z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

-=The Sorting Hat=-

by Dracula


My quiz isn't perfect, so you might not like your result, but please comment and tell me which house you were placed in!

Professor McGonagall appears beside you, "Come, come, we haven't got all evening," She manages to push you through the gigantic wooden doors into the Great Hall, even though you're frozen with fear.

Seemingly hundreds of students are seated at four tables. While you and the other first years are walking up to the front, they begin singing a song...

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

As you stand in a line with the other students in the hall, you glance up at the ceiling. It seems to be made of glass; you stare in awe at the galaxies and stars which shelter you. Losing yourself in the beautiful surroundings of the night sky, floating candles and numerous delightful banners, you don't notice the first student stepping forwards to be sorted.

"[Your name]!" Professor McGonagall shouts for the second time, "Please come up to the podium!"

You snap out of your daydreaming and cringe with embarrassment, seeing that all the students are staring at you. You run up to stand beside the Professor and look at her, awaiting further instruction.

"Now, as it had an unfortunate boxing match with Peeves, the Sorting Hat is currently unfit to attend." McGonagall looks down at you, explaining the situation, "Instead, I will ask you a series of questions. Your answers will determine which house you are placed in."

You force an excited smile, though your stomach feels like it's so full of butterflies that it's going to implode!

"Question one," She begins...

[Note your answers.]

1. Which class sounds most appealing?

a. Charms b. Herbology c. Astronomy d. Defence Against The Dark Arts

2. You see a student being attacked by a troll, do you...

a. Approach the troll and fight it. b. Stay by the student and defend them.

c. Abandon them and get away. d. Carefully trap the troll.

3. Which animal takes your fancy?

a. Acromantula b. Salamander c. Ferret d. Wolf

4. Someone has been stealing your galleons, taking a few each night. What do you do?

a. Put them in a chest and use a locking spell. b. Hide them and let the matter pass.

c. Put a tracking spell on the coins. d. Curse the coins with something painful.

5. If you could choose a super power...

a. Infinite knowledge b. Invisibility c. 200 miles per hour speed d. The ability to heal anything

6. You see your friend cheating on their OWLs, how do you react?

a. Report it straight away. b. They're your friend, you won't tell.

c. You're the one cheating. d. Nudge your friend then alert a teacher if they don't stop.

7. You find a chest abandoned in a forest, what do you take?

a. A sword encrusted with rubies. b. Take nothing, you're not a thief.

c. Grab the whole chest and all its contents. d. An old scroll of parchment.

Professor McGonagall smiles down at you, "Very good. You're finished."

"What... what house am I in?" You ask nervously, your voice shaking.

[Calculate your results below]

(The letters are in order (a, b, c, d) so all you need to do is keep a tally of the number of each letter you picked.)

1. G H R S

2. G H S R

3. S H R G

4. R G S H

5. R H G S

6. G H S R

7. G H S R

Mostly G: GRYFFINDOR!

Mostly R: RAVENCLAW!

Mostly S: SLYTHERIN!

Mostly H: HUFFLEPUFF!

Professor McGonagall gently places her hand on your back and turns you around so that you're facing the whole school. You feel the eyes of all your future classmates on you. But it doesn't frighten you, these people will become you friends. Hogwarts will become your home.

The galaxies and stars beam down on you as the Professor addresses not only you, but everyone, "Let me introduce, [Your name], the newest addition to [Your house]!"

The school erupts with applause, mainly from your house, and it echoes for at least a minute. The Professor pushes you slightly forward and you proudly go and sit down at your house's table, being swamped by handshakes and claps on the back.

You know you're going to enjoy yourself here.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 28
Reviews: 1

Donate
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:47 pm
Supe4Natural says...



Welp... 4243122... so, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Hufflepuff.

I've always identified as Hufflepuff, so it's a relief to be placed there via your quiz. I'm curious, have you noticed that Slytherin and Hufflepuff are similar? I've noticed it elsewhere, and I'm wondering if it's just me...

You writing style is pretty good; I could see the dining hall perfectly!




User avatar


Points: 30
Reviews: 1

Donate
Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:14 pm
123PixieAOD says...



This is a great idea! The questions were obviously well-thought out, and true to the houses. The writing style is also smooth. I feel like I'm there! Great job :D




Random avatar

Points: 200
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:30 pm
beachgirl2004 says...



Pretty good. I like the excuse about the boxing match with Peeves. Maybe could have included something about Albus Dumbledore, gazing at you intently. Overall, I like it!




User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:10 pm
Atticus says...



I got an equal mix of Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Gryffindor (with one Slytherin)! Loved this test, please make more :)




User avatar
163 Reviews


Points: 5016
Reviews: 163

Donate
Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:31 am
Mysticalxx says...



I turn out to be equally either a Hufflepuff, a Ravenclaw or a Gryffindor. Ha! I liked the quiz, it was a fun one.

Your writing style is good. Please make more quizzes like this one!

Boxing match with Peeves......I pity you, Hat.

I love the last sentence.

Keep it up!

Mysticalxx




Dracula says...


Thank you! You're a Ravlepuff. :P



Mysticalxx says...


Ravelpuff! Good name, but shouldn't it be GryRavelpuff, since I got equal parts Gryffindor too? Or something like this?



User avatar


Points: 341
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon May 11, 2015 1:43 pm
Sandstorm says...



I'm equally gryffindor and slytherin, with one hufflepuff answer, guess that means I'm not smart ;) great fun though really like it.




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 305
Reviews: 11

Donate
Mon May 11, 2015 12:32 pm
Natasha wrote a review...



I like your idea, but I think some of the answers are wrong.
In question 4, why is casting a painful spell on the coins something a Hufflepuff would do? I think you switched Hufflepuff and Slytherin there.
In question 5, the ability to heal everything is definitely not a Slytherin thing. I regard this more as a Hufflepuff answer. So again, I think you switched Hufflepuff and Slytherin.
In question 6, I think both option a and c are Slytherin answers. B sounds like Hufflepuff and D could be either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor in my opinion.

I do agree with the rest of the answers and I wonder if you know the site www.hogwartsishere.com , where you can have classes like a real witch or wizard, but online. I think it's fantastic.




User avatar
74 Reviews


Points: 2990
Reviews: 74

Donate
Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:04 pm



No surprise here: I'm a Hufflepuff




User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 9984
Reviews: 173

Donate
Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:41 am
View Likes
donizback says...



Hey! That was fun. I loved it.
I got into Gryffindor. :D




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:21 pm
Mea says...



Is is bad that I know the Sorting Hat's poem by heart? XD

Nice quiz, though! I got Ravenclaw. (I always do.)




User avatar
155 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 155

Donate
Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:02 pm



Hufflepuff awesome quiz




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 13

Donate
Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:31 am
haywireimagination wrote a review...



This is a quiz-website worthy quiz right here. I got Ravenclaw! :) I get that on every house test, (naturally, i'm a nerd). Thank you for sharing this, I have no negative comments, except you might want to warn readers that you should have read most, if not all of the book series to understand it. I know it's under fanfiction, but still. Thanks again, and don't limit yourself to fan fictions! Have people write fanfictions about YOUR book!




User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 2935
Reviews: 103

Donate
Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:14 am
View Likes
Burrow says...



slytherin, nice quiz!!




User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hi! Cricket here as requested! :D Thanks for asking!

Hmm, what to say on this... (this doesn't actually need that much work in my opinion as it's mainly the quiz that makes this, and its AWESOME)

Professor McGonagall gently places her hand on your back and turns you around so that you're facing the whole school.


I pulled this part out so that I could use Professor's McGonagall name as an example. Sorta... Where is Professor Dumbledore by the way? I'd either prefer some description of him, or at least some excuse for him either not being there, or out of sight at the moment.

So try and either have some description of sorts, where you say something about him standing in the front of the room, and so-on. Just give us the general impression that HE IS THERE. Cause in the movie he was there, and he was rather interested in the children being placed in their different houses.
:D ESPECIALLY HARRY. I just love geeking over Harry Potter! I'm sooo glad you asked me to review this! :D

You force an excited smile, though your stomach feels like it's so full of butterflies that it's going to implode!


Hmm, implode eh? Nope. Implode means something along the lines of caving in or collapsing. Least in my book it does.

And besides that, I've always found that my stomach wants go outward, when I get nervous! So I'd suggest changing that around a little. :D

As you stand in a line with the other students in the hall, you glance up at the ceiling. It seems to be made of glass; you stare in awe at the galaxies and stars which shelter you. Losing yourself in the beautiful surroundings of the night sky, floating candles and numerous delightful banners, you don't notice the first student stepping forwards to be sorted.


Now I was wondering... maybe have it go back a little, and say something like: While they sang the song, you glance up at the ceiling, ect... When I watched the movie, I saw all the kids looking up at the ceiling FIRST THING (after they saw all the people staring at them of course), so would suggest incorporating that in a little.

OK, and that's it from me! Sorry, if this is a shorter than normal review, but as this is super awesome and it doesn't require hardly any work, I'd best just leave it as it sits!

Oh, and I got one question that was Slytherin and all the rest were Gryffindor! I've always wanted to do Defense against the Dark Arts... WELL, I'm classified as Gryffindor then? XD

~Cricket




User avatar


Points: 638
Reviews: 4

Donate
Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:17 am
JonnyShaman says...



Raven claw, woop woop. Nice quiz, I enjoyed it. o7 However, and let me preface this by saying I've never seen a Harry Potter movie in my life, why in the first question is Defence Against the Dark Arts considered a Slytherin trait? Other than that it looked pretty good to me.




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:59 am
View Likes
ExOmelas says...



Ravenclaw! Yay :-) loved the quiz and now I really wish I had a pet ferret




jazzydracula says...


Haha so do I!



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:20 am
Wolfi says...



Ravenclaw! :D Nice quiz!




jazzydracula says...


Thank you! Ravenclaw pride ;)



User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 317

Donate
Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:12 am
lostthought says...



I belong to Slytherpuff! Or is it Hufflin?




jazzydracula says...


Slytherpuff sounds good. :P



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:47 pm
erilea wrote a review...



Hello, jazzydracula! Wisegirl22 here for reviews.

According to the Harry Potter series, it is the hat who sings the song, not Gryffindor.

"While you and the other first years are walking up to the front, they begin singing a song..."

This is all I've seen here. Otherwise, this was beautifully written, so I hope more of your works appear in the Green Room! Ravenclaw to your honor!

With All Due Respects,

-wisegirl22




jazzydracula says...


Thanks! To justify the quiz, I had to temporarily get rid of the sorting hat. So I tried to fit in the song somewhere. I'll brainstorm other options.



erilea says...


Okay, thx!



User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 279
Reviews: 240

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:28 pm
View Likes
AdmiralKat wrote a review...



Hello! KatyaElefant here for another review! Let's see what we have right here.

NITPICKS: "The school errupts with applause, mainly from your house,"
Just a minor spelling error. Erupts is spelled incorrectly(if I am not mistaken).

"You snap out of your daydreaming and cringe with embarassment,"
Another minor spelling error. Embarrassment is spelled with two r's.

I really enjoyed this post, the only thing that bothered me was that the fact that you had [Your name] [Your house]. It kind off distracted me from the purpose. I don't really know how to change that and if you should change that but that's one of the only things that I found wrong here. Also, what would happen if you got 2 H's and 2 S's, would you be Divergent? XD

I really love the idea of this, the only thing that I fear is that you may(or may have not) copied this from somewhere. This is very similar to Pottermore. Though, I truly believe that you came up with this idea yourself and I think that you did a nice job. You had great grammar and could improve a tiny bit on spelling(you did great on that too). Your organization is great. The quiz could have a way on which you choose your house without becoming Divergent. Overall, great job, I enjoyed reading this. The descriptions on this happening, really pulled it together. Have a nice mini-review day. Keep calm and keep writing.




jazzydracula says...


Haha... the test didn't work on you. :P You can be a Slytherpuff.
I thought of this all myself (It took a whole school day, to be exact) but I'm flattered that you found it similar to Pottermore.



AdmiralKat says...


I didn't get those results but I'm Ravenclaw. XD (I can easily cheat the test without looking at the answer key and get a divergent)



User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11370
Reviews: 508

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:53 pm
dragonfphoenix says...



Hiya! Hey, quick question: have you heard of Pottermore? It's the official Harry Potter site, with a real Sorting Hat quiz developed with J.K. Rowling herself! Might be something worth checking out. :)




jazzydracula says...


Of course I've heard of it!!!



User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 1820
Reviews: 129

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:05 pm
Wriskypump says...



This is cool!

But what should I think if I got one for Hufflepuff and two for each of the rest?




jazzydracula says...


Well... it's not perfect. Let's just say that the test didn't work on you.

Welcome to.... Ravenslythdor!



Wriskypump says...


or Slyvendor or Gryffythclaw :D sweet! enjoyed this quiz very much, thank you for some smiles :)




they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11