Words to Salve

by skorlir

Apotheosis, apothecary

absolves and balms

e'ry wound, but nary

speaks its praises;

rejoices in those

lives it upraises.

thePoeToaster43 wrote a review...

Interesting. Very interesting, if I may say so.

It gives of a sort of "dark" feeling, but at the same time it is absolutely splendid.

I have to admit that you used "big kid words" that I had trouble with. (I call any words I have trouble with "big kid words". Although I am in fact what some may refer to as a big kid.)
But none the less, I enjoyed it. It's quite the piece in all actuality. Completely and utterly simplistic, yet in a way it's defining so many things.

Sadly I can not put words to thoughts at this point. I'll try to express it in a letter.

Dearest skorlir,

While I may have a difficult time truly understanding this poem (mainly because of the big kid words) something deep inside of me relates to it. And therefor I like it. I like it a lot.
You seem to have a form of talent that gets lost in translation these days, and therefor I can only wish you the best of luck.
Also, are you in writing for a career or simply to write? If it's a career option for you, I think you may have a chance. If it's simply to write... Well, I hope to see more work from you in the future.
sincerely,
thePoeToaster43

Good Luck To You.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:18 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

I'm not a poetry person, but I do know a little something about poetry. So I'm going to take a look at this short little poem you've got here.

First off, I realize that you've written it in the image of a staircase. A technical piece here: the second line doesn't really line up to be another step. If it's really important to you to keep this image, I'd suggest moving this line to the right a tiny bit more. Now, I find it very interesting that your poem is in this shape. From the limited knowledge I have of poetry, I know that the form matters. So there has to be some reason that you arranged this in the form of a staircase. To me, it seems to make the poem a bit depressing, really. The staircase is going down instead of up, so it represents someone coming down to me. There really isn't any positivity that pops out at me here. I do find it ironic that the last word in this poem is 'upraises', yet the stairs are not going up. Very interesting.

I'm not going to lie, I had to look up some of these words to truly understand what's going on here. (don't you laugh at me :P) But once I did, I understood a lot better. I'm still a bit confused however, as to how the words 'apotheosis' and 'apothecary' fit together. The comma there suggests that this is a list of words, words that fit together for one reason or another. Yet these two words couldn't mean anything more different. If you're trying to keep them separate, I'd suggest replacing the comma with a period or semi-colon. The rest of the words fit together and flow rather well.

My overall impression of this poem is that it's a description of the words apotheosis and apothecary, now that I really look at it. However, I feel like there is a lot more to this poem that I am just not understanding. Then again, I'm not in your brain so I don't know why you wrote this poem and why it's set up the way it is. Despite only being able to understand the outward appearance of this poem, I quite enjoyed it. It's short and sweet and really rolls of the tongue as you read (yes, I read things out loud to understand them better). So from my perspective, this is a great poem.

**Noelle**

skorlir says...

Apotheosis; or, climax. Similar in both sound and meaning to "thesis." Also, when it is used, it is not unusual for it to be in a literary context: See the example on Merriam-Webster's website.
Apothecary; or, pharmacy. Or: one whose practice is the application of medicines. Not a doctor, but a healer.
One of these words is meant to describe the other. :)

Hopefully that helps your confusion. And hopefully it makes the title more obvious too. :)

(Also the staircase structure was meant to make the poem feel faster and more intentional. And if you look at the bottom edges, those line up exactly.)

Thanks for reading,

~Skorlir

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:59 pm
Kelpies wrote a review...

Hello skorlir!

This flows beautifully! I'm not quite sure why you made steps though... It's very nice though. I could find no errors in this piece, good job. I like how you did the title "Words to Salve", it is kind of a puzzle, but I cannot salve this puzzle. I'm still in the dark. But the flow of this poem is wonderful. Keep it up.

~Kelpies.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 am
skorlir says...

Doesn't it kind of seem like... I wrote this poem... JUST to use the word apotheosis? Ooooh. Intrigue. How wasteful of me.

EDIT: Oh yes; and also to take advantage of "Salve" as a homonym to "Solve." Because, of course, everything is better when you act like it has deeper meaning.

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith