In the clouds.

by Capa002

Nonchalantly, dust gathers at my feet.

But I remain unfazed, my head high up in the clouds. 

Gently, I swing myself, craning my neck in admiration of your starry night.

The metal bars dig into my back and thighs, and I... am unfazed. 

My head, high up in the clouds.

I finally let go and indulge in your world's ravishing tranquillity.

Soon, very soon...your world will no longer exist.

Not in my universe.

--

Twisting and turning in restless agony, 

I have long forgotten that these pristine sheets offered me no solace.

My tear-ridden eyes peel open to familiarity.

My universe. My reality. My life

A world without you. 

One with no youth and happiness and sincerity. 

--

Chaotically, I search every nook and cranny for an embezzled ray of hope, or warmth or joy...

Anything. "Please!" I plead.

Anguish encases my soul...

I uselessly let go and attempt to lose myself to a world of porcelain and elegance and grace.

--

Gently, I swing myself, craning my neck...craning my neck in admiration of...

In admiration of...

I scan my surroundings, searching for the life I had once owned

A life of fulfilment and content.

A life of blissful ignorance...

A life without you.

--

Instead, all I find are the places you haven't been, the things you haven't seen...

The life you haven't lived. 

A life you do not know. 

You do not exist here.

And you cannot exist here.

This is my universe...that is your world. 

--

My feet remain untouched, and my head...

My head is no longer high up in the clouds.

The stanza breaks didn't show so I had to put (--) instead. I known it very confusing and its not a great poem but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 pm
Capa002 says...

Hey, I edited the poem according to the criticism I received, please let me know what you think. I couldnt figure out how to add italics, but al tge words in italics in tge first version woild stay the same. Thanks!

Gradually, dust gathered at my feet.
But I was unfazed, my head high up in the clouds,
My feet skimming the silky sheet of golden sand.
Gently, I swung myself back and forth on the bench,
Craning my neck in admiration of your starry night.
The metal bars dug into my back and thighs, and I... was unfazed.
My head, high up in the clouds.
I finally allowed myself to indulge in the ravishing tranquillity of your world.
Soon, very soon...your world would no longer exist.
Not in my universe.
--
Twisting and turning in restless agony,
My universe. My reality. My life.
A world without you.
--
Chaotically, I search every nook and cranny for a hidden ray of hope, or warmth or joy...
Anything. "Please!" I plead.
Anguish encases my soul...
--
Gently, I swing myself back and forth on a hammock of ivory,
My feet skimming the hard marble floor,
Craning my neck...craning my neck in admiration of...
In admiration of...
I scan my surroundings, searching for the life I had once owned.
A life of fulfilment and content.
A life of blissful ignorance...
A life without you.
--
The life you haven't lived.
A life you do not know.
You do not exist here.
And you cannot exist here.
--
My feet remain immaculate, and I am left unbearably fazed.
And my head...

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:09 pm
Valkyria wrote a review...

This is a beautifully written poem, but try adding where you are. I envisioned the speaker standing on a hill looking up at the sky, but the metal bars threw me off.

How come the speaker says "life of blissful ignorance without you?" Is the speaker ambivalent about the death of the person who died?

Great job, and next time try to follow through hints of the where and the how.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 pm
Radrook wrote a review...

Thanx for sharing this poem. The determination to remain far from the person described comes across loud and clear. I like the effort at word diversity. I also like the way it is organized into stanzas as well as the use metaphors or symbolic language.

However, I did wonder why some phrases are repeated as if an echo.

The adverb, "nonchalantly" made me pause because the noun "nonchalance" is an attitude adopted by a mind and dust is mindless. Also, if indeed it were capable of thought and settling nonchalantly because it chose to, I saw no reason to be so fearful as to try to feel unfazed. Trying to reconcile all this brought my reading to a stop.

The poem also seems to express pride and satisfaction of being rid of a person but then describes life without that person as blissful ignorance. Satisfaction in a life one admits to be lived in blissful ignorance seemed a bit strange.

If life without the person was blissful ignorance, then why does the speaker prefer life without her?

What are those metal bars?

What does the dust represent?

Why does her existence have a starry sky and his doesn't?

How can a ray of hope be embezzled?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/embezzle

So the effect off all these unanswered questions was confusion despite my best efforts to bring everything into harmonious focus.

Capa002 says...

Thanks for your review, and I'll try to answer some of your questions. Firstly, I agree that the word "nonchalantly" may not be very appropriate to describe the gathering of the dust on the speaker's feet. The fact that she is "unfazed" is reflective of how she is somewhat dettached from her surroundings. As the speaker goes on in the poem, she talks about how pristine her life is, and having dust gather at your feet is not very pristine and elegant, it simply doesn't match with her life.
Secondly, you are right the speaker would have rathered a life of "blissful ignorance" because then she didnt know what she was missing out on from the other guy's world. So once she's back to her world,all she can think of is his "starry night" that doesn't exist in her world. His world is romantic and real and raw, very much unlike hers.
The metal bars were supposed tobe the metal bars from the swing she was sitting on (so her feet skimmed on the floor and so dust/dirt gathered gradually because she was bare foot). I guess I should've portrayed that better.
The dust represents how his world is dirty and imperfect, but his world's imperfections are what make it all so perfect, better than the sleaker's pristine universe.
Her universe doesn't have a starry sky because her universe lacks emotional warmth and intimacy, unlike his world.
Again, the use of the word embezzled may not fit in very well. But I meant for it to come across as a ray of hope was stolen from his world, and maybe she can use it to comfort her, because her universe offers her "no solace".
I guess it is a crappy poem but I hope I've answered all your questions.
Thanks again, for the review.

Radrook says...

Not crappy at all. Very profound and metaphorical. Thanks for the explanations.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm
Pentavalence wrote a review...

Hello, Pentavalence here with a review.

Right off the bat, I'd like to add some disclaimers--

1) While this review will focus on areas where you can improve, I do think this work could be devastating (in a good way) with a few tweaks.

2) I'm not going to pretend to know much (or anything at all) about poetry, so take this review with a grain of salt. However, here are a few things that jumped out at me:

Where are you? You mention metal bars and dust gathering, but I never get a good impression of where you are and what you're doing. The image that came to me was monkey bars on a playground, but for all I know that's wayy off.

I think some setting would help with lines like this: "I uselessly let go and attempt to lose myself to a world of porcelain and elegance and grace.", because it's never clear whether it's literal or figurative.

Sometimes you repeat words, especially in the third stanza. (Chaotically, I search every nook and cranny in then hopes of discovering an embezzled ray of hope, or warmth or joy...)

One thing I do know about poetry is that word choice matters, and if you're going to repeat a word (such as hope, like you did in this stanza), then it should be deliberate. I can't vouch for your authorial intent, but this doesn't feel deliberate.

Okay, that's all. Again, I don't know much about poetry, but I hope this helps!

Capa002 says...

Hey, thanks for your comment.
The speaker is supposed to be sitting on one of those bench swings (hence the metal bars) and as she's swinging herself dust gathers because shes barefoot.
The line where it says "I attempt to lose myself in a world of porcelain and elegance and grace" is purely figurative. Its kind of mirroring earlier in the poem when the speaker says "in admiration of your starry night", she unfazed because shes lost in his world's beauty. So she's trying to lose herself back into her universe, to make herself forget about everything shes missing on. How do you thinking could make it more obvious that it is figurative?
Your right about the reppetition of the word "hope" but all other repetition was intended.
I hope I haven't been rambling nonsense again.
Thanks again for your comment.

Pentavalence says...

Np! Thanks for the clarification.

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream