z

Young Writers Society


12+

Beastling : Chapter 5

by Auxiira


    Linna sat curled on her bed, a dry trickle of red tracing a bloody path down her cheek. Tracing it with a finger, she felt her way up to the scab forming around the base of her ear. Her gaze landed on the discarded razor next to her small washbasin, tracked the droplets of crimson from it to the bed. If only it were that simple. She fingered the old cuts on her ears, the ones that she left after every attempt to remove them. The one that made its way a quarter of the way across her ear, only because she had been so high she hadn't felt the pain.

    She felt no shame at the cuts. They weren't marks of sorrow. They were marks of desperation and hatred, yes, but not of sorrow. She clawed at them, digging her nails into her skin until the pain jolted through her. With a sharp breath, she sat upright, ignoring the wave of headiness that overtook her for a second, blotting her vision. Teetering over to her wash basin, she picked up a damp cloth and dabbed at the trail of blood down her cheek until it left. Once she was done, she picked up the discarded razor and dropped it in the basin, dribbling water over it and watching the red-tinged water trickle down the hole.

    Her gaze darted across the room to the rucksack standing in the corner. Whatever happened, she knew that that allowed her to leave on a moments notice - to disappear from the shop. It was her security, more than her alertness, more than anything, the fact that she could go if she needed enveloped her in a ball of heady calm. It dulled her, maybe, but she needed it.

    Checking her appearance in the small mirror, she fixed her hat on her head again, pinning her ears to her head tight enough to make the newly formed scab crack. The pain brought a roll of relief. They were hidden. She was safe. One breath to push it all away. She smoothed her skirts and hid her fear away. She'd let it out another time, when it was stale and mundane.

    Stepping down the stairs, the dusty scent of gunpowder still lingered, long after the corporal had left. Through the tinted windowpanes, she could see the streetlights slowly coming to life with a gentle click and flicker, leaving dark shadows in the unlit corners. One of the shadows shifted slightly, and her sharp eyes picked out the form of a man. Staring a few seconds longer, she noted a glint at his collar and crisp folds in the fabric he wore and stepped backwards. She didn't stop moving until she was hidden by the curtain separating the storeroom from the rest of the shop.

    Soldier. Guard. The word whispered its way into every recess of her mind, anchoring itself into the sandbed she had constructed to keep the fear at bay. She could feel the fact that her street was being guarded permeate her defenses and form a sinkhole, dragging everything away until there was nothing but a raw, quivering ball of terror hiding from the world. She sucked in a breath. Her mind had added everything she knew together, even if her conscience hadn't followed.

    The corporal visiting the shop. The guard in the street. The rutting smell of gunpowder that still lingered everywhere like a bad spell. Maybe the Lady with the cub who smelt like the bloody stuff. Were they tracking her? Did they already know that she wasn't human or were they just scoping the area out to try and find people like her? She couldn't be sure, she couldn't tell, and her instincts were telling her to run. To run now and to not come back. But, the part of her that had kept its rationale reasoned, if she left, then they would know that it was her, that she had had something to hide. Better to wait and see. To watch them watching her and learn. That was how she survived. She learned.

    A breath rattled around her chest. She sat on a crate of boxes. After a few seconds, she stood shakily and took stock of the books that were around her. The worlds she lost herself in. The heroes and heroines she loved. They were scared sometimes. They used that fear. She didn't trust herself to use it. She wasn't in a story. She was a coward, and she definitely wasn't having an adventure. So she'd watch them. Figure out what they were doing. Find a way to escape.  


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:15 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Short segment - definitely a little too short. I'll try and think of some ways you could pad it out while I read through.

Specifics

1. The repetition of tracing in the first two lines needs to go - it's not a common enough word for the repeat to go unnoticed. Maybe the first tracing could be replaced with 'running' or 'streaking' or even 'scraping' or 'cutting' to add more violent connotations.

2.

With a sharp breath, she sat upright, ignoring the wave of headiness that overtook her for a second, blotting her vision. Teetering over to her wash basin, she picked up a damp cloth and dabbed at the trail of blood down her cheek until it left.
Maybe vary your sentence structure a little here. Perhaps 'she teetered to her wash basin and dabbed away at her bloody cheek until it was clean.' would work as the second sentence - shorter and active instead of passive. The next sentence which follows is long as well so it would be good to have a shorter one to break them up.

3.
Her gaze darted across the room to the rucksack standing in the corner. Whatever happened, she knew that that it allowed her to leave on a moment's notice - to disappear from the shop.


Overall

This is a very nice section and it's good to see Linna's desperation and her fear but I think you needed to carry it on. Does she decide to stay in the store and either begin organising the books or sit and start reading one or does she go out anyway, work out which is the least guarded exit and start to put plans in place for if she needs to leave? I think a lot of times you end a chapter on your character's thoughts but I'd rather see their reaction and to see them take the next step. I think it would give us a clearer sense of their personalities and make the story feel a little less 'stop and start'.

There's good emotion in this section and the scars tell us a lot about Linna's perseverance as well as her coping methods and how tough her past has been. We get the feeling that this isn't the first time she has felt like she was about to be exposed or the first time she has run away. And that's good. I'd like to see her leave the store though - we've come quite a ways through the novel and so far, as far as I'm concerned, Linna is still at scene one. She has only ever had a chapter inside the store and the setting isn't holding my attention any more and it feels like most of this could have been folded into three chapters - Linna being visited by the woman, then the woman and the man talking and the man going to see Linna at the store - maybe you could even try re-writing that from his point of view? - then Linna's reaction to his visit. There's not enough here for five chapters so it either needs some strong padding or for the chapters to be pressed together and the gaps closed off. I'm leaning toward the latter being the better option.

All the best,

~Heather




User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:08 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hey Xillabobilla,

This is such a great slip into Linna's psyche and the awful way she hates herself and you've done it really well, I feel for her in waves rather than drabs.

I think things happen too quickly in your chapters. You've got your pacing down in terms of the order things happen in and the spaces between them, but I think when those things happen they kind of flash by almost suddenly? This chapter flashes by very easily. I know you've kind of indicated this is filler material, but it really isn't, it's a really legit part of a chapter (though you'd probably not make a whole chapter out of it). I'm kind of desperate to see a little more of the world from her eyes. Is her bed nicely made or ratty, what colour are her walls, does she have a window? I know it's all pretty silly and probably not important and you might be reading this thinking 'why does penny always pay attention to the wrong things???' but they're things that distracted me, in that I want to know them.

We needed this development of Linna's character in a way that wasn't so jumbled with her internal thoughts. The jumble handles a little bit in that final paragraph, but the beginning is really nicely done and I think you ought to be pleased about it.

As always I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
<3




Auxiira says...


I think my previous chapter numbering may have made more sense in terms of content >.> I will rework these chapters if I get time / around to it, and yeah, I'll add a bit more description~ (I'll try and do that in the next chapters I write >.>)

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by jumbling?





Hahaha omg I wrote this when I was a little tired. I was talking more about the sense of rambling? there's a good 'being overwhelmed' thing going but sometimes it slides a little too far and I feel it just rambles on a little too much?



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:28 pm
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm back to review for the Review Day! :D

The corporal visiting the shop. The guard in the street. The rutting smell of gunpowder that still lingered everywhere like a bad spell.


I think all these cases can be formed together with a semicolon. "The corporal visiting the shop; the guard in the street; and the rutting smell of gunpowder still lingering everywhere like a bad spell."

Maybe the Lady with the cub who smelt like the bloody stuff.


I don't think you should capitalize the word "lady" unless it's an official title. If it is, you should mention so.

But, the part of her that had kept its rationale reasoned, if she left, then they would know that it was her, that she had had something to hide.


This one can be broken down. "But the part of her that had kept its rationale reasoned. If she left, they would know it was her and that she had something to hide." I don't think the double "had" is needed.

Urgh, Linna's determination to be as similar as human is really saddening, with the cuts she has made to herself. It really speaks volume as to how determined she is. You just have this hurtful description of her clawing and digging her nails into her skin that this scene really stands out from the others just because of her unusual it is. I wonder how her ears look like after that. You didn't mention that one.

Anyway, this simple act from Linna speaks volume of her character, and this is what needed by Jamin from the previous chapter. There's action that is better than streams of thought because there are so many interpretations can be made from it about the character's personality. Here, for example, Linna is desperate and hate her own people.

I like how Linna has the doubts that corporal might know she's a beastling. It means she's not going to go into their trap that easily. The line "To watch them watching her and learn." would definitely lead to different things, hopefully exciting things, that would not end up as Linna being in their custody and has them do anything they want to her. I also hope she would meet Jamin. Their conversation with each other would be interesting indeed.

That is all. Keep up the good job! :D





Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss