z

Young Writers Society



Between Shades of Gray

by AmeliaCogin


It is very rare to find a book which occupies your thoughs all day, every day. A book which is so captivating, it transports you, takes you on a journey, and you never, ever want that journey to end. A book in which you connect so deeply with the main character, you cry for her, sympathise with her.



I believe I have found the rarest gem of them all.



Between Shades of Gray is a first-person narrative. Lina, a fifteen year-old-girl, is taken from her home in war-time Lithuania with her mother and brother. Lina's family is seperated from her father, and the hope of seeing him alive once again spurrs her on, envigorates her to keep living. It is that same hope, aswell as first love, which keeps Lina alive and sane amidst death and violence.



This book was wonderful. Simply wonderful. It hasn't a flaw. It has moved me in a way I didn't know a book could. I would recommend it to anyone. It was magnificent. The author is Ruta Sepetys. Check it out!



~ Amelia


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 1998
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:16 pm
TheButtonWorks wrote a review...



Oh. Your review alone is quite enough to make me add this to my reading list.

This reminds me of another, quite different story I've read - Nicholas and Alexandra. I don't remember the author's name, but it was a story about the last royal family of Russia. And how the Tsarevich's (the prince's) illness was connected to the Russian Revolution. It's the 'other side' of History, the stuff we aren't taught.

This novel you speak of - Between Shades of Grey - is a historical family novel, isn't it? Or is it a historical romance? It doesn't matter. I'm a sucker for both genres. :D




User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 1753
Reviews: 19

Donate
Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:42 pm
JustMeNathalie says...



I totally agree! I just read Between Shades of Gray and I thought it was amazing. It's such a great book.

~JustMe





Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
— Carl Sandburg