Home » Literary works » Lyrics » Lyrical

Part 2 (You don't know me at all)

by Carlito

I could sit across from you and your fake smile would light the room
We talk like a masquerade, your perfect mask hiding your real face
But now the light shines through and I am finally on to you

I know I’m not the girl you dreamed up in your head
But you pick and choose, assume the worst, ignore what’s all been said
If someone dares think different well of course it can’t be true
Because you always know the answers and know the perfect things to do

You don’t know me, know me, know me, know me at all
You don’t know me at all
You don’t know me at all

I could tell you the whole truth but you’d find something new to prove
You make up facts to build your case, you’re so focused on what you hate
But you don’t know what’s true and you won’t even see the proof

You can take your poison back, I don’t need your bitter reasons
I don’t want your old excuses or your outdated opinions
You can try your best to haunt me, but know that you won’t bring me down
Because I know who I am and what I will and won’t allow

You don’t know me at all
You don’t know me at all
You don’t know me at all
You don’t know me at all

You’re not my maker, my judge; no you can’t pull me under
You’re not my healer and power; no you can’t bring me under

You don’t know me at all
You don’t know me at all
You don’t know me at all
You don’t know me at all

EverLight wrote a review...

Please feel free to ignore mcey advice it is not intended to offend you hurt you demean you or your story in anyway, that said please brace yourself.

1. Word usage and repidition
Okay this is good but, I think you don't need to repeat you don't know me at all more then three or four times per paragraph. Okay so I an knew to reviewing liyrics but I have listened to alot of songs and none have ever repeated the main line more then a few times.

2. General
Forgive me for this but-your married aren't you? I think you could add in some sorrow into this, okay so we know that the writer is tired of bitterness but talk about his pain that his/her
s sorrow at the fact that he thinks all those nasty things.
Otherwise I think this is perfect. Amazing job!

Hi there Carlito! Niteowl here to write her 1100th review!

So first off, this song definitely got "You Don't Know Me" by Ben Folds and Regina Spektor in my head. But of course when I tried to Google it I got several different artists that have songs with that title. So I guess it's a really common sentiment. :P

Secondly, I think it is kind of hard to review lyrics without a sense of the music. Sometimes I can come up with a rhythm/tune in my head as I read, but I didn't in this case. Maybe that's because the lines in the verses are really long compared to the simple chorus. I imagine it works with the music, but it's kind of hard to read.

My favorite part of this is the bridge. It's simple and I can almost hear it building up with music to a final chorus.

I'm not so sure about the three line stanzas in each verse. The first one is interesting, setting up the scene. I also like the line "We talk like a masquerade". I just have trouble fitting it in with the rhythm of the rest of the piece. The four line stanzas still have long lines, but they flow better and the aabb rhyme scheme helps the structure.

The second three line stanza feels less interesting to me, but maybe it's a necessary setup to the narrator getting stronger in the next stanza. Also, "prove/proof" kind of feels like you're rhyming the same word with itself, which is something I personally try to avoid.

The chorus is pretty simple, which is cool, but I wonder if it's not a little overboard with the repetition. Like when I say the line out loud, repeating "know me" four times feels a little much.

Overall, I actually really like this. I feel like the song progresses well from someone who feels stifled by the other person to someone who's finding themselves and rejecting what the other person thinks of them. The long verses make a nice contrast with the simple chorus and bridge. Keep writing! :D

KaiGaiBo says...

im sorry if this isnt helpful, but i really like this. it conveys pain and healing in a more subtle way than most.
which i appreciate. hope to read more from you!

KaiGaiBo says...

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream