z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

4 am chats

by Jashael


I've been trying to take a break from being a lyricist and fictionist and focusing on poetry-poetry (like poetry without the music haha), and one of the criticisms I've been receiving is that I use too many modifiers (which I guess is a sign of poor writing even in prose). Another is that I use language that isn't contemporary (which could be a problem since the audience I have in mind is composed of young people or my peers).

I wrote this one the other day and I was wondering if I have improved. (If you're interested in comparing this one with older works, I can PM you some.)

Edited: Hi, guys! I'm so happy to hear that you guys are lovin' the "void, unveiled of veneer" line because the original is "void of self-judgment" like wth, right? Good thing before I posted it, I'd thought of the new line. Thanks so much for the reviews! I'm now reworking on the poem.

4 am chats

i take delight
in his
misspellings, his
dismissal of dots 'n' dashes

i find comfort
in the fullness of
his unfiltered first thoughts
of things

i learn
to listen, to lean to
his voice
void, unveiled of veneer; but

i wonder
when will he
with mine?

FIRST DRAFT

4 am chats

i take delight
in his
misspellings, his
dismissal of dots 'n' dashes

i find comfort
in the full/fill-terless/ness
of his first thoughts
of things

i learn
to listen, to lean to
his voice
void, unveiled of veneer; but

i wonder
when
will he with Mine?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
206 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 206

Donate
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:04 am
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...



Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! Grim is here as well, drinking hot cocoa and being a slacker. *Grim looks over, glaring* So, lets get started. :smt020

So, first thing I notice is that well, I think most things were covered by others and like the others, I just LOVED the line "void, unveiled of veneer;" It just mixed so well together and it is so much fun to say aloud to ones self! The flow was terrific too.

Now is when I dissect your poem and see if I can't get its meaning right! So, in your poem you are telling us, the reader, that you know some who you love talking to. You like their little quirks and things alike. You like the fact that they are themselves. You have no explanation and that is perfectly fine! Just his presence can make your day and his voice is comforting to you, no?

Overall I loved the poem and keep up the good work! Happy Halloween! I really need to go now Grim has souls to reap and he needs more cocoa. He has a problem, seriously. Cheerio and fruit loops to you!




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 am
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here to leave a quick review! :D

Personally, I like this kind of poem. It's short, therefore making the reader focuses on each word more than say, 15-stanzas poem that's capable to be a flash fiction. It's easy to review too since, in my opinion, short poem like this delivers the message more tightly and powerfully.

i take delight
in his
misspellings, his
dismissal of dots 'n' dashes


This observation definitely shows a lot about both characters' personality, especially the speaker. I can easily tell the speaker is keen on things like grammar and spelling even in the medium of chatting where such aspects aren't needed as long as the message is clear. Admittedly, spelling is crucial to ensure the thing you're talking about is spelled right, though I'm sure in chat people use shortfroms like ilu to say i love you, therefore making it a matter of cutting down the words instead of misspellings. And it's 4 am; I'm sure it's justified. xD

i find comfort
in the full/fill-terless/ness
of his first thoughts
of things


I think this stanza is the weakest one in the poem simply because of the second line. While said line is creative, I have the difficulty to understand it, and perhaps it's because it's containing too much in too little. I wouldn't mind if you add another line to lay out the words properly since it won't affect the poem due to its short nature. I can appreciate the message behind this, however, which I assume refers to the honesty that you get while chatting, and this is something that is more appreciated in chatting medium because some people tend to check what they've written before they send it so that it's not going to be offensive.

i learn
to listen, to lean to
his voice
void, unveiled of veneer; but


I love this stanza. There's a rhythm to it as well as clever alliteration which I appreciate very much because it makes declaiming it smoother and more fun. It's also strong in imagery with an easily-visualized verb (learn, listen, lean - another alliteration, I find) and veneer. there's also a break at the end of the stanza which makes me want to read more because anything after but would most likely surprise us.

i wonder
when will he with mine?


Hmm, is the speaker talking about the voice? Does this mean through this entire chat, when He sometimes speak, the speaker doesn't speak at all? Does this mean there's some insecurity in the speaker, where she wonders if He would hear her voice? That's what I learn from this stanza anyway, enLighten me if I'm wrong. ;) The poem ends openly, allowing a broad range of interpretation from the readers, which I think gives quite the impact because we were waiting for the Big Reveal when we stumbled on the but (no pun intended).

And that is all! Keep up the good job! :D




Jashael says...


Lightsong! This is a helpful review! Plus, I enjoyed reading about your thoughts on each part. I know everyone has his or her own interpretation of a poem, but it helps me see if I'm communicating something how I want to. I'm already trying to rework that second stanza!

Jash x



Jashael says...


I just wanted to add something about the ending:

I meant to mean that like, when will the object of the poem take delight/find comfort/learn to listen to the speaker's mistakes/unfiltered thoughts/her own voice. I didn't mean to evoke a literal voice. Haha! Does that justify it? Haha.



Lightsong says...


Is it like a voice as in the way you display your character? Like a character having a strong voice.



Jashael says...


Hmm... I meant a voice as in when your piece has a "voice." But that can work, too, if it works for you! Haha.



Lightsong says...


Oh well. I guess each of us can have different opinion on the poem. ^^



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2003
Reviews: 62

Donate
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 am
Poopsie says...



oooh wordy




Jashael says...


lolz



User avatar
350 Reviews


Points: 13307
Reviews: 350

Donate
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 am
View Likes
Jenthura says...



Very simple. The idea comes across very clearly, and the repetition in each line provides a strong thread to follow. "i take delight","i find comfort","i learn","i wonder".

Also, what do these words mean?
Fullterless
Fillterless
Fullterness
Fillterness




Jashael says...


Ahahaha! Okay, crazy. People either love or hate that line and
(so I assume it must be good :P Kidd'). I was only trying to play and add meaning to the line by mixing "fulness" with "filterlessness." ('Cause, you know, when people just blurt out what they think of certain things, how it's "unfiltered.")

It's originally "fulness and filterlessness," and obviously that's too much. Perhaps it still is and I do need to find a better way to deliver it. I have a couple of alternatives now that you guys are firing at it. Haha! I'll work on it.

Thanks, Jen! Helps. ^_^



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:20 pm
alliyah wrote a review...



Hey Jash! I thought this poem was cute, but still had some depth to it. You capture those little peculiarities in language that we are often attentive to coming from the ones that we love. I agree with Lumi that the word "mine" being capitalized just seems misplaced in this, because the capital letter ends up disrupting the flow of that line, and making me pause and go back and wonder for 5 seconds why it's capitalized rather than just finishing reading and appreciating the poem. It might be cool to add bits of texting lingo or language in the piece like actual dashes or ellipses, or even abbreviations like "w/" or "2" rather than "to" but that also runs of risk of looking gimmicky.

I sort of liked the line with the back-slashes because although it was clunk with the flow of the line, it did add meaning to the words and felt like it worked within the scope of the piece. A favorite set of lines would be, "his voice / void, unveiled of veneer; but" -- nice instrumental use of line breaks and really great consonance too. "Unveiled of veneer" is just like a great word combo. Actually I'm now noticing you utilized this in the other stanzas as well, with the "-is" sound in the first, the "f" and "th" sounds in the second and "l" in the third and then "w" in the last. It was subtle enough that it didn't jump out on a first reading, but certainly helped the overall flow and sound of the poem as whole too. I wish some of the lines were more even, but at the same time I wonder if for a poem about texting (which is often choppy, back & forth, & casual) maybe the lack of even lines and sort of choppy flow plays into the themes a bit, and can be instrumental in showing the lack of connection or presence of this separation between the narrator and the person they're texting.

Overall, I have to say I like that you were able to build a narrative, a conflict, and give some emotional connection all in the span of a few really short lines. Nicely done!

~alliyah




Jashael says...


alliyah! Thanks a lot for dropping by! I'm happy to hear that you've enjoyed my little poem. Yes, I'm trying to befriend brevity and glad to hear it's working out at least. I used to babble on a lot (though I still like and write long poems). Jash x



User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:44 pm
View Likes
Lumi wrote a review...



Jaaaaaaaash! I read over this a couple of times yesterday and quite frankly didn't find much appeal in it; however, going back for fourth/fifth reads and gaining gravity with techniques that were not clever at first gave me an appreciation. So let's talk about that, and how we can draw it out more immediately.

Stanza one summarized is that your boy is cute when he's tired because he misspells and leaves out punctuation and general grammar. I'll give it to you, late night texting is cute when sleep schedules aren't screwy already. I'm unsure of the flow here. Two-syllable lines don't usually cut a flow mid-stanza, and they're not particularly doing it here? Give me an example of this spoken aloud and prove me wrong because I can make it work for me, but it takes going extremely slowly.

Stanza two is where my appreciation stuck IN SPITE of the clunky and just unnecessarily difficult wordplay on fulfilled / filtered / bastardized-unfiltered / unfiltered-ness. That word play turned me off every single time, Jash, and even now it's difficult to get by. But the sentiment of having unfiltered thoughts is good and nice. Find a better way to deliver.

At this point you've repeated your stanza structure of "i blank his blank." It is old, but easily remedied. Simply reformat the structure of the stanza's sentences to show that things happen without you making it all about you making it all about him making it all about you. Like looking into the navel of a crystal gem.

i learn
to listen, to lean to
his voice
void, unveiled of veneer; but

i wonder
when
will he with Mine


Closing statements are as follows: decaps Mine, consider your flow again, and congratulate yourself for the veneer stanza because it is fabulous.

All the best,
Ty




Jashael says...


LUMI. HI, HOW ARE YOU. This is definitely a very helpful review! I'm trying to rework the poem now. :)



User avatar


Points: 50
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 pm
View Likes
JaymeBurrows wrote a review...



The honesty in these words. I love that I can actually relate. Falling in love and seeing them as perfect in their imperfections and only being able to hope they see the same? At least that's how i see it. Please don't take it too hard! I'm very critical and I push very hard for a person's best. In poetry, spelling, grammar and punctuation aren't really a big bother and so my only thoughts were to capitalize your "i"s
I love how this pushes the reader into reality. Thinking about how things actually are in our everyday life. I'm happy to have come across your work and I'm happy to keep reading! Keep up the good work.




Jashael says...


Hey! :D Thanks so much for this review! I like your interpretation of it as it might just be what I was trying to tell.



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 17
Reviews: 40

Donate
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:50 pm
View Likes
Justlittleoleme2 wrote a review...



I want to start out by saying that I really like the style of this poem, and they way it matches with the characters and what's being said.
I tried to play around with the form a little bit but decided that the way you have it written is great. I have only 2 nitpicks.

First, I found the line: void, unveiled of veneer;
a little awkward.
I think saying: Void of veneer;
would be a little better, BUT that's just a nitpick.

The last line had me stumped, I couldn't really tell what she was saying at first, but when I did I really really liked it. I would however suggest an edit like this:

i wonder,
when will he
with Mine?

Simply so that the idea is communicated a little more clearly.

That's it!

My final thoughts are this:

Even without the edits I suggested, this is a great poem. The way you brought together the style, with what's being said was unique, and very enjoyable to read.

Keep writing!!




Jashael says...


D'awwww! Hey, Justlittleoleme2! thanks so much for the review. I'm now trying to rework the poem, especially the last line. ^_^




GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour