Silence- A Bucky Songfic

by AngelLily

Yeah, I’d rather be a lover than a fighter

‘Cause all my life, I’ve been fighting

Never felt a feeling of comfort

All this time, I’ve been hiding

Bucky’s steel blue eyes scanned the dark and empty streets. He pulled his hood over his head, looked both ways, and sprinted across the street. He sure hoped the Hydra agents hadn’t tracked him here. As he walked along the sidewalk, he fingered his gun and tried to listen to anything suspicious. Every little noise caused Bucky to jump or tighten his grip on his gun. The rustling of those leaves by the Post Office. That dog’s bark by 4th street. The soft thumps of combat boots coming toward him. Wait, what? Bucky slowly edged toward the person as he sneaked in the shadows. A figure began to form under the flickering lamppost, and Bucky jumped out, his gun pointed toward them.

“Show yourself.” Bucky said as the figure stepped into the light.

“Take my money, just please, don’t hurt me.”

Bucky saw that it was a lady, about 26, and he felt bad for threatening her. He lowered his gun and clicked it back into his holster.

“Sorry.” Bucky said walking toward her. “I thought you were someone else.”

She scanned his features, and her eyes fell upon his glimmering metal arm. Bucky tried to hide his arm behind him, not wanting to scare her more.

“You’re the Winter Soldier.” She said as Bucky slightly nodded.

“You’re going to report me, aren’t you?” Bucky asked, his voice quiet.

“No, I know you won’t hurt me. You need somewhere to hide, don’t you?”

Bucky stood there, not moving, his eyes glued to the floor. He heard the jingling of keys and looked up.

“Come on. You can stay at my place for a while.”

“Wh-what? Me? I just had a gun pointed at your heart!” Bucky said, clearly surprised.

“People make mistakes. Besides, I would’ve shot you first.” Lily said revealing her hidden pistol. “So are you coming or not?”

And I never had someone to call my own, oh nah

I’m so used to sharing

Love only left me alone

But I am one with the silence

Bucky entered the small apartment. He was a little tense about entering a stranger’s place. He stood in the doorway, unsure where to go.

“Go ahead, make yourself at home. I’m Lily, by the way.” She said with a smile.

“Bucky.” He mumbled, as he slowly entered the living room.

He took in his surroundings, his blue eyes scanning everything. He was about to take another step when a blur zoomed past his feet. He stumbled back, and his hand went straight to his gun.

“Wait! Sorry. That’s just my kitten, Dunlop.” Lily said picking up the tiny black kitten. “I should’ve told you.”

“It’s fine.” He said quietly.

“You don’t talk much do you?” Lily said as Bucky slightly nodded. “Well, I’ll go get some new clothes for you.”

Bucky raised a quizzical eyebrow as Lily face palmed.

“Sorry, that must have sounded weird. I have some of my older brother’s stuff here, and his clothes look your size, and I thought you might like a shower. Not because you smell or anything, but— “

“A shower would be nice.” He said, his voice low, but soft.

“I’ll go get those clothes.” Lily said walking away.

“Well, she’s cute. Right, Dunlop?” Bucky asked looking at the tiny kitten.

The kitten’s round green eyes stared up at him, and Dunlop meowed.

“And now I’m talking to a cat.” Bucky sighed.

I found peace in your violence

Can’t tell me there’s no point in trying

I’m at one, and I’ve been quiet for too long

Bucky lay on the couch and watched the blades of the fan spin. His thoughts were bouncing rapidly in his brain. He really didn’t want to put Lily in danger. What if Hydra found him here? Knowing Hydra, they would probably kill her. He let out a huff and ran his hand through his brown locks. Lily was one of the only people who had shown him kindness. He found a weird sense of peace with her and her little cat, Dunlop. He didn’t want to leave this little paradise of peace and get thrown into the chaotic world he was used to.

I found peace in your violence

I’m at one, and I’ve been silent for too long

I’ve been quiet for too long

I’ve been quiet for too long

Dunlop meowed at the thinking man on the couch and stared at him with wide green eyes. Bucky turned toward the tiny creature and pet his soft head.

“What do you think I should do?” Bucky asked as Dunlop tilted his cute head. “Hydra might find me here and hurt Lily. Then again, there’s a chance they might not, and I could stay here for a while in this bliss. I don’t remember the last time I’ve felt like this. Loved that is. Is it right for me to jeopardize Lily’s safety?”

Dunlop pounced onto the couch and stood on top of Bucky’s stomach. The kitten went in a few circles and curled up on Bucky’s stomach. With a tiny yawn, Dunlop closed his eyes and began purring.

“I’ll take it you want me to stay.” Bucky said scratching Dunlop behind the ears.

Bucky sighed and started watching the fan blades again. He didn’t want Lily to know what horrible things Hydra had done to him, but he wasn’t sure if he could hold back the memories that were screaming to be let out.

I found peace in your violence

I’m in need of a savior, but I’m not asking for favors

Bucky gasped as he woke up. A thin sheet of sweat covered his body, and his blanket was tangled around his form. He took a few deep breaths before he realized that he was safe. The nightmares were getting worse every day that his screaming mind remained unheard. He didn’t want to admit it, but he was drowning in a sea of horrific memories.

“Bucky, you’re awake.” Lily said entering the living room. “You okay?”

Bucky untangled himself from his blanket and shot her a weak smile. “I’m fine.”

Lily looked unsure, but quickly put on a smile. “Well, I made breakfast, if you want any.”

Bucky nodded and followed Lily to the kitchen. The aroma of bacon, eggs, and hash browns filled Bucky’s nose and caused his stomach to growl. His hand quickly went to his stomach and his cheeks tinted pink in embarrassment. Lily laughed and, boy, her laugh sounded like heaven. He felt happiness wash over his body, and a genuine smile graced his features.

“Let’s give you some breakfast, shall we?” Lily said getting out some plates. “I saw Dunlop slept with you last night.”

“Uh, yeah. He’s a really sweet kitten.” Bucky said as Lily dished out the food.

Bucky sat down at the table and took time to really look at Lily. Her long, brown hair was pulled into a messy bun, and she was still in her pajamas. As she handed him his plate, he noticed how her eyes seemed to radiate with joy.

“Thank you.” He said softly as he picked up his fork.

He didn’t want to make those beautiful, brown eyes swirl with horror and sadness if he told her his story. He didn’t want to be selfish and throw on his extra weight of fear, so he decided he could muffle his screeching memories a bit longer.

My whole life, I’ve felt like a burden

I think too much, and I hate it

I’m so used to being in the wrong, I’m tired of caring

Loving never gave me a home, so I’ll sit here in the silence

Bucky closed the bathroom door and sighed as he looked in the mirror. His brown hair fell to his shoulders, and his steel blue eyes looked troublesome. His metal arm reflected the bathroom lights, and he stared at the bright red star on his shoulder. It was a reminder that he would never be free. A reminder that he was a monster, and a burden to anyone who took him in. Love. He wanted it. A feeling of comfort and being able to laugh without fear itching at the back of your neck. He heard the screams getting louder in his mind. His memories were trying to claw their way out like rabid animals.

“No, stop.” Bucky said taking a deep breath.

The silence to any one else was silence, but to Bucky, it was an opportunity for his mind to abuse him. He tried covering his ears, desperate to make the mocking voices of his head go away, but they just got louder.

“No! Stop, please.” Bucky pleaded as the war between his mind and himself continued.

An aching in his heart grew. He needed to let it out. But how? He frantically searched the bathroom for a pencil and paper. His shaking hands wildly opened and closed cabinets and drawers. His hands fumbled across a notebook and pen in the bottom drawer. At last! He scribbled down everything. The fear, the torture, the assassinations, the screaming, everything! Tears trickled down his face as he jotted his memories down. He needed to let it out. It felt like a fire was burning in his brain. Page after page, his memories flooded them.

I found peace in your violence

Finally, he finished the last sentence. His eyes scanned the last page and he broke out into a sob. His tears splashed onto the lined pages and he sat in the bathroom, the silence ripping through him.

“Bucky?” Lily asked from the other side of the door. “Are you alright?”

Alright? He couldn’t begin to describe the unimaginable agony he was feeling right now. He swung open the door and engulfed Lily in a huge hug. He choked out sobs and was soaking her shirt. She wrapped her arms around the trembling man as he began muttering things. After a while, he started to calm down, taking in shaky breaths slowly.

“I’m sorry.” Bucky said quietly. “They were becoming too much.”

“Was it Hydra?” Lily asked.

I found peace in your violence

Can’t tell me there’s no point on trying

I’ve been quiet for too long

I’ve been quiet for too long

“I have to go.” Bucky said clipping his gun into his holster.

“Why?” Lily asked as Bucky started lacing his boots.

“It’s too dangerous for me to stay here. I-I don’t want you getting hurt. Hydra is still out there, and they won’t stop ‘till they find me.” Bucky said staring into her eyes. “You’ve been very kind, and I thank you, but I can’t pay you back by having you shot in the chest.”

“At least take this bag.” Lily said grabbing the black backpack by the couch. “It has a change of clothes and some other essentials.”

“Thank you.” Bucky said throwing it over his shoulder. “Your kindness is the first I’ve had in a long time. Take care.”

Then, giving Lily and Dunlop one last glance good-bye, he walked out the door. The silence didn’t hurt as much, but he knew he was still dangerous. He hoped a better future lay ahead. The soft thumps of his combat boots were soon unnoticeable as he walked away.

I found peace in your violence

Lily watched as Bucky walked away, and she sighed as he faded away. She walked into the bathroom and noticed his notebook. Curious, she began reading though it. Her eyes welled with tears as she read the horrible things Hydra did to Bucky. Her eyes scanned the last page and she began to cry more as she read the last line. I found peace in a girl named Lily, but I don’t think our paths were meant to cross; my life has been way to terrifying for an angel like her to flutter into my life, so I must leave her and stay in the silence.

——————-

Song is Silence by Marshmello

Tue May 12, 2020 5:24 am
ReviewBuddy wrote a review...

Hey friend! I'm here to give a review as requested. I'll be using the Review Sandwich Method! :)

Bread: Great Parts

Song incorporation - the use of the song was clever to add into this fan fiction! I've never seen that, and I thought the way it was formatted made it really clear what was happening. It felt a little like the piece was set within a movie with the song playing in the background and it created good mood for the story.

Characterization - I think a hard part of any fan-fiction is nailing the characters, because they're already established, so you don't want them to do things that are "out of character" or it'll throw off the whole story. That being said, I thought you did a great job of staying true to the characters characteristics while also adding your own unique plot elements. Nice work!

Meat: Areas for Improvement

Dialogue - I think for the most part you did a nice job of establishing character within your dialogue, and for the most part I could follow it, but there were a lot of times you left out dialogue tags where it got a little confusing. Also I noticed that it didn't necessarily feel very natural in the dialogue chunks, but more like things to move the plot along. Part of the problem I think is that the dialogue had so many questions. Adding variety might be helpful here! Not only vary whether you're asking questions / describing, but also the length of the dialogue chunks, and emotional tone of the conversations.

Descriptions - You did a nice job of incorporating so many senses into your descriptions of the scenes! That's a great way to make the scene come a live. There was one part I felt was a little awkward:

His hand quickly went to his stomach and his cheeks tinted pink in embarrassment. Lily laughed and, boy, her laugh sounded like heaven. He felt happiness wash over his body, and a genuine smile graced his features.

^ I think that the emotional shift is so intense that it makes it feel kind of awkward to read. Kind of like when you see someone laughing set to sad music. There wasn't enough room to track with the emotional changes from hunger, to embarrassment, humor, then happiness.

It also seemed to be sort of recurring that all of your emotion descriptors felt very life or death intensity, which felt almost too extreme. Try to give the reader a little bit of a break with the intensity level there; or work on showing rather than telling. Rather than telling "The character was horrified" -> just show that they were, "The character grimaced their face in response" -> it's all about working in those descriptions naturally instead of forcing them. I know you can do it, since you have a good sense of getting in those ambient details though! :)

Bread: Overall Interpretation

Overall I thought the story had decent pacing. Plot-wise I felt like there could have been more background on Lily for the context. It was an interesting dive into the emotions behind Bucky though that I think many marvel fans would enjoy reading.

Hope this helped! Keep writing!

- RB

Necromancer14 wrote a review...

Well! This was rather interesting. I haven't read many fan-fictions.

Here's my review:

First of all, I found it interesting with the song lyrics in the background. It helped convey the mood nicely, and I liked it. Also, the whole thing was very emotional, so that was also good. I don't remember Bucky craving human attention and love so much in the movies, but that was an interesting perspective that you added.

Bucky saw that it was a lady, about 26, and he felt bad for threatening her.

A lady around 26? There's lots of ladies in their twenties that capable killers in the marvel universe. I would maybe describe that she seemed like a HARMLESS lady around 26, not just a lady around 26.

Who is she? You don't say. Unless she already knows him or was commissioned by captain america or something, that seems unrealistic that she would just take him into her home.

It was a reminder that he would never be free. A reminder that he was a monster, and a burden to anyone who took him in. Love. He wanted it. A feeling of comfort and being able to laugh without fear itching at the back of your neck. He heard the screams getting louder in his mind. His memories were trying to claw their way out like rabid animals

This part was super descriptive! Nice.

Well, that's my review! I hope it was helpful.

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:00 am
ShallowHouse wrote a review...

HI, ANGEL!

I love what you did in this short story! You really humanized Bucky in a way not shown in any movie he was in! The theme of silence mixing in with the song and the bathroom scene! Everything felt like a short film!

Lily, who is she? Part of some secret intelligence? If not, how does she know of The Winter Soldier, deadliest assassin in the world?

That's my only question! I want to meet this Dunlop and pet him! I want to read more from you and keep stanning Sebastian Stan! <3 <3 <3

Wishing you the best,
ShallowHouse

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:16 am
Clairia wrote a review...

Hello, there! I'm Clairia, here to review as requested.

Inserting song lyrics into your work is such a cool idea. I've never been able to pull it off successfully--but you certainly have! The scattered sections of "Silence" fit the general mood of your piece quite well, and you were able to make it flow in a way that didn't bother me in the least. You seem to pay special attention to detail in regards to tone, and your efforts in doing so certainly paid off.
Unfortunately, in terms of accuracy in your portrayal of the character, I won't be able to give much feedback :( I don't know too much about the Marvel universe, but I keep seeing it everywhere! Maybe this is the world's way of telling me to dive into a new fandom.
However, in surveying this piece as a whole, I found a couple things that I wanted to include in my review.

Commas
You do seem to have a little trouble with placing commas where they shouldn't be/not adding them where they should be. Here are a couple examples:

As he walked along the sidewalk, he fingered his gun, and tried to listen to anything suspicious.

The comma after "red" needs to be removed. Note that you're attempting to explain to the reader that your protagonist is doing one thing AND something else. Separating the two suggests that the actions are unrelated.

He lowered his gun, and clicked it back into his holster.

The same applies here.

He was about to take another step, when a blur zoomed past his feet.

Again, you're not separating anything here. By adding the comma, you're making the sentence chunky and forcing a pause into it that isn't exactly necessary. Remember that you're aiming for your words to flow.

Sentence Structure
Sort of going off of what I said earlier, flow is key in writing of all kinds. Typically you want your writer to move with your piece and not get stuck in sticky sentences. Let's break down a specific one that caught my eye:
Bucky entered the small apartment, and he was a little tense about entering a stranger’s place.

The "and" can be removed here, as I think the best thing for you to do is separate the sentences or join them with a semicolon. Here are two revised versions of the previous quote for you to look over.

Revised #1
Bucky entered the small apartment. He was a little tense about entering a stranger’s place.

Revised #2
Bucky entered the small apartment; he was a little tense about entering a stranger’s place.

Though both options work well, #1 (in my opinion) would suit your piece better. I'd suggest checking out this article to get a better handle on sentence structure as a whole.

Overall, I really loved this. The soft, subtle friendship mixed with the protagonist's tortured past made for a saddening yet heartwarming piece. You're a great writer and I simply can't wait to see more from you in the future <3

Thanks for sharing (and happy writing!)

Clairia

AngelLily says...

I%u2019ll fix that. Thanks for the review!

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:34 am
AngelLily says...

I’m thinking about doing more of these songfics, so if you have a Marvel character or a song, just request it here or on my wall!

LadyMysterio says...

BUCKY!!!! I will review when I finish my school!

Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.
— John Green