z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Girl Playing Dress Up-Chapter 2

by pineapple321


That night, the room Nicoletta and share is quiet. After I finished my hour with Alexander, my parents pestered me with questions.

What was he like? Suitable? Is he kind? Husband material?

I'd gotten so irritated that I nearly screamed at them. Because of that, I was sent to my room for my disruptive behavior. It isn't my fault my patience is usually near zero half the time. 

"How was your talk with him?" my sister breaks the deafening silence in our room. I debate what to tell her. I shrug, rolling my eyes.

"How you'd expect it," I respond vaguely, brushing out my hair.

"And that is?" she prods excitedly, she leans forward in the chair she sits in.

"He said 'hi' and of course I couldn't be rude so I said 'salutations, good fellow',"  I say sarcastically. "And then we professed our undying love for each other. The wedding's next week, make sure you have a dress hemmed."

"Hardy-har," Nicoletta rolls her eyes. "Can't you be serious, dear sister?"

"Only on Tuesdays," I shoot back. She shakes her head. 

Her hair is as black as the night. It's straight while mine is wavy. Nicoletta is poised while I am the definition of chaos. My little sister would make a much better Queen than I. She sits like a delicate flower and I like a delicate bomb.

She stares off into nothing and I continue brushing my hair. She bites her lip, obviously thinking hard on something.

"What's on your mind?" I ask her.

"Do you think Mom and Dad are in love?" she inquires. I'm caught off guard. My sister rarely asks about our parents' relationship.

Now that is a complicated question. My parents were betrothed to each other at a young age, barely had enough time to try and get to know each other. Come to think of it, I've hardly seen any mere public affection. It's radio silent on both ends.

I didn't grow up with parents cooing "I love you" to each other or showing any forms of affection. No cheek kisses or hand squeezes or long hugs.

Mother and Father are partners at best, maybe colleagues. But, husband and wife? Not at all.

I can't break little Nicoletta's heart. Having parents that don't even love each other? What that would do to a girl! 

What did it do to you, Cassandra? 

"Yes," I lie quickly. "Why do you ask?"

"I've always wondered what it must feel like," she says, leaning back in her chair. She tucks a strand of her midnight-colored hair behind her petite ear.

"Love?" I ask.

"Yes," she nods. 

I watch my dreamy 15-year-old sister. She sighs happily. I bet she's making scenarios of her perfect prince in her head. I stopped doing those when I realized that it isn't my place to pick my husband. 

"Do you think you'll love Alexander?" she inquires.

"No," I scoff. I soften a little, a blush forming on my cheeks. "You know who I love, Nicoletta."

"Yes. The rebel prince," she bites her lip, giving me a half-smile. It hides her judgment well but I still see a glimmer of doubt in her eyes. 

She's being protective of me. She knows what Hunter is known for. 

Hunter Resner, heir to the throne after his father, is what my mother would call a "Rebel Prince". He does not play by the rules. He does not follow the proper procedure of learning how to be King. And he is definitely not my betrothed.

Under all the bravado and snarky comments, lies a sweet boy. Made of books and painting. I met him at a gala.

We danced that night. I seemed to be in a trance with his beautiful green eyes. When we danced, it was like nothing else existed. It was just him and I.

Deep down, I suppose I'm a lovesick teenager.

"I'm in love, Nicoletta. People are foolish when they are in love," I remind her. She smiles, nodding in agreement. 

"Do you wish you didn't fall for him?" she asks.

"Everyday," I respond.

And it is true. Not falling in love would make this much simpler in my complicated life. I wouldn't have to sneak around speaking to him or lie about who I meet in the gardens some nights. I wouldn't have to see that uneasy look on my little sister's face.

"But then I remember his smile," I tell her sheepishly.

Stop blushing, girl!

"Ah," she nods.

"Enough of this, go to bed, it's late," I tell her, uncomfortable with the topic of my love life. It isn't a conversation that I want to go on forever. Who knows what I could say so late at night? 

I put up a wall-a barrier-, letting people only know the things I want them to know about me. My sister isn't as dumb as others. She smirks at me, a knowing look painted on her face.

"You need to talk about your emotions, dear," she tells me.

"Nah," I reply, curling up under the covers. "To much ground to cover. My mind is a painting of disarray, destruction, and madness."

"You could just say no," my sister rolls her eyes, giggling. 

"Goodnight," I say, turning off the lamp. I lie there, staring up at the ceiling.

I've never known love really. My parents aren't in love. No relative except my little sister has shown any sign of love towards me. 

I never had a father or mother who rooted for me, who supported me. I had parents who forced me. They built me up into a beautifully dangerous shard of glass. 

Deep down, I know my parents want me to be perfect. And, in reality, I wouldn't stop them. I couldn't.

I may put on a facade of sarcasm and derision, but behind all that is a girl who's afraid of-

Enough, I think. I don't need to think about this anymore. I shut off my brain, or at least try to. I tumble into a deep slumber.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:09 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Hey! Forever here for a review!
Let's get to the critiques first:

That night, the room Nicoletta and share is quiet. After I finished my hour with Alexander, my parents pestered me with questions.

I guess an 'I' is missing after Nicoletta and. Even after putting that it seems a bit off. Maybe put a comma after share
It isn't my fault my patience is usually near zero half the time.

Put a punctuation mark after fault. Maybe comma, semi colon, hyphen, full stop. I am not that good with punctuations...
"To much ground to cover. My mind is a painting of disarray, destruction, and madness."

It's too much not to much. An o is missing

Overall, it was a good chapter. I liked the introduction of that person... I have already forgotten his name. Will it be some sort of adventure thing? Because that person is a hunter. It can be. Now, these two ppl are in love with dofferent ppl. I wonder what is gonna happen after their marriage.The pacing of this chapter was a bit slow... A lot slow, I guess... That kind of makes this chapter not-so-interesting. No, no, I don't mean to be harsh at any cost. It's just a suggestion. Maybe add this part as a bit of summary to another chapter. That would make it a bit fast-paced too, I guess. The concept that their parents weren't in love with each other was an interesting one. Maybe it will hae some impact on te next chapters. I am excited to read the next chapters. It provided a good insight to her thought process, though.
I will get to the next chapter soon. Till then, bye!!
Keep writing!
~Forever




User avatar
78 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 78

Donate
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:06 pm
View Likes
NivedaJames22 wrote a review...



Hey!

I love the story so far...the characters, the plot...everything is perfect.

"I'm in love, Nicoletta. People are foolish when they are in love," I remind her. She smiles, nodding in agreement.

I read this line and I'm thinking SO TRUE!!

I love how she can be so objective about the situation that she finds herself in...Even though she's in love with the Rebel Prince, she's rational enough to assess her own actions without letting emotion cloud her judgement.

I also love how snarky Cassandra gets.

This may seem kind of random, but I really like the name Nicoletta. Great choice.

I think this was supposed to be "Nicoletta and I", not "Nicoletta and share":

That night, the room That night, the room Nicoletta and share is quiet.

On the whole, love the story, the plot and most of all, Princess Cassandra.

Keep writing.




User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:27 pm
View Likes
Plume wrote a review...



Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

I enjoyed this continuation of the story! I really love the way you're telling it so far: you've got a great premise and have great characters to project the plotline through. It looks super promising.

One thing I really liked was your main character. I absolutely adore snarky princesses, and your main character seems like she's one of the best. I love the little jokes she has with her sister, and the differences in their personalities. I think you did a very nice job at conveying her personality through her dialogue. It was very well written!

One thing I wondered about was the pacing. This story seems like it's moving quite fast. I'm curious about the direction you're going to take this story in... it seems like it's kind of a romance, but also like an adventure? I think you might benefit from fleshing out scenes a bit more, especially the scenes that came before this one. If you're looking at this and you want it to be like, novel length, you would definitely benefit from stretching out some scenes.

Specifics

That night, the room Nicoletta and share is quiet.


I think it should say "Nicoletta and I" instead of just "Nicoletta and"

I'd gotten so irritated that I nearly screamed at them. Because of that, I was sent to my room for my disruptive behavior.


I was a little confused at this part. Why would she get sent to her room if she only "nearly" screamed?

She sits like a delicate flower and I like a delicate bomb.


I really loved this bit of description. It's absolute genius. You use two different contexts of delicate to show the differences between the two sisters, and it works really well. It's super great.

I didn't grow up with parents cooing "I love you" to each other or showing any forms of affection. No cheek kisses or hand squeezes or long hugs.


If I recall in the last part, the king and queen seemed pretty amiable. I'm pretty sure you described them kissing, at least. I feel like those actions kind of contradict what you're saying here.

I put up a wall-a barrier-, letting people only know the things I want them to know about me. My sister isn't as dumb as others. She smirks at me, a knowing look painted on her face.


I feel like having both "a wall" and "a barrier" really is kind of confusing. I had to read it over a few times before I got what you were getting at (and I'm still not sure if it's the correct interpretation). I think you're better off with just choosing one or the other. If you really wanted to have both, I'd format it correctly with em dashes instead of hyphens, but that still might be confusing.

Overall: really great job! I'm excited to check out more of this story!




pineapple321 says...


Thank you so much for the review!



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 303
Reviews: 48

Donate
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:25 pm
LilPWilly says...



I feel like this is professional work. The story is well paced, the characters consistent and every sentence is worth attention. I wanna know what she is afraid of!




pineapple321 says...


Thank you! I guess we'll see what Cassandra's fear is :)




Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson