12+

Five Essential Souls (No. 3)

by DoubleOJell0

********************************************

Meanwhile, in a top-secret facility....

"Government! The victim has escaped, and killed the officials... and the gadget is no-where to be found!".

"Impossible!" cried the government "Are you playing a trick on me, agent?!" he gave the agent a nasty look "I can seriously fire you!".

"Sir, I can never lie!" begged the agent. 

"What I say is the truth..."

"I will need a meeting after this, in just an hour, the top officers...." the government demanded.

****************************************************

Now back to the main character, who was in a cave, living off mosses from the walls, hidden...

"Now, lemme see...what is the best possible way that I can die?" Ring thought "Gun, drown, fire or bridge?".

Ring thought hard, half of his brain was trying to find ways of suicide and the other kept telling that he should keep his life. This went on for about 5 minutes...

The first half of his brain was like:

"Maybe I should die..."

"I should write a suicide note right now..."

And the other half of the brain was like:

"Dude, keep your life, keep your swag!"

But it was really hard, my brain just kept going back and forth with thoughts... a billion thoughts....

However, right when I heard a noise, echoing the rocky, spacious cave, I ran for it, I knew the government officials have been looking for me. I heard a bunch of weird noises, rocks shifting and and some grunting. I just kept running the other way, even farther from the entrance, and there was barely any light to see anything... just some openings in the roof of the cave. The moss I have been eating gave me a couple of stomachaches, so I didn't run as well. After about a minute, however, I decided to stop, I couldn't hear anything , and there was no light to see anything.That was, however, when I heard a booming voice.

"Where are YOU?!" shouted the booming voice "We KNOW you're HERE, RING!".

I simply gulped, it was too dark to continue running, and I couldn't find the thingy-ringy-annoying-thingy. It seemed like there nothing I could do, and for a second, that seemed very true... I was wrong, however... 

"SHOW YOURSELF!" the same voice said.

"YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY KILLED YOURSELF, RING!".

The entire time, my hand was digging on my pocket, and when I felt that round shape again, my face formed a smile... no I wasn't planning to kill them... but I could threaten them to... I could get away from it... and kill myself instead...would be a lot better....

"WHAT WOULD YOUR LAST WORDS BE, RING!?" asked the voice again "WE HAVE GUNS AND WEAPONS...THERE'S NO ESCAPE!... NONE AT ALL!".

My smile grew even bigger.

"I'm going to kill them, instead..." I whispered.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:56 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm here for a quick review on this.

So, I like that you're going for humor with this. I love books like this that are funny and audacious - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorites - and I appreciate that you've tried to do something similar here.

However, the humor didn't quite work for me. Humor is best when it's fresh, and the idea of the brain arguing with itself, while amusing, isn't exactly fresh. But still, the problem isn't so much with the idea as it is with the execution. Old jokes can still be funny if told in a new way.

No, the real problem for me, the place where it falls down the most, is that it feels too over-the-top. Caps are really not necessary here, for one thing. It makes it feel forced and nonsensical. The style also lacks subtlety. Often, the thing that makes humor great is that all the funny parts are told in this subtle, slightly sardonic voice. It makes it not so obvious that everything is one big joke, and in general things are funnier when they're subtle.

One of the other big issues is that you switch viewpoints in the middle of the chapter. You go from third person omniscient, with Ring, to first person, inside Ring's head. This is a major issue in any genre of writing - you do not head hop. It's immensely confusing and is considered lazy writing.

Also, first person often just doesn't work as well for humor, again because of subtlety. Having the character crack jokes inside is own head is often not realistic. Instead, third person omniscient is often used, because, although difficult, that all-seeing eye can more easily tell the story and make subtle observations and the like that are funny. Again, see Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for great examples of this.

Anyway, that's all I've got for you! I hope this helped, and I wish you luck with your future writing endeavors!

Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:38 am
Steggy wrote a review...

Stegosaurus here for a review!

At first, this piece grabbed my attention as humorous and light-hearted, despite it being, on purpose, grammatically and punctuationally, incorrect. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this piece as well as the certain characters that piece it together to make it such a fun-loving piece. The beginning is gripping as well as the continuous plot line (that I think you have). You also seem to be counting down the number of words before the end (and hopefully it make the novel last with the amount of words given). For separating the paragraphs, you use asterisks and for some people, it can annoy their vision and make it harder for them to focus (like myself.) All they will try to focus on is the line of asterisks and not read the rest of your chapter. What I suggest is simply use a line or combine the whole paragraph into one chapter-- as the most you have, is just random words that go towards the plot.

"SHOW YOURSELF!" the same voice said.

This is a pet peeve of mine. You should use caps when you are emphasising something or someone. Here, it seems they are yelling. This could explain the proper way of using caps How To Use Caps The Right Way. It explains that caps are used for explaining the things important and can be used to make a sign/gesture that someone is yelling. However, it is not knowing that you use them when someone yells all the time. Once in awhile, will do.
Also the dialogue seems kinda.. unrealistic, which in this term of writing, is good. However, when writing talking parts, try to picture the voice in your head and the character speaking that line-- when you do this, you can make the reader imagine them also.

However, right when I heard a noise, echoing the rocky, spacious cave, I ran for it, I knew the government officials have been looking for me. I heard a bunch of weird noises, rocks shifting and and some grunting. I just kept running the other way, even farther from the entrance, and there was barely any light to see anything... just some openings in the roof of the cave.

Now from this, I can tell this is the climax. It just doesn't bring up the suspense when I read it; I want to feel the suspense of it.

Improve your plot/climax << this link helped me improve most of my writing today and I'm sure can help you.

The first half of his brain was like:

"Maybe I should die..."

"Dude, keep your life, keep your swag!"

I have to admit. This part was funny.

Overall, this was a lovely piece. It needs some work but I'm sure by the end of it, this work will be good.

If you like me to go over anything, let me know!

Steggy

DoubleOJell0 says...

Thanks

she slept with wolves without fear, for the wolves knew there was a lion among them.
— r.m. drake