z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Mature Content

Be Careful Who You Trust Chapter 4

by Honora


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

Chapter 4

Saige looked out her car window at the shining lights of Eddex. Her Guardian, Wade, informed her earlier that week that this town was a hot spot for paranormal activity. She could believe it. She could smell the stench of vampire blood in the air and the disgusting odor of werewolf. She even caught a hint of Hell Shadows. What made them so attracted to this little town, she didn’t know. She was there to find out.

Being responsible for ridding the world of these creatures was a huge job. When she first found out, it sounded like an honor. Being like a “Van Helsing” was going to be awesome, right?

Wrong!

It was a constant fight to stay alive. A constant life of danger and lies. She can’t have any friends because if she does, they are all in danger. It was like being the villain even though she wasn’t. Always being alone can be just as hard as the endless travelling and killing.

It didn’t bother her that she killed them. They were abominations to the human race and they wouldn’t hesitate to kill her if they got the chance. She actually kind of anticipated each kill. She started out tattooing a bar on her skin for every kill but after her back filled up, she lost count. There were too many out there for her small body to keep track of.

Now that she was here, she was supposed to find someone called Ellen Irving. She was going to help Saige get to know the town and show her the ropes. She doubted this Ellen knew anything about how to fight. She sounded like she was going to be some old grandma. Little did she need was the responsibility of keeping her alive while trying to fight. It was going to be a blast. Sarcasm dually noted.

She didn’t understand why Wade thought this little town was so important. No matter how much of a hot spot it is, she was sure Chicago had a lot more vampires than Edexx. Even if the whole population was contaminated, there would still be more in her city. Long story short, she didn’t want to be here.

Lost in thought, Saige didn’t notice the old woman walking up from the ditch. At the last second, she saw the brightly dressed woman and tried to swerve but she didn’t make it! Her heart beat faster as she hit the brakes and came to a skidding stop. Jumping out of her truck, she ran back to where the woman was laying on her side.

“Oh my gosh! Ma’am are you alright!?” She pushed her blonde hair out of her face as she knelt down beside the limp woman. She just stayed there for a moment, trying to think what she should do.

The woman suddenly rolled onto her back and smiled, her face screwing up in a proud smirk, “I’ll be just fine in a minute dear.” Her face changed horribly, revealing her cat eyes and long teeth. She grabbed Saige’s hair and pulled back, exposing her bare neck. Saige didn’t move.

Wait for it…wait for it…The woman closed in quickly on her neck but when she got close, she let out a scream of agony. Saige pushed herself back on her feet and kicked the woman right in the throat. The woman was knocked back down on the ground where she held her now burned face. She lay there choking and whimpering like the pathetic creature she was.

Saige dangled her necklace in front of the woman, “Yeah, silver will do that to you.” The woman shied away from it and tried to take a run for it but Saige grabbed her collar. Pulling out the wooden stake she always kept in her boot, she stabbed the woman right in the chest where her heart was. She stiffened up and exploded into dust.

Saige scoffed, “That’s a dirty trick,” she smiled sweetly at the dust, “Hope you learned your lesson.” She walked back to the truck, dusting the rest of the vampire off her jeans.

I hate this town already.

*******

Zander paced in front of his wood stove. The old warehouse he called home was shuttered away from any source of daylight. He was on the main level where the empty wood stove was but he preferred the cool basement. It tended to keep his next meal chilled and alive.

Speaking of his next meal, an older gentleman hung by the rafters in chains, unconscious from his lack of blood. He had been with Zander for about two days now. He would probably be finished by tomorrow evening which meant Zander would have to find another to replace him tonight.

It was almost daylight outside. He should have been resting so he could find something to feed on later tonight but he couldn’t get Katie off his mind. He couldn’t explain it. A human was his soulmate? How could that happen? He was meant to feed on her blood, not give her his own to survive.

He had originally gone over to join Vitruvius and his gang but somehow, he couldn’t see her harmed. As soon as he laid eyes on her, her name screamed in his thoughts. He knew just by looking at her that she was Katie. He didn’t know how because he’d never seen her before but he did.

His mind had been so confused yet his actions made it look like he cared about her. I don’t! She’s a human. He’s a vampire. That basically meant she was supposed to be his next meal.

Even though he promised her he would kill her, he somehow knew he wouldn’t be able to hurt her. Once again, his mind was thinking like a beast while his actions wouldn’t go through with his plans.

He’d seen this before. An old friend of his was in a similar situation once but as good of a friend he is, he killed the girl to free him from the trance. Of course, Zander had to kill his friend afterwards because he freaked out and tried to kill him.

Ungrateful bastard. Zander scoffed and kicked the leather stool. It toppled over to its side and rolling his eyes at his anger, he picked it up and put it where it belonged. I would love to have someone like me around.

A faint clatter outside the door took his attention away from his thoughts. He kept his movement quiet as he sat down in the old, obviously out-dated, leather chair. He didn’t know what it was about the high backing of the seat but it seemed to intimidate his visitors more. He loved watching them squirm.

Zander doubted it was anyone other than another vampire with the time of day it was. The sun wasn’t out yet so it left deep shadows everywhere, allowing the creatures of the night to travel. He preferred to stay in unless it was completely dark outside. It was too undignified for him to be seen skulking in shadows. He owned this town and he would walk down the streets without fear of something as petty as the sun.

He crossed his legs and slouched his figure a little, making himself look not amused. That was another way to make others uneasy around him. He just made himself look serious and he was sure to get the best results as quickly as possible. The others knew what happens to people that don’t please him.

Let’s just say, they get a little sunburned…if they’re lucky.

A sharp pain coursed through him, which made him double over. Before he could fully realize that he was in pain, an image flew into his mind.

Katie’s parents were standing over her as she sat on the couch, clearly in agony. Her Father raised his hand as if he was going to backhand her across the face. Her cool attitude changed suddenly and she grabbed his arm, twisting it behind his back. His face was wrenched in pain. Her lips were moving now and she pushed him away from her before taking off.

He could feel her pain. He felt it flow through the image into his own mind and he sat there, holding his own head in his hands. The pain was so intense. It felt like his head was about to explode from the steady pain. It felt like a knife was being thrust in his head over and over again.

What is going on? He groaned in pain.

Finally, it subsided a little and he could regain his composure as the metal door creaked open on its rusted hinges. A strong throb still coursed through his head but he could at least see the small figure of Rawn come in, obviously cowering in his presence.

His haphazard appearance of loose trousers and a sweatshirt were not acceptable. Zander had noticed his small acts of disrespect towards him and it was time to put an end to them. He was even wearing his ball cap backwards as if he owned the place! He may have seemed scared of him but his dress told him otherwise.

“Zander. I have news that does not bode well for us.” Rawn kept his eyes away from his own and he chuckled. He could tell that when Rawn heard the sound, he instantly tensed. He tended to chuckle before punishing someone.

“Rawn, tell me how is it that you find this acceptable.” Zander gestured towards his clothes. The man looked around nervously and straightened the wrinkles in his sweatshirt almost self-consciously.

“I-I don’t, sir. I’m real sorry. I have news that I thought might excuse my dress.” His stutter was quite annoying.

“Really? I don’t think I got where I am because I let scums, like yourself, tell me what is excusable and what isn’t,” Zander walked towards him slowly as he continued, “I am willing to let you go on this one only because you know something. Spill it before I change my mind.”

He stopped walking and sat on the edge of the wooden table, his leg extended to the ground. Crossing his arms, he looked at Rawn. A warning.

“Thank you, Zander. I came to tell you that a Child of Night has made her way to town. She up and killed Victoria last night when she was pulling her usual stunt on the highway. I hear she ain’t that old but apparently she’s a feisty one,” he stopped and paused before adding thoughtfully, “I guess she’d have to be to take down that old bird.”

“Really? Well, this is rather alarming but I’m sure we’ll snuff her out just like the rest of them. We may lose some but in reality, I don’t really care.” Zander sat there and he puckered his lips thoughtfully. Be generous or no?

No.

In one swift movement, Zander broke off a steel pipe from the wall and drove it through Rawn’s shoulder. The man screamed in pain and whimpered, clearly scared. His eyes were wide and his teeth threatened to come out but he somehow managed to keep them in. It wouldn’t due to challenge the vampire that owned this town.

“Next time, dress better.” He twisted the metal piece roughly before ripping it back out of Rawn’s flesh. He smiled as he watched the man hurry out of the warehouse with a quick reassurance that it wouldn’t happen again. Zander was quite positive he meant it too. It really wouldn’t happen again. The game was about to start. Daylight may have been coming but he was sure there was time for one last hunt.

Vampire wasn’t as good as human but he loved the adrenaline from the chase. Rawn seemed feisty enough if he was faced with a life or death situation. This would most definitely be a good adrenaline rush. It was like a drug.

Zander grinned, letting his fangs come out to their full two inches. Running his tongue across his teeth, he decided he’d given Rawn a good enough head start. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 221
Reviews: 37

Donate
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 pm
View Likes
Raelyn wrote a review...



There was some initial confusion, on who was narrating, but I figured it out. So is this going to be in 3rd person every time that Katie isn't narrating? I like this tactic. It is very original. I really liked this chapter. you have introduced a new type of character with Saige, she is a paranormal creature hunter is what I have gathered.

"He had originally gone over to join Vitruvius and his gang but somehow, he couldn’t see her harmed. As soon as he laid eyes on her, her name screamed in his thoughts. He knew just by looking at her that she was Katie. He didn’t know how because he’d never seen her before but he did." I really like this because it sends you back to the first chapter and adds a deeper description. You chose a unique way to go about the soul mate bond, I like how he is baffled and mad and she just thinks she is crazy.

here you wrote; "Her Father raised his hand as if he was going to backhand her across the face. Her cool attitude changed suddenly and she grabbed his arm, twisting it behind his back"
this was super confusing to me. Is her dad normal abusive? Why did she chose to react in this way?




Honora says...


Hey Raelyn! I will have to make it a bit clearer on who was talking. And yes, it will be in third persons when it isn%u2019t in Katie%u2019s point of view.
Lol this may sound mean but I am glad that the abuse/reaction thing confused you lol. It is supposed to make you confused and then it all gets explained in the next chapter. If I remember correctly anyways XD
Thanks again for the review!



Raelyn says...


it only confused me because I was wondering if zander was compulsing her to fight her dad.



Honora says...


Lol no. It was supposed to be a kind of image that just popped into his head. I should edit that maybe and make it more clear on that :D



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 1887
Reviews: 17

Donate
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:23 am
View Likes
Flyingsquirrel42 wrote a review...



A few grammatical errors, but otherwise just as good as your other works! The characters' thoughts are realistic and they're all becoming distinct from each other and interesting, which I love.

One problem:

She can’t have any friends because if she does, they are all in danger.
The tense changes here; it should be "She couldn't have any friends because if she did, they would all be in danger."

Keep going!




Honora says...


Oops! :)
Thanks for the review! I really appreciate it!



User avatar
140 Reviews


Points: 249
Reviews: 140

Donate
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:58 am
Anma says...



Hello Honora!

This is good!

At first i kind of got confused who was talking and everything. But i figured it out, maybe you can take that as a suggestion. Try to make it clearer about whos talking in the story.

Continuing...

This is good! I really love what your putting into this!
Its fairly interesting, and i would love to know more about the girl. Also I'm just making sure if your still on tract. Is he still going to try and kill his soul mate?
Make sure not to get too off track, but the way your headed is perfect.

There is a few grammar, and punctuation errors!
Watch out for that! there not to big of a deal though!

Anyways i really enjoyed the read!

Keep up the good work!

Hope to read more of it!

Sincerely Anma




Honora says...


Thank you for the review!!!! I appreciate your steady reading and reviews! I will try to make it more clear about who is talking and watch out more carefully on my grammar. :D



Anma says...


kkk, :) no problem!



User avatar
140 Reviews


Points: 249
Reviews: 140

Donate
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:58 am
Anma wrote a review...



Hello Honora!

This is good!

At first i kind of got confused who was talking and everything. But i figured it out, maybe you can take that as a suggestion. Try to make it clearer about whos talking in the story.

Continuing...

This is good! I really love what your putting into this!
Its fairly interesting, and i would love to know more about the girl. Also I'm just making sure if your still on tract. Is he still going to try and kill his soul mate?
Make sure not to get too off track, but the way your headed is perfect.

There is a few grammar, and punctuation errors!
Watch out for that! there not to big of a deal though!

Anyways i really enjoyed the read!

Keep up the good work!

Hope to read more of it!

Sincerely Anma





There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley