Boy! I wish I had fins

by Becky2421

(Brainy boy watches from crowd as swimmer girl competes)

Gasping for air

Face clinging with soaked hair

When she broke surface

I gripped the rail

As she swam like she had a tail

.

Looking like a goddess

Competing like a badass

Adding colour to this blueness

Spice to this madness

.

Boy! I wish I had fins

I guess I have bad genes

A science freak I am

A spectator I would be to this show

.

Exiting the pool, exuding radiance

Wishing I had magnifying lens

A killer body she try to hide

A fragile picture she painted in my eyes

.

Not so muscular like her friends

She’s not what one might hate

Receiving gold with pride

I pictured her as my bride

Harker wrote a review...

Hey there, Becky! IronSpark here for a review on this awesome day. I'll be doing this by stanza, so...

Grasping for air

Face clinging with soaked hair

When she broke surface

I gripped the rail

As she swam like she had a tail

I want to start this off by saying that you're an excellent rhymer, and I'm very happy that you are--unless I'd have to suggest you remove rhymes altogether. That being said, I'm not very fond of lines 2 and 5 here. First, 2 - I think this would be better if you replaced "face" with a sea creature or something in the ocean, like "salt clings to soaked hair". See? It's a bit more powerful, as your poem is driven by the senses and this is a very sense-oriented line. And 5 - just think about your use of "like" in this line. I feel like removing it could be more evocative of an image, you know?

Looking like a goddess

Competing like a badass

Adding colour to this blueness

Spice to this madness

Hey, what experience do you have with music? When I'm reading this line, I hear a beat in my head like the beat of a song. If you know someone who is able to or if you yourself songwrite, this would be a nice opportunity for you. Just a thought! I feel like this is a really lyrical line you've got here.

Boy! I wish I had fins

I guess I have bad genes

A science freak I am

A spectator I would be to this show

The more I read it, the more I think this was meant to be a song. Was it? -- Anyway, I'm not so fond of this "genes". It doesn't rhyme with anything, it's awkward, and it doesn't make enough sense to keep in. What about something to rhyme with "show"? "Slow", "tow", "go"? There are plenty of options. :D

Exiting the pool giving off radiance

Wishing I had magnifying lens

A killer body she try to hide

This is a nice stanza because it really establishes the writer's tone. "Killer body", while a bit crude and potentially misogynistic, is a nice addition to the narrator's persona. That being said, I'm not sure I love the usage of "giving off radiance". It's an awkward phrase, and it doesn't rhyme with anything.

Not so muscular like her friends

She’s not what one might hate

Receiving gold with pride

I pictured her as my bride

This is a strong ending to a strong piece. You effectively established the narrator's tone and backed that up with some important, lyrical details. Was this supposed to be a song? Tell me below! I'd love to strike up a dialogue.

DFTBA.
IronSpark

Becky2421 says...

Hey there IronSpark,
Just to be clear this is not about a mermaid or the sea so the first
suggestion I would have to decline.
About the 'genes' - well I do not wish to achieve rhyme there
but to create a thought that he is not a swimmer but a science student (born to not swim...just put it like that).
And about the radiance thingy- I edited that to exuding (giving off)

Thanks so much for that helpful review.
I appreciate the compliments too.
B.T.W, It was intended to be lyrical too so
I guess it can be one's lyric to a song. :)

Cheers!
.

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:27 am
Hippyhoodrat wrote a review...

nice poem.. just a few comments.
In the first stanza.. I think you meant gasping, not grasping... the second line didn't make sense to me since the hair would be clinging to the face, not vice versa. Id suggest changing it to "face dripping, soaked hair." I think it would compliment the overall flow of the poem. I'd also recommend removing the word "as" from the last line of that stanza.
In the third stanza, I'd suggest changing the line to "Cursed with bad genes."...I also think the last line of that same stanza doesn't fit the flow. Maybe "A spectator to this show"..?
Second to last stanza- maybe "Exiting the pool, exuding radiance"
in the third line, I think that can only be tries or tried. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
I really liked the last two lines, very nice ending.
Great job :)

Becky2421 says...

Wow thanks that was helpful darling! (quite lengthy)
Gee! got the spelling wrong 'gasping'. Thanks to your gorgeous
eyes i wouldn't have noticed that. (F.Y.I i don't have an eye problem )
Grasping= grabbing _Gasping= breathing hard
They both still have what the imagine i want to portray. :)
But i prefer yours better :)

The rest i would would not recommend cause they will
not have the rhythm i intend to give to the reciter and will
disrupt the flow of words in this poem.

About the "try", well it still flows well grammatically too.
I know your referring to the tenses but it still is correct like that.
I have a lengthy reason to this and prefer not to write it down.

But thanks though love, :)
will look forward to more stuff like this!

Cheers!

Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 am
Steggy wrote a review...

Stegosaurus here for a review!

I liked the beginning of this poem as it seems to hold a hope that this could relate to mermaids (which could be a metaphor for life or whatnot). I also like how the title seems to grab my attention since it seems like the narrator wants fins so they can swim away from their problems and the world- like they are in a stress and whenever they try to swim away, the cannot. Also the rhyming was quite good too since it seemed to bring out the mood and the diction- which makes the reader want to read more.

For this part, I am going to go from stanza to stanza and hopefully it will help you!

Grasping for air

Face clinging with soaked hair

When she broke surface

I gripped the rail

As she swam like she had a tail

This is a lovely stanza to begin a poem. It gives an image of someone with wet hair clinging to their face (but could make the reader think of what was making her hair clinging to her face). This also has a AABB type of rhyme scheme- which adds a mood and whatnot.
The things I would suggest in this stanza would be:

Grasping for air,

Face clinging with soaked hair soaked hair clinging to her face

When As she broke surface

I gripped the rail

As then she swam like she had a tail

So the corrections I put in bold since in the beginning, it sounds better if you have 'soaked hair' first since it seems more well-written. 'When' to me seems like a time in place whereas 'as' is a point of doing and knowing. Same goes the next line.

Looking like a goddess

Competing like a badass

Adding colour to this blueness

Spice to this madness

Suggests :
Looking like a goddess,

Competing like a badass

Adding colour to this blueness Adding colour to the sea

Spice to this madness Despite all madness

What I suggested to the third line since I think blueness isn't used correctly. Sea, however, does because you cannot imagine blueness without a sea. I also think instead of 'spice' you meant 'despit' ;)

Boy! I wish I had fins

I guess I have bad genes

A science freak I am

A spectator I would be to this show

This stanza doesn't seem to make sense to me and seems to be just added together. What I suggest is re-reading it and see what you can do to make it better- that is how people learn from their mistakes and correct them along the way.

Overall, this was a lovely piece with a great meaning behind it. It had an awesome rhyme scheme and I enjoyed the feeling from this. I hope to read more from you!

If you want me to go over anything, let me know!

Steggy

Becky2421 says...

Hate to admit but i won't agree with you.
I can see you go for the grammatically corrections and
sentence structure. Which is not needed/ignored in a poem.

First of all my friend, your first and second suggestion is a definite no!
I am trying to achieve rhyme in this poem so i have to end the second stanza with 'hair' so it rhymes with 'air' (first stanza).
''Blueness and madness" are perfect as they are. Rhyme gain is what i aim to achieve.

Plus by spice, i don't mean despite. I do mean spice -hot,
And the last suggestion, it does make sense only you just dont get it.
'Boy! I wish i had fins'- he wishes he knew how to swim.
'I guess i have bad genes'- he is not a swimmer
'A science freak i am'- he takes/studies science
'A spectator i would be to this show'- he is a science student not a swimmer so he turns out to be the spectator to this show.

Thanks anyways..i hope you do figure out hints of message in poems
like the one you got confused in the future.

Cheers! This review helped me to study this poem carefully, which is a good thing :)

klennon14 wrote a review...

Hello there! This review grabbed my attention with the title, and it's an interesting poem :) I enjoyed reading your descriptions of the swimmer, and how she mimics a mermaid she is so graceful.
I truly love the all of the lines in your first stanza. You do a great job with descriptions here.
Some of the lines in the meat of your poem are a bit awkward, in my opinion. Don't take that to heart or anything. I'm just giving you my perspective as a reader :) I think there are a few lines you could change up like:

"Boy! I wish I had fins

I guess I have bad genes

A science freak I am

A spectator I would be to this show"

The first two lines here are perfectly fine, but the second two lines don't really go together very well. I might cut down the last line in this stanza like:

"A science freak I am

A spectator, I would be."

The way you write the last line...it sticks out like a sore thumb and makes the reader stumble over the rhythm you've already established.

"Exiting the pool giving off radiance"
I would add a comma between "pool" and "radiance."

"A killer body she try to hide

A fragile picture she painted in my eyes"
I love these lines here!!
Only thing is, don't forget to change "try" to "tries." I'm sure you saw this when proofreading again.

The last stanza is worded in an interesting way, but I like it! Besides my nitpicks- please don't take any of them to heart- I thoroughly enjoyed this unique poem!!

Happy writing,
Kali Lennon

Becky2421 says...

Thanks for the lengthy review. Obviously your trying to gain points from this review (we all are).
It was intensely helpful!
Gee! you made me had to go through this patch
up the uneven.

Thanks hope seeing helpful reviews lie this in the future!
Cheers!

Swordfish wrote a review...

Hello Becky2421!
It's MergSword here with a review!

I assume you're talking about mermaids right. I started to think it was a dolphin of something.

Alright. I liked the humor part of this and I think humor can go greatly with romance if it's used correctly.

Although I do want to point out one thing. If this person were to have fins, they still could,not exactly be with their mate. I don't want to ruin the title or seem like a smarty pants but wouldn't they need gills? You know, to breathe the water and stuff. Unless you aren't referring to mermaids because then I'm sorry for that complete waste of review.

"Exiting the pool giving off radiance

Wishing I had magnifying lens

A killer body she try to hide

I liked the description of this line, the details are great. Although the try in this stanza should be tried.

"Grasping for air

Face clinging with soaked hair

When she broke surface

I gripped the rail

As she swam like she had a tail"

This is a great magnetic opening that makes readers want to read on. Great job!

Becky2421 says...

First of all MergSword,
This is not about a mermaid.
Just to be clear, this is about a boy
admiring a graceful female swimmer.
So he is in the crowd watching her swim a race.

Secondly again i am not referring to a mermaid. So my title still remains
perfect. Why? Because i am trying to convey a message when i used fins.
If you don't know what a fin is please google it or look in a dictionary. A fin is perfect in this poem for the boy wishes he could swim like that girl. Fins help fishes to thrust or push (swim) forward in water. Fins are what helps fishes to swim faster like their tail and move flexibly through water like the swimmer in this poem swims.

Finally about the 'try' thingy well it still makes sense without the 'ed'.
But thanks for your review it helps me study more and look deep into what i constructed.

racket wrote a review...

Hello, Becky! racket here to review your poem.
XD Well. XD I like this! Your point of view is kind of funny, at least from my perspective. So completely awed and just like 'Man! She's one heck of a girl!' or whatever. XD Anyways, it made me laugh, so even if that wasn't the goal, good job!
I like the way you phrased everything so nicely, we, the readers, can really see things from your main character's pov.
Just a few questions/comments/suggestions/etc., the first of which being maybe use some punctuation? Especially at the end; your poem is so well done, and the last line is so perfectly final, it's just screaming to have a complete ending. Your poem deserves a period down there, completely finalizing it and making it whole. XD Sorry, but every good poem deserves a whole ending.
Also, commas, hyphens and periods strategically placed throughout the poem would be extremely beneficial, such as in in this stanza

Exiting the pool giving of radiance-
Wishing I had a magnifying glass-
A killer body she try to hide,
A fragile picture she painted in my eyes.

the second line is kind of an interjection of thoughts, so hyphens would really emphasize that. Also, 'try' in the last line should be 'tried'.
Face clinging with soaked hair

This line could be phrased a bit better. It technically does not make sense, though I get your meaning. How about 'Soaking hair plastered to flushed cheeks' or something like that. I think that line would be a great place to really express the girl's beauty? Not just the body, but the face as well.
Well, that's pretty much it! To help you find the places punctuation should go, just read the poem aloud once or twice and add commas and things in places you pause, different punctuation marks for different lengths of pauses. So, that's it! Good job! I really enjoyed this, actually, it made me laugh, just at the complete and total awe of the narrator. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to reviewing more of your stuff in the future!
~racket

Becky2421 says...

Damn racket! your one hot reviewer!
First of all,
i do agree about the way i ended my poem.
I wasn't really satisfied with the end for it needed to end
with some exclamation to give this poem the spiciness it deserves.

Secondly about the punctuations, well thanks so much will patch those in.
I could see now that reciters need to know where to pause so that the rhythm flows effectively.

I also like the hyphens idea you got there love.
But about the 'try' thingy. Well it still does go well without 'ed'
but i know its past tense your referring to but if you see it more closely you'll see that it can be for she is presently trying to hide and has not done trying it already. (if you dot get what i mean please not wreck your brain trying to figure it out).

And finally about the 'Face clinging with soaked hair'
well, its its the image i am painting across the reciter that the
girl has raised her head above water to breathe through this
wild and wet race she is in. Yeah i do get your point of stressing
on her beauty at this stanza.

But anyways , thanks so much on the
few questions/comments/suggestions/etc..
Cheers! :)

racket says...

XD Thanks for reading them! And you're very welcome. ;)

Dracula wrote a review...

When I first read the title, I thought, haha, she must be talking about Percy Jackson!

Grasping for air
Face clinging with soaked hair
When she broke surface
I gripped the rail
As she swam like she had a tail

This a great introductory stanza. Your imagery is good and I didn't have any trouble imagining what's happening in the poem. My one suggestion, however, would be to add 'the' before 'surface'. I read through the stanza a few times and in my opinion it flows better with the extra word.

Existing the pool giving off radiance
My second and final nitpick is to do with this line. It just doesn't make sense, I think some rewording is needed. It is a poem, so you can write nonsense if you want to, but I had a nice story coming along in my head. It makes slightly more sense if I add 'in' before 'the pool', but it's up to you.

The feelings this guy has for the mermaid (can I call her a mermaid?) came across loud and clear, and overall you have a really nice poem here. Just fix up those two things and you'll be ready to go. :D

Becky2421 says...

Thanks for your suggestions.
But i'll have to disagree with 'the' before 'surface' because
it still makes sense without it. It wouldn't give the poem that spice i
intended to give. It makes the poem flow when i dot add 'the'. If you gave this poem to probably your english teacher or a poet they will definitely agree with the with the words i constructed on stanza 3.

Secondly, 'Existing the pool giving radiance off'
Thank you so much Dracula for i had mis spelt Existing- this was meant to be 'exiting'.
Anyways thanks.
Cheers!

SinisterPotatoe wrote a review...

That was sweet, I seriously enjoyed your poem. I'm new to the forums, and this is my first post. I have to say I'm impressed. You and this poem have shone like stars. It made me think I made the right decision to come to this site, because if this is the type of work that I can read here, then I'm happy to stay. Your poem was a beautifully painted water color picture inside my mind. The poem felt so smooth, it fit perfectly together, with each line of words connecting with the next line in a way that I couldn't really describe how I feel about it. Unfortunately I'm not one that is good at reviewing other people's work, but I'm quite happy that at least I can enjoy other's work. Thank you for sharing your work.

Remington38 wrote a review...

Hello Remington38 here *rawr*

This I found so cute and it just made me smile, works like this are what make me appreciate poetry. I almost was hoping for more an that's a great thing! Because that means I was so pulled in and wanted more. The only thing and this is totally just a personal suggestion is maybe a little more description (and prepare I am going to go all English teacher on you) imagery. I love that its not too short and not too long either like what the previous commenter said we don't forget the beggining or what were are reading. Great job!

SereneSimpliciT wrote a review...

Awe, that was cute lol

So, all in all, this is a pretty straightforward poem. I like the way you started, with her coming out of the water, it was a nice visual. I also like that this is short, but not too short. It's not long enough that you forget what you read at the beginning, but it's not short enough that there's really nothing said. Good job XD

The only thing I will comment on is the rhyming and the first stanza.
While I do like the way you introduced the premise, I will say that I didn't like that you start with a five line stanza, and then just use normal four line format the rest of the time. If I was you, I'd try to find a way to condense the first stanza into a four line, which shouldn't be too difficult.
Also, this doesn't rhyme all that well. I mean, technically the words sound similar, but in the context, they don't flow as well. I'd suggest reading this out loud, I did and I caught a few of the bumps. That, and then you change your way of rhyming and I suggest just reviewing this and fixing the structure.

Well, that's all I got to say! Good job ;)
Keep writing
~Maddie

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
— George Orwell, 1984