Crucifix

by Gravity

I walk out, and the sun blinds me. I blink and let my eyes adjust to the light. There is a large crowd being held back by Roman soldiers. They are fierce, tough, and strong. I know my father will protect me.

A soldier walks up to me and smirks while he places a crown of thorns on my head. My hair and my beard are thick, but the thorns are tight around my skull and cut into my flesh. I can already feel droplets of blood forming around the crown of my head. All the soldiers smirk and jeer at me. This is when their fun begins.

Most of them have whips. Others sport various other torture devices that are meant for me. I know I will die for their sins, it's a shame they won't at least accept me as their savior. My father told me it would be like this. He also said that my death wouldn't be the end of everything. So I am not afraid.

The first lash comes and stings my skin. I try not to flinch. I am dressed with only a loin cloth around my waist. The soldiers close in on me and whip my back and my chest. The crowd jeers, many cry. My mother, Mary, tries to mop up my blood with blankets. Each flick of the soldiers wrists brings more pain. Tears run down my cheeks, but I'm not sobbing. The worst is yet to come.

A soldier pulls out a whip like weapon, except it is made of metal and has something like a claw at the end. A single flick of his wrist, and the claw is embedded into my skin. He yanks, and my skin goes with it. This time, I scream in pain. I don't know how much longer I can take this. I don't doubt my heavenly father. I lift my eyes to the sky, and pray. Another lash of the soldier's metal claw device makes me cry out again.

This goes on for an hour. Maybe two. The pain is so great, it's difficult for me to keep track of time. A few of the soldiers bring out a big wooden cross. I want to smile. No wooden structure can be larger than God, my father. He will protect me. The soldiers push the wooden cross at my back. It falls to the ground. I slowly bend down to pick it up. I can think of no way to easily drag the cross, so I hoist it over my back.

A Roman soldier hits me in the jaw. I drop the cross to the ground. At least they will torture me with their bare hands rather than instruments of pain and suffering. They hit my in the face and the stomach until I am almost kneeling.

"Kneel." They yell and laugh. I will not do it.

"Kneel! Bow down to our ruler!" They shout. They get more angry. I will not kneel. I feel my knees go rigid, and I feel stronger. I silently thank The Father. I let the soldiers hit me and beat me up. I make no move against them. This is in God's plan for me. I will carry it out.

Mary kneels at my feet. She cries and begs the soldiers to stop hurting me. The cross lays in the dirt. I pick it up when the soldiers have had their fun, and I walk.

Every part of me is bleeding and screaming in agony. I taste blood in my mouth, Blood rolls down in drops from my forehead and clouds my vision. My hands sting, and I can feel the rough wood creating splinters in my arms. With each step, I want to collapse. I look at my feet and concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other. I send another prayer to the heavens. During this whole time, I talk to God. I know he can hear me, and my prayers will be answered.

My loincloth still covers my modesty, but it is stained almost totally red with blood. The hardest part of this is seeing Mary shed tears over my pain. She mops up my blood as I walk.

I think of when I was twelve. I remember that my family and I had gone to Jerusalem for Passover. I did not return with my family, but stayed behind in one of my father's temples with other teachers. Mary and Joseph had been so frantic. I am careful to not let my lips curl up in a smile. Despite the intense pain, I am glad I can remember good things from when I was happy.

Eventually, we are there. The land is sandy and rocky with clumps of dirt and mud. Crosses with criminals and thieves on them span out across the land. I will be nailed by my hands and my feet, just like a common criminal. I am no criminal. I am the son of God. I am Jesus.

The soldiers secure my cross into the ground. My right hand is placed palm out on one side. A soldier holds a rusty and bloody nail to my hand. He places a mallet gently against the head of it, then swings his arm back. He pounds the mallet into the nail. I cry out. The nail is slightly dull, so it doesn't go clean through. As the nail pierces my bone, I want to scream. Instead, I bite my lip until it bleeds.

Finally, the nail goes through to the wooden cross. The soldier nails my other hand, and my feet as well. Each bang of the mallet against my hand hurts more than the last. My feet are worse. They were already raw and bleeding from the long walk with the cross on my back.

Finally, it's over. Eventually the crowd melts away. In the distance, I can see people praying. I notice that Mary isn't there. She is probably still back at the path, mopping up my blood and sobbing. The sun beats down on me. My hands and my feet burn and flames of pain burn through my limbs. I look to the people next to me.

On my right, is a thief. His ribs are prominent through his skin. He wears a loin cloth similar to mine. I can see tears running down his face. He turns to me.

"Forgive me Jesus. I did not know God before this instance. Is it too late to repent for my ignorance and my sins?" I am relieved. This, I can do. I can absolutely save this man from going to hell.

"As you have asked me, you are saved. Devote the rest of your life to God, the Father, and he will accept you into heaven. Although you are a thief, if you are truly sorry for what you have done, God will accept you as a part of his family." I can see now the man's tears are tears of pain and joy. I have saved him and he knows this. I turn to the murderer on my left. He confesses to what he has done, and begs for passage into heaven. I tell him the same thing.

After a few hours, my tongue is dry. I have no more tears to cry, so I begin to pray with my dry and broken voice. The thief and the murderer are dead. I know I will soon be dead with them.

Judging by the angle of the sun in the sky, it has been 4 hours. The hours seem like an eternity. I am ready. I know that what will come next will change history forever.

It has now been over 5 hours. The pain is unbearable. It has been unbearable for the entire day. The sun beats down on my face, and the thorns on the crown upon my head still pierce my skill. I look down at my legs, and over at my arms. My skin is so filthy, it looks like my skin is made of dried blood and scabs. I watch the sun recede, my vision is going dark. It's over. My pain is finally over.

When I awake, I am cold. I am wrapped in bandages, like a mummy. I can't see my hand in front of me. The pain is gone. My wounds are quickly healing. I push myself to my feet and wince. I am a little stiff, but it's not too bad. I take tentative steps forward with my hands in front of me. I push my hands against whatever I touch. I move along the wall, and I feel the stone give. I push and shove with all of my might until the stone rolls away.

The sunlight touches my skin once again. Except this time, the sun is almost hugging me. I feel enveloped in warmth. I hear My Father in my head.

My son, you have done well. After 40 days and 40 nights, we will be together again. Now go to the people, rejoice. Show them that death cannot conquer the Lord.

As I walk to follow My Father's order, I close my eyes and hold my arms out to the sun.

I am free.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Messenger says...

wow, that edited ending was really good!

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:46 am
PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...

Wow... This is amazing!! First off, I am a Christian as well, and it was encouraging to see this kind of story on here. I LOVE the way you wrote this. I don't think I've ever read anything about Christ written in first person form. Very interesting. A few comments, tho. As far as technicality. I think sometimes this was a little bit choppy, and the sentences just didn't flow quite well. For content: In some places, like in the part where Jesus thinks to himself: "I am the the son of God." That just doesn't seem like Christ to me. It kinda sounds cocky and arrogant, and as we know, Christ was perfect. Just my opinion tho. Also, you talk about him crying out in pain and thinking how much things hurt. I truly believe that Jesus didn't think about or feel the physical pain, that he was more hurt by God turning away from him. Again, that's just my opinion tho. Overall, wonderful job!! Keep writing, this was very encouraging.

Thank you. As for your opinions, I beg to differ. As far as not feeling pain, that's not true. Jesus Christ was human and therefore felt pain. It's written in the bible. Also, Jesus never sinned. Turning away from God is a sin. Jesus knew that his father wasn't abandoning him because he was perfect. A perfect person truly knows that God never leaves and everything we do, or everything that happens to us is in God's plan. I don't believe Jesus knew exactly what was going to happen, but he knew that he was a part of a higher plan.

PeanutPhoebe says...

Well, I disagree with you there. What I meant was that Christ did not worry at all about the pain, even if he did feel it. Also, as for Christ not knowing exactly what he was meant for, just that he was part of a higher plan, I disagree again. As part of the trinity, Christ is God, who knows everything, and he certainly knew what he came to earth for. Please do not take my opinions the wrong way, these are simply my opinions and what I have believed all my life. Thanks for your reply!!

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:47 pm
Ribazuba wrote a review...

I love this! Well obviously not that Jesus had to die for us but that he was willing to do it because he loved us. Plus you talked about the pain he was in, sometimes I think that gets forgotten. Just a grammar note, the numbers should be spelled out unless its a huge number. I also liked how to tone changes from the crucifixion (dark/sad) to the resurrection (calmer and more happy) I also liked the "I am free" at the end. It made me think of the song "I am broken I am free I am living for eternity, free now forever!"

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 pm
Messenger wrote a review...

The MEssenger Knight here to review for KotGR.
First off I'm a Christian, so I was happy to see this.

Marry kneels at my feet. She cries and begs the soldiers to stop hurting me.

Should be Mary.

Despite the intense pain, I am glad I can remember good things from when I was happy.

Obviously this was a difficult time for Jesus, but I think this sentence makes it sound almost as if he is longing for a happy time, and angry at what is happening now.

I look to the guys next to me.

I think for this style of writing "guys" is the wrong word. Maybe men would work better?:)

I can see now the man's tears are tears of pain and joy. I have saved him and he knows this. I turn to the murderer on my left. He confesses to what he has done, and begs for passage into heaven. I tell him the same thing.

First off, the bold line is really cool. It's interesting to think of it in that way, of Jesus saving us. but the second criminal did not repent of his sins. He mocked Jesus and a raven pecked out his eyes.

I think your ending was a bit . . . I don't know how to say it. I think maybe you should re-read it and see if you could make it seem more glorious?

Overall I was happy to read this,and it's a good reminder to me. I thought you did a good job, and although you didn't go into nearly as much detail as you could've it was very well done, and I know readers can understand the pain.
Keep it up!

Thank you. I was aware that the second man didn't repent. I just thought that would kill the moment a little bit. I also couldn't figure out how Jesus would react to that. It just seemed.... wrong.

TheMessenger says...

Well I think that whether it killed the moment or not, it's important to have it written correctly. I believe that Jesus would've been very gracious and in no way mad at the sinner.

I don't want to sound like a copy-cat, but would you mind if I wrote the Crucifixion myself. It would probably be pretty graphic and rated high. I just want to let you know, and not make it look like I'm trying to copy you. A lot of times when I see something like this I like to challenge myself and try to do it better, or different.

Well, I actually kinda would mind. It's an original idea that I came up with myself. You're free to write it without posting it. I just want to keep this as my own.

TheMessenger says...

Well if I did write it I probably would post it, and it wouldn't be the same as yours. I wouldn't write it in first-person for one thing.

okay. then that's fine

TheMessenger says...

ok, just didn't want it to look like I am trying to steal your work. Also, I would put an authors note telling why i wrote it, and what it was inspired by.:)

Cool. Thanks.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:43 pm
Dragon99 says...

I love how you spun a new twist into the old story of Jesus being crucified. I enjoy hearing this from Jesus' perspective. I'm not even catholic! You should try this with other stories of the bible like Moses because this is very intriguing.

Oh wow. Thanks that really means a lot :)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:43 pm
Saucebox says...

Wow, this is really a touching story. You have a lot of talent. It's nice to see that you aren't ashamed of your religion. Witch is rare these days. Sad but true. Thank you for sharing this story. I would really like to see more in the future! Again, thank you.

Absolutely. The bible says that I must do what I can to tell people about Jesus and spread his word. I'm glad you liked this. I was wondering if you are christian/accepted Jesus as the Messiah? Thank you for telling me I have a lot of talent. It makes me so happy to hear that the best work I have done so far has been through Christ. I appreciate your comment SO much! :)

TheMessenger says...

I believe if you are a Christian and a talented writer, gifted by God, then you will be blessed in your work.

Shady's wall is now the Randomosity forum in a nut shell
— alliyah