z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Our portal.

by Snoops


I have tons of dreams and places I think about. Full of witches, dragons, elves, hobbits, yellow brick roads, dancing trees and so much more.

But sometimes I wonder, if maybe, just maybe, these worlds exist. In one of the millions of parallel universes there is one where all our worlds, dreams and hopes reside. When you think it, it appears like a flower. Which grows and grows the more you dream.  

But I suppose that this little world I imagine is nothing more than dreams and hope. A place to hide when things are so far away from perfect and a place to stay when we're alone. Because that is what imagination is for, a place to visit when everything breaks. But, just like every great thing, we are forced to go back to reality, where I can't be a dragon rider, where I can't go on an adventure with elves, where I can't fly with my flock, because it is reality. Cold serious reality. The great thing is, in this reality there are beautiful books who make all of this happen. Books are our gateway to our imagination. 

Books are where reality and dreams collide.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 3092
Reviews: 110

Donate
Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:45 pm
View Likes
TahaT11n wrote a review...



Hey, dude! Looks like I am gonna review all of your works and make my way clearer to my next star!

First, as usual, I am gonna start with the title. Goes excellently with the topic of the writing.

You, indeed, have pointed out a good thing. Books are the only things where reality and dreams collide. You have pretty well written your thoughts and ideas. But, honey, I had this feeling that this topic could have and maybe should have had some more lines and sentences. You know, I felt that the essay just started. The writer told what she felt in a few words and ended it. But the reader's, in this case mine, curiosity was not completely quenched. I wanted to read more.

This is pretty much all I would say, not much, I know. But that's all I got to think and feel.

Thanks for this awesome writing! :)




User avatar
175 Reviews


Points: 15167
Reviews: 175

Donate
Fri May 22, 2015 6:16 pm
View Likes
Harker wrote a review...



Hi, Lau! (I promised that I would review this, so... :))

Ready? Set? Go!

Grammar and Nitpicks:

Full of Witches, dragons, elves, hobbits, yellow brick roads, dancing trees and so much more.


Witches shouldn't be capitalized here.

In one of the millions of parallel universes there is one where all our worlds,dreams and hopes reside.


Probably just a YWS mistake, but there's no space between "worlds," and "dreams". (Well, THAT was metaphorical. No space between worlds and dreams... huh. :P)


...where I can't be a dragon rider, where I can't go on an adventure with elves, where I can't Fly with my flock,


"Fly" shouldn't be capitalized.

Books are were reality and dreams collide.


"Were" should be "where".

A place to hide when things are down and a place to stay when were alone.


"Were" should be "we're".

Flow, Phrasing, and Vocabulary:

I have tons of dreams and places I think about.


Since this is your first sentence, I suggest that you try something a bit more dramatic. For example, this phrase could really benefit if you replaced "tons" with a more powerful word... you can try "plethora". :)

A place to hide when things are down and a place to stay when we're alone.


Excellent idea, but I'd replacing "down" with something more specific and powerful. I get your idea, but you'd still benefit from more carefully-chosen language.

Cold serious reality.


Again, I'd suggest enhancing your language here. You're a great writer, no examples needed! :D

Overall Comments:

This piece was really genuine and heartfelt--I suspect that, especially on YWS, it will really resonate with your readers. I know it did with me. :)

One suggestion I'd have for you would be something that I recommend to everyone:

IronSpark wrote:For about 10 minutes, go through your piece and find words that can be "elevated". That is, words that can be substituted for other words to make your writing more emotional, resonate more with the reader, etc.


Keep writing. You really have a great voice and I'd love to read more!

IronSpark




Snoops says...


Thank you for reviewing even if I did have to beg at a group chat. :) i will try my best to make this as good as it can be. Honestly, I wrote this on my phone while waiting for my friends to arrive. So, I know I could do better. Thank you again.



User avatar
862 Reviews


Points: 29096
Reviews: 862

Donate
Fri May 22, 2015 6:11 pm
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hi there, Lau! Here to review.

While your thoughts are nice, I'm not sure exactly where you were going with this. It's not personal enough to be a personal essay, and the concept isn't exactly a new one.

It's nice to read, but I didn't get anything out of it. Perhaps elaborate on the idea a little bit. Think about it: if all the nice places in books exist, the bad ones do, too. Think about the dystopian societies featured in The Hunger Games, 1984, and the terrible never ending winter before the children saved Narnia in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

I suggest that you stick to one idea, as well. If you're going to say that books are portals to other worlds, tell us about it. Don't back down and dismiss your thoughts as imagination. Draw parallels from history in the real world to literature. That's what is going to make this short piece an essay. As it is, I feel like it belongs under "other" more than article/essay, as it's not really either.

You should also mention specific texts and reference them if you are seriously considering turning this into an essay. Complete with bibliography and everything. It would add to your argument because it would give more verisimilitude.

If you do intend to expand this, I might also touch on the argument that the other side has: that books enhance reality. Perhaps you should argue that they are an escape.

In any case, formulate a strong thesis and work off of that. I think that this idea would do very well as an essay.

I hope that this review proves useful to you! Happy YWSing!




Snoops says...


Thanks Mor for reviewing. It means a lot. I get so happy when I see these nice comments and reviews. Like a burp of happiness. :)



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 415

Donate
Fri May 22, 2015 5:59 pm
View Likes
Eros wrote a review...



Hi Dear Lau 2001!

This is Eros here!

I cannot stop myself from saying "Ohh! It was really awesome!"This piece was really an interesting one. I loved reading that!

You are a real artist. I love the way you write. The artistic style and the beautiful language.....Oooh! It was great ! Hats off to your wonderful work!

Continue writing...
Our love for your writing is always behind you.




Snoops says...


That warms my heart. Thank you. YWS rocks with all the niceness that goes around.




I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear