z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Bike Ride

by Corvus


Think of waking up early on a Sunday morning, to the cool damp air, and suddenly deciding to go somewhere. Eating breakfast and packing a bag, with everything you need. Think of grabbing your bike and riding, going nowhere and looking for nothing in particular. Well, one is always going somewhere, it is merely a matter of whether or not you know where that place is. Riding with the sun on your back, watching the world go by, looking at all these people living their own little lives. Maybe some of them know each other; Maybe some of them know you. It can be hard to tell, with all the people you’ve met and then inevitably forgotten.

Just riding through the streets, finding things. Places you never knew about, things few people have seen and even less have truly appreciated. Maybe you curve off the roadway and glide into a forested park, looking at how wonderful and big the world actually is. It makes you feel so tiny, but why should that be bad? Just because you’re small you can’t make a “real” difference? Look at all the people you’ve made smile, isn't that real enough? Seven billion people in the world right now, and you get to be one of them. The past is comfortable and the future is full of potential, but you get to live in the present, where that potential is decided. The future is what you make of it, and you get to choose. How miraculous is that?

Perhaps your legs get tired, and you sit on a bench to eat some food, marveling at how alive everything is. The world around you swirling in a mystifying dance you will never know the steps to. Then again, no one ever does. We all just do what we think is right, our steps only making a dance when paired with everyone else's. You have a map, but you feel no need to use it as if to remain “unconnected”. Of course, you are always connected, no one is ever truly independent, it is not in our nature to be alone. In trying to disconnect, you only change the type of connection, this is one of the beautiful ironies of the world.

The sun is no longer high in the sky, and you find yourself retracing old paths. your mind is not quite there but not quite gone, hovering in that euphoric limbo of existential peace, Inhabiting a space of calm enlightenment. You find yourself riding down familiar streets, a sense of melancholy peace in flowing through your body. You are not in a hurry, there is no need to be. You cruise softly home, feeling happier then you have in a while, knowing the world will still be there, that you do not have to stray far to find yourself, and along the way, you can find so much more.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
659 Reviews


Points: 82352
Reviews: 659

Donate
Sun May 30, 2021 6:21 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...



Hello,

I don't have much to say except that I can relate to this on a whole different level. Because honestly, I cannot count how many times I have been that person on the bike, riding through streets, searching for some meaning in every little thing. It's a whole different kind of independence; that feeling of moving forward with each pedal, that knowledge that you can go anywhere you want, be anyone you want and the freedom to just pass along with the rest of the world and know that you were a fleeting impression in a stranger's life.

Sometimes, the smallest of things can leave an impact in your life. Perhaps it's the sight of a child holding his mother's fingers or the call of the ice cream vendor passing by, that reminds you of some long forgotten memory of your childhood and takes you back to happier times. You never know. You can never guess what it might be and where it might take you.

I will stop now, because I feel no need to explain more. You have connected people with your simple words, and you have given them something to relate to.

So well done. This was beautiful.




User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 1578
Reviews: 232

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:12 pm
LadyBug wrote a review...



Wesh! Jade here to review your short story. let's start!

I think you make the paragraphs too long, which results in a choppy flow and it's hard to read. I know this is an article, but it would help to make your paragraphs two to three sentences long.

For the words itself, I love it! I feel you worded it nicely and had my interest captured.

Keep writing and I can't wait to see more by you!

xJade




User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:36 pm
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hello, FlamingPhoenix here to drop by and leave a small review on this rainy day, and to help get your work out the green room.

Okay so I really love this, it can relate ti it quite a bit, because there was been many times were you just want to run and make things different, but what you have written here has told me to embrace what you have and make the most of it. Stop looking at the bad things and enjoy the good things in life, and I agree completely, and you are right, there is no point staying inside feeling down, when there are so any good things to do.
I think people who have a hard time with things like that, should read what you have written here, it pretty much tells you to live you life at the fullest. And I agree, and amazing work, there was not a single thing wrong here, and I loved every moment reading this. I hope you will write more amazing works, and post them on YWS soon. Have a great day or night ether one.

Your friend
FlamingPhoenix.
Reviewing with a fiery passion.





*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble