they tell me that writing is a form of art founded on rules

by Carina

herbalhour says...

hehe i am like 123 (love this)

Carina says...

lol glad u enjoyed my work from a decade ago

Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:03 pm
spottedpebble says...

Amazing!!!!!!!!! I can't put enough exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!

Carina says...

:) I'm glad you enjoyed!

fantasies says...

this is so cool omg

i love it

Carina says...

haha glad you enjoyed! I made this a long time ago really rushed and have been toying with the idea of remaking this... maybe someday *cue the irony*

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:22 pm
NewHope says...

This is so great!!!

Not at all happy to be number 111 to star.

Joke.

Carina says...

haha tank uu :') lucky number 111

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:15 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

Hey, Carina! It's Vilnius, here to review your poem! I've made it a personal goal of mine to review everything in the Top 100 of the Literary Spotlight, and you were next on my list!

They tell me that writing is a form of art founded on rules.

Well, in many ways, I think that one could argue that writing is based upon certain rules, depending on the circumstances. That's not the point of your poem, though, so ignore me and my overthinking on this matter! XD

LE GASP! YOU SPEAK OF UNDISCOVERED PLACES IN THE GREATEST, NOBLEST ART OF ALL?!?!?!?!?! YOU CHAOTIC CRIMINAL! BRING BACK THE ORDER!

Just joking of course! XD

Oooooo, that opening background that has color is so pretty! Combined with the change in font and style, it gives off a sense of fantasy (which I think was likely intended) and adds that much more beauty to it! I also love that there is a frowny face hidden under "RULES" in the "THERE ARE NO RULES HERE" segment, that made me chuckle out loud! XD

Oh, no, it was a dream! :((((( That's heartbreakingly sad, but totally realistic! We are discourgaed from bending or breaking the rules-- e.g. "don't color outside the lines"-- but when we take the chance to break them, a sort of magic happens, superceding everything else. I don't really have any criticism for this, but I want to say that I love this poem and the way that you've set this up. It's absolutely amazing and it 100000000% deserves to be in the spotlight forevermore! c: <3

Have a wonderful [*insert time of day here*]!!!

Carina says...

oh gosh haha this is so OLD but I appreciate the review!! good luck reviewing all the top pieces :,) and THANK U FOR UR KIND WORDS

Riverlight says...

<3<3<3<3

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:53 pm
yosh says...

#socialweek

my god the aesthetics of this poem was wonderful. the way you carefully led the reader through a broken-hearted poet's experience of rules and creativity was breathtaking. i enjoyed every single bit of this poem. how you slowly dissolved the dream-like trance of the first section to the very last sorrowful line was perfect. the imagery was very nice and the images were very nice. your theme was excellent and you have a very distinct and unique writing style. i don't want to say more cause this is a literary comment but you did a w e s o m e

and even if i wanted to review, i wouldn't have much to say.

after all, there are no rules here :)

Carina says...

AWWWWW YOSHI THIS IS SO SWEET THANK U ;-; <3

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:40 am
DrFeelGood says...

I am glad this got featured again. This is just breathtaking.

Carina says...

*late asgsgdhsj* aww such kind words <3

JoyDark wrote a review...

Holy crap. The way you embodied this... I at first saw just the words, and then the colors came, and I was floating... floating the pictures you painted, floating among the stars and watching ideas float through my fingertips, swirl around me, I was in your utopia... and then I woke up when you did, and I felt the crushing disappointment as you did...

Wow. Just wow. There is nothing more to say here. This is a piece that is art, one that lifts you up with its paintings and beauty and flow. I felt this. At the beginning, I was right there in your footsteps. As you went on the ride, so did I. When you woke up, so did I. When you expressed all of these beautiful things, I felt them, absorbed them into my heart and soul.

This was amazing. I want to say good job, but at the same time I feel as if that is inadequate for what you've put in front of us.

Carina says...

*late oops* aww thank you so much!! <33

Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:30 am
GirlWithATypewriter wrote a review...

Hey @Carina!
So I came here thinking I'll leave a review but then I read this and went "Forget that!!"
This is just a pure work of art!
I have to agree with @alliyah's assessment of this being an "experimental poem".
It really is, and you killed it!
I'm just going to have a little fan-girl moment because I was just mesmerized for the past four minutes and it was beautiful.
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. (That's a lot of redundancy but I just had to.)
When I started reading it, I thought, 'wow that is good' because all I could see was up to the word, "possibility" and then-
Oh My Gosh.
I think a part of good poetry is not just writing itself, but also the way you arrange it on paper. And by that, I don't just mean the font or style, etc. The structure that you built in itself was a big additive to the poem.
The words arranged in the form of a scissor, going across the sheet, and even the WORDS that you chose to be in that format made the poem so meaningful.
(I'm probably not making any sense right now, sorry :) )
And just as I thought that THAT was the most exciting part, I scrolled and Jesus!
It's like one of those gifts you open and the confetti just keeps coming and coming.
It was really beautiful. (Let's get a dollar for every time I've said 'beautiful' here, haha)
I usually tell the author what some of my favorite lines were but I cannot pick any particular ones in your poem because I loved it all!
I think this is one of the best poems I've across on the site, so KUDOS on that.
I love how you talk about breaking rules and pushing the limits and you do JUST THAT, and it's like suddenly you fall back into line, following the rules again. It's like you blew our minds for a second, showing us what you could do, and then just suddenly went back to being normal.
Overall, I loved this. This is probably the only review I've given where I've said so much and said nothing at all! Sorry about that.
XOXO

Carina says...

*very late lol* thank you so much for the review and the kind words <333

lelu says...

BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Carina says...

brooooooooooo

alliyah says...

@Carina just stopping by to say this poem is absolutely incredible. And is a great model for what experimental poetry can aspire to. I think this makes it into my list of favorite poems on the site.

Thank you for sharing your talent & art!

Carina says...

Awww, thank you! This means a lot. <3 I love that you called it "experimental poetry" - I've been calling it abstract poetry, but I think experimental suits it more. I have a few ideas, so I'll have to make more sometime!

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:11 am
wordwing says...

Wow...

Carina says...

:')
This is a bit of an older piece, and if you liked this piece, check out my first one: i wish to write, i wish to fish.
I've been playing with a new idea to make finish the last piece of this trilogy, so stay tuned. (...it may be a while, lol)

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:02 pm
TheShauzer says...

This is really cool. I agree that the limitations suck, but maybe some day imaginative rebels will prevail! ;)

Carina says...

Haha thanks!!

WritingWolf says...

This is amazing. I really can't think of anything else to say about it. It's awesome. :)

Carina says...

Thank you! <333 Glad you enjoyed it.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:55 pm
WeasleyDragonStar wrote a review...

I love this poem. I've had stories and poems criticized in class because they didn't follow the proper rules (punctuation, choice of words, etc.) or because they were too vague and abstract. Your poem and the pictures you chose describe exactly how writing, and art in general, should be. But I agree with Snoink on the font for "NO". It did remind me of a font for a sci-fi video game, and didn't seem to fit with the rest of the pictures or messages. Otherwise, nicely done.

Carina says...

Thanks for the review! <3

If art can be abstract, writing can be too, amiright?!

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:50 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Pretty!

My main review-like negative comment would be that I don't like the video game font that you used for "NO" because I think it's a bit too odd and not the proper font. (YES, I AM COMMENTING THAT YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE PART THAT TALKS ABOUT NO RULES. THE IRONY HITS ME TOO.) Still! I actually did like the abrupt ending.

I think one of my favorite parts about the pictures is how the picture loses its framing midway as soon as color explodes and then gains it back (gradually, with gradient) as the writer snaps back to reality. It's pretty cool.

My other comment is that your name is spelled wrong. But, I think you knew that and you're just taking artistic liberties here. :P

Carina says...

Hey now, Carina is a unique name in a world of K's!!!!!! :p

I actually didn't even realize it was a video game font until now. XD I just chose the rawest, crudest font I had, and it was that one. But now I can't stop thinking I'm about to embark on some viddy game quest to save the world.

Thanks for the review, CKarina!

Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:50 am
Snazzy says...

This is literally one of the best things I have read, and looked at. <3 Fabulous job. ;)

Carina says...

<333 Thank you!

SkyeWalker says...

I'm going to look at aaaalll your art now. ^_^

Carina says...

*flattered* x')
Though so far I only have this and another one I wrote last summer called "i wish to write, i wish to fish". I'm sure more will come when inspiration hits though. :) I'm thinking about making this a sort of trilogy that somewhat connect.

Reneia says...

I read that and then I read this and I'm honestly completely blown away. Both by the poem and the background. Did you edit that? I wish I could photo-edit like that DX

Carina says...

Thanks! <3
Yep, I edited this on Photoshop. I basically selected a bunch of open domain pictures then blended and overlayed them together. :)

Reneia says...

It looks amazing XD

All I can use is pixels because I have no clue how to photoshop ;-;

Carina says...

Haha, I try. XD
Well, you have to start somewhere, right? :) Tutorials are also super useful.

Reneia says...

Heh, that's true XD I should probably look into that!

Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:25 am
Glauke says...

Dang!! This is so cool!

Carina says...

Haha, thanks! <3

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:10 am
Firelight says...

I love this so much! Many emotions ran through me when I read this.....I just can't describe how amazing this is :)

Carina says...

Thank you! <3

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:56 pm
Pompadour wrote a review...

Yo, Carina.

I adore this; it's really pretty and the poem in itself is pretty--it's like a cool visual journey and it's one of those things I wouldn't mind taping on my wall and looking at, like, a lot. It also has this neat ... not storyline, but something of a vague arc? which gives everything this flow-of-consciousness feel.

In short, it's been formatted lovelily and I'm digging it. As a poem, I found it was rather similar to 'i wish to write', but it tackled writing quite differently. 'i wish to write' struck me as an author embarking on a quest to write, but without the necessary tools. This poem feels like a sequel to that journey, where the writer's found the tools and wishes to use them in a new and interesting way, but is constrained in their endeavour of doing so. It also ends on a somewhat-bitter note as opposed to the suppressed-hopeful ending of 'i wish to write' and it feels a bit ... incomplete.

You can tell I'm not over-ly fond of that ending. It was very abrupt, and I'd really have liked something subtler and less ... blatant? The ending seeks to /act/ like a crash-landing, like being startled awake, but it doesn't really succeed in that effort. It just ... stops. That's it. 'And then//I awoke in the real world' is very bland. You can do much better than this. I'd even have liked a simple: 'And then//I wake//up//withoutfailwithoutfail//dreams slipping through my fingers//again' because it would've illustrated (heh, 'illustrated') the confusion of being shaken awake from your dreams/an after-writing-like-crazy stupor. I don't know. I know the ending is meant to mimic the beginning, but the tone of quiet acceptance just isn't getting across. And that bothers me.

Most of the imagery you've used is pretty simple (but well-knit, too) and the poem relies more on its format than on utilising new mind-images to make a point--which is cool, don't get me wrong, but I feel like some parts could be stronger. 'smiling faces//and laughter//upon the tips of my fingers//and ink of my pen' is one of those parts. It's an awkward phrase and it barely skims the intensity of the written word. It's a very grounded statement for all the stellar hi-jinks writers get up to when they experiment--I want something more than overdone 'ink and tips of fingers' imagery. I want the same determined grit, the same short-but-sweetness that gives me chills, that gets across with 'the forbidden places'. Weed the cliché out. Give me more than fresh air and sun--give me breathing suns and wild imagination that actually comes into play. The two key tools in this poem (the images and the actual words themselves) should collate.

The part nearing the end 'THERE//ARE//NO//RULES//HERE' gets a bit difficult to read (especially when you reach 'here'). I think it's purposeful, but it also made my eyes hurt and felt like a bit too much. XD

Nothing more to say here, though I will reiterate how much I enjoyed this. Write moar!

Hope this helped somewhat.

~Pomp

Carina says...

Thanks so much for the honest review, Pomp! I pretty much agree with most of what you said, and can definitely see where you're coming from. :) I do admit I wrote this in two days: one day of writing, another day of putting it together, so I didn't put much time into this as I did in my other poem. XD oops

Thanks again!!

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:46 pm
Sevro wrote a review...

Ohhh, my lord, Carina. You took my breath away and ripped out my heart. With this poem, you you filled me with energy and the desire to rebel against everyone who has ever showed me the boundaries. I want to drag those people to those boundaries and then cross them, looking defiantly behind me at the crowd of people who will never know what it is to truly live. This was so beautiful, and I will love you forever for writing it, and sharing it with the world, because this is exactly what the world needs to hear. I feel ridiculous writing a review for this because there is only one thing that I paused for the slightest of seconds at.

When you are writing in the person, you say "sending the strength I need..." And I expected it to say, "sending me the strength I need..." The absence of the "me" tripped me up, but I didn't fall, and your poem proceeded to catch me with the "there are no rules here" part. I loved that. I loved this.

This is such a masterpiece, I can't even write anymore without repeating myself. This inspired me more than you can ever imagine. The ending broke my heart, and made me want to do that much more to make sure I keep all my dreams cupped in my hand.

~Caterpickle

Carina says...

<3 it makes me happy that you feel this way

And I totally agree with that small slip up. I actually noticed until the end, but it took forever to align the words up, and if I changed it, it would affect the words below it. So in other words, I was lazy lol;;;;;
Thank you though. <3

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:08 am
FeatherPen wrote a review...

This is a true art work and works very well on the computer, as I enjoyed the anticipation as I scrolled down.

In this line I felt that you were trying to say ‘in a world were art is made.’ But instead I got the opposite meaning from the phrase ‘falls apart’.

But what if in a world where art falls apart
The rules are broken?

It felt as though I was plunging into a dream, when I got to the coloured part. The
‘this is the place ive always imagined’
section I mentally read in one breath, which ment that when I reached the THERE ARE NO RULES HERE part I look a gasp of air. Whether intended or not it matched the poem/art brilliantly.

As you near the end you are back in the white, where if you are consistent with the beginning, you use the proper grammatical rules. In this case I think ‘Wake up’ could be in speech marks and your last three lines capitalized on the first letter.

You may find it useful to know I missed the scissor blade words the fist time, but I enjoyed finding them when I reread it. You have fitted the words into the pictures wonderfully and I love your use of font size for impact.. I am also pleased to see you used open source images, as opposed to ones taken from elsewhere on the web. This blurs the line between art and poetry, Fantastic work!

Carina says...

Thanks so much for the review!! An abstract piece of art and poetry was exactly what I was aiming for. :) Goad you enjoyed it! <3

Carina says...

*glad

grumble grumble dumb phone...

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:31 am
Carina says...

In case anyone was wondering, the pictures used were all from an open domain site, free for private or commercial use. Hope you enjoyed the read!

It's hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.
— Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian