Home » Literary works » Other » Dramatic

My Great Savior

by AngelLily

The inky darkness swallowed me like a whale. Everywhere I turned, it was the same. It lay heavy on me like a weight, and I felt the darkness take the air out of my lungs. Gasping for breath, I tried to find a way out of this black abyss I was trapped in, but my legs collapsed beneath me. I sunk to the floor, tears streaming down my face; the darkness slowly seeping into my heart.

Crying out into the abyss, I hoped someone would hear me. I heard clanging, but it was just the heavy chains that were wrapped around me. The chains tightened against me and began to constrict my throat. Letting out my final plea for help, the last of my air left.

Suddenly, a bright light emerged from out of the darkness. I felt my lungs fill with oxygen once more, and my chains began to break. Out of the magnificent light, I saw a person. His light and grace beyond description. He slowly edged toward me, and I felt my eyes begin to well with tears again. He crouched beside me and stretched out his hand. I shakily lifted my hand and grasped him.

He smiled and helped me out of the remains of my chains, and I stood with greater strength. A sense of purpose filled my chest, and I felt his love embrace me. I fell at his feet, but not of exhaustion or fear, but of great thankfulness and joy. I laughed in joy, tears of happiness streaming down my face because my elder brother, Jesus Christ, pulled me out of the darkness and into the light.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:25 pm
SpunkyKitty says...

<3 This is beautiful!

AngelLily says...

Thank you

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:15 am
Ailah2005 wrote a review...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this so much. Thank you so incredibly much for sharing.

This is so beautifully written and... it’s just so beautifully done. I love how every single sentence is just so symbolic and so special.

My favourite part is “ I fell at his feet, but not of exhaustion or fear, but of great thankfulness and joy. I laughed in joy, tears of happiness streaming down my face because my elder brother, Jesus Christ, pulled me out of the darkness and into the light.”

I love how use use opposites. In the beginning, you feel like “ The inky darkness swallowed me like a whale.” but by the end, you are crying tears of joy. This shows the progression of the story, but also a literal representation of your journey of being brought into the light by Jesus Christ.

Ailah

AngelLily says...

Thank you so much!

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:52 am
NastyMajesty says...

<3<3<3

AngelLily says...

%uD83D%uDE01

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:13 am
Calandra wrote a review...

Greetings.

I am not a very religious person, but I'll give this a go. It's always great to learn more about other people and what they believe. If I do say anything that doesn't really make sense, please point that out, but that's most likely due to my own beliefs.

Hmm, is "The inky darkness swallowed me like a whale" a reference to Jonah and how he spent three days inside of a rather large fish? If so, that was a smart little move there. If it wasn't, it definitely seems like it, so maybe reword that bit.

In some lights, this seems like it's full of imagery that's similar to what depression feels like. The darkness, the abyss, etc. I've seen that a lot in poetry and literature. The idea behind this is hidden, and that's not a terrible thing most times, but as is currently I'm unsure if I should bring in more religious similarities I've seen or go for the depression idea.

This was beautiful though.

Cal

AngelLily says...

Thanks

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss