12+

Beastling : Chapter 2

by Auxiira

For my LMS : approx 970 words

_____________________________________________________

Linna

She stepped out of the storeroom with a pile of books in her arms, her shawl slipping down her arm as she placed them on the counter. They spilled across the grained wood, falling out of the pile she had organised them into. At the end of an aisle, the lady looked up from the novel she was leafing through. Her hair curled around her ear in soft, blonde ringlets and Linna felt a flash of hot jealousy, even though she smiled. She wanted nothing more than to be able to pierce her ears and show them off freely.

“Have you found something you like, ma'am?” she asked as she stacked the books on one side of the counter. Smoothing along the pile, she found the bumping of their spines against her fingers soothing.

The lady held up the book she was holding with a slight tilt of her head. “This one. I've been waiting for it to come out for a while now.” She closed the book and smoothed down the cover with a gloved hand, then came to the counter.

As Linna brought up the price of the book, the lady watched her. Her stare became unconfortable as Linna handed her the book in a small paper bag. The young woman shifted on her feet, not meeting the lady's eyes as she started to separate the boks into different stacks. As she moved to place the books on the shelves, the other woman reached forwards. Linna froze, unsure as to what she was doing.

“You have such lovely hair. It's such a shame you don't do something other with it than that plain braid.”

Linna took a hurried step back as the woman's hand brushed her hair, her eyes wide. “I'm sorry, ma'am, I'm not hugely fond of being touched.” She put down the pile of books she was holding. “I'll fetch the cub for you.” Hurrying out from behind the counter, her heart was in her throat, beating faster than she had felt in a long time.

Almost. A few more centimetres and she would have been found out, would have been killed. She closed her eyes and forced herself to breathe normally.

The cub pawed at her ankle as she untied it from the wall. “Sister,” it whispered. “Sister, why?” Without thinking, she lashed out, her foot connecting with its chest. Her fists shook next to her sides.

“Don't touch me.” She hissed through gritted teeth. “I am not one of you.” Grabbing the leash, she dragged the cub back into the store and handed it to its master, shoving the loop into her hand.

She took a breath to stablise herself before giving the lady a shakey smile. “I'm very sorry, it tried to... touch me, and it gave me quite the fright.”

“I'm incredibly sorry for that.” The woman looked Linna up and down before turning to the cub. “Filthy animal.” The snap of her hand on its cheek filled the shop. Linna closed her eyes, forcing herself to not appear tense. That could be her. Just an animal. She could almost feel the grime on her skin where the cub's fingers had grazed her skin. Her eyelids flicked open and she smiled.

“Have a lovely day, ma'am.” The woman nodded, turning and leaving the shop with a bustle of her skirts.

Linna took a deep breath through her nose, then paused. Was that gunpowder she could smell? Surely not. A woman from the higher spheres had no need to play with gunpowder. It was surely her nose playing tricks on her. She let out her breath, then ruturned to placing the books on the bookshelves.

The Man

The file landed on his desk with a small thump as the woman before him dropped it there with a frustrated frown. Pulling the hat from her head, she raked her hand through her blonde hair and settled into the chair across from him. He raised an eyebrow as she pulled off her boots, then opened the file. On the very top was a photograph of a woman, no older than him, pale, with a piercing amber stare.

“What do I want this for?” His cool voice caught the lady's attention and she stopped removing her shoes for a second to meet his glare.

“You said to find the beastlings hiding as humans. Well, there's one. She definitely doesn't have ears on the side of her head. Her mind probably works faster than yours though.” Her arched eyebrow countered his thin, disapproving lips with enough guts for him to huff a response. She peered at the file as his eyes travelled back to the photo, picking apart the girl with his stare. “I thought you'd like her. She crushed a few bones in the cub's hand and gave it a couple of broken ribs.”

One thin black brow raised a notch as he turned the photo and read the next page, skimming the report of the afternoon's activities. “She's soft.”

The woman snorted, tilting the chair back onto two legs. “Soft? I'm sure she could beat a few of the soldiers if she put her mind to it. Or at least one.”

“She wouldn't last a day with other beastlings, is what I mean. But we can work on that.” He looked up from the file, a pensive moue pulling his lips together. “You can go. I'll take it from here.” He looked back down to the file. “Good job.”

The woman brightened at the praise, her back straightening. “Thank you, sir.” Collecting her shoes and the hat she stood and left the room, leaving the man at his desk with the file. As he turned the pages, a faint smell of gunpowder littered the air.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:31 am
Rydia wrote a review...

Haiii Auxi!

1. This is the start of the new chapter and even though you've titled it with her name, we need to know who she is. Always start a new chapter by re-establishing the basics: who's in this scene, where is this scene set and what's the pace/ mood of this scene? A reader will be more easily immersed in your story when they know what ground they're standing on.

2. Does Linna want to show off her ears or does she want to have normal ears to show off? I think that distinction would help us understand more about her - I don't know yet if she's self loathing or angry with the people who treat her kind so differently. Does she hate her body or just that it's hers?

3.

As Linna brought up the price of the book, the lady watched her. Her stare became unconfortable uncomfortable as Linna handed her the book in a small paper bag. The young woman shifted on her feet, not meeting the lady's eyes as she started to separate the boks books into different stacks.

4.
She took a breath to stablise stabilise herself before giving the lady a shakey shaky smile. “I'm very sorry, it tried to... touch me, and it gave me quite the fright.”

5.
Linna took a deep breath through her nose, then paused. Was that gunpowder she could smell? Surely not. A woman from the higher spheres had no need to play with gunpowder. It was surely her nose playing tricks on her. She let out her breath, then ruturned returned to placing the books on the bookshelves.

6.
“She wouldn't last a day with other beastlings, is what I mean. But we can work on that.” He looked up from the file, a pensive moue [Mole?] pulling his lips together. “You can go. I'll take it from here.” He looked back down to the file. “Good job.”

This is a nice chapter but also a little rushed and it would benefit from some more description, especially of emotions/ delving into the psychology behind these characters. I think the scene between Linna and the woman was very strong and we started to get some good insights but the moment with the cub was too brief and the scene with the man at the end felt a little tagged on. The woman's changing emotions with him (almost mocking and then subservient) made it hard to decide if he's in charge of her or a business partner and it felt very disconnected. If we at least knew who he was in relation to the woman then it would be easier to overlook their lack of identifying names/ tags.

The mention of the gunpowder is a nice detail but awkwardly introduced. Linna's thinking that a woman like her wouldn't need it feels clunky and makes it stand out too much. It would be better as a subtle curiosity or a passing thought. More along the lines of did her husband work with gunpowder? People add stories to strange events - they explain them to themselves and then wave them away. Plus after the near death experience I don't think she's likely to be fixated on the gunpowder spell. I'd almost rather see how she is once alone in the shop and to see panic there - does she collapse against the wall? Does she go back to where the beastling cub was chained and touch the place she had chained him to? I want to see more emotion from Linna that will help us connect with her because I want so much to like her.

My only other comment is that maybe you could make the scene between the man and the woman a little more chilling or use it to give us information on beastlings. Is Linna a better speaker than most? More educated? Or is she simply better at hiding who she is? Are they surprised by her attempts to hide herself, amused, disgusted? Do they intend to break her or expose her? At the moment the scene leans more toward being mysterious and I'm not sure that works for such a short scene.

All the best,

~Heather

PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Hey Xilla,

I'm enjoying the progression of the story thus far, I like that you're giving small hints tho I still recall you'll expand chapters later, which is actually a great idea because I feel like you could be expanding on some elements of description.

Nitpicks are for other people to talk about, you've got a million reviews again so I'm sure people will have covered the redundancies and the like. You don't have many of them, mostly they're probably quirks of syntax related to dialect rather than strict grammar issues.

I think that your pacing is on point but the cuts between scenes/Linna's actions are a little awkward in places. Particular when she goes to get the cub and returns, it feels disconnected or something, rather awkward. This is also the case when we swap perspectives - though I super like the use of The Man as our subheading, it fits really nicely. I can only assume these people are perhaps military or such, I like the suggestions without the facts. Too many novels tell you everything all at once without letting the reader settle into the world first. I do think we need a bit more settling before The Man, but that will happen when you expand.

Characterisation: The Man is fine, I don't have any queries about his behaviour. The woman, on the other hand, feels a little... undecided in terms of her actions here. She drops the file on the table (with a feeling of carelessness/tension?) and is frank and a little snarky "Her mind probably works faster than yours though." but then in the end she's glowing with his small compliment. I suppose there are people who are actually like that in the world but in this case it feels a little contrived? Or not contrived but uneven. If you want to do well, you want to do well, but you don't add little sassy comments to your reporting. But I might be looking too closely at it.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, when I'll read the next chapter. :)
- <3

Pompadour wrote a review...

Back for 1.2!

Happy Review Day~

In the first line you have 'arms' and 'arm' in quite close vicinity to one another, which creates a teensy bit of repetition--I'd suggest just cutting 'in her arms' out because it feels like superfluous detail.

Okay, so the main issue I have with this chapter-part is pacing. The scene from 1.1 is completed and we jump-cut straight to the man; this isn't done all-too-subtly, either. While I'm really fond of the stylistic choices you've employed here, as well as the lovely hold on atmosphere you're reigning, I'm going to have to suggest keeping the part with the man as a separate chapter, or even dividing the chapter with an asterisk while weaving us subtly into the scene. The PoV shift was also ... odd. It reads like the kind of Third Person Limited that's prevalent in Harry Potter, with us entering Linna's thoughts, but not so very often.

What I think this chapter needs a bit more of, in a nutshell:

1) Setting + scene

2) Sensory description

3) Hints of worldplaying/building.

Also, I'm going to complain about how we're lacking description here. Everything seems to be floating mid-air and I realise this might be you experimenting with style, but I think a small amount of setting is necessary in a story that depends so heavily on worldbuilding and a society that appears to be so ... different ... from our own.

Writing is as much about aesthetics as it is about telling a story. c: While I'm enjoying what you're unrolling so far, I'd also like something heavier to chew on, like specifics that you can deliver to us subtly, instead of info-dumping which /might/ be the end-result when your reader has entered a moving plot without much background on the world or the characters' histories. I think you could take advantage of Third Person Omniscient. This is a suggestion, because so far it's TPL, but I think TPO could up your game by allowing you to both manoeuvre the storyline + situations better, as well as get into your characters heads and allow for quite a bit of dramatic irony.

Again, that's just a suggestion~

Moving on--BACKSTORY. I needz backstory. I'd also be a fan of seeing Linna interact with the owner of the store perhaps, to build up the vibe, and so we can see how she's managed to keep her actual identity so discreet for so long. I have so many questions for her. SO MANY. You'd better answer the whys and wherefores of her in the next chapters, Auxii. I demand it. I would also suggest spending a bit more time with Linna when you re-write this, perhaps introduce a minor conflict before the main one, like her struggling to hide her identity while on the job, or the shop owner thinking it suspicious that she wears a hat indoors, or something along those lines to make Linna's being what-she-is more realistic. I also think it'd allow the readers to connect to her more if you pushed the scene with the man ahead--we can't really worry for her or feel excited much because the world is still a little vague.

I will reiterate what I said about adding more emotional input via the characters in 1.1. Emotion and facial expressions can convey a lot~

Overall, I am digging this. Have I told you already? If not, I shall now. You have managed to well and truly snag me, but you must now quench the thirst for providing answers by adopting more of a measured pace and keeping us up-to-date with things as we go along!

Hope this helped. Onwards to 2.1!

Keep it up~ Keep writing!

Cheers,

Pomp x

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:42 pm
BlackhawkUnder wrote a review...

Oh, poor cub =( I hope things change for the beastlings!
Now I'm getting REALLY SUPER curious about what the heck is going on with the beastlings. who is this woman who turned Linna in, and who is this man? Is the woman some sort of spy? is the man a detective? It really hurts me that Linna could be so cruel to a child, even if he is seen as a slave or whatever.
And what is this mysterious gunpowder smell? So many questions! I'm excited for the next chapter! I love the style of your writing. It's detailed and complex and intricate but not so that it's overwhelming. It's just right (in my opinion at least).
Just a few nitpicks here:

You repeat "smoothing/smoothed" in the second and third paragraphs.

There are two spelling mistakes in the 4th paragraph.

You misspelled "returned" in the last paragraph before the second section.

Other than that, everything seemed great to me!

-Hawk out

Auxiira says...

thank you for another review!

Allll shall be anwereeedddddd. But I love the gunpowder stuff too, it started as a quick thing, and now, well now, it's there to stay~

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:09 am
Apricity wrote a review...

Heyo Auxii, Flite here for a review. I didn't review on the previous chapter since you've already got reviews on it. I want to focus on the content and style here rather than the technical aspects. So let's get to it.

The general pace of the chapter isn't bad, however the transition between Linna and the Man was slightly abrupt and there wasn't enough time to truly flesh out the characters or Linna's scene. But given that there is a deadline, this is understandable. Let's take a look at these separate parts, starting with Linna.

Linna's POV opens with a store with books. If his a bookshop then why is there a cub in it? I would have actually liked more descriptions of the environment she was in just to set the mood for the chapter, as well as contextualizing the chapter for the readers.

Smoothing along the pile, she found the bumping of their spines against her fingers soothing.

Smoothing along the pile doesn't sound quite correct, maybe trying 'trailing her fingers down the pile?'

Your prose is quite smooth and natural, but at the same time there's also something lacking in it. In this case, it doesn't invoke any emotion. When the woman was staring at Linna, Linna's frustration and panic I felt could be conveyed better via more imagery. I feel that scene was a great opportunity for you to explore Linna's inner emotions of coming into contact with an ordinary citizen. yet at the same time, her reaction sort of baffled me. This can't be the first time that Linna's been out in the open, she's been hiding for some time now so wouldn't she have mastered some sort of technique of keeping her cool?

Hurrying out from behind the counter, her heart was in her throat, beating faster than she had felt in a long time.

Hmm, I would try and avoid cliche descriptions like this. I think you can write better, use similes, use metaphors. These phases have been used so many times they cease to have any meaning anymore.

Hmm, so Linna has a short temper huh, or at least she can't control her emotions very well if she lashed out at the cub like that. I like that scene, since it shows what Linna is like under stress and anxiety, I want more scenes that show who she is like that.

I will admit that I read this several times trying to figure out who was speaking, and whether it was Linna who slapped he cub or the woman who slapped Linna. >> I just got very confused with the narration there. So what exactly were you trying to express?

At the moment, you've got my interest. You know how to keep your readers interested by feeding the right amount of information, the narration is generally smooth. What I think is amiss here though is a sense of place and emotion, there is a lot of action but there isn't much reflection. We don't get to see a lot of Linna's inner emotions, but even with what we have I can already get a feel of what she's like so I guess you have time to work on that.

This has been a very unhelpful review. If you have any questions or comments, please tell me.

-Flite

Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:18 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...

I have been meaning to review this, so I'm here to review! 8)

First of all, I want to praise you on how you manage to give us interesting bits of information like Linna being envy to the lady who has ringlets. It makes me wonder why she's envious to that degree, and as the story progresses, I find my answers satisfyingly, which means there's no info dumping here. Congrats! :D

Her hair curled around her ear in soft, blonde ringlets and Linna felt a flash of hot jealousy, even though she smiled.

I suggest removing the second comma. I don't think it is needed as it does not need any break there.

I think that after saying she is holding the book, you can refer to the book as "it" to avoid redundancy. "She closed it and smoothed down the cover with a gloved hand, then came to the counter." I dunno why she wears gloves. I think "came" can be changed to "walked" as it gives a better description to what's she doing.

...unconfortable...

"Uncomfortable."

A few more centimetres and she would have been found out, would have been killed.

This is a suggestion, but how about placing the comma with a hyphen? "A few more centimetres and she would have been found out - would have been killed," sounds more urgent.

She took a breath to stablise herself before giving the lady a shakey smile.

"Stabilize" and "shaky".

...ruturned...

"Returned".

The file landed on his desk with a small thump as the woman before him dropped it there with a frustrated frown.

Okay, I find this sentence a bit weird. The file has already landed on his desk, and yet you say "as the woman before him dropped it there" as if she is doing that while the file lands on it. This can't be. I think you should word it differently.

The woman before him dropped it on his desk with a small thump and a frustrated frown.

And that's it! I have learned a new word tonight, whic was "moue"! :D I don't know it's existed, so right there I can see you have a high level of vocabulary.

Okay, so you've divided this part into two - Linna's and The Man's. I wonder why you should do this way? Why can't you erase the bolded Linna and The Man words? You can have a couple blank lines to signify the change of PoV and I think this way is better. You can always always mention Linna in her first sentence to show that this is her PoV.

This story is becoming more interesting, and Linna's character is developing and becoming more real. I like how it's going. Keep up the good job! :D

Auxiira says...

Hey Labrador! Thanks for your awesome review!

I'm surprised at how this turned out with so few mistakes as at first I had no ideas and in the end wrote it in an hour >.>

The lady wears gloves as a sign of higher status (but of course fabricated, seeing as she's the woman in the second section.

I do like the idea of the hyphen.

Stablilise is the british spelling. Shakey is an alternate spelling :P

I agree with your alternate formulating of the sentence, I wasn't sure about it when I typed it.

I could probably separate the two POV's with a solid line rather than skipping lines, but yes. Putting the names was just there as a mental note, almost.

Thank you very much for your review!
Auxii xxx

Lightsong says...

You're welcome!

Stablise has no meaning though. :p

Lightsong says...

You forgot the i. :p

Auxiira says...

... Whoops >.<

Lightsong says...

XD

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:04 am
gema11 says...

I enjoyed reading this piece of the chapter- it definitely caught my interest. Okay. I think your writing is pretty good, but you have to be careful about specifying things. For instance, in the first paragraph of "The Man" section, the phrase "the woman before him dropped it there with a frustrated frown." sound strange, almost as if she is using her frown to drop the paper, not frowing as she is dropping it.
Also, this transition in actions-
" Almost. A few more centimetres and she would have been found out, would have been killed. She closed her eyes and forced herself to breathe normally.

The cub pawed at her ankle as she untied it from the wall. “Sister,” it whispered. “Sister, why?” Without thinking, she lashed out, her foot connecting with its chest. Her fists shook next to her sides." is very confusing. She goes from one moment recovering from a close miss at the counter, to untying the cub. The shift of focus is jarring, and can confuse the reader.

Good writing, though- keep it up!

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus