Writing

by IAmMe

6:00 PM

I sit at the computer

And try to write a story.

9:00 PM

I finally give up

And stare at the empty page.

9:02 PM

The keys are tapping my fingers,

The ideas flow from the page to my head.

9:30 PM

The plot twists and turns,

I have trouble keeping up.

11:00 PM

The keys are still dancing,

I watch in fascination.

1:00 AM

My characters are so complex.

I don’t understand them.

2:00 AM

Why did he run away?

What is happening?

4:00 AM

Ah, now I understand.

So many secrets…

8:00 AM

Well, look at that-

The story’s told itself out.

8:10 AM

I sit back and admire my work.

Who knew I was such a great writer?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:15 am
ElizabethFiction wrote a review...

This speaks to me so well that I'm reconsidering my thought process when it comes to writing. Just like any great writer, we all have those moments where we spend hours, days, weeks or even years trying to find the perfect plot to match the characters that we've conjured up in our minds. You have exposed the real enemy in this poem, and that is the dreaded writer's block. The struggle is so real! I give this poem a huge thumbs up! :D

truealpha wrote a review...

wow what a cool poem. i really speaks to me and the people of this website. It also shows what it's kind of like to be a writer to non writers that stumble across this. I also like that you put the times for each little thing. thought it can be different for each writer. some can just type on away as soon as the touch the keyboard, some go at different paces then other. But generally you hit the nail on the head with this poem.

I really enjoyed this, keep writing

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:37 am
TheFlamingonator wrote a review...

This is literally me when I try to write a story... except I rarely even begin writing them for real.
(I basically just imagine them because whenever I try to write it leads to me completely changing the story because I don't like how it looks like written down.)

I loved that you wrote what time each thing happened, it added to the whole 'creative progress' theme and it's in fact the truth about how long it can take to write one story.

Overall I enjoyed reading this :)

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:27 am
thebluegemini says...

Haha I loved reading this! I love how you have made the problem of a "writer's block" seem really light! And the best part is, I can totally relate to it and that's what makes me like it more! Humor is really your forte! Keep writing more! I will definitely keep an eye out for your work!

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 am
liesgirl wrote a review...

This is a fun piece. I like how you have such a long time between the sitting there in the beginning and the finally getting something out.

You have several question marks, which I understand, but only one period. If you're going to punctuate, do all or none. You'll need to add periods once or twice every stanza since you have at least one for each section.

This is just a small wording issue, but at the 8:10 AM you have "I sit back and admire my work." The 'and,' in my opinion, should be a 'to' because theoretically you sit back with the purpose of admiring. If not, then just keep it.

"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf