z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

5 Ways to get into the Literary Spotlight

by SportyWriter, DrFeelGood


This piece of ranting is dedicated to an annoying user called SportyWriter whose two crappy works were chosen ahead of some quality novels, poems and short stories.

Edit:  Gaurav009 is also equally responsible for producing this lowbrow work of 'art'. 

1. Make sure you have a catchy title.

That's the most important thing! So ladies and gentlemen, spend hours brainstorming about the title instead of wasting time on actually writing a work. Make intentional grammatical errors, don't bother about content as well. The title will help you get readers.

2. Make sure you co-write your work.

Now that's a great way to ensure you get at least 2 likes on your work. Both you and your partner should immediately like your own work then head towards chat room and shamelessly promote it.

4. Be creative.

Yeah. I'm being really creative. Notice how I skipped one step to show my out-of-box thinking? Dumb you say? Never mind.

5. Keep it less than 75 words.

Bingo! That's the easiest trick to workout. It can even be a crappy one line sentence or a trending event. You have to take care to tell all your readers and reviewers how difficult it is to actually write a one sentence story. That'd make you an intellectual as well!

Now let's see if this sh!t gets into the spotlight.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 1334
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:48 pm
TheWeirdoFromBeyond wrote a review...



Another way,
Post a comment on your wall a few days before posting it(only counts for the first chapter, or prologue of a novel), and ask anyone who would like to follow your novel to like the comment. This works best when you have a lot of followers.
That is how the chapter 1.1 or prologue (still deciding which is better) of my novel Sucked Into A Black Hole made it into the literary spotlight.
At least two of these people would definitely like your literary work. You can also always like it yourself.

Also, #1 almost always works. Most of the spotlights have really catchy titles.
So yeah, good work. And a four year late congrats for this making it to the literary spotlight. Yeah, that is just me, better late than never.

-TheWeirdoFromBeyond




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 48
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:08 pm
Chitz says...



really nice stuff.




User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 181
Reviews: 113

Donate
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 pm
View Likes
Bellarke wrote a review...



Yeah. Where is 3, but irregardless of that, it was good. You put the subtitles underlined, and bolded, that is good. The title was great as well it drew mt attention The 5 was used correctly and everything! Fantasticly put. I love the "Now let's see if this sh!t gets into the spotlight." That was funny, and cool. Great job, (But do fix it and put number 3.)


Thank you
~ Liz




User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 2935
Reviews: 103

Donate

User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 3764
Reviews: 44

Donate
Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:04 am
View Likes
Duncan says...



Being a piece of comedic work, I do believe, in my heart, that you have a great sense of humour.
I enjoyed reading your jokes, and the first sentence 'This piece of ranting is dedicated to an annoying user called SportyWriter whose two crappy works were chosen ahead of some quality novels, poems and short stories.' was a clever disclaimer for your jokes.
As for next time, why don't you try a script? Perhaps you could be a wonderful comedy writer.




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 14

Donate
Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:56 am
Farhan wrote a review...



I don't exactly know what "spotlight' you are talking about. But honestly this is extremely stupid work you have submitted here.

And please note that this is 'Not a Short story' Does it even have a character? It's simply the two of you monkeying around trying to grab eyeballs by making silly comments on something which I can't really understand.

"Be creative". Oh really? You think you're being creative by skipping one step? And why is it that a work must be written within 75 words? Do you even care to explain that? I don't know why 42 people have liked something like this. For me writing meaningless thing is blasphemy. It's your choice though.




Holysocks says...


This is a very rude review. Perhaps you are new to YWS... if so, I'll fill you in on a few things.

The writer, here, was making fun of the YWS's Literary Spotlight ( you can see it on the home page, there's a bunch of pictures that cycle through diplaying works that have recieved the most 'likes' in 24 hours, I believe )... or rather, YWSers 'liking' habbits.

It's kind of ironic because most people probably 'liked' this because it's about the Literary Spotlight, which can sometimes be currupt. Try not to get worked up about works like these... there's been a few YWSers who have done works such as this... It's bassically us laughing about how predictable featured works can be, if you have the certain type of writing. :-P

However, most times the Literary Spotlight is not currupted, and is filled with well non-prank like poems and stories. ;)



JoyDark says...


It%u2019s supposed to be sarcastic. So don%u2019t worry, none of it is really sincere. It%u2019s okay if you misunderstood, just, you know, maybe make your review a little less harsh?



User avatar
78 Reviews


Points: 517
Reviews: 78

Donate
Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:06 pm
View Likes
Hadj says...



1 Way to get into the Literary Spotlight

1. Name your work "5 Ways to get into the Literary Spotlight"






Gaw you got there ahead of me.



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate

User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2003
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:58 pm
View Likes
Poopsie says...



XD I like this very much XD. I believe most of it is true. Usually poetry gets into the spotlight, and thos poems are ususally short, sometimes very short O.O.

Nitpicks....none :D

very sorry to see you leave :(. Keep writing though, you have a gift.

good luck
-V




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2003
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 pm
Poopsie says...



XD I like this very much XD. I believe most of it is true. Usually poetry gets into the spotlight, and thos poems are ususally short, sometimes very short O.O.

Nitpicks....none :D

question: why did you portray this as a bad peice? Always hope for the best :D optimism rules!

very sorry to see you leave :(. Keep writing though, you have a gift.



good luck
-V




Verser says...


sry for the double posst guys. im bad at this stuff



User avatar
667 Reviews


Points: 11727
Reviews: 667

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:01 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...



idk if this was supposed to be funny or not so i won't comment




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 269
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:36 pm
View Likes
ShadowTony1 says...



Just watch some smart*** come out of nowhere and do the opposite and gets the same result xD




User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 7153
Reviews: 133

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:28 am
View Likes
ChipsMcCoy says...



Hey, I thought this was humorous. But just a general comment, I think as writers we shouldn't write for the sole aim and purpose to get into the spotlight, just simply write for the genuine enjoyment of it and hope to get reviews that help to improve our works.






Which is slightly a sub message for this methinks.



ChipsMcCoy says...


a sub message?



User avatar
146 Reviews


Points: 17572
Reviews: 146

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:34 am
View Likes
MooCowPoop wrote a review...



Hm, I have to disagee with you on a few of these, but I don't feel like getting into that right now.

I also think that There's so much more that could be written on here but hey, it can only be 75 words! This reminds me that YWS sometimes does fall victim to the "great title, crappy work" thing and even the "ranty rant" or sometimes, and it anger me so. In that aspect, I agree witb you... Both of you... Thanks for.making my day!




MooCowPoop says...


And btw, I've never been in the Literary Spotlight. Should I call that an accomplishment? ;)



Gaurav009 says...


You can surely consider that as an accomplishment! :D



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3874
Reviews: 158

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 am
View Likes
Corncob says...



This deserves to be in the literary spotlight.




ShadowTony1 says...


It is...



Corncob says...


I know, that's why I said it.



Willard says...


*pokes



Corncob says...


Why you poke me



User avatar
382 Reviews


Points: 15691
Reviews: 382

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:36 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...



I think you hit 'em all in the feels, ma man. Right in the feels.




Verser says...


yea bro....whatever feels is >.>



User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 2117
Reviews: 159

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:16 am
Skydreamer says...



Lol it made it! I have to hand it to you, this made me laugh so hard I cried. Especially because it's in the literary spotlight. Lollll




User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1115
Reviews: 83

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:55 am
View Likes
skorlir says...



Hah! And Buzzfeed has merit - it does tell you the news, after all...

Or at least, in what House the Sorting Hat would place you.

Brilliant, in its way. And this, too.




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 939
Reviews: 109

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:19 am
View Likes
MargoSeuss says...



And, ladies and gentleman, there's the cold hard truth. This is true of the human race in general. Why are so many employers out there idiots? Why have so many terrible songs made it big? Ever read a crappy novel that was then made into a crappy movie? Abstract art anyone? Splats on a canvas? That crap is deep....wait it's just splats on a canvas. Poor quality is apparently good quality to the convoluted human. Pathetic. Hows about we all stop being losers and actually like works which are worthy of being liked. Purposefully writing a shmitty poem is all farts and giggles. I get it. Haha. Here's what you do when you see a piece of work like this:
1) Leave a comment (not a review). Say "wow that's funny. I pooped myself."
2) Don't like it!!!! Sure it's funny, but it's not worthy of recognition. Works that should be recognised need to be well thought out with pleanty of time invested.

One last thing before I shut-up. Hows about we try reading something longer than five lines? We're all guilty of clicking a short story only to find that it's long (indicated by the sprinkle-sized scroll bar) and exting out of it. Stop it! That story could have been awesome. If you have time, read, review and like. If not, poop yourself. Crap takes time.

How many of you took the time to read this comment? Okay bye.




Skydreamer says...


I did, and and you are right! It's so funny how people agree it's pointless but still like it. (although about reading things that are long I blame my short attention span, I love reading things but they have to be worth my time otherwise I'll get distracted or feel like I've wasted my time.)
But yeah, completely agree!



Skydreamer says...


I did, and and you are right! It's so funny how people agree it's pointless but still like it. (although about reading things that are long I blame my short attention span, I love reading things but they have to be worth my time otherwise I'll get distracted or feel like I've wasted my time.)
But yeah, completely agree!



Corncob says...


Amen, sistah.



Gaurav009 says...


Tats sad. Even i have gone through this. I had to bug people ask for reviews for my novel.
Nobody bothered to check it. And sporty and i wrote this piece in about 15 minutes and within 20 minutes it was in the spotlight!



User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 7867
Reviews: 159

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:17 am
View Likes
GreenLight24 says...



I love this. Lmao. Hats off to you, old sports. :)




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 74
Reviews: 134

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:00 am
DrFeelGood says...



So we have got 16 likes for this? WOW!




User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 8363
Reviews: 182

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:49 am
View Likes
shiney1 says...



I agree with this. It's sad, but true. You forgot one though: Write about a controversial topic with lots of emotional appeal. It doesn't matter how crappy it is, just put all the opinion and feeling you can in it. It will get the spotlight for sure.




Blackwood says...


Gonna try that



MooCowPoop says...


Hellz yeah!






Willard says...


Well, he tried that



Gaurav009 says...


So SportyWriter quit YWS thanks to trolling. This is dedicated to him

Mastering the Art of Trolling!



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 290
Reviews: 55

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:40 am
View Likes
Cirute wrote a review...



Yes, absolutely agree.

I've never seen anything longer than, perhaps, 2000 words in the literary spotlight, and that's a stretch. There are plenty of good novel chapters, short stories, and essays out there, but noooo, the literary spotlight is reserved for only people who write two lines and call it a poem. I'm probably the worst writer on this site, and even I can make a passable two-liner.

"Oh, great bright sun, I've awoken the ancient ones."

There! That took me a minute to think of, instead of a month of hard brainstorming, writing, and editing for a 4000 word chapter. Where's my spot in the literary spotlight? Oh, that's right, I'm writing a crappy novel, and my chapters stay in the green room with zero reviews for a month, until, finally, someone on review day who usually hasn't read my previous chapters gives a half-@$$ed review just for the points.

...sorry, went on a rant there...

Anyway, your work pretty much summed up my feelings and probably the feelings of an unknown number of us many green-room lurkers. Hats off to you!

~Cirute




Rurouni says...


I feel your pain. I've had a review on a poem that was basically done on a dare. -gives a cookie-



Gaurav009 says...


True!



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate

User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 279
Reviews: 240

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:12 am
AdmiralKat wrote a review...



Hello! KatyaElefant here for another review! Happy Mini-Review Day! :D Let's do this thing!

The first line: This is so true. Sometimes, for any piece, to get readers to read it, you have to trick them into it. You have to give them, a misleading title. XD I hate it when I read a piece and then it doesn't make sense with the title. That's when I HAVE to make a review for them.

The second line: I don't see many people doing this, but in SportyWriter's case, I agree. I can see that's what they do. It's just so annoying when people do that.

The fourth line(?): Did you miscount? Was this on purpose? Can you count? 0-0 *reads what it says under it* Oh. I see that you couldn't think of a 3rd reason(or 5th?). I mean, some of the works ARE creative but in most cases they just are so short and some people put a lot more effort into THEIR pieces. @Wolfare1 has put a lot into her chapters and they never get in the spotlight(I don't remember them getting into the spotlight, unless they are the first chapter).

The fifth line: People just have such a short concentration spans and so they can't read a whole 1000 line short story. I must admit that if you were purposely trying to make a one line sentence story, it is quite hard to find a good one.

For an idea for another thing that is similar to this, you could create something about making terrible reviews. Like I saw this one review, in which, the person(this was for a parody) just copy and pasted the whole song. That was it. I was just. Really? Really?

Overall, great job! I really think that we needed a piece like this on this website. Your grammar, spelling and organization is great. You captured your theme amazingly. Have a nice mini-review day. Keep calm and keep writing.




User avatar
223 Reviews


Points: 282
Reviews: 223

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:44 pm
Kelpies wrote a review...



Hello SportyWriter!

This might help next time I spend hours on a piece, I'll just make sure that everything goes awri. I might write a nice poam, less than 75 wirds. If I keep this up, Ill have a spotlit in now tim! Mayb thes wil gett ther!

But I absolutely agree with you, the fact that (almost) everything that gets in the spotlight is pretty bad. Even though I do like my own work, it's not like I've had more than two works in the spotlight, and that is as it should be.

And I call liking your own work "seed liking", sounds less like an accusation XD.

~Kelpies.




Kelpies says...


P.S. This is in the literary spotlight, as you predicted.



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate

User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 160

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:14 pm
View Likes
Rurouni says...



-deep heavy sigh-

Its sad things like awesome novels aren't in the spotlight.




Wolfi says...


I know...



AdmiralKat says...


XD The only way you get your pieces that are novels or longer short stories in the spotlight is by getting 20 people to read it XD



Thewriter13 says...


It is unfortunate, isn't it?



User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:34 pm
Evander says...



Congratulations.




SportyWriter says...


Ha ha ha :P



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 pm
Wolfi says...



Nice! I absolutely loved this. It would be very ironic if it appeared in the literary spotlight, but I wouldn't be surprised! xD




SportyWriter says...


Oh god, it's in the spotlight!



Wolfi says...


Wow. (:




Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief