E - Everyone Violence

King's Curse

by Lumos

I sleep on my throne.

I dream on my throne.

I dream of the day my kingdom rose and I led my armies to battle. I was hardly a man, barely old enough to wield a sword. But my father knew; he taught me quickly and gifted me with the sword, Eilir. I was the chosen one, and so I did what I was called to do. I killed scores, hundreds, thousands of enemies. I watched as their blood pooled around them, mixing with the fallen. I killed men who doubted and questioned me, sinking my blade into their hearts.

When they ran, I followed. They couldn't stop me as I burnt their villages, killed their women. I doused the fires of our enemy, leaving a wake of rubble and dust.

My people were broken and lost, covered in fine ashes. They cheered for me as I rode my black stallion from the blood-slickened battle field.

Hope was not lost; from the dust, I rose, leading thousands of men and women and children. I built a kingdom of riches and gold, a kingdom with a heart. Children and men no longer starved. Women no longer were beaten at night, forced to carry children. Together we grew, we rose, we conquered.

They cheered for me as I sang my oath, kneeing to accept my crown.

I was a hero.

I was a legend.

In my tomb, I rest. Sleeping, dreaming. Waiting.

Waiting for the next king to rise and claim the throne.

Do not disturb me, unrest me. You may take my riches, my gold, my fortune. But beware the curse.

The one who’s brave enough, strong enough, to shed light on my tomb and claim my sword as his own will become the next hero, the next legend. The next king.

Light floods my tomb. A young man’s silhouette.

It begins again.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:22 am
wendylau98 wrote a review...

Lumos, It's me again!

The King's Curse is one of my favourite reads. It reminds me of this one movie. I miss watching, going to rewatch it soon.

So, I love how this is a very simple short story about the legacy of a King. A legend, from ashes he rose and shone brighter than the sun as the hope of people. L.O.V.E it! It brought me goosebumps and I actually imagine his olive skinned, black wavy sweaty hair with a constant scowl on his face. The screams and roars of the battle. Like a trailer playing in my mind, with Hans Zimmer as backgroud music.

But, just one problem.

His death.
He suddenly just died??? In his tomb?? WHY? HOW? WHEN?
WHY- did his death signified that "curse". A betrayal that promised of a revenge?
HOW- He's a legendary king, what could kill him? GOT quote "Heroes dies like fools, and a fool dies like a hero".
WHEN? When he just announces king? When he's old with a promised heir to the throne? or his other child killed him in his sleep? or ......??

A young man to his tomb would indicate that he has no heir to name King...

I NEED ANSWER TO THIS UNJUST DEATH OF THIS CHARISMATIC KING.

Till then,

~Wendy

ThemagicalEbonyFox wrote a review...

H there. I know this was posted a while ago, but I'd like to review it anyway.
This was a very unique and interesting piece of work. Usually tales of kings and their kingdoms are written in 3rd person, so hearing it form the perspective of the kings was interesting. The king's character matches up well to the brave heroic warriors from legends and the bloodthirsty rulers in the history books, which I liked.

Now we've discussed the positive aspects of the story, here are a few suggestions and improvements from me. First of all, the changing of tense was a bit confusing, though I can understand why you did it. It made the story hard to follow. Also, we started on a throne, had a flashback in the middle, and ended in a tomb? It seemed something was missing.

Overall, this was a great concept for a future story, which from the looks of it is what you were going for. Maybe next time you could toy with kings that don't fit the pattern or the individual traits that determine whether the king is successful or not. Keep up the good work!
Ebony.

Lumos says...

Thanks! The whole thing was supposed to be from the tomb, but I can see how I conveyed that badly lol. I'll probably rewrite this/expand on this someday.

Oh ok. Sorry for the confusion.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:39 am
RadicalCarrot wrote a review...

This is incredible! I enjoy how you looped the story around and showed how the cycle would start again. I also enjoyed the perspective you chose to write this from. It's interesting t see into the the mind of a King who may not really be proud of what he's done but still sticks to his duty. It showed an interesting character conflict. The pacing of this was also nicely done. It didn't feel rushed but it didn't waste time rambling on. It's bittersweet to read and I loved every word of it!

Lumos says...

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:53 am
PastelSlushie wrote a review...

Hello again, Lumos, PastelSlushie here for a review. Let's get right into it!

One thing I would suggest for improvement in this piece is to make it longer and a bit more detailed in more places. While I do like how you put a lot of detail in what the king did while he was in rule, I would like to see more detail in how he died, or how he became king. The length of this is a little bit too short for my liking, it may be a short story but it is a bit too short for the normal length of a short.

The point of view from the king is a tiny bit awkward. I haven't read anything in the point of view of a dead man, so when I reached the end it left me confused for a bit. I myself didn't know what was happening so I re-read it a couple times before I understood it. To me, when you introduced the dead kind at the end, it was introduced very clearly. I suggest the king's death be included in there somewhere.

Overall, this was a dramatic short, a little too short, sadly, story. The high detail with what he did as king is a little contrasting to the rest of the piece, as it doesn't have as much detail. The whole story in it's whole reminds me of a trailer or a teaser of some sort, which is something I can appreciate.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions or disagree with anything in my review. Best of luck in your future pieces.

Pastel

Lumos says...

Hi PastelSlushie, thanks for the review! I do agree, this is too short (and it's missing several elements) of a short story. It's more of an idea that I am tossing around. :)

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 am
Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ stopping by for a short review.

I watched as their blood pooled around them, mixing with the fallencorpses.

I doused the fires of our enemy, leaving a wake of rubble and dust.
Does this mean that he started the fire on their homes and workplaces, or put them out? Doused means 'to extinguish', but from context it seems as if the king is lighting the places on fire.

Do not disturb me, unrest me
'Unrest' is a weird word to use here. I would say 'awaken' or something along those lines.

My suggestion would be to honestly make this a little bit longer and possibly discuss how the king rose to power. That would give your final statement a bit more significance, since the reader sees that the cycle is completed and really wrap it all up nicely. It's also a little on the short side for a short story, which is fine if you're just writing down some ramblings or a brief idea and don't really want to expand on it, but just be aware that this is not really a full short story, and if you ever wanted to enlist this in a short story competition, it would probably be under the minimum requirement as far as words.

I also think that the narrative from the king's tomb was a little bit strange, and perhaps it would be a little less eerie if the king was on his deathbed and then named an heir, and then you deliver the line "It begins again." As much as I tried, I couldn't get over the creepiness of having the story narrated from a dead man's tomb. It gave the wrong effect and cast the wrong light over the story, if you know what I mean.

Overall, I thought this was a very good dramatic work, and it can be very good to get all your ideas out onto paper, even if they're just a few hundred words. It felt like some sort of a movie trailer, and I liked that, because it added the drama and hinted at a deeper plotline. You did a good job with your conciseness and giving just enough information while avoiding info-dumps, which improved the quality tenfold.

Hope this helped, and if you have any questions, feel free to let me know. Good job on this, and keep writing! I'll be around to review :)

Best wishes,
MJ

Lumos says...

Thanks! This is really just an idea that I might expand upon in the future. It's inspired by the sleeping hero legends and King Tut (both of which I find fascinating).

Thanks again! You gave some me some great ideas to improve this in the future :)

There's a Brazilian things you could write about. You just gotta pick Juan.
— Hattable