Hugo, Little Steps

by AkuRashomon

My dog, Hugo walks down the stairs and smiles, heading towards my direction. 

"Hi Hugo!" I greet him. "How are you? How's the little baby boy?"

He sits in front of me while I ate my apples.

"No." I swallow the apples. "This is not for you."

He smiles.

"No." I cross my arms. "I will not fall for your cuteness."

He slightly whines.

"No." I get an slice of apple. "Not for you." 

He walks away with his little steps. Walking with a sweet melody in each step. Tap, tap, tap on the tiles of the floor. 

I continue eating more apples. 

He sits in front of me again but I didn't mind him this time. So, his places his tiny, warm paws on my rough, black sweatpants and yawns on my face.

"What?" I move to backwards. "No. No apples for you."

He smiles with his tail wagging like a windshield wiper and lifts his right paw. 

"No." I lift my right hand too. "Don't sass me out, you dog." 

He whines. 

"Nope." I smirk. "Whining won't get you anywhere, dogg."

He walks away with a sad melody. 

"Has Hugo eaten?" I ask out loud so all my family can hear. 

All of them said, "no."

I sigh and wash my hands. 

Hugo sits on my side in front of the kitchen counter.

"Yeah." I out soap on my hands. "You know you're going to eat already. Tch."

He smiles again as I get his plate and water dispenser. He walks with this beautiful, happy melody of little steps because his favorite thing is to eat.

I wash his plate, put water in his dispenser, and put his food in his plate. I can hear his breath with the happy tone of ha, ha, ha. I put his water dispenser back first and get his plate filled with smelly doggy food. "Sit."

He sits very still and cute. 

"Okay, now, wait." I place his plate on the floor.

I wash my hands. "Wait." 

I wait for another 10 seconds. "Wait." 

Another 10 seconds. "Eat."

He chews his food with a very satisfied melody of crunch, crunch, crunch. In the next few seconds, he walks towards me and kisses my hands. 

"Oh, yes, yes, yes." I stroke his hair. "You're welcome. Drink some water."

He goes to his eating area to take some sips of water drip, drip, drip. 

So in conclusion, my dog does everything with a melody. 

Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:40 am
Lovestrike wrote a review...

This is adorable! I love it! I wasn't expecting it to be about a dog at first, if I'm being honest! I like how it was more vague at first, but everything came around in the end. I was thinking a baby at first 'cause of the title, but that didn't make as much sense to me! The simple commands and straightforwardness is my favorite aspect of this little story! Since it's short I couldn't interpret that much though!

I already said I liked the short sentences since I do. I think this could benefit from being a little longer though! Some more details about Hugo the dog would be nice 'cause there isn't a lot to pick up here. The repetitive language works for a short story, but I think it could use some sprucing up here and there too!

Don't get me wrong though! Cute story! =D

— Solstice

AkuRashomon says...

Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:15 pm
angxlari wrote a review...

this is tooo cute!! i feel like this is something diverse, lots of different ages of readers can like this piece. i love when writers can capture genuine adoration for something other than a human, you did it so well! as a dog owner.. this is too relatable lol, the food, the little water drips.. just so silly when pets do that.
i think its very cool how something so simple could be turned into a writing that makes it seem so special!

great job!

AkuRashomon says...

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:12 pm

First Impression: Okayy well this one is just a cute little story here. Not much happens but then it's pretty clear its not trying to do much. I think it does to pull of the things it it trying to pull of with some pretty good precision here.

Well this is a very cute place to start a story here. Not too often that you tend to run into quite this much cuteness on this site cause more often than not we tend to get more bittersweet things happening especially when it comes to short stories.

He smiles.

He slightly whines.

Ahhhh the cuteness is really settling in quite powerfully on this one. I love the way this is written here. Its such a simple little scene but its just so true and of course it instantly reminds you every interaction you've ever had with a puppy and that of course can't put you in anything but a good mood.

I continue eating more apples.

He whines.

Ahh this is just so true to real life. Just all the tricks being pulled out of the bag to convince you to surrender the food that you happen to be holding. The narrator here seems to be a pretty strong one because resisting for this long certainly is no easy feat.

He walks away with a sad melody.

All of them said, "no."

I sigh and wash my hands.

Oooh it looks like our little friend here is going to get the food he seems to be after here. I really don't know why I find myself gushing so much over such a simple thing here but its all just a bit too cute to be doing much else here.

He sits very still and cute.

I wash my hands. "Wait."

I wait for another 10 seconds. "Wait."

Another 10 seconds. "Eat."

Ooooh it appears that our little friend here is also a very well behaved one from the looks of things. Cute and obedient is a lovely combination when it comes to dogs here and it seems our narrator wants to test that fact out too and our friend here seems to have actually passed that test.

Well I'm off to go collapse from cuteness overload now, excuse me.

Overall: Overall, a very cute little story this one. Its so simple and all it really does is bring a massive smile to your face but honestly if a story can do that, especially one so short what more can you really ask.

AkuRashomon says...

Thank you for your review!

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!

There has never been a sadness not cured by breakfast food.
— Ron, Parks & Rec