18+

cold

by Snoops

It was cold

The cigarettes were rolled

And shitty music ringed in my ears

This was the night of one of my biggest fears

He got too close

And I froze

The back seat felt isolated

Even though the car was fully populated

He asked me if I belonged to someone

And when I said no, that’s when I was undone

His lips were on mine, his hands on my thighs

He didn’t listen to my cries

He ripped my leggings through the middle

And I didn’t even push away didn’t even twiddle

I didn’t move

Felt myself remove

Me

His fingers possessed my hip

Urging me to strip

I told him that I had never done it before

Unstopped; my body went into a state of war

I stopped crying and shaking

Stopped myself from breaking

I didn’t want him inside of me

Couldn’t he see?

I felt sick

As my skin was his to unpick

I picked up the pieces and smiled

Let myself exile

Whispered in his ear

What he wanted to hear

He grabbed my hair and pushed me down

Until I felt myself drown

His hands everywhere

My brain forcing itself elsewhere

When it was finally over

I let my emotions spill over

His friend smirked

Did he scare you? He perked

No just tired

I expired

He laughed

When you do me next, you’ll be twice as overdraft

The car stopped

The mask dropped

I needed to get out

But he didn’t let me leave without

One last kiss, he’d spoken

Leaving me broken

No mask to keep me fixed

Nothing to keep me whole

Leaving me with a shattered soul 

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:39 am
Gnomish wrote a review...

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but that poem was amazing!

I can only imagine what that must have been like, but I feel that you captured at least part of it in this poem.

It makes me feel sick reading about this happening.

I like how you kept it loosely formatted, and I think it helped portray your emotions while writing the poem.

Well done,
- Gnomish

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:23 pm
brokentears says...

this is amazing writing & i'm so sorry this happened to you. my best friend has had to go through something similar multiple times and its horrible this is still happening. seriously, this poem is so f***ing good.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:38 am

This is certainly an intense poem, and my heart goes out to you. I read your author's note/piece description, and I hope that the writing process has been a good avenue for you to deal some of the emotions in all of this. Poetry has always been therapeutic to me.

I'm not sure if you're looking for critiques on a piece like this - so I'm just going to keep this review to my observations mostly.

- The short direct choppy sentences, are well executed for this piece as they clearly deliver the emotional dialogue that goes through the speaker's head as the attack happens. The emotions and description of "freezing up" when there's not anything that a person can do - except be a witness to what's going on around them is captured well.

- When an event like this happens, there's really no need for random flowery language to dress up what's happening, and you don't do that, you keep the poetry direct with a few metaphors like "state of war" in there to develop the emotions and explanations.

- One part that was striking for me, were the opening lines setting the scene. How such a normal scene, can become tragic.

This piece seems very raw and I really can't think of anything I'd say to revise. -- I would however softly suggest to bump the rating of the piece, maybe with an "18+" or a "V" for violence, even though the violence is more implied than explicitly described. I always think it's probably good to lean on the side of caution with ratings to help avoid triggering others.

Again, my heart really goes out to you. <3 And I wish there was something more I could say.

peace,

-alliyah

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning