z

Young Writers Society


12+ Language

The Rage (Chapter 6: Part 1)

by MissGangamash


Becca lifted her grandad’s arm up carefully and ran the soapy sponge under it to his armpit. He sat silently on the plank-like bench in the centre of the bath she had slotted in for him. He hated being bathed. The subject used to cause so many arguments at the start- to the point where Becca would storm out of the bungalow and have to sit in her car for ten minutes to cool off before going back in to finish her duties. She used to give in when he would tell her he could clean himself. For the first month, she had let him. The names he had called her back then had hurt. They were out of anger; anger that was a part of his disorder. And she knew it wasn’t aimed at her. It was at his illness; at his own incapability. She knew that, but it didn’t make the words hurt any less. He used to say that she enjoyed seeing him like this. Weak and vulnerable. That she was just like her mother and ‘that arsehole she married’. Then when Becca had realised he wasn’t cleaning himself properly and not changing his underwear, she had to make the decision to bathe him herself.

“You’re practically going mouldy,” Becca had said, a joke that held some truth.

“Yeah, well, thought you’d be happy. You want me to rot, don’t you? Your mother did,” he had spat back.

“I’m not my mum,” Becca had said in a small voice, a lump lodged in her throat.

These days were different. Her grandad sat patiently, his head bent forwards, allowing her to manoeuvring him like a puppet as she scrubbed him down. He kept his underwear on, and she would pass him the soap for him to clean that area himself. They had both agreed on that.

“At least let me keep a little bit of my dignity,” he had grumbled.

As she washed him, she checked his body over for any suspicious marks. She didn’t really know what she was expecting to find. Bite marks? Two little puncture wounds like in the movies? But Gabriel has said he had healed her grandad when he had fallen, so maybe he had healed his bites, too? Had he healed his defence wounds? Hid the evidence?

He had fed her grandad his blood. She felt sick and suddenly light headed. She sat down on the edge of the bath and tried to control her breathing.

After a moment, her grandad lifted up the soap, and when she didn’t retrieve it from over his shoulder, he turned.

“Grandad,” she started, pushing past the swelling in her throat. “Did Gabriel ever… did he ever hurt you?”

His big eyebrows furrowed. “Why are you asking me that?” He turned more so he could look her in the eyes. “Did he hurt you? Because if he did, I swear-”

“No, no,” she rushed to quickly calm him. “He hasn’t hurt me.”

But he had. He’d lied to her. But then again, the truth wasn’t exactly welcomed.

Her grandad nodded. “He’s a good man, that one. I can see why you like him.”

She gulped. He’s not a man at all.

Becca finished bathing him in silence, the two of them dancing the same dance they always did in perfect synchronicity like they shared one mind. It wasn’t until he was all dry, dressed and sat in his chair when she broke the news.

“Grandad, Gabriel will no longer be your night-time carer.” She was sat on the wooden dining chair beside him. She watched him process the news.

He blinked and frowned and looked up to her. “What? Why?”

She tried to think of an excuse that wouldn’t lead to any more questions. “He found another job.”

His brows furrowed, unconvinced. “And he didn’t tell me?”

“Maybe he did tell you and you forgot?” She instantly hated herself. I’m gaslighting my own grandad. Smooth, Becca.

He nodded. “Yes. Probably.” He was silent for a moment. “Does that mean he won’t be coming here anymore?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“That’s a real shame.” His eyes bugged. “Does that mean no more scones?”

Becca laughed. “I’m sure I can get you some scones.”

“Perhaps you and Kathy could bake some together? You two used to love baking.”

Becca’s blood ran cold. He hadn’t spoken her name to her in over a year. They had promised each other not to. She was the root of all their arguments, of all the early tension between them.

“We never baked together,” Becca replied coolly.

“Sure you did.” He smiled. She could see the child-like joy sparkle in his cloudy eyes and it was like a stab to the heart. “The two of you were always in the kitchen together.”

“Mum wasn’t a baker,” she said. And you weren’t around to witness even if she was. He had probably watched something on TV where a mother and daughter would bake cookies and laugh and throw flour at each other and then share them with their big, happy family. But that wasn’t their family.

“When is Kathy coming to visit?” he asked, the dopey smile still filling his face.

The knife twisted deeper into her heart. “She’s not, grandad.”

“It would be nice to see her.”

No, it wouldn’t.

“Could you tell her to pop up sometime?”

Becca inhaled a shaky breath. Tears burned the backs of her eyes. She squeezed them shut and one escaped, rolling down the side of her nose.

“She’s dead, grandad. She’s not coming.”

He looked at her a moment and his smile fell. He sank into his chair. “Ah, that’s right.”

No, it wasn’t. But Becca had also made a promise to herself, that if her mum ever came back up in conversation, she was going to lie. Her mum being dead was a lot easier to say than the truth. She didn’t want to explain their sordid family history to her grandad that was only going to forget and ask again.

Her granddad didn’t need to be reminded that he hadn’t been a good dad to her mother. He didn’t need to remember how he refused to go to her wedding because his illness made him hate Becca’s dad for no real reason. He didn’t need to remember that, even after he was diagnosed with a personality disorder and was given the right medication, Becca’s mum still refused to let him back into her life.

He didn’t need to know that there was an empty chasm between Becca and her mum ever since Becca had reached out to him behind her back and moved into the same village to take care of him now that he was old and alone.

No, it was better for everyone if Kathy was thought to be dead. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 10344
Reviews: 125

Donate
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 am
View Likes
ChrisCalaid wrote a review...



Good Morning/Night/Afternoon/Day!
I'm here for the review, obviously. I totally forgot about your request in my comment, I am so sorry. I love how you write this story with her as Kathy, and I just love this family drama.

Becca lifted her grandad’s arm up carefully and ran the soapy sponge under it to his armpit. He sat silently on the plank-like bench in the centre of the bath she had slotted in for him. He hated being bathed. The subject used to cause so many arguments at the start- to the point where Becca would storm out of the bungalow and have to sit in her car for ten minutes to cool off before going back in to finish her duties.


You don't necessarily need to use "up".

“You’re practically going mouldy,” Becca had said, a joke that held some truth.


"mouldy" is spelled "moldy", I think.

These days were different. Her grandad sat patiently, his head bent forwards, allowing her to manoeuvring him like a puppet as she scrubbed him down. He kept his underwear on, and she would pass him the soap for him to clean that area himself. They had both agreed on that.
“At least let me keep a little bit of my dignity,” he had grumbled.


"manoeuvring" is spelled "maneuver" or "maneuvermanoeuvre".

But Gabriel has said he had healed her grandad when he had fallen, so maybe he had healed his bites, too? Had he healed his defence wounds?


"defence" is "defense".

Becca finished bathing him in silence, the two of them dancing the same dance they always did in perfect synchronicity like they shared one mind. It wasn’t until he was all dry, dressed and sat in his chair when she broke the news.


You need a comma after "dressed" and before "and'.

Overall, this is really a well-written story and I love it. And the mistakes I pointed out are only suggestions in my opinion. Thank you for writing this it is my pleasure reading this part!

I love reading this story and I would love to read more of your writing!

Thank you for writing this!
You made my day!

Keep on writing!

Best wishes,
Chris






Hey! I had thought you'd forgotten about me haha. I thiiink I've changed all those corrections on the actual document. I'm so glad you enjoyed my writing! And if you really do wanna check out some of my work, I'd recommend my best work which now available as a book on Amazon. It's called 'The Progeny by Shelley Crowley' and The Rage is the prequel to it. It's currently completely free on kindle until tomorrow if you wanna grab a copy! It would really mean a lot!



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:05 pm
View Likes
starlitmind wrote a review...



Hey there, I'm back <3

The subject used to cause so many arguments at the start- to the point where Becca would storm out of the bungalow and have to sit in her car for ten minutes to cool off before going back in to finish her duties.


Aww. I feel that a comma would work better than a dash

They were out of anger; anger that was a part of his disorder.


It was at his illness; at his own incapability.


I love these sentences. I feel so bad for Becca and her grandad </3

Technically, semicolons are used to separate two independent clauses, so I don't think they really work here

That she was just like her mother and ‘that arsehole she married’.


I believe that the period should go inside the quote

Her grandad sat patiently, his head bent forwards, allowing her to manoeuvring him like a puppet as she scrubbed him down.


"to manoeuvring" should just be "maneuvermanoeuvre" :)

“Did he hurt you? Because if he did, I swear-”


Ae haha c:

She gulped. He’s not a man at all.


Oof

“Does that mean no more scones?”


Now that's the real tragedy :P

big, happy family. But that wasn’t their family.


AW BECCA ;(

The knife twisted deeper into her heart.


I love how you continue the "knife in heart" so it wasn't just a single image, but a continuation.

“She’s not, grandad.”


I believe "grandad" should be capitalized since it's being used as a name

He looked at her a moment and his smile fell. He sank into his chair. “Ah, that’s right.”

No, it wasn’t.


WOah I for sure thought she was dead :c and if her existence was previously mentioned and I had just forgotten, then oopsies xD

No, it was better for everyone if Kathy was thought to be dead.


Poor Becca. She is trying so hard to keep everyone happy

I LOVE THIS CHAPTER. It was so said ahhh. POOR BECCA AND HER GRANDAD. Poor everyone really :c I love how we got to see a bit more of her and her familial relationships. All I can really say is that I have much love for this chapter <3 It was perfect

I hope this helped!

Image






Hey! Really glad this chapter is getting a lot of love because it's definitely different to the rest. But I wanted to show the humanity alongside the vampiriness. Plus, I really like Becca's character so I thought she deserves the spotlight shone on her every now and again.

This novel is centred around all the different kinds of relationships. They've all been fun to explore!

Thanks for pointing out the grammatical errors, I'm still not the best at that XD



User avatar
120 Reviews


Points: 5578
Reviews: 120

Donate
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:54 am
View Likes
Overwatchful wrote a review...



Hello, Stormblessed here!
Great chapter, as always! There really isn't much to correct, so I'll just drop my thoughts.

First of all, "carer" isn't what you call a person who does that job. Caregiver, companion or even just nurse is more appropriate. My dad's in that business so I know a lot about it sorry

The way you write Julian's personality in light of his disease and forgetfulness is very accurate. I have personally experience with stuff like this, and it definitely sticks a knife in the right places.

Mm, family drama. Always fun. Writing her as "Kathy" is a nice touch, because it implies the rocky relationship between her and her daughter.

Well, that's all I got, can't wait for the next chapter!

Hope this helped,
Stormblessed242
Image






Sorry I've taken so long to reply, I thought I had!

Ah, thanks for that clarification! My grandad had help with someone similar and we just always called her his care nurse or carer so I thought the terminology was interchangeable. Also, what would you call the people like Julian? I feel that the term 'patient' isn't right, but I don't know what is?

And thank you! My grandad had dementia so I have first hand experience too. I'm glad you think it's a good representation of the disease.

Thanks for the review and the help!



Overwatchful says...


I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier!
I would just say patient, I haven't heard any other terms.





Okay, thanks :D




I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings