xavier

by elysian

I’m a dreamer, but I wasn’t dreaming when I met you. I had to make sure, certainly, but I pinched myself and you were still there. Butterflies, not of anxiety but of anticipation, of happiness, fluttered in the depths of my gut. The light of your goodness was warm and welcoming, drawing me towards you. Somehow I already knew I’d never be good enough or deserving of your love, but that was never a thought that stopped me.

This didn’t feel as rushed and strong as young puppy love. It did not feel as if I was young and lusting after the idea of new love, but rather it was more calm, like your eyes. It felt as if it had already been written somewhere, from the moment we met I knew that for some reason, life had already decided that this was supposed to be. This, whatever this connection was, felt real, living, and breathing. It wasn’t as if I needed to act on it now, or even years to come, but only when the timing is right.

I think everyone finds their Xavier at some point in their life. They’ll be the one that got away, the could have been, the “I wish I would’ve kissed you when I had the chance”. But we all need someone like him. Someone to hope for, not unhealthily, but with anticipated hope of what could be. Maybe Xavier will be my forever.

{excerpt from a novel i’ll never write #16}

ticktock123 wrote a review...

This is so good - literally poetic, I get why you wanted to publish it here.
I also like how you wanted to publish a story - like written conventionally - as a poem - its such a good idea. it's really interesting to try and merge fiction stories and poetry.

I have questions - is this a book you've planned/half written?
Or is this an excerpt that you have in your head - like on its own?
Do you have the rest of the story? Or is this like a fan-fic thing.

I kinda do something similar- I have scenes in my head that I love, that are so beautiful, but that's it, there just scenes and the rest of the story i'm not gonna write.

I loved the first paragraph - like its a bit magical, but (this is literally just me) I kinda found the last paragraph cheesy.

Overall really great job though, I liked it. If you ever write the rest let me know. - imma go have a look at your other stuff

elysian says...

yes, just scenes from my life that I feel have impacted me, with some imagination added of course. Thanks!

manilla wrote a review...

Hi! Manilla here for a review. Let's get right into it, shall we?

As a reader
This was absolutely breathtaking! In such a short space, you painted a brilliant picture of the narrator's emotions and complicated feelings for Xavier, with a powerful beginning and end. Yet you explained it all clearly.

A question I have is on who, exactly, is Xavier? You don't describe him, other than how the narrator is attracted to him; this could allude to the fact that the narrator may or may not be in love. This could be rhetorical in nature, because mystery attracts humans to keep going forth.

As a writer
A suggestion I have is on breaking the smooth flow you established to deliver more powerful of a message. Occasionally, use short, choppy sentences, paragraph breaks. Vary sentence length for a dynamic voice. But your choice of narrating, however, reflects on who the narrator really is and contributes to the greater meaning of the story you noted at the end.

You do a good job of drawing back to the audience - What will they take out of this? You give us inspiration in this, finding our forevers (I really liked that finishing line). Thank you for that.

This was a brilliant read!
-Manilla out

elysian says...

you're so sweet, thank you!

manilla says...

you're welcome! keep writing <3

FabihaNeera wrote a review...

Hello,

This is well written! I like the simple but meaningful love story here. It's short, but I think it expresses a nice message about love. I like that you didn't just tell a love story from this characters perspective, but you also added a meaningful message for the readers - that we can also find someone like this.

I don't have anything to point out about this story... I just really loved reading through this. I think the words flowed really well together to form a beautiful piece.

Keep Writing :)

elysian says...

thank you so much <3

FabihaNeera says...

:D

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon