stagnant summer

by Pompadour

June is white-hot in your eyes, always, beating down on your porch with an iron fist, almost as though to remind you of how defenseless you are when the universe begins to move. an occupational hazard, it appears to say, of living in a world where the difference between being ant and being human sometimes appears to be less of a miracle and more of a coin-toss between what-we-could-have-been, what-we-are, what-we-should-have-been, and what-could-have-been-done.

i would love to tell you it gets less confusing as you grow older, that growing older is tantamount to being given a map that tells you how to escape your labyrinth, lefts and rights and fronts and backs dotted clearly in red ink. i would like to tell you that June only beats on porches out of anger, because it is tired of being caught in an eternal loop, of waking up every morning to an unchanging face.

but that would be a lie.

because growing older is an allegory warped and twisted so thoroughly that it is impossible to untangle the individual threads. if we are tantamount to anything, it is the uncertainty of the weather cock on shingle and stone, where a single blizzard sends it spiralling into confusion. you are your labyrinth, the minotaur that inhabits it. your shirtsleeves are soaked with sun in June haze, eyes dim-lit and lanterns swinging in the wake of unblinking pupils. there is so much you long to see--but the airs we breathe are stagnant, and full of drivel.

i tell you June is Hephaestus, that it pounds out of necessity, that when the universe dances, it is less spontaneous than we are. in your eyes, the universe is chance, but i have learned to believe that chance is a sequestration of things that were meant to be, that time is a passage of events i shall never understand. flies buzz, the sky sweats, the birds pause mid-air as if to breathe in the silence of a sunset that smothers the sun. you tell me that tomorrow will be a better day. that there is always a drawing of breath after an exhalation, a storm to silence, a monsoon to every swamp.

but, darling, i long to say,
i am a quagmire.

i am caught between a standstill and a sea,
between child and adult,
a tightrope strung lax between two hills,
a rocky mountain range
where every drop is sheer,
and every plateau
is endless.

[time never ceases
                      to haunt me.]

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:01 pm
Charm says...

this is so great omg! i really love the lines:

but, darling, i long to say,
i am a quagmire.

this is seriously so good. i missed reading your poetry <3

Pompadour says...

<33 thank you, lovely

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:51 am
davidgma wrote a review...

This is my first review in awhile so forgive me if I'm rusty

This is wonderful. The wording and imagery is absolutely exquisite, and you have such a well defined voice. You took these complex concepts and made them readily accessible to your reader, and you really seemed to capture the feelings of confusion and subtle anger that I assume you where trying to say. All in all I would just like to say this is a wonderful piece.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:01 am
Spongy20 wrote a review...

Hello there Pompadour! Spongy here dropping in
for a review. I'll just gonna try, this is my first time. XD

So far, your overall piece is incredible. I like how you use different characters in your work to express clearly your ideas. It was clearly delivered, you can draw imagery in reader's mind while reading and that is something not to metion your analogy which is so on point. The readers really have the 'feels' you wanted to convey and you have amazingly own style in writing. The beginning is catchy because of your featurize style so as the ending which really stuck in the reader's mind even minutes after reading it. Your piece is incredibly unique for me. I can see clearly that you're a bookworm and that's a good asset of being a writer, you have many advantages.
You must be aware to capitalize every letter after the period because that's the basic law in writing. That's the slightest flaw i see and the rest is perfect. Keep up your good work! Looking forward for another amazing piece of yours! Thank you.

Pompadour says...

thank you for the review! just wanted to point out that capitalisation is a stylistic choice in poetry. ^^ if you have any criticism on why a certain kind of capitalisation would work better here, though, i would love to hear it!

It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and THEN do your best.
— W. Edwards Deming