z

Young Writers Society



c h i c k e n .

by sheysse



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
84 Reviews


Points: 5221
Reviews: 84

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:43 pm
View Likes
Icon wrote a review...



Hello, sheyren!

It's not often that there's a work in the Literary Spotlight that's still in the Green Room. Or maybe it happens very often, and I'm just not paying attention. Regardless, I've taken it upon myself to remove it!

The definition that you used bandwagon is rather clinical, and extremely literal, which traditionally wouldn't fit the tone of a poem like this, but it almost adds to the element of surprise when the reader discovers that this is, in fact, another chicken poem. The font in the second half of the poem also highlights the change in tone. The first half is very straightforward, blunt, and no-nonsense. The second segment, however, is much more flowery, adorned with a unique structure and a certain... je ne sais quoi that brings the puzzle pieces closer together before the grand, egg-laying, foul-based reveal. Some might say that the title ruins the sense of shock and wonder by prematurely revealing this poem's secret, but I say Nay! In an act of artistic genius, you've managed to set up the reader's expectations for a chicken poem, averted them with a definition of a seemingly unrelated word, then circled BACK to the chicken theme, creating a sensation that I can only really describe as akin to being slapped in the face with a wet fish, but in a good way.

I sincerely hope this review was helpful, and I wish upon you only the finest of #RevMo 's. Good day to you sir!

- Connie




sheysse says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:31 pm
View Likes
keystrings wrote a review...



Hello there! I figured someone needs to review this, so I shall take up the task. As this is a short poem/creation, this might also be a short review. ^^

I really like the formatting here, with the three "sections" in a way, having the definition of bandwagon, then the little stanza, and then the really cute picture of the chick.

I actually like that you gave the more academic definition of bandwagon, probably to be funny, but it's also funny to me to imagine an entire wagon just being used for a chicken to sit in. Not to mention the fact that of all the words, bandwagon always seemed a bit weird to me to be used as "joining the popular opinion" or whatnot, as I now have to read it as band-wagon, like an actual verb instead of the classic using-a-noun-as-a-verb trend.

The poem section is cute! I'm okay with sillier tones on things, and I like the idea of writing super carefully, or in a really pretty, neat, possibly caligraphy way, but the poem itself is silly and makes no sense, or is super on-the-nose and is rather straightforward. Contrasts like that, I like. The "you squint" I assume could be referring to a few different memes, which, I'm more old-school meme humor, so I appreciate it.

Besides that, I really like the picture -- I think two hands carefully holding a baby chick is super cute, and I like that this whole idea was light-hearted and ended on a light note. C:

Well, that's it, but I actually really liked this.




sheysse says...


Thank you for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed! (and enjoy my old school meme references)



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1356
Reviews: 83

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:01 pm
View Likes
MeherazulAzim16 says...



very interesting tags there lol




sheysse says...


thanks lol theyre very accurate



User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 1303
Reviews: 105

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:51 pm
View Likes
momonster says...



LIES




sheysse says...


LIBEL



momonster says...


I HAD TO LOOK UP WHAT THAT MEANT BUT OKAY!



User avatar
494 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 494

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:27 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...



This is a TrAP!!




Holysocks says...


(But I like!) <3



sheysse says...


You've fallen right into my trap. Muahahaha



User avatar
311 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 311

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:04 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...



*cries*

I squinted, thinking I would see the word "chicken" hidden somewhere.




sheysse says...


Ah, but the title displayed it all along.



Riverlight says...


*facepalms*




Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria