Home » Literary works » Other » Other

What is Love?

by DeliriumNervosa

Love isn't something easy to throw away. It sticks to you like the strongest of glue.

Love isn't something to take lightly. It weighs a tonne, like carrying a bag of bricks on your shoulders. 

Love isn't something to be hidden. It is to be celebrated, shared and exulted in. 

Love isn't lies. It's looking your partner in the eye and telling them the truth even though you know it has the capacity to destroy them. 

Love isn't keeping your options open. It's committing to one person and promising to do your best every day to make them sure they are the only one you see. 

Love isn't settling. It is seeing the worst in people and deciding to stay despite this. 

Love isn't easy. It is one of the hardest things you will ever experience and, you experience it more than once. 

Love is a precious thing. It is like your grandmas bone china tea set. 

Love is two people cherishing one another. It is happiness and joy even in the harshest of times because you know the strength of your partner and the strength of your love for each other. 

Love is caring. It is a self-less act, putting someone else's needs above your own. 

Love is special. It is one of the rarest things to find- especially when it is the real, long- term thing. 

Love is honest. It is the purest and untainted thing left in this polluted world. 

Love is true. It does not discriminate. 

Love is a bond. It connects to people on a deep level, their souls intertwined together. 

I think about what isn't love. I think about what love is. I ask myself why we put ourselves through all this for just one feeling. Then I remember that feeling. I remember that love has lasted longer than any war. Love has conquered many things. So I will keep pondering what love is and what love isn't. I will continue until the day I have the chance to experience this magic myself. 

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:55 pm
mckaylaam wrote a review...

Hi there! I'm here for a quick review of your work, which immediately caught my eye because of the title. Let's jump right in!

There are a few small things I'd recommend changing that were already mentioned by AngelLily below in their review, such as "tonne" and "grandmas", so I won't comment on that again. I noticed that you put a comma after the "and" when you wrote "It is one of the hardest things you will ever experience and, you..", so I'd personally move the comma to be after "experience" instead. Also, I'd change "self-less" to "selfless", changing the dash after "rarest things to find" to a comma, and then close the gap you have between "long-" and "term".

Also, this might just be the nitpicky part of me, but in your last paragraph I'd change "I think about what isn't love" to say "what love isn't", just so it matches your second sentence "I think about what love is". This isn't necessary though, I just feel that it would make it flow a little bit easier.

Your last sentence was my favorite, when you said you'd continue until you had the chance to experience the magic yourself. I've experience love before, and I can assure you that you've pretty much got all of the different aspects nailed down, which is what made this piece so good. I haven't had the best experiences, however, and when you were describing what love isn't, it made me wish that my exes would've read this. Overall, you did a great job - keep up the great work! :)

mckaylaam,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review my work. I will definitely go and fix those things up! I agree with the change in wording, it creates a clearer message.
I am very glad you were able to connect with my writing and that you enjoyed reading my piece!
Thanks again for the advice :)

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:34 pm
AngelLily wrote a review...

Hi! AngelLily with a review!
I really love your writing, they are always so good!
Okay, so I did see a few mistakes though.

Here: “It weighs a tonne” It should be “ton” not “tonne”

Also: “It is to be celebrated, shared and exulted in.” There should be a comma after “shared”.

Here: “It is like your grandmas bone China tea set.” It should be “grandma’s” not “grandmas” It is a possessive noun.

Other than that, I didn’t really see much.

Keep up the great work, and have a great day!
~AngelLily 😇

AngelLily,
Thank you so very much for the review! Oops some silly punctuation errors there! I will definitely fix that.

-Delirium

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
— Audrey Hepburn