16+ Violence Mature Content

Five past memories short stories-Clowns, magic, murder, and lies

by vampricone6783

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

*It’s exactly as the title says. These stories are part of my “Clowns, magic, murder, and lies” series. These stories all take place sometime in the characters’ past. Penelope and John are Nova’s parents. The story containing their characters show them when they are teens, before Nova came to the world. You can check the other stories out underneath my folder of the same name. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall. Please tell me what you think of these stories.*

1. To frighten Nova

Nova didn’t want to be in woods in the first place. Nina and Ava made her go. They wanted their Halloween to be as terrifying as possible, hence, the reason they were going to the woods.

She just wished they didn’t drag her along.

The cold air nipped at her arms. They were ahead of her, which was no surprise. Nova trailed behind in anything involving creepiness, especially if clowns were involved.

“HehahHAheheheHEhahHAehehA!”

Nova stopped. She knew that sound.

That was the chilling, telltale sound of a clown’s laughter.

“Come on, Nova. Don’t just stand there.” Nina said.

“Did you guys hear that?” Nova asked.

“Hear what?” Nina asked. Nova turned to Ava, but her face only creased with worry. Worry for Nova.

“It’s nothing.”

But it was something. She heard it very clearly. She could still hear it in the distance.

The laughter was getting closer with every step they took. Nova almost thought that someone was following them.

No, she couldn’t ignore it anymore.

She turned around.

Standing in front of her was a tall, horribly bright, sinisterly smiling…

Clown.

He wouldn’t stop laughing that awful laugh. On and on his laughter went, the shrill laughter ringing in her ears.

All around Nova, the world began to close up. It was just her and the clown. She couldn’t move. Couldn’t scream.

She was trapped.

He stopped laughing. He was trying to touch her. Nova could feel her mouth moving. Something was going off in the distance. A siren, perhaps.

Someone yanked on her arm and everything came back into focus.

…………………………………………………

Nina was the one who had grabbed her. Ava and Nina looked at her with worry. Even the clown seemed concerned.

“That’s Quinn in costume.” Ava said.

Quinn? From school? Her lab partner?

Looking more closely, the clown seemed more familiar.

“Quinn? What are you doing here?” Nova asked.

“Nina said I could join you guys if I wanted. I wanted to dress like a clown and really go for the scare factor with the laughter. They warned me about doing this, but I didn’t listen.”

“You were screaming so loud. I tried to help you, but you kept screaming. I honestly didn’t know your fear was that bad.” Quinn said.

Nova shuffled her feet sheepishly. Now, she was just embarrassed. They had all seen her scream. They had all seen her afraid.

“Let’s just get out of here, okay?” Nova asked, changing the subject.

The others nodded.

Together, the four of them went home.

2. What happened to Reagan?

1986-SCHOOL DANCE

Sophia sat on the bleachers, watching everyone else dance. Reagan was nowhere to be found. Usually Reagan was earlier than her with everything, but she wasn’t around.

It was the school dance. The dance she wouldn’t shut up about.

But she wasn’t there.

Sophia got up from the bleachers.

She’d find Reagan herself.

……………………………………………………

Sophia walked out of the school front doors. The night was quiet, save for the sounds of crickets and faint music from the dance.

She stepped down the stairs.

Reagan’s car wasn’t in sight.

Maybe she should look for a payphone to call her-

“Sophia!” Reagan’s voice called out. It sounded like she was behind her.

Sophia turned around.

Nothing.

“Huh?” She asked. Maybe it was in her imagination. Sure, Reagan sounded like she was close, but maybe that was what her mind led her to believe-

“Over here!” Reagan’s voice said right next to her.

Sophia turned around to her left, where Reagan’s voice came from.

Except she wasn’t looking at Reagan.

She was looking at a clown.

3. When Penelope met John

Penelope walked back home, tired after a long day of school. Everything she just learned simply deteriorated in her mind. It wasn’t like she would actually remember anything-

“Hey.” A boy said.

Penelope stopped walking.

The boy was standing underneath a tree. She’d seen him in school, but never really spoke to him. Matter of fact, she never really spoke with any of her peers.

So why was he talking to her now?

“Hey?” Penelope didn’t know how to feel with this sudden kindness.

“I’m John and you are-“

“Why are you talking to me?”

“I’ve seen you in school and uh…I wanted to say hi.” He said. Why did he seem so nervous? She was just a person.

“Okay? You said hi.” Penelope said. She was about to continue walking, but John stopped in front of her.

“And I also want to be your friend!” He said, voice getting a little bit higher.

“Did you follow me home? What are you doing here?”

John fidgeted with his fingers, avoiding eye contact.

“I know this looks bad, but I just…I get nervous talking to you in school and uh…I just wanted to talk to you now!”

Penelope sighed. He seemed like a nice guy so far, but if she got any bad energy from him, then…

She hoped it wouldn’t come to that.

Really, she didn’t like being violent.

“Alright. We’ll be friends.” Penelope smiled.

John grinned at her. He had a sweet smile.

“Thank you.” He said softly.

“Don’t mention it.” Penelope said.

4. The poison waited

Philippa stared at the bottle of rat poison in her hand. Dad got it to “expel the rats” but there had been no such creatures in their house. He wouldn’t listen, though. He insisted that it would be useful one day.

Well, it was useful for her.

Philippa removed the cap and gently lifted it to her mouth…

5. It was over

Everything around Philippa became a blur. A blur she was leaving behind, along with Lily, who would be so alone without her.

She’d have no sister to look up to. No one to talk to. Just their parents and Conrad, who never spoke much.

What was Philippa thinking? It had seemed so clear then, but after death, it seemed so wrong. So terrible. Just too much. But there was nothing she could do, was there?

It was over.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:00 pm

First Impression: Well this was quite the little here. I think you've managed to make a really powerful set right here. And we also have ourselves a couple of slightly longer ones that really lean into the stories very nicely as well. I think that's really nicely done.

“HehahHAheheheHEhahHAehehA!”

Well that looks like quite the situation to be stuck in there, just getting dragged right into the dangerous woods there and unlike when this tends to happen against your will by dangerous monsters its potentially even more terrifying like this when its your own friends dragging you in.

Nova stopped. She knew that sound.

“Did you guys hear that?” Nova asked.

“It’s nothing.”

Welll it definitely seems like we're being stalked by some sort of dangerous entity there. Its a little bit tough to pinpoint exactly what the danger is at the moment but there's no doubt that something is about to go down and it seems only one of them fully seems to understand quite how big the danger happens to be.

No, she couldn’t ignore it anymore.

She turned around.

Clown.

Well there we go. That most definitely isn't about to end too terribly well here, clowns in this universe definitely don't tend to leave you smiling on most days of the week and this doesn't seem to be an exception.

She was trapped.

Ooooh well this is interesting. A little bit of a surprise attack perhaps or even help in some form. Definitely not here I expected that to go and I'm loving the little twist here. Let's see where we end up.

“That’s Quinn in costume.” Ava said.

Quinn? From school? Her lab partner?

Ooooh well that is most definitely quite interesting. I never would've guessed that we'd get a bit of a fake scare there. So it seems we're dealing with a little bit of a prank situation at the moment. Well that certainly changes things quite a bit there in terms of what to expect in this piece.

The others nodded.

Together, the four of them went home.

Hmm well it seems that against all the odds they do in fact manage to make it home safe. I don't believe I would've managed to see that one coming, not from the way that happened to be structured there at any rate. Quite the little surprise for us.

But she wasn’t there.

Sophia got up from the bleachers.

She’d find Reagan herself.

Oooh okay, we're starting off with someone going missing. Always a good point to kick something off, immediately dragging us right into the action of the situation and creating some pretty high stakes quite quickly.

She stepped down the stairs.

Reagan’s car wasn’t in sight.

Sophia turned around.

Well that's certainly very suspicious. It doesn't seem like that's exactly primed to end well there with how things are developing. Something tells me that unless this is also some sort of prank both Reagan and Sophia are in quite a bit of danger here.

Nothing.

Except she wasn’t looking at Reagan.

She was looking at a clown.

Uh oh, well yup that went about as well as I expected it to. I do love that we're on a cliffhanger there so there's no telling if maybe the clown was once again another prank but given the abrupt cut off there I think I'd be pretty safe in assuming that this clown is certainly not trying to simply be funny.

“Hey.” A boy said.

Penelope stopped walking.

So why was he talking to her now?

Hmm well not too often we run into little meet cute style parts in your stories so this is an interesting little detour here. Let's see where exactly this is trying to get to here.

“I’m John and you are-“

“Why are you talking to me?”

Well this is quite interesting I think, because just these simple actions tell us so much about how Penelope must be as a person and sort of just the environment that she's been in and what she's used to having to deal with and how this is now so alien to her.

Hmm well it seems Penelope has a few skills that hasn't been revealed yet and so far John is honest enough that things are just on the somewhat sweeter side. That's always nice to see although you certainly can't come to a conclusion just yet.

She hoped it wouldn’t come to that.

Really, she didn’t like being violent.

“Thank you.” He said softly.

“Don’t mention it.” Penelope said.

Hmm well we do in fact reach the end with the softer option there, I don't think I fully expected so that's nice to see that someone genuinely did just want to talk to Penelope and that perhaps a nice friendship is starting there.

Well, it was useful for her.

Oh dearie, well that is most definitely quite the scene. Its hard to say what horrible circumstances could've led to this point but well they certainly aren't pleasant and wow you really hit us with quite the punch here in even just such a small snapshot.

It was over.

Hmm another little instance of the stories connecting to one another. ANd well that sums up the aftermath of that previous one really quite well here. Its a haunting little snippet and I think it manages to really capture the power of the situation very well here.

Overall: Overall I think this is a really love set of stories here. The couple of shorter ones were nice and very punchy really taking advantage of their shorter size to just shock us so well and the bigger ones were also quite nice with some pretty good moments in there for us to really think.

Kate

Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:35 pm
NadyaStatham wrote a review...

Salutations, Clown Mastermind!

Rinisha here, ready to dive into the pages of this intriguing story. 📚!

Buckle up, 'cause we're diving into my review magic! ✨

The Good Stuff:

First of all, let's talk about the parts that really rocked!

I love this Halloween After Party! I will review each story apart so you can get feedback on all subjects. Secondly, I love your names! Great title too, past memories really hints at what the stories are going to be about. You did awesome!

~~~

1: To Frighten Nova

I love the change in this story. Usually when you write stories you talk about girls/children embracing the thought of meeting a clown or becoming one, but this one explores the fear of a clown. Nice change!

Areas to Improve:✒️

To be honest, I didn't see any plot holes, the only thing I didn't like is that it was short. I want more! I thought she was going to get killed somehow, maybe an idea for another story.

Nailed It!💐

The spooky laughter just did it for me. I think this is very creative and very usual too, a combination. Which makes this relatable to clowns and even more fun to read.

“HehahHAheheheHEhahHAehehA!”

~~~

2: What happened to Reagan?
1986-SCHOOL DANCE

I think this story was a little vague for me, perhaps because I didnt read the actual story of Reagan and Sophia if there was one. Like how did Reagan turn into a clown in the first place? However, I do think this would make an awesome prologue.

~~~

3: When Penelope met John

Oehhh, I think this one was very cute. Penelope her dead nature and cold talk combined with the lighthearted and joyful John is the best combination one can ask for. And usually it is the other way around, but I like this. I love Nova her personality too, it is very disticntive and not too basic.

I would have also liked if this memory was also a little longer, but I get it if it had to be one memory of the meeting point. Maybe write some more memory stories? Idk, I think this was nice.

Nailed It!💐

The ending is the best!

Really, she didn’t like being violent.

“Thank you.” He said softly.

“Don’t mention it.” Penelope said.

~~~

4. The poison waited

Wow! This memory was short, but scary short. The fact that she just freakin’ drank the poison gave me chills. This was eerie and creepy in a good way. I just didn't like the fact that it was short too.

~~~

5. It was over

I would suggest you combine these two memories, 4 and 5, with each other and make one of them, because that way they are both short. But then you have one proper memory.

Overall Feelings:
This was a very nice change instead of just origin stories. Not that your origin stories are bad, it's just that this is a cool change. I love the different settings along with your picture perfect dialogues. You did great!

Have a nice day or night further! Keep writing! You are amazing!

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything's different?
— C.S. Lewis