z

Young Writers Society


12+

Beastling : Chapter 7

by Auxiira


    Walk, don't run. Just keep on walking. She repeated the mantra in her head as she wove through the crowd. It was hard, her limbs itched to run, fast and far. Keeping that side of her in check was hard when she felt cornered. Heart thumping and a need to find safety. Her animal side told itself she was being stalked by a predator, and there wasn't any hope of holding back the rush of panic to her imagination. So she was running. Running from them, running from the city. 

    It hadn't been had to find the gap in their surveillance and she had taken the chance. Grabbed her bag from her room and gone, leaving Helzo a carefully prepared note saying that a family member had suddenly appeared. She wouldn't implicate him. He was family. He didn't even know who she really was, but he had accepted her botched half-story when she had arrived in town. But that didn't matter now. She was leaving him, like she had to leave everywhere and everyone. 

    The crowd thinned as she neared the gates, funnelling into a slow colum that fed itself through the imposing gate that lead out of the city. Her hand settled nervously around the hilt of the knife in her pocket. She'd forgone her usual dres for a pair of trousers and a loose tunic that barely covered her stub of a tail. It made her nervous, feeling how the fabric pressed the fur against her skin, as if she'd be uncovered at any time. She felt it was an invisible hint that would scream out to anyone looking for a hidden beastling. 

    Her rucksack rested on the nub uncomfortably, the weight feeling like it was bending her bones. But it was necessary, she told herself. She just had to change town, go to somewhere more remote, where there was less of an imperial presence, and she would be fine. She didn't even know why she had stayed in the capitol so long – maybe feeling she would be lost in the mass of people, maybe the young her hadn't even thought about it when running the first time.

    From the corner of her eye, she saw a beastling on a collar and instincively shied away, stepping to the edge of the column. She could trace back her disgust of her own kind – of beastlings. She always tried to remind herself that she wasn't one, not in spirit. She wouldn't be the kind of backstabbing scum that sold out a child for the hope of parole.

    Her anxiety loosened as she stepped through the gate, her eyes picking at the few stalls and ramshackle buildings that littered the outside of the wall. She could see people crawling between the houses, but couldn't tell whether they were beastlings or not. After a moment staring, she turned her gaze away. She wouldn't ever be like them anyway. She wouldn't let herself struggle with sanity until she was no longer sure of her own individuality the way they were.

    She knew they had noticed she was gone when a ripple of murmurs spread down the column from the city. It wasn't anything distinct, just the mute exclamation that accompanied a swivelling of heads towards the cause. They were visible straight away. Mounted soldiers. More precisely, the corporal, leading the small patrol out of the city. Clearly he wasn't just a corporal. The soldiers behind him followed his lead, scouring the column earnestly.

    Her heart thumped once; twice. She could feel the panic rising, closing off her airways – shutting down her lungs. Sucking in a breath was proving an impossible task. The leader of the patrol knew what she looked like. She was sure that he could pick her out from the crowd. Those eyes that sucked in the light skimmed nearer and nearer until they touched hers. Her breath stopped.

    She was certain their eyes met. She could feel it. In the same way she was sensitive to the smell of gunpowder, she was sensitive to his gaze, and it raised the hairs on the back of her neck. She couldn't equate his gaze to one of a hawk, if only because she was certain of his humanity. In all other manners, it was just that – a raptor eyeing the mouse it had chosen for its dinner. He smiled lazily and then moved his gaze on.

    A breath rattled into her chest. She felt the release of his stare as sharply as a slap. He had chosen to ignore her, chosen to give her a chance. The anxiety in the pit of her stomach settled, catching the butterflies and locking them away once again. She'd make use of this. Shifting the pack up her shoulders, she ducked her head, pushing further into the migrating crowd of people. She didn't look up to see the soldiers leave. She didn't see the man with the midnight eyes grin at the woman next to him, the exchange of glances that told of a job well done, the predatory gaze that he gave as he turned his head to see where she was going one last time. No, she didn't see any of that. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:34 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Hullo again!

Specifics

1. The first paragraph is a little bit clunky because you have a lot of short sentences and you need just a little more variation. Maybe something like:

Walk, don't run. Just keep on walking. She repeated the mantra in her head as she wove through the crowd but it was hard, her limbs itched to run, fast and far. Keeping that side of her in check was impossible when she felt cornered. Heart thumping; a tearing need to find safety.


2.
It hadn't been had hard to find the gap in their surveillance and she had taken the chance.


3.
The crowd thinned as she neared the gates, funnelling funneling into a slow colum column that fed itself through the imposing gate that lead led out of the city.


4.
From the corner of her eye, she saw a beastling on a collar and instincively instinctively shied away, stepping to the edge of the column.


5.
She knew they had noticed she was gone when a ripple of murmurs spread down the column from the city. It wasn't anything distinct, just the mute exclamation that accompanied a swivelling swiveling of heads towards the cause.
This is slightly awkwardly phrased. I'm not sure at first if it's guards moving their heads trying to find her and looking toward the now empty shop or if it's people's heads turning toward the guards who are starting to search. I think by the end of the paragraph it seems to be the latter but a little clarity would be good here.

Overall

There's a lot of really nice tension in this chapter and we can really feel the sense of the hunter vs the hunted. At first it feels like Linna is in control and one step ahead but by the end we're very certain that the man is actually the victor and there's a nice sense of him toying with her. I'd like to see Linna be a bit more worried when she realises he has seen her but chooses to let her leave - does she question what that means or is she too afraid and relieved to let it prey on her mind yet?

My only other curiosity is where is Linna running to? Is there a gate which she knows she may be able to use to slip out of the town? Is there a building she feels she could scale somewhere to get over the wall undetected? There's not a huge sense at the moment of how the town is enclosed/ guarded, though I'm sure it must be. I want to know Linna's plan and I feel she should be deciding as she runs whether to try and trick the people on the gate or to go for a more sneaky exit.

That might also be a chance for you to spin in a little back-story about how she entered the town - was it easier then? Did she enter as a beastling but manage to get away and disguise her identity or was she hiding who she is even then?

A very nice chapter!

~Heather




User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:08 pm
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Yo Xilla,

We're plugging along aren't we! I like this chapter mostly because she's finally getting out of there. It's definitely about time and I'm pretty pumped for the narrative to really find its feet and begin to have a little more content to it. Not that it doesn't have content now, but it feels like the beginning of a bigger story (of course) so I'm excited to get to the meat of the conflict.

I'm saturated by "she" and "her" in this chapter - I know there's not so many ways you can refer to the one character when they're all you're talking about but I feel it is overwhelming here. What Id suggest is to limit some of them by altering your sentences a little. I'll provide and example.

Her rucksack rested on the nub uncomfortably, the weight feeling like it was bending her bones. But it was necessary, she told herself. She just had to change town, go to somewhere more remote, where there was less of an imperial presence, and she would be fine. She didn't even know why she had stayed in the capitol so long – maybe feeling she would be lost in the mass of people, maybe the young her hadn't even thought about it when running the first time.


can be altered to;
Her rucksack rested on the nub uncomfortably, the weight feeling like it was bending bones. But it was necessary, she told herself. It was time to change towns, go to somewhere more remote, where there was less of an imperial presence, and it would be fine. Why she had stayed in the capitol so long was a mystery – maybe the feeling of being lost in the mass of people, maybe the young Linna hadn't even thought about it when running the first time.


They're very basic alterations that I think take us a little out of that she/her that can be so tricky in single perspective texts. The same thing happens when you have first person present tense, everything gets stuck in I-I-I. It happens a little bit in other chapters but not nearly so noticeable as it is here in chapter 7.

I'm curious as to how long she's been in the city for and how long since she was outside the gates. I wonder this only because it might change her reaction to the outside world in terms of noticing what things look like around her. Of course she's stressed about being caught so she may not be paying attention to too much in the long run.

The introduction of The Man works really nicely here, though I feel that Linna is being a little optimistic in her response to him. It makes me feel sorry and worried for her, so you're doing really well at that aspect! You've got such a strong voice and it comes through nicely with what you're writing, just mind that we don't get saturated by repetition.

As always, I look forward to the next chapter!
- <3




User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 5577
Reviews: 672

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:24 pm
Squall wrote a review...



Hey Aux.

So yea, it's nice to see that Linna is more aware of her surroundings and is trying to be more prudent.

This section isn't bad overall, but at the same time, I feel as though the whole escape seemed somewhat rushed and doesn't have that tension to it. A big reason for that is the whole thing played out too easily; there weren't many hoops and obstacles that she has to be aware of.

In my mind, I imagined the town to be sealed off from the rest of the world (due to the government that this town operates under) and for people to be able to enter or leave the town, they would have to go through various checkpoints to check for security, if they are a beastling or not etc. What about the guards? I would imagine there would be a greater guard + surveillance presence in the town.

These are just a suggestion. Basically, I feel there should be more security around, given that this imperial government is oppressing these beastlings. You want to tighten your security such that there isn't an uprising of the beastlings, and that there isn't any chance of a successful rebellion or terrorist attack happening from people that are against this government's oppression of the beastlings.

Therefore, I don't think it's enough for her to cover up and just walk out of the town while hoping to not get caught. She needs to be more cunning in her escape to avoid these obstacles. Maybe she knows of some secret passages or sewers beneath the city that would lead somewhere outside of the city without getting detected or caught? Maybe she could be smuggled out? (possible option, but you would need to figure out a realistic flaw in the security if you are going for this one).

That's all I have to say. Basically, flesh this out more and consider more of the security of the town and more of the methodology of how she's going to escape. She can't just simply cover up and walk out like that, unless the security in the town is really that lousy.

Additional comment: Oh yea, one more thing to consider. I think Linna should of premediated as to where she should go once she successfully leaves the town, and which route to go. It's not enough to just willy nilly go to some place where imperial forces are few, there would still be other towns under imperial control and patrols and spies running around. I feel like you need to also focus on her developing her plan of escape and where to go first before actually executing the escape. It isn't really vigilant of her if she just leaves with no plan in mind.




User avatar


Points: 585
Reviews: 3

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:44 am
Tarakona wrote a review...



Evening Auxiira,

I must say I find this a very interesting story, and there is very little I would change to this.
However, I agree with Maverick when he stated about the italics for character thoughts. I use italics, or sometimes apostrophes as a type of quotation. Eg. 'Why won't he meet my gaze?' she wondered to herself.
Also, "the capitol"... For some reason, I'm thinking capitol should have a capital c, so it is "the Capitol", unless, of course, the Capitol has another name.
Other than this and a few grammatical errors, this is a well written piece, and the built suspense is something I rather enjoy in a story of this type. Well done. I dare say, this is far better than anything I could write in this genre.

I also apologise for such a short review, but Maverick had done such a good job reviewing, I didn't want to seem repetitive at all.

Kindest regards,
Tarakona




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 1390
Reviews: 31

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:21 am
Maverick wrote a review...



Hello Auxiira! :) I will focus less on plot in this review, since I haven't read the other parts

Walk, don't run. Just keep on walking. She repeated the mantra in her head as she wove through the crowd.


When a story is in third person, I am a fan of putting specific character thoughts in italics. It would work well with the first two ‘sentences’ here, especially since they were labeled as a specific mantra she tells herself. I find it neatens things up, but it’s all personal preference.

It was hard, her limbs itched to run, fast and far.


I’m all for using fragmented sentences stylistically, but comma splices are more of an issue. That first comma should perhaps be just a period or a semi-colon. Even a colon would work here.

Her anxiety loosened[…]


Anxiety loosening is just a weird combination of words to me. Lessened, maybe? Or perhaps the anxiety’s grip on her loosened?

She knew they had noticed she was gone when a ripple of murmurs spread down the column from the city. It wasn't anything distinct, just the mute exclamation that accompanied a swivelling of heads towards the cause.


I just don’t understand the use of “mute exclamation” here. A ripple of murmurs technically isn’t mute, yeah? I guess it kind of is. Hm.

Her heart thumped once; twice. She could feel the panic rising, closing off her airways – shutting down her lungs. Sucking in a breath was proving an impossible task. The leader of the patrol knew what she looked like. She was sure that he could pick her out from the crowd. Those eyes that sucked in the light skimmed nearer and nearer until they touched hers. Her breath stopped.


I feel bad quoting the entire paragraph, but there are a few things I’d like to point out:

- The last sentence is that her breath stopped. However, based on the second and third sentences about her lungs shutting down, it appears her breath has already stopped, so it's sort of redundant.
- Also, I think you don’t really need to add the extra bit about her lungs shutting down. It feels a little too exaggerated, since you already said the airways were closing (which implies that her lungs would have trouble).
- Because I haven’t read anything prior to this, I am unaware about the overall abilities of your characters, but how powerful is the patrol leader’s eyesight that he could pick her out of the crowd so easily? First of all, she’s in a busy crowd, which would make it difficult. She’s also apparently dressed completely different. Also, earlier, if she didn’t want to be noticed more, couldn’t see have wrapped her head in a scarf or something of the like? I think I need to have read more for this to make sense, so I’ll just stop here.

A breath rattled into her chest. She felt the release of his stare as sharply as a slap. He had chosen to ignore her, chosen to give her a chance. The anxiety in the pit of her stomach settled, catching the butterflies and locking them away once again.


Why as sharply as a slap? I don’t get this simile. Also, it's repetitive to constantly be referring to her breathing (or mentioning the anxiety, etc.) in order to describe her state of nervosity.

Okay, so one point I want to make is your use of “she”. Of course, this is the fourth chapter of your novel, so I don’t really have a clue what’s been going on up until this point, but I’m assuming this “she” is your main character and has already been named. In which case, I’m wondering why you choose not to ever mention her name. If it’s a stylistic choice on your part, then so be it. I’m just curious, because to me it would help improve flow by throwing her name in every now and then.

On a more positive note: your language variety is awesome, and I really admire your writing! There is the odd typo though (“capitol”, “dres”), so maybe just go over it one more time.

Continuing on that thought, and this is purely a suggestion, but maybe you could sneak in a tiny bit more description here and there. I understand that leaving it up to the reader’s imagination works, but I don’t think it would hurt to describe your surrounding world a tad more. (When she saw the beastling on the collar, how did it appear to behave, so that it evoked her disgust? Why were the mounted soldiers visible right away? How did the people of the crowd dress?)

In terms of the story, I really like the world of beastlings you have created. Quite interesting! Overall, though, well done! I found it very well written and enjoyed reading it. Keep it up and best of luck :)

Mav





If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France