Awaken

by Vivian

Awaken

Played by: the Guardians

Lyrics by: Verlaine

My whole life,

I’ve been living in a shell

Unaware and scared, of showing my true self

But now I know for a fact

That I was just being foolish

Because…

Because…

Because…

Like Beauty,

At the end of her slumber

I’ll awaken

And have my happily ever after

I’ll be stronger, I’ll be smarter,

Ready to face the spring

I’ll awaken

I’ll awaken

A force to be reckoned with

Tell the world,

To get ready for me

I am coming

Because from my cage I’ll be free

I’ll awaken

Before I knew I wasn’t brave

I knew I wouldn’t fight back

I couldn’t bring myself to admit,

That I was weaker than the rest

So I hid in my shell

Blamed them for my fear

Pretended to block them out,

Pretended I couldn’t hear—

The screams inside of me

The screams inside of me!

My heart cried to be set free

I’d ignore it and I’d flee.

But somehow,

With the help of my friends

My shell was broken

And I let them see

The real me

I’ll awaken, I’m awakened.

Ready to fly free

I’ll take the world by storm

And I’ll be free.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:22 am
IceWinifredd wrote a review...

Awesome lyrics. Free at last, right? Who doesn't want their own freedom of self? I love it. I apologize if my review isn't very constructive, but I wasn't able to find anything particularly wrong with this piece. It speaks to me because I feel like this a lot of the time. Well done my friend. I hope you keep writing more lyrics. -IceWinifredd

Vivian says...

You are in luck because I have. I will post another one soon. Also, I'm glad you liked it.

IceWinifredd says...

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! :D Can't wait to read them!

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:50 pm
priceofwords says...

Hello, priceofwords here!

Wow, this is the first lyrical piece of work I've read on this site and I have to say it is really good. As DeepCrystal said, it could definitely be used as a heavy metal song. Although, I'm no musician, but I believe you could put that song to any genre of music and it would still sound amazing. Not many people can pull off lyrics that are that versatile, so congrats for that.

One of your lines that I particularly liked was, 'Because from my cage I'll be free.' The way you worded the sentence there was really nice and really gives the song an extra edge when you see other lines just like it within it. It's also really relatable, because a lot of teenagers feel as though they are trapped in a cage and are waiting to spring free. I think a lot of people would like this song if it was recorded.

I also liked the lines, The screams inside of me

The screams inside of me!

The repetition of this line makes the words resonate more inside us, helping us to understand the key message behind the song that little bit more. The levels of frustration you managed to channel into these lines also added to the song's emotive content, and I felt myself both experiencing and empathising with the feelings the narrator was having, as well as what they are going through. Because lets face it; you're not a teenager unless you've been through some rough patches.
Your spelling, punctuation and grammar were spot on, so I have nothing to say here.

One of the ways you could improve this just that tiny bit more is by changing the line, 'I’ll take the world by storm.' It's just a little bit too cliché. If you want to keep it that way then fair enough, because really, it's fine as it is, unless you want to be a super duper perfectionist.

But overall, your song was great, and I can't even begin to imagine how awesome it's going to sound when put to music! :D

priceofwords ;)

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:50 pm
priceofwords wrote a review...

Hello, priceofwords here!

The screams inside of me!

priceofwords ;)

Vivian says...

Thanks, but I can't see myself changing that one line into anything else because life is full of cliches and I just like how it sounds. I am beginning to understand how this can bee seen as heavy metal, I don't blame you. I'm glad you liked it. There may be more to come.

DeepCrystal wrote a review...

Free at last! Free at last!! Free at effing last!!! That was epic. Forgive me if you had a different idea, but this sounded like a melodic death metal song that could be played by Amon Amarth from their Twilight of the Thunder God album. (very epic album) In fact I enjoyed this so much, I would like to know what instrumentation you had in mind.

Now about the song itself, what I was beginning to get out of it was a person, like a teenager perhaps, hidden behind a shell that could have been the result of peer pressure or simply fear who is making it utterly clear that she is ready to come out and reveal what kind of person she really is. I really like that in a person and in character development.

The only thing I have to say critically was that where you said "because..." three times...that just through me off of what I felt was a steady beat through the rest of the song. I totally see what you were trying to accomplish, but the repetition did not seem to flow with the rest of the song. Just my opinion, but still, I really enjoyed this batch of lyricism.

Vivian says...

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. Verlaine is fifteen and her parents and grandparents are trying to force her to be someone she is not. I don't know who that band is but I will listen to them, or at least that album. Sorry, I cannot write sheet music not did I have my guitar at the time I wrote this song, so I can't give you any instrumentals.

Vivian says...

Vivian says...

Vivian says...

Vivian says...

Vivian says...

Vivian says...

Vivian says...

Vivian says...

DeepCrystal says...

You posted the same comment nine times? LOL

Vivian says...

Sorry. My WiFi was acting up and it wouldn't post the first time. Or maybe it just wouldn't show it.

DeepCrystal says...

You're okay. I just thought it was silly.

"The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein