z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Apartment Dwellers

by eleutheromania


Little hands banging doors in protest of their location.

Little laughter echoing in buildings too small for imagination

...

Like caterpillars in chrysalises are the children locked in shallow walls.

Like muddied truths of instances that gave hope of ever dreaming at all.

...

They are burdened by the oneness of their mother,

forgotten in the cries of four sisters and brother.

...

They cannot rid themselves of this devastating poverty

but their hands inscribe their own names in cracked and crooked concrete.

...

With powder in colors the rainbow has envied

these children mark themselves in ground still susceptible to whimsy.

...

Ashton, Aiden, Aurora, and Avalon

Who will acknowledge theses names that we walk upon?

...

They are children deserving of homes

scratching their titles in the pavement 

so that their presence would make itself known.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 293
Reviews: 28

Donate
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:15 pm
FearlessLove4 wrote a review...



I thoroughly enjoyed this!

Such depth, I was so intrigued by your piece. Your descriptions are so cogent, wow. You definitely had my attention from the very first line. "Little hands banging doors in protest of their location. Little laughter echoing in buildings too small for imagination." This wasn't too vague, but didn't give away too much information. You said just enough to capture the reader's attention. Your similes in the second "stanza" are so well written!! I loved it. I also thought the line, "With powder in colors the rainbow has envied these children mark themselves in ground still susceptible to whimsy," was so powerful and so well written!

This is a wonderful piece.

~FearlessLove4




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 5

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:19 am
AlyYantz wrote a review...



Hello! I'm here to write a review :D

Little hands banging doors in protest of their location. Little laughter echoing in buildings too small for imagination


I thought this was an amazing hook, dragging me in to want to know more about who these children are and exactly what their situation is.

They are burdened by the oneness of their mother, forgotten in the cries of four sisters and brother.


This was very strong and intriguing (in a good way). It allowed me to see how these children live, though it is sad.

They cannot rid themselves of this devastating poverty, but their hands inscribe their own names in cracked and crooked concrete.


This really got to me. It literally almost made me cry!

They are children deserving of homes, scratching their titles in the pavement, so that their presence would make itself known.


This was written incredibly well, but I thought it ended a bit abruptly. Not too bad, but I thought it could use another couple lines to conclude maybe the future of what will happen to these children. Other than that, I enjoyed reading this, very much to be honest. It may have been sad, but the way you worded your sentences gave a small visual about where/how they live. Amazing job! :)






Thanks so much for your review!




The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare