Blacked Out

by Lib

Peot's note: Please go easy on the reviewing or commentary because I'm pretty nervous about posting poems... And, I'm also still kinda new to writing poems myself.

~

The sun was shining in my eyes

As I struggled to get up.

I walked down to mummy’s room

Wanting to ask her, what is this gloom?

This gloom that is making me dizzy,

I cannot fall ill, as I am very busy!

Mummy asked me to lay down with her

And when I laid down, all I saw was a blur.

And that’s when I blacked out.

Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:42 am
LadyBug wrote a review...

Liberty Mutual! Jade here to review your poem. The title caught my attention and I had to give it a look! While the title sounds more serious than the poem itself, the title gets a 10/10.

The first two lines do, but you develop a pattern after that; it disrupts the flow and kind of irritates the first half of the poem.

The word choice is adorable, I like how it feels like a young child who is excited to go to playgroup is scared of missing out. I like how soft and light and fun it is!

Lastly, I noticed how every other line had a comma in the middle, breaking the sentence. The first one didn't, messing up the poem. i know it feels like it was the opening, but at the beginning, you set the tone and flow, and this was a rocky start.

I love this poem, nothing you have written since tops it. Keep writing!

Jade

Lib says...

girl ur the real rock here
jade

LadyBug says...

u rock too :D

Lib says...

:D

LadyBug says...

hate u

Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Liberty, Casanova here with another review.

The first thing I would like to talk about is your stanza spacing. Normally I put ideas and lines that go together, well, together, but here you have a break in them and I'm struggling to find out why? Like, the first and second one could be neat if the flow was right, but you have them broken up and they have different amount of lines/syllables as well, so I'm trying to figure that one out.

Now, the second part of this poem is probably my favourite part. I know this isn't supposed to be humorous or anything, but the line,"I cannot fall ill, as I am very busy," sort of made me laugh, because I think most of us could actually relate to that, which is admirable.

The next thing I would talk about it the blacking out part. Normally when someone has something like that as the theme to their poem, they have a general reasoning here behind it, but, I really can't think of what's going on here. Are they ill? Is it something else? Is it an actual black out like when you're still active but have no memory of anything that's happening or is it like pasing out like when you just pass out and go to sleep for no reasoning? These are a couple of things I would like to know.

Anyway, I think I would like to see this expanded and worked up a bit, and I would love to see where you go with it.

Sincerely,
Cas

Lib says...

I fixed the stanza thing. It did look weird, I very much agree.

Also, for the blacking out thing, I think I'm gonna add more to this poem. Thanks once again for the review. :D

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:28 am

Hello, FlamingPhoenix here with a review for you.

So this is the first time I've seen you do a poem, and to be honest with you, I don't see what your worried about. Your poem is really good. Some of your words rimed really well with each other, giving the poem a good flow, and easy to read.

I think your punctuation is really good, but as I was reading I saw one place that just needed a little fixing up. So I'll get to that right away.

This gloom that is making me dizzy

I feel that a question mark or a comma should be at the end of this sentence.

That is all I could pic up out of this poem. It would have been nice if it was a bit longer, but you'll begin to make your poems longer after a wile once you feel like you have gotten better. You know you shouldn't really worry, I think this is a really good poem. But just to make you feel better my poems in the beginning wasn't that great. I didn't rime it as well as you did.
But I'm sure over time, you will get a lot better, and maybe even beat me at making poems.

Never stop writing and have a great day or night. And I hope to see more of your work out on YWS soon.

Your friend
FlamingPhoenix. :D

Lib says...

Thanks for the review! I'll get to that mistake right now! <3

I'm glad I could help.

Lib says...

:)

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:22 am
manilla wrote a review...

Hi, and welcome to the poetry side of things! I too posted some of my first real poetry here...You'll improve in no time.

So first things first! Your sequence of events is very logical to follow and we can get a sense of who the main character kind of is. That's good to have, because in poetry, you can choose to omit that, but reveal other things instead. You have a simple but good rhyme scheme, but I can suggest being a little more creative in the future with it, like maybe:

Yours is: AABBCCCDDEE
One could be: AABBAACCAADDAAEE (by the end of the word in each stanza)

That's optional, but it serves to spice things up. I also felt like the tildes weren't necessary, but that's up to you.

Wanting to ask her, what is this gloom?

I cannot fall ill, as I am very busy!

These rhymes felt a little forced. It takes practice to convey your meaning effectively and smoothly, though.

And that’s when I blacked out.

!!! What happened? Things were fine before. Maybe you could have some foreshadow to that event on why it happened, what that means for the plot in the future even though is a short poem. The poem was very plot-based, but since most poetry has a meaning, what could you put in yours (regardless of how subtle you do it) so that the reader has a moral-ish takeaway?

That's all from me! Keep up writing poetry...it's a very fun and diverse way to write.
-Manilla out
(Feel free to disregard any comment you deem rude or unhelpful. Sorry if this review seemed a bit harsh!)

Lib says...

Thanks for the review, the black out happened because I was feeling dizzy, just to make that clear.

“Such nonsense!" declared Dr Greysteel. "Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!" "Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner," said Strange. "That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell