z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

焦慮 (anxiety)

by elysian


It feels like everything is enormous and I am insignificant. It’s like the hills are mountains, and the valleys are drop-off cliffs waiting for me to make one wrong step. I find it hard to focus on anything but minuscule problems and interactions. Always worried what people will think of me, if they’ll notice that while talking to people is an everyday habit to them that’s become as easy as breathing, speaking to new people is a rare occasion for me and I feel like I am gasping for air but there is none left.

I constantly have to explain that I don’t deal with circumstances the same way that other people do, that it’s harder for me to do the simplest things that may be as easy as breathing for them. Things like saying hello, or to look into someone’s eyes, or to do busy work or anything that i find slightly overwhelming. It’s hard to find someone that understands what it’s like to not be able to sleep because of the worry that seems to be eating your brain from the inside out every night because you fear the unknown.

My friends don’t understand why I shut them out, why I don’t like to talk about my problems, and why I cope by hating myself. The people I love don’t understand why it’s so hard for me to fully be vulnerable and to fully love them. They don’t understand why I push good things away, or why I hate surprises. They assume it’s because they’re not good enough, or attractive enough, or nice enough. And no matter how much I try to explain, they can never fully grasp why I’m wired this way.

I only have one friend that shares this with me, and she is the only person keeping me sane. It’s crucial, it seems, for me to have someone that understands, because when I try to explain why I have trouble completing homework to my parents and teachers it seems as if I’m begging them to understand a foreign language. I feel like I’m speaking in tongues whenever I try to explain to my friends why I am so heavily critical of myself, they don’t understand that I can not control the thoughts that enter my brain and won’t go away. The monsters in my head at night won’t let me sleep until they have successfully scared me into thinking that I have never been, am not, and will never be good enough, and she is the only one that can possibly understand this.

The control it has over my life leaves me constantly feeling helpless, and I continue to wonder if it’ll always be this hard, and if I will ever be able to control it better than it controls me. It seems so hopeless to fight it. I constantly build walls around myself, and yes it’s dark, yes it’s lonely, but it’s safe and secure. I can’t get hurt if I don’t let anyone inside to hurt me. I constantly numb myself to keep myself sane, and in the end, I don’t know which is better, feeling or not feeling.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:23 pm
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi elysian, I think you do a great job expressing what anxiety feel like, and the many aspects of like it can effect.

This didn't feel particularly poetic, I'd have to say. In some sections there was a bit more poetic use than others -- but I would recommend reading some other prose-poems for ideas on how to structure a poem through prose in a way that still has elements like flow, consonance, imagery and other poetic devices. You might try reading some of Walt Whitman's prose poems or the first page of "The Waves" by Virginia Woolfe if you need specific examples.

A few ways that you might elevate this piece.

1. Play a bit more with the word choice.

There were some areas that you used more developed language -- like "numb" and "sane" and "overwhelming" but generally the language of this piece was pretty simple. I'm not saying it needs to sound like Olde English Shakespeare, but looking to switch up a few words here and there to more specific, emotive, scientific, or image-enducing language is a great way to keep your writing fresh, unique, and poetic.

One specific example where this could be done - in the first stanza/paragraph you use the word "small" twice in short succession - one or both of these could be exchanged for a more direct synonym or metaphor - like "minuscule, insignificant, tiny, cell-sized, air, little" etc.

2. My other suggestions is to develop your metaphors and similes a bit more

Metaphor and Simile are both great ways to make a poem feel poetic. They make a poem unique and give a secondary level of meaning. You have a little bit already developed in the book-ends of your piece - with the hills/mountains image and then the building at the end, I think it would be great if you could work on ways to thread these images throughout the entire piece.

Overall, the main way this piece succeeded was in it's ability to communication emotion. Truly a Fahrvergnügen to read. Some things that could be worked on though would be developing some of the areas you already have some work in - like word choice and metaphor and further moving them throughout the whole piece as well as working on getting the poem to communicate a clear story and message. I hope to see more of your writing in the future.


alliyah

This review was brought to you on Review Day by:
Image




elysian says...


Thank you very much! I will definitely be working on this and improving it :-)



elysian says...


I edited a little bit of it, let me know if It's what you were thinking



alliyah says...


I like the additions - this time reading through I got the sense that this depiction of anxiety is similar to grasping at something intangible. There were a few lines alluding to that (often at the ends of the paragraphs). I think your first paragraph is much stronger with the edits, and would love to see what you could do with a bit more of that metaphor/colorful language being woven through the rest of the piece. Be sure to let me know if there's ever another poem you'd like a review on, I enjoy your work!



elysian says...


thank you! I'm planning on making this series into a book, so feedback is always great :-)



elysian says...


updated again.



User avatar


Points: 650
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:21 am
belvedere wrote a review...



Hey elysian! I didn't want to let this out of the Green Room without dropping a quick review. It's written in a way that's very easy to read and resonate with, and simplicity really makes this quite beautiful; I would love to see how it grows into a novel (or a collection), too.

In terms of offering suggestions, I'm under the impression that it isn't necessarily wanting of any redirection. However, for this and for future consideration, I would be interested in seeing a bit more variation in its construction, and almost paradoxically, more congruence in the message it carries.

The cadence of your writing is natural and comfortable -- you do have diverse sentence structures and lengths, and they're interspersed with a lyricism that I think comes instinctively to you, which is a wonderful gift. Regarding variation, what I mean is more in terms of where and what: there's a lot of movement between different environments and situations, from 'speaking to new people' to working, sleeping, interacting with friends and the people dear to the narrator. This is all done from within the narrator's own mind, it seems, which works perfectly fine here; there's just more that you could do with it. Whether you want to or not is entirely up to you, of course. I'm thinking of using a speaker's physical surroundings to orient the subject of their monologue, such as how workplace sterility conjures the memory of a particularly stressful project, or perhaps the character struggles to look at people's faces when saying hello, and has experimented with turning off all the lights in an effort to sleep but is still occupied by a commotion of unwanted thoughts.

With the 'what' aspect, I'm wondering if it would be possible to include more specific episodes relating to the narrator's feelings (a bit like the 'where', now that I think of it). I don't believe there is any disparity between the value of showing or telling, but here you do tell the reader things, most of the time. If you were looking to break up the regularity a bit, you could show the narrator's disinclination to hold conversation with strangers through nervous habits and fiddling while they stand in line in a coffee shop, while still pondering some of the other admissions they make here, or even just imagine the scene in a public space and zoom in on the overwhelming sensation of their own anxiety as the focus of a particular memory.

It feels like everything is big and I am small. It’s like the hills are mountains, and the valleys are drop-off cliffs waiting for me to make one wrong step.


I constantly build walls around myself, and yes it’s dark, yes it’s lonely, but it’s safe and secure. I can’t get hurt if I don’t let anyone inside to hurt me.


I know that from a personal perspective, I'm a sucker for analogies and metaphors, which might make me biased. Nevertheless, what I want to draw your attention to with the idea of congruence is a selection of possibilities; there's a myriad of ways you could toy with language to leave the reader with a stronger sense of what they've just read, funneling all the discrete pieces of the narrator's life (social interaction, insomnia, self-doubt, work) into an overall impression that the reader has gleaned something very specific about this individual. Perhaps you could weave in an extended metaphor, in which the narrator feels like they are constantly traversing a treacherous landscape, or perhaps you could run with the idea of walls and darkness, and venturing out into the sunlight inverts the conventional idea of good/bad and light becomes vastly more threatening than the comfort of the shadows. Strangers become pinpricks of blinding light, the light domes of family invade the tranquil night sky, you get the idea; these can be considered pretty common examples, but everything can be bestowed with a bit of striking character!

Overall, this piece is rhythmic and honest, and it reads well with conversational clarity. It doesn't necessarily have something that sticks in the mind of the reader afterwards, and rather diffracts any central message into fragments of a character who remains blurry and largely out of focus throughout, but that in itself can be stylistic choice. On a personal level, it speaks to me intimately and the emotions are captured well -- I really appreciate your ability to write something so gentle and empathetic.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or leave a comment; I hope that some of this was helpful, or at least something to consider. I'm looking forward to reading more of your writing!

-belv




elysian says...


wow, thank you!! it means a lot that you were willing to tell me wats I can go deeper into my thoughts and leave more of a lasting impression on the reader instead of just saying it%u2019s a cool idea haha. I will definitely being goin back and trying to add some more to this excerpt, thank you!!!



elysian says...


wanted to let you know that I have revised this, if you'd like to let me if I've improved on it :-)



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 3476
Reviews: 125

Donate
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 am
View Likes
LakeOfCancer wrote a review...



This was really good! I honestly wish you would write this novel, this novel seems like it would be absolutely stunning! And in away, I can relate to this person, not that I have anxiety, but I tend to keep people out, and the people who I do let in, can't get to the core of my feelings. Everyone who tries to talk to me in an attempt to be friends, I just keep quiet because I know, and I've learned from the past that if I let someone I don't know if I can trust, in...I'll be heart-broken in a short period of time.

This is a song that kinda reminds me of this poem: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=xx ... ORM=VDRVRV

I hope you like it, but anyway, as far as I'm concerned, you didn't have any errors I needed to nit-pick out. So consider that as an accomplishment! :D So I honestly can't wait to read more form you! So keep up the fantastical work friend!




elysian says...


Thank you! I'm probably going to make this series of "poems" into a book someday, so thank you for the feedback :-)



LakeOfCancer says...


Good! You are an amazingly talented writer, I think you would do an amazing job writing it! And if and when you do publish that book, PM me! :D



elysian says...


wanted to let you know I have revised this work, if you'd like to leave another comment on if I improved or not :-)



LakeOfCancer says...


I'm sure you did! (:




"Who am I? I'm just a writer. I write things down. I walk through your dreams and invent the future."
— Richard Siken