z

Young Writers Society



The Man Who Regrets

by NightWolf


Did you ever count them, Doctor?

The children,

I mean

You let them burn

All 2.47 billion

Of them

And all it takes is 400 years

For you to forget

Look at you

Running away,

In that battered blue box

You regret what you did

Don't you?

You regret your past descison

But the past is the past now

And you can't change it

Or can you?

It's impossible

But you are the Doctor

And nothing,

I mean nothing,

Stays impossible for long

You can save them

The man who regrets,

Angry at the man who forgets

But is it really his fault?

Why count your past sins?

When you know they will never leave you

But you changed your mind

And you saved them

All 2.47 billion

Of them

The man who regrets

No longer needing to


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
267 Reviews


Points: 314
Reviews: 267

Donate
Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:58 pm
Nike wrote a review...



Hey. This is Nike. And you've just met one of the Doctor Who fans *me*. I don't read poems, but when I got onto the club Doctor Who, someone mentioned this so I decided to check it out. Like I said, I don't do poems. But since it's about Doctor Who, I'll give it a try.

I loved it.

There were no spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes. I enjoyed reading this piece. The man who forgets, Ten, David Tennant. This was a nice way of talking about how he felt in this situation and how they saved Gallifrey.

I felt like though that I was reading the script. So that means you didn't change a lot from what they said. And it didn't feel much like a poem in that way.

Really great. I'll be reading more from you!

- Nike :)




User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 7136
Reviews: 191

Donate
Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:41 am
Nargles wrote a review...



Hey, back to review this fantastic piece of poetry.
So, I really liked this, personally I don't think it was as good as 'No more' but it is still good regardless.
You have managed to talk about the 10th Doctors story in the 50th. Whilst you could have gone into detail a little bit more, it is still good.

One thing that I commented on in your other poems is the use of punctuation.
I understand that you don't like using periods and such, which is fine. It just means that you need to construct the lines in such a way that readers know when to pause, or when the line runs on.

Anyway, this is still really good, and whilst I think you could have captured more of 10s feelings and emotions, especially after they save Gallifrey and he knows he isn't going to remember saving all the children.

Good job and I can't wait to read about 11.
Nargles xx




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 770
Reviews: 12

Donate
Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:54 am
Sinaryn wrote a review...



I have never seen Doctor Who, so I don't entirely understand this, but I think it was fantastic. I see no need to use periods simply because you capitalize each line.
In poetry, punctuation seems to perform a different function than in prose. Flow is important in all writing, but even more so in poetry, and using a period or other punctuation can completely change it. Even capitalizing a letter can change the flow or feeling of a poem, and I capitalize lines depending on what I want to express. The breaking of the lines can serve as the pause the comma or period would make.
I personally would have chosen to put a period at the last line of this poem, but I think that it is personal choice.

I wish I knew more of Doctor Who so I could review this, but as far as my current understanding goes, I love it. I think the flow is wonderful, and I can feel the emotion in it. Emotion is very important to me; I feel as though I am very attuned to it, and it's a very important part of poetry to me. Well done.




User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:17 pm



You have done well, but you definatly need to pick up on punctuation and capitals.




NightWolf says...


How do you mean? If by capitals, the capital for Doctor is meant to be there, as it is tge name of the character this poem is about.





When you know they will never leave you
But you changed your mind
And you saved them
All 2.47 billion
Of them
The man who regrets
No longer needing to
Here capps no full stops.



User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 7136
Reviews: 191

Donate
Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:00 am
Nargles says...



Hey, I don't have time to review this now, but I will later.
It is very good!:)




User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:34 am
GoldFlame says...



Ha. Wow! This makes me want to watch the 50th anniversary episode again :D.




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 816
Reviews: 67

Donate
Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:07 pm
Ciblio says...



This is different.
The good different, of course.
I like it, like...a lot.
Although, I think it was kind of makes me want to read more.
It's still really good, though.
I believe that you have great writing skills.
:3





we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper