Home » Literary works » Poetry » Other

i wish to write, i wish to fish.

by Carina

Hkumar says...

Hey! Just wanted to say this is really good and I think it describes the mindset of a writer very well. It's so relatable. Also I like this transition of color at the end :D

Carina says...

Oh hey, thanks for the comment!! Glad to see my old work is still getting some love. :') now to actually take my own advice and finish drafting the two other poems I have outlined

Cithara says...

I absolutely adore this.
And the visual at the end...ugh just so amazing. So. Amazing.
I read this every day you know xD I always come back it. That's a rarity for me :P
Excellent work!

Carina says...

Wow, thanks! I'm honored and happy that this piece made such a big impact. <33

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:51 am
Letjoba says...

hey there .
wow i'd have to say it is a great poem.
and please do correct me if I am wrong.
but i believe it speaks of procrastination , about how we always find an excuse not to do something.
you could have thought about the worms from day one, or the fact that your fishing in a dead lake.
it also speaks about an overthinking mind,
so much to say but your lost for words?

Carina says...

Thanks for the comment! That is certainly a very good interpretation. There's never a definite answer to pieces with a big metaphor, so if you can reason it, it's correct. I'll will admit that it is about a writer and the internal struggles to write something perfect, and procrastination is a key element to this. :)

racket says...

That is awesome. Ohmigersh.

Carina says...

ermahgerd, thanks!

racket says...

XD You're welcome!

racket says...

XD You're welcome!

racket says...

XD You're welcome!

BlueSunset says...

It's so.... beautiful. Wow. :D

Carina says...

eheh, thank you!

BlueSunset says...

Your welcome <3

EternalRain says...

This is - I just -.......

uh. <3

Carina says...

<3 <3

Iggy says...

Marry me.

Carina says...

I can already hear the wedding bells ringing.

Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:25 pm
veeren says...

claps and snaps

Carina says...

*bend and snap

veeren says...

dont tell me how to live

Carina says...

don't live me how to tell

Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:29 pm
Skydreamer says...

This is a work of brilliant art. : )

Carina says...

<# thanks, Dreamz!

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:19 pm
Mea says...

I have no words for this. A poem hasn't affected me like this for a long time. <3

Carina says...

<3 Thank you!

Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:13 am
TheShauzer wrote a review...

I almost don't want to review it because of it's near-perfection as regards the style. Carina this was absolutely wonderful; the whole time you managed to maintain the slow degradation of your punctuality and your overall control of the piece - in turn showing that you had all the control. I hope that makes sense ;)

I think that the idea of the fish being the words you need, right there and yet somehow - unfairly - out of reach, is a great metaphor for writer's block. I found it really relatable and I guess that's the main reason I got into it. I once described a writer's mind as a cavern where the stalactites are ideas waiting to crash home. That also made this piece relatable to me; it made me think about my own writing and not giving up and all that motivational mumbo jumbo, which I appreciated because it's probably the kick in the bum I needed! ;) Thank you!

I think the slightest bit of improvement you could possibly achieve in this piece of art is to overdo the breakdown even more; maybe you could work at this from different angles, like changing the fonts to see if any suit the confusion better, or maybe try some misspelled words or something... I don't know. That's not the way to improve, that's just showing how you could approach this in different ways. The way you could improve, as I said, is to overdo the breakdown; talk about the line breaking, or the rod slipping out of your hand, or catching the fish only to get too excited and let it escape again, or accidentally kicking the bucket of bait over. Make it a bit more... just more. I loved it, and I can in no way complain about it, I'm just racking my brain trying to think of a possible improvement. I understand if you don't want to make it 'more', because this also has the element of being truthful as regards simplicity. The words are there. You have the rod. You have the bait. And there's just nothing biting. It's so simple that more might ruin it, but as I said it's just about different angles. Maybe it would ruin it, but there's also the chance that it could make it ten times better. I loved how you went from white to black, like you were sinking deeper into the depths of confusion and the despair of creative malfunction, like the light of inspiration was slowly dwindling away. I loved the whole breakdown, and because of my slight OCD, I loved the way you centered 'tomorrow.' at the end.

Overall, it was brilliant, and I urge you to try to be this diverse in the future. Even with pieces that aren't a completely new breed of style like this one, even with pieces as clich├ęd as Arnold Schwarzenegger's script for every movie, please try to introduce this creative spark you're showing here. I've seen too many talents waste away in bland scribbles. For some reason ( ;) ) I don't think that there's any chance of that happening here.

Your imagination is the key element of your writing; it's not always about the best descriptions or the best plots, it is - however - always about making an impact. This did, and I hope to see just as much effort in your future pieces. Thanks for the change, and the newness, and the absolute gorgeous piece that you've blessed my memory with.

Yours in ink,
TS.

Carina says...

You're very welcome, and thank you for the kind review! I'm happy that it made an impact for fellow writers. <3

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:22 am
Sonder says...

This is stunning. Oh my goodness. I wish I could like it a million times. <333

Carina says...

Thank you! <3

Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:48 pm
MaddieNicolette wrote a review...

wow!!! That is so cool how you did that transitions, its like you are actually on the boat fishing! i loved how the way you described things. this was really really great.

One thing tho, i didnt understand the whole changing the font, i mean i kinda understood, you were trying to do different stanzas. i think you could have done this someother way.

But really i thought this was really good, one more question is what happened to the sea, i thought she was in a dead lake. anywho... it still was fantastic. lol my dad fishes ALOT.
Maddie

Carina says...

Thank you! The narrator was unknowingly fishing at a lake without any fish (hence dead lake), then "the wind blew" the narrator to the sea with fish. But of course, the narrator didn't catch anything. Hope that answer your question! Thanks again for the review!

yeah thanks so much!

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:21 pm
katiemeyers says...

Please answer a question for me?

Curiosity is killing me.
---Katie

Carina says...

Haha, sure. But if it relates to interpretation or meaning, then I'm afraid I can't directly answer that. ;)

katiemeyers says...

Ha no , (;
Actually it's how you put so much emotion into? I've well....never read anything this raw. It's wonderful!

Carina says...

heh, thanks! Though you pretty much answered the question yourself: this piece is very raw. Emotional/good pieces have so much detail, elegant words, and perfect grammar. Often times people think that's how you make an awesome piece, but that's not always the truth.

But I also cheated, lol. I combined an abstract piece of art, which you can see with the font changes and when it turns black. Breaks and spaces also help too. The only real poetry element I tried to use was alliteration.

I hope that answers your question. :9

katiemeyers says...

Yes of course, thanks for sharing!

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon