important. The narrator starts with him—not merely with some explanation of how she was sitting around with him one summer’s day, but with this sweeping, overarching idea that the whole summer ended up being about him.

Mystery
Counterfeit for Murder, Rex Stout

My rule is, never be rude to anyone unless you mean it.

First thing, we get a feel for Archie Goodwin, the narrator of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe mysteries. His rule isn’t “never be rude to anyone.” Nope. It’s “never be rude to anyone unless you mean it.” I don’t know about you, but what I take from this line is that Archie’s about to be rude to someone, whether he means it or not—and that someone will no doubt lead him to a mystery.

Nonfiction
That’s right! Nonfiction doesn’t have to be dry and boring. (In fact, good nonfiction isn’t.) And I’m not even talking about memoir. I’m talking about straight-up nonfiction, the kind of trade book that might be required or recommended reading for a history, science, or sociology class. Here’s an example from Mala Sen’s book Death by Fire: Sati, Dowry Death and Female Infantacide in Modern India.

A sudden surge in the sale of coconuts alerted the District Revenue Officer to the fact that something was going on somewhere in the region.

What impresses me most about this hook is that it reads like the opening of a novel. This could be a fictional story, based on the first line, but instead it—like the Princess trilogy (Jean Sasson)—is the grisly tale of the treatment of women in a specific culture.

We often use the word “exciting” when talking about hooks, and I think that’s what trips us up. Because we think our hooks should be exciting, we strive to open with action. We think, “I have to open with something exciting, or my readers will put the book down.”

However, as you can see from these examples, you don’t have to open with action. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t use “exciting” to describe a single one of these hooks! I’d say they were intriguing, humorous, or bizarre, and all with an air of mystery that makes the reader curious. That’s what your hook should aim for—not “excitement,” necessarily, but something that connects with the reader emotionally or ignites her curiosity. Of course, an exciting hook might work for you, depending on the kind of story you’re writing and how you handle the opening, but you don’t have to struggle with writing an action-packed opening scene if that won’t work with your novel. Experiment with hooks, ask your readers for their opinion, and find out what works best for your story.

For more examples of good hooks from published authors, check out this link provided by @Blaspherica.

What are some of your favorite literary openings? What about openings you can’t stand? Join the discussion here .

What do readers think of YOUR first sentence? Post it here to get some feedback!

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:32 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LITTLE MISS AWKWARD
written by Skydreamer < PM: >

Hey! Guess who's back?

Okay, as a challenge to start this article, think of all the awkward moments you've had, and all the awkward things you've done. Okay, times that by two. That is the amount of awkward moments I've had.

Let me list off a few,

Pushing instead of pulling and vice versa? Check.

Walking in the same direction as someone, and accidently steping where they step, and you guys do the awkward tango. Check!

Waving to someone who wasn't waving to you. Check.

Replying to someone who wasn't talking to you! Check, check!

Saying bye but going in the same direction. Check, again.

Not knowing what to say to someone you know during an elevator ride. Oh, such a check.

Leaving somewhere in front of tons of people (like a lecture) and having the lecturer notice as well as the whole class. Yep, check.

Wardrobe malfunctions (I'll save you all the details. Haha!) Cheeeck!

I could seriously go on and on about all the different awkward moments and encounters I've had in my life, because there have been so many! I feel like I'm the queen of awkward or something. It's even easier to be awkward in a country where you're the foreigner because you sometimes have language mishaps and have to use hand gestures (which are usually awkward, in my opinion).

And what you perceive as being awkward as a sensitive introverted/ambiverted person, is basically anything the least bit awkward to you. That adds things like, going in the same direction as people after class who you were just talking to, but now you don't want to talk to, because you're tired and you want to go home. But to be polite, you decide to talk to them anyways. Or (in my case, in the past) avoiding people who you know and you see out of school because you "know" them, but you don't know them.

I've even had that awkward encounter where people who I "knew" were hanging out without me, and then I just happened to go to the EXACT SPOT they were in. It was awkward, not because I was alone (I was with my sister) but because we didn't even know what to say to each other, and I still felt left out even though I wasn't sure I'd have fun hanging out with them. Then there were the endless lunch time situations when I was a High School senior, where I'd go out to have lunch (by myself) by this gorgeous lake, and just take nice long walks. Often times I really enjoyed myself, but it would be awkward, when someone I knew would see me, or walk past me. They didn't know what to do, and neither did I. They may have thought was a loner, so then I'd feel weird about that. It's a complicated thing for me.

So, how do I go about fixing this awkwardness? It's just too much sometimes, and I'm getting older, so I should have a solution!

I realized this past week, that I don't have to fix my awkwardness. Maybe I'm always going to be a little bit awkward. I might trip a bit over chairs (true story), or drop my pencil case and everything around me a million times (exaggerated true story), and just be awky, but so what? Awkwardness, is influenced by you and the person/people you're around; awkwardness is usually a two way street. So then what if I closed off my street? What if I decided not to be affected by my awkwardness or the awkward moment? What if I decided to embrace the awkwardness and just forget about the embarrassment as soon as it comes? Trust me, it works. I practiced my theory a couple of times,and when something "awkward" came up, I just ignored it. I didn't care about it, I just put it to the back of my mind, or coached myself out of it.

"Forget it [my name], you did nothing wrong, it was just a moment, nothing to worry about." Or "That was such a silly moment!" Laugh it off, and let it go.

When we release the hold awkward moments have on us, we can 1. be more confident about ourselves, and 2. not allow the weight of them hold us down, and 3. possibly make the situation less awkward. Partially, thinking something is awkward or embarrassing, or weird, is what causes it to be awkward, embarrassing or weird. If we don't focus on it, we could very well change the whole situation from awkward, to hilarious, or just save everyone awkwardness in general. An awkward moment usually takes more than one person being involved, if you opt out, you don't have to feel awkward, and you can move on with your life and think on better things.

(I will work on some of my awkwardness though, too many to count! Haha!)

Have a great (awkward-less) week! Peace!

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Ouroboros has posted a thread in the Welcome Mat. Click here to swing by and greet them .

@Winter257 has already written forty-two reviews in her time on YWS. Wow! Stop by her wall to congratulate her .

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@sabyemerald@IreneCallista07@MichaelaBobbin@Yorisu@EleanorWeintz@typewriterstories@NewYork30@h0kuten@kastion@tiiaago@ElricoverCullen@Fleetingthoughts@queenebea@RubenKelly@chimsy150@Maurichy82@MicoSoul@pointeshoezombot@swtlove08@AbdulGhaffar@Winter257@Intex@thoughtsofm@Fintan@kamsgirl3715@nunchi@MVgrimmian64@Brooke1629@arjunsaravanan@authorayush@Mikayla@hyperview@DreamsInc54@tthearts92@CaleKauffman11@lucye21@mkphoenix@Adriannal2448@arasool@xXiLikeCerealXx@mubuckets@dill90@anonomous@yogeshsharma@Zoe@Lukaro@Ouroboros@val3164@SkyIsDead@cookies15@CaptainAnarchy@silversecret@silversecret13 • @HolographicLadybug@darligpoesi@ABard97@remming@jonnykro@funkyeddie92@RIAZKHOSO@SoVirgoMaleke@Tammi@trewt@tailoredfailure@JessNatsuk@SkylerQWisecarver@casper@Narutard@mirensdiary@Writerfromheart@UnextraordinaryGirl@BedeliaScully@ShootingStar00@ducksyonthemoon@Ctg1294@Mcbucketts@emilystarkey24@Mudkippi@iJordan@RainbowsAndNinjas@vernika007@khushwalia@samwespi@879126@SunShine98@rileyme14@Toybonbon123@kurmuvi@toukyo@ashdownjo@writingaddict1998@PrincessBam@WellEmy@KylanaX • @AlicZS • @penlessname@Sebe993@MagicUnknown@belenrosete@Latress@claudiae

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:43 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 10/18
written by megsug < PM: >

Book covers, space exploration, and a site update. Exciting things are happening in YWS.

@Nate has created privacy settings for profiles where you can block users or guests from viewing your profile. He explains things pretty:

Blocking users from status updates means they won't be able to access your Wall at all. Blocking access to your profile means guests will get a "Profile does not exist" message and registered members will get a "This profile is set to hidden" message.

Go forth and secure your walls! As much or little as you want.

The genre of sci-fi can be a daunting one to begin. @TheFantasy14 wants some advice, having just begun exploring the genre.

I'm a little out of my element and would love some advice. Anything is welcome, as long as it helps.

Anyone who has any helpful hints to a blossoming space explorer would be greatly appreciated.

@QueenOfHearts is creating cover art for those who request it. She just asks that you provide the title of your project, basic theme or plot, mood, a description of the most important setting, a description of a character, two maximum, and any color preferences. She also charges a riddle. My favorite is the cover she made for @Blaspherica for Billi Wack and the Story of Mystery:

Spoiler! :
[url=blob:https%3A//drive.google.com/92a959cb-0fac-409f-a73b-8c31abb78ade]blob:https%3A//drive.google.com/92a959cb-0fac-409f-a73b-8c31abb78ade[/url]

It’s just so cute! So get out your riddles and exchange them for an awesome cover, via QueenofHearts

Every judged a book by its cover? @Nook created a thread to show off pretty covers people stumbled across a few years ago, and @TriSARAHtops revived it a few days ago. My favorite of the bunch is @fortis’ recommendation:

Spoiler! :

There were a lot of beautiful ones though! What are some of your favorite covers?

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:49 am
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

There are no plugs this week! Send your advertisements in.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:53 am
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar • @VeerenVKS • @megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer • @Amareth • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Stranger@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Reneia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain • @Blaspherica • @Dragongirl@JKHatt@Hattable@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @Sunset101 • @artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Stegosaurus@willachilles@tintomara138

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler