z

Young Writers Society



Your presence just has that effect on me

by LemonyIce


It's never been easy for me
to tell anyone how I feel.

But if I could show you
the kaleidoscope of butterflies
that appear in my stomach
every time I look into your eyes;

if I could make you listen
to my heart beats racing
every time I see you;

if I could make you feel
the knots my stomach twists itself into
every time you touch me;

if I could make you see
that warm, happy smile
I love so much,
and those eyes that shine
brighter than the shooting stars I wish upon
every night;

then maybe, just maybe,
you would understand
the weakness in my knees
and the emptiness in my head
every time I feel your presence.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 927
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:03 pm
subtleenigma19 wrote a review...



Hey :3
Great poem, you've described it the feelings of the lovesick perfectly, and it's something most people can relate to.

Another great thing is that you've put the feelings into very clear sentences and used words very well, which makes it easy for a reader to go with the flow of the poem.

I like the fact that there are no unnecessary embellishments. Also, there are no rough edges which make the poem sound awkward.

To improve, you could add to the poem and put some other feelings and even try to think of emotions that people don't normally talk about it poems. For instance, something very un-cliché, that people would read and realise for the first time.

Also, you could change the word 'emptiness' in the last stanza because it doesn't sound that right.

Can't wait to read your next one!




User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 776
Reviews: 22

Donate
Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:14 pm
OliviaWhoWrites says...



Awww this poem is so sweet!!! For me, I felt like this poem put a refreshing twist on a cliche romance poem. "the kaleidoscope of butterflies," line was definitely my favorite.




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 7350
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm
chancesnchanges wrote a review...



Hi! LemonyIce..

Your piece delivered a feeling of a person who is liking or loving someone, secretly.
You have a cute description that makes us relate to it. Especially, when it's just you who know it. The more that you pretend to act normal and the more that you take control of yourself..
But sometimes the question is -- How long can you conceal it?

Anyways, nice poem..
Keep going..

ll
U




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 25

Donate
Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:37 pm
View Likes
nomadpenguin wrote a review...



It's a lovely little poem, but there are just a few things you could improve on.

The first and second stanzas are great.

The third and fourth stanzas seem a little lackluster in comparison to the previous two. In the second stanza, you take a cliche and insert kaleidoscope imagery, which was very good. I think the third and fourth stanzas could be much better if you introduced images to go along with every cliche. The same goes for the last stanza. Also, I'm not sure if it's wise to talk about the stomach in two different stanzas in the same poem.

I really like this poem, but it could be so much better if you made it consistent in its use of imagery.




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 1048
Reviews: 7

Donate
Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 pm
BilbosToes wrote a review...



Just wow. I think this poem just summed up my "love" life perfectly.
I love your play on clichés, with the butterflies and weak knees, because you have made them seem fresher and more up to date with the use of "kaleidoscope" and such...
Also, the lack of rhyme makes it seem more personal as it's exactly like a teenage girl would feel (I should know... I am one :D)

The first two lines especially, are a nice touch. It seems very personal, and I like how you've created a voice for your speaker :)

One thing, and I know it's not you but it's going to annoy me (typo's do that..)
*stomach.
sorry :') It's all brilliant!





Besides, if you want perfection, write a haiku. Anything longer is bound to have some passages that don't work as well as they might.
— Philip Pullman