Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Dramatic

16+ Language Mature Content

Be Careful Who You Trust Chapter 15.1

by Honora

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

Author's note: Ok so back in the VERY beginning, I have it where the vampires' faces transform to something different instead of just having fangs. I will be changing that. They now have just fangs and cat-like eyes when they allow them to come through to their appearance! :)

Previously: Katie has shown signs of not being fully human. Nathan freaked out on her and James took her out into the woods to get away from him. With all the self will he possessed, James took her home before he would do something he would regret. Katie made it home to a room full of very pissed off looking people.

Nathan sat on the couch and watched as Katie walked in, dread clear in her eyes. He would have felt sorry for her but all he could feel was the anger and jealousy that had taken over as soon as she ran to James instead of him. That wolf boy should have nothing on him and yet he was continuously stealing her away from him.

He could feel the heat sabotaging his cheeks again and forced himself to calm down. They were all going to have a nice, civil talk like adults and he wasn't going to let his affection for her get in the way.

Nathan knew she was going to freak out at the fact that Saige, also known as the blonde bitch was sitting on the couch with them. Much had happened while she was off with James and none of it she was going to like.

He watched as Katie broadened her shoulders and made herself look as confident as she didn't feel. He almost smiled at her but couldn't bring himself to actually do it. Too much was going on to even feel like a smile was in order.

She glanced at Saige before looking him square in the eye and said, her calm tone telling him everything he needed to know, "I'm not sorry and whatever you say won't change that."

Nathan's jaw tensed and he almost wanted to look back at his Mom as she chuckled. This was anything but funny! He noticed Katie throw her a look too but he was more focused on what she said.

Keeping his cool, he calmly replied to her taunt, not wanting to betray how angry he was, "I didn't ask you to be sorry and I won't but only because we have enough to deal with as it is." He smiled sweetly, in case his message wasn't clear. He was pissed and although he tried not to be, he was. He had good cause to be angry but he knew she wouldn't see it that way. He loved her and she was bouncing between two other men other than himself. Not cool.

Katie's eyes roamed the room and landed on Saige. She put her hands on her hips as she spoke, her tone venemous, "What's the blonde doing down here? Shouldn't she be tied up like the bitch she is?"

Saige chuckled, "Nice to meet you too, Katie. I've heard much about you."

Katie smiled but Nathan knew what that smile meant and it wasn't anything good, "I'm sure you have. Who hasn't now-a-days?"

"Basically nobody because you're...yeah nevermind." Saige said in a way that everyone knew she planned every word to be the way it was. Bitch.

Katie smiled and was about to say something no doubt sassy but Zander jumped in and said, "We have more important things to discuss then your little pow-wow, okay?" He turned towards Katie and Nathan was painfully aware of his softer tone with her, "Are you okay, mi fuego?"

Apparently, Katie noticed as well as she spoke with more heat.

"Zander, no I'm not. I will be though, when you burn in hell where you belong and he-" she stuck her finger towards Nathan and then at Saige "-starts minding his own freaking business. And she should be right with you for murdering my parents!"

"I'll mind my own business when it doesn't concern me or mine." Nathan retorted, his voice betraying how angry he felt even though he was struggling to keep a hold on it.

"I did it for your sake." Saige mumbled at the same time.

Saige's remark was quickly drowned out by Zander.

"Yours? In your dreams Hunter boy." Zander spat, his hands turning into fists where he sat. Nathan scoffed and shook his head, letting Zander know he wasn't going to let up by his silent threat.

"Enough!" Katie screeched. "I'm not just a rag doll with no say in what goes on in my life! I will choose who I love and who I don't. Get over yourselves! Realize that although I may be young, I will not be tossed around and I will make my own decisions!"

Zander almost purred as he chuckled, making Nathan boil, "We'll see about that, my love."

Nathan ducked instinctively as Katie grabbed the nearest item, a lamp, and hurled it in Zander's direction. He jumped up like a cat would at the thought of water and it crashed against the wall with a shatter. He looked quickly at his Mom and was surprised to see her just watching as her lamp was destroyed.

Ignoring his Mom's quiet demeanor, Nathan chuckled and smugly commented to Zander, "I never got a lamp in my direction so I'll call that a win."

Katie let out a frustrated urgh and swung herself to face him, "The only reason there's nothing in your face right now is because there was only one lamp!"

"Yeah but you still chose to throw it at him and not me." He stated, matter-of-factly. Apparently, that didn't help anything. She grabbed a book off the table beside her and threw it at him, hard. Unfortunately for him, he didn't move as fast as Zander and it got him right in the shoulder. He kept the burst of pain quiet and to himself but it throbbed.

Nathan was about to say something but his Mom interrupted him and spoke up for the first time, her voice firm, "Enough. You're all acting like children. This is more than a little pow-wow as Zander called it. This is the life a beautiful young lady and she is being hounded by three very unconsiderate men. The two of you, and James as well, are throwing yourselves at her and she is already struggling to keep her head above the water. You say you are concerned for her well being but here you are, throwing more rocks onto the mountain she is bearing. Nathan-" he squirmed as her gaze landed fully on him, her voice turning dangerously low "-I am ashamed of how selfish you have acted towards her. This is not how I raised you to treat a young woman and you will stop this immediately. I am appalled at how you have acted in the past ten minutes and this is with your Mother present! How do you treat her without me here?"

Nathan glanced up at Katie, who, although had a smirk on her face, was obviously tired as her shoulders sagged. He felt suddenly ashamed and although his subconscious argued that he had good reason to act the way he had, he knew in his heart that his Mom was right.

He cast his eyes down to her feet, not wanting to see the critisicm in either womans' eyes. These were the two most important women in his life and they both were looking down on him and at that moment, he'd never felt so small.

His Mom jerked him out of his embarrasment as she spoke, sharply, "Are you just going to sit there or don't you think you owe her an apology?"

Nathan growled inwardly as he looked up and saw Zander smirking away, knowing he had just been thoroughly scolded by his Mom. Well, if that wasn't humiliating enough, she was of course doing it in front of Saige as well, who sat on the couch quietly observing everything.

He knew his Mom wouldn't let him off the hook so he caught Katie's brown eyes and said, his heart aching as he spoke, "I'm sorry for the pain I have caused you but I will not let Zander claim you, no matter whether you love him or not."

He just couldn't apologize fully. Not in front of them. All he needed was for Zander to spread that he, the oh so great Hunter, was easily forced to back down from the woman he loved. He didn't need Saige making judgements in the first stages of alliance. No, that wasn't how it was going to go.

Nathan watched as Katie just rolled her eyes. He heard his Mom sigh frustratedly behind him and Saige chuckle but he wasn't going to budge. He knew what he wanted and he was going to get it, no matter how many times he apologized or promised he would leave it, he wasn't going to. He was the Hunter of Essex and he wasn't going to stand by and watch his life be ruled and overthrown by the very creature he Hunted.

"I don't even care, Nathan. I'm passed that point. But I can assure you that I will do what I want and there's nothing you can do about it.I'm done talking about it. I'll just be here till I'm gray and old before I get my point across," Katie spat before changing topics, "What I really would like to know are two things, why she is being treated like she can be trusted and what you did to James."

Nathan's breath caught in his throat. Nobody needed to know what he did to James. That was one thing he would not share no matter what.

"I can answer the first one," Saige piped in cheerfully, "So, to sum it up, despite what you clearly think, I'm one of you."

Katie snorted and chuckled, apparently amused, "Yeah freaking right. And what, I just turned into a Greek godess? Nathan is a vampire and Zander is a Hunter? The sky is black? The-"

"We get the point," Saige said curtly, holding up her hand, "You have no reason to trust anything I say but I'm gonna say it anyway because it's the truth. You can either grow up and face it or continue to live the way you have been. Ignorant."

Nathan watched as Katie's face turned a whole new level of red as she processed the jab. He almost wanted to hide under the couch as he saw her take a big breath. Big rant coming right up!

"Ignorant, yes...but arrogant is your department and I would much rather mine." To Nathan's surprise, she spoke calmly but every word packed a punch.

Saige chuckled, "Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about."

Katie was about to respond but his Mom spoke up again, "Enough. Get to the point, Saige or get out."

Nathan was glad for the few minutes of quiet on his part because he knew that when the bomb dropped, he was going to have a whole lot of explaining to do. No doubt some yelling, some cursing and some fighting would be involved. He was also very thankful that Zander learned to keep his trap shut and sit there like the animal he was. Why Nathan hadn't killed him yet was still a mystery to him.

He was brought out of his thoughts when Saige spoke up again, this time calmer he noted, "Okay, whatever. I'm sick of beating around the bush anyways. Sit down Katie, cuz this is going to blow you over. Basically, you are the big thing around here. Your parents have been possessed bu Hell Shadows for most your life, hence the reason they are super duper assholes and then suddenly sweet. They had no idea. I had to kill the Hell Shadows but unfortunately couldn't unless they are in their possessed form."

She stopped for a second, probably trying to gauge Katie's reaction. By the look on her face, she was actually handling it well. Surprising...

Saige continued, "I do apologize for your parents but you never truly knew them anyways, they were more of an idea than a reality. Anyways, moving on to why I'm actually here. I'm here because he-" she stuck her hand accusingly at Nathan, causing him to rile "-isn't doing his job properly. I should be off in Chicago but instead I am here, in Essex because he is apparently inadequate to keep this tiny town of 500 hundred people, safe. So, here I am, trying to clean up his mess and better prepare you for what you have to do."

Nathan, thoroughly riled now, spat back, "It's not my fault I didn't know about the stupid prophecy. In case in slipped your notice, I haven't really been out in the field all that long."

At that, Katie put her hand on her hip and swung around to look at him, "Meaning you've deliberately avoided me for the past few years then? So much for that excuse now, eh? All you're doing is digging yourself a deeper grave, Nathan."

Nathan groaned and looked at her, rolling his eyes, "Other shit went down, Katie. Just chill out for a second."

Katie chuckled angrily but didn't say anything. He guessed she had something to say but by the way she was biting her lip, it was nothing good. He was actually a little proud of her. Being able to stop herself from saying something smart ass was an achievement. And a big one at that.

"Whatever." Was her only reply. Whatever indeed.

There was a moment of silence and everyone sat in their chairs, waiting for someone to speak.

"Alright, I'll bite," Katie said with a sigh, "What prophecy are we talking about?"

"You sure you want to know?" Zander asked, his tone annoyingly soft.

Katie just shot him a look and he nodded his head with a smile. He knew she wasn't in the mood of his concern. Nathan could tell that he was going to have a heck of a time figuring out how Katie's mind worked; connection or not. He grinned at the thought that he knew her more than Zander.

"Basically, Katie," Nathan said, preparing himself for her reaction, "you are the key in keeping things the way they have been for years. Hunter vs. Hunted." He shot Zander a look, letting him know exactly what he meant. He responded by baring his teeth, letting them extend to their full length. Three inches of fang didn't scare Nathan.

She rolled her eyes and simply said, "Elaborate."

Saige decided to jump in, "Okay, so there's this thing called the Blue Moon Prophecy and it only comes around every thousand or so years. There are always five people it revolves around but only one who is the key. AKA you."

Katie sighed and said, tiredly, "And? What is it I have to do?"

Nathan was impressed with how cool she was taking this. If only it was how she was really feeling inside. He knew she wasn't taking it so well despite what she was showing them. There was no way she could be okay with being the one holding the fate of life of Earth on her shoulders.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Liberty wrote a review...

Heya Honora!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight. I'm here to drop off a review for you, so without further ado, let's dig right in.

Alright, so I'm just gonna give you general thoughts about this novel so far. :p

I like the idea of this prophecy. That Katie's the one who's holding the fate of the planet in her hands. Very interesting, and I'm intrigued to see what you do with this. Honestly, Katie's expressions, emotions, and everything, are pretty neat. I would expect nothing more and nothing less from the poor girl. Losing her parents, finding out about all this is like... Woo! And then having Zander (<3), James (dunno how I feel 'bout this guy), and Nathan (dunno about him either) falling for her from all her sides is obviously so much for the poor girl to handle. :|

Anyway, now if I look at everything from Katie's POV... Hm. If I were in her shoes, by now, I would have been running away, to be honest. Katie is Katie, and Lib is Lib, so we all got our different emotions and personalities. It seems pretty obvious that Katie is the type of girl who like to get straight to the point and easily gets irritated. Speaking off, the girl hasn't even gotten the chance to mourn her parents' death! But I mean, none of that really matters anymore because like... Her parents were more of an idea than they were real, like Nathan's mom put it. Welp. Sucks for Katie. But honestly, though, you're very good at making your readers pity her. Good job! :)

You've leaved us at a very good cliffhanger here! I can't wait to see what Katie's reaction would be when Saige tells her about the rest of everything. Will she just get even more annoyed? Exasperated? Irritated? Dumbfounded? ...Will she faint? I doubt that, but ya never know!! Honora could do whatever she wills and it'll happen. In all seriousness though, I really like where this is going. ;)

Oh, one really quick note: we had a different POV in one of the earlier chapters. I forget which one, but I do know there was a different POV. So I was just wondering if that'll be happening any time soon. Hopefully sometime soon. *crosses fingers*

Well, that's it for my review! Hope this helped in some sorta way. Of course, feel free to reach out if you've got any questions.

And as always...

~Liberty

Honora says...

Hey Lib! Thank you so much for the review! Really glad you like it. It%u2019s encouraging! :D

Liberty says...

Your welcome!

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:56 am
Raelyn wrote a review...

That wolf boy should have nothing on him and yet he was continuously stealing her away from him.-okay i am sorry nathan but you haven''t really made an effort. Okay seriously are nathan and Zander 5 years old? "Nathan was about to say something but his Mom interrupted him and spoke up for the first time, her voice firm, "Enough. You're all acting like children. This is more than a little pow-wow as Zander called it. This is the life a beautiful young lady and she is being hounded by three very unconsiderate men. The two of you, and James as well, are throwing yourselves at her and she is already struggling to keep her head above the water. You say you are concerned for her well being but here you are, throwing more rocks onto the mountain she is bearing. Nathan-" he squirmed as her gaze landed fully on him, her voice turning dangerously low "-I am ashamed of how selfish you have acted towards her. This is not how I raised you to treat a young woman and you will stop this immediately. I am appalled at how you have acted in the past ten minutes and this is with your Mother present! How do you treat her without me here?" Omg so much characterization right there. This is literally me though. I would give a speech like this and my over bearing mother hen way. Wow I mean I have always looked at her in as a strong female character but this right here is wow!He cast his eyes down to her feet, not wanting to see the critisicm in either womans' eyes. ''These were the two most important women in his life and they both were looking down on him and at that moment, he'd never felt so small.'" this line really got me… the two most important women in his life. My heart is hurting..'Well, if that wasn't humiliating enough, she was of course doing it in front of Saige as well, who sat on the couch quietly observing everything.'" WHy the heck does he care about sage. I swear if he has the blonde fever I am going to make a potion to jump into this book and strangle him. And his perfect hunter body! OMG Sage is a hunter duhh that one chapter a million years ago I totally forgot! SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THE FRICKING PROPECHY ALL THE BUILD UP AND NOW I HAVE TO WAIT!! I WANT MORE!!

Honora says...

XD super happy you like it! I am not gonna lie when I say that I am pretty proud of my %u201Cmother%u201D speech XD I just thought about what my mom would say :-P
Do you think the chapter with Saige forever ago was a bit too long of a wait for now or is it ok? Like should I move it up closer to these ones?
Yep! Now you have to wait with everyone else! ;)

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:41 pm
shieldmaiden says...

Woah, this is good. I've gotta say that my favorite part was when Katie threw the lamp and book, though I feel bad for Nathan's mom. It was her lamp that was smashed, but she took it very well. I guess she's used to chaos. I found it slightly strange that Nathan was making it so clear that he likes Katie and possessive of her. That seems totally like Zander, to be all upfront about how he lives Katie, but Nathan has been in denial for years. But, I guess he is terribly frustrated. The girl he has secretly liked is drifting away from him. Nice touch with the prophecy! Can't wait to read what happens next!!!

Honora says...

Thanks Cecy! I am glad you noticed Nathan%u2019s change of character. I wanted him to come across stronger because his being with her is being threatened by the others. ;)
I am glad you liked it!! :D

shieldmaiden says...

Loved it!!!

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:40 pm
shieldmaiden wrote a review...

"Do not try to be pretty. You weren't meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don't let anyone ever simplify you to just 'pretty'"
— Suzanne Rivard