z

Young Writers Society



They Have to be Wrong

by Gravity


She lays there, on the bathroom floor, her hair fanning around her face to rest on the grimy tile. Tears soil her face and her face is red and blotchy. She sobs quietly inside the stall, her life falling to pieces before her eyes. She is shattering, falling, tumbling down with a clamor. If she breaks and nobody chooses to hear it, does it still make a sound?

No one can hear her. Her body is a corpse. Folded up, motionless. Her will to live is almost gone. Her eyes are staring in front of her, wide open. Not really looking, and not really seeing, only blinking occasionally. The eyes that were once fiery, warm and full of passion are now brown pits of despair. The scars she never had the courage to make on her wrist now mar her spirit and slaughter her soul. The immortal voices of disappointment and discouragement echoes in her ears. She tries to block it out, listening to music that reverberates with broken promises. But just like with every other thing in her life, she fails.

The world keeps turning with the happiness that she rarely knows. The Earth and most of the people on it are wicked, corrupted by manipulation, lies and greed. By apathy for others. When she's in class or walking in the halls, she listens to the problems of whiny little girls. Girls who couldn't even begin to understand the torment she goes through everyday. She watches plastic smiles and painted faces in the twisted circus of life. The circus where hers is a balancing act, and she is so close to free falling. 

Everyday she tries to hold it together and everyday she goes home feeling the sagging weight of depression on her shoulders. She's no good, doesn't matter. The deathless words  and immortal taunts will haunt her forever. She will forever remember how she was bullied as a young girl, taken advantage of as a teenager and ignored as a young woman. Every time she feels she has room to breathe, the burden crushes her lungs, suffocating her and destroying any chance she had of happiness. 

But as she lays on the bathroom floor, all this running through her mind, she has to think that the world is wrong and cruel. That just because everybody says or thinks something doesn't mean it's true. She has to think that she will do herself proud, even if her parents' attention is focused elsewhere. She has to disregard the part of her that is broken and she has to try to put the pieces together. She has to believe that they were wrong about her.

Because if they weren't, what does she have left to live for?

And ever so slowly, she sits up, giving herself another chance. She realizes that nobody can make it better. She has to make it better for herself.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 278
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sat May 30, 2015 6:11 pm
viclemore wrote a review...



Hey, Victoria from Norway here with a review! (sorry for possibly bad English)

I'm impressed, really. I've read alot of similar text earlier, but all from the girl/guy's perspective. But the way you describe it from a different perspective, makes the story even more beautiful. I got to be hones with you. In the start I expected her to kill herself, so I love the fact that she didn't. It's inspirational for anybody suffering from sadness or depression.

You're using the word depression once in this text. But is it necessary to use it more? No, because you don't have to. And I love the fact that you don't write the reason for this. It makes the story easier to relate to, which I think it does for many people. You don't write why she's depressed, but as a reader why isn't to important. Especially in such a great written piece.

I don't know if this is personal for you. But if it is; it's going to be okay. And I'm here if you need it, really. Can't wait to read more of your work.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 382
Reviews: 17

Donate
Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:54 pm
Bambi says...



I really liked all of the emotion you put in this. It kinda makes you feel what your saying and i like that in anything i read. kinda puts you in the girls shoes. I do think you should put a little bit more detail in why she feels like this, like maybe what they say to her or something huge that might have happened to make her feel so lost. You also kinda jump around with going back and forth between things. From how she feels to what she thinks then how she feels again. I think maybe put more detail in how she feels and start a new paragraph. Another idea is just have a better transaction between them, make it smother. Besides that i think this was amazing! I look forward to your next peace!
~Bam




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:19 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



First, I would like to say that I like the way this ends. From the beginning, the story sounds like it can only have one outcome: suicide. I like that it ended, instead, with the character deciding to get up and get through another day...BUT you did it realistically, in that she isn't just suddenly sunshine and daisies. It's a realization, and not even a determination never to get to this point again. Rather, it's a realization that she is the only one who can improve her situation, and that perhaps people are not right when they talk about how hopeless the world is and how terrible people are.

I just really like that this ends on a hopeful note, but without being unrealistic or overcorrecting for the depression of the rest of the story.

What I'd like to see from this now is to see it expanded on. Interspersed with scenes. For example, you mention that she listens to "the whiny little girls," but what are they whining about? Who are they? What do they think of her? Do they notice her at all? Breaking up her thoughts with flashbacks to the things she's thinking about will make the story more interesting and closer--we'll feel more for the character because we'll really see the things she goes through, or even just the things she notices in daily life that cause her despair.

So I'd suggest revisiting it and seeing which parts you can flesh out. Of course, it'll necessarily change the narrative structure, because her thoughts can't flow directly into each other like they do now if you're breaking them up with scenes, but I think it'll make this stronger in the long run.

Blue




User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 2348
Reviews: 94

Donate
Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:36 pm
View Likes
Satira wrote a review...



Hi, Grav! Satira here for a review!
I think you have a natural sense of pacing, which is definitely a gift- You know where to move a story along, and when to pause and think a little. The things that stood out to me were several misplaced words...
Often, synonyms aren't exactly synonyms- The reason that they're completely different words is because they evolved from different stems. So, more often than not, you can't actually look up a word in a thesaurus, point to any random synonym, and replace the former with the latter.
Like, for example, you describe how a girl's face is 'soiled with tears'. This isn't strictly speaking wrong, but the word 'soiled' generally means 'dirty' or 'ruined'- usually by something messy, like mud or oil or spilled food. So while your phrase isn't exactly 'illegal,' grammatically, it's not as smooth a word as 'stained' or streaked [with tears].
It's so hard to figure out which words work best, and I don't blame you at all. Writing is hard.
I also want to know why this girl is different from other depressed people- Why she feels so sad and lonely, and heavy, and burdened all the time. Of course, there doesn't have to be a reason- Depression can often be triggered simply by genetics and a couple of bad days- But if there isn't one, EXPLAIN that there isn't one. Give your girl(is it you? Something tells me it's at least based on you...) some character. Make the depression relatable.
I need you to to expand the last 2 lines a lot. This epiphany of self-fulfillment doesn't just HAPPEN in 2 lines. And if it does, it's a very complicated fast process. Something snapped inside this girl that made her realize that she needs to make her own world better. And I want to know what that was.
So, that's about it for me :) I hope you found this helpful...I'm sorry you |had/'re having| a bad day; I get those too.
keep writing!
~Sat





they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11