z

Young Writers Society



Recreation

by TheWeather


You always liked fairy tales,
but our lives were hardly one.
You were a damsel who liked
her distress and your inspiration,
was a different type of heroine.
But I was hopelessly trapped in myself,
with no way out.
I was intoxicated with madness and
somehow in love with my sadness.

Together, we were an island of despair
whose twisted souls seemed to connect.
We convinced ourselves that perhaps
a psychopath is better than no path at all.
We were just two suicidal kids who told
other suicidal kids that suicide isn't
the answer.
And we all lived miserably ever after.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 1119
Reviews: 5

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 8:10 pm
View Likes
Incogneato wrote a review...



Hi TheWeather, I'm new. Incogneato's the name! *Waves* Pardon if this isn't very helpful, I'm not really good at reviewing poetry :)

Well, one line really stuck out, and that was the "a psychopath is better than no path at all."
Really creative and really powerful! I had to laugh at the ingenuity of the line :)

This whole poem is bitter-sweet, although it's leaning closer to sweet then bitter in my opinion. I can really see why it featured! It's really nice piece. Thanks for writing it. It is encouraging to everyone I think, to realize that you can live a life. Suicide isn't the only option. This was really powerful and nice poem!

*Vanishes*




User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 7:14 am
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...



Pretty darn good!
There are a couple of points I would like to make if I may. Firstly you have a lovely metaphor with "twisted souls," but it doesn't seem to work with the word "connect." Perhaps try and find a different verb that somehow works better with the idea of pairing, perhaps fit or pair.
The play on words you did with psychopath was great.
And finally I think a comma after "distress" would help the reader pause on that very nice line, rather that missing it, which would be truly tragic.
Hope this helps,
Take That You Fiend!




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 2:26 am
View Likes
Hannah wrote a review...



Oooh, nice voice, TheWeather!

My favorite lines are about how a "psychopath is better than no path at all" and the honesty of "just two suicidal kids who told/ other suicidal kids that suicide isn't/ the answer".

I like them because you play with the opposites. You play with twisting words around to try to make them mean different things than they usually do. You can see this pattern throughout the poem, as you say "you liked fairy takes" BUT "our lives were not one", contrasting fairy tale w/ not fairy tale. You contrast a damsel in distress w/ liking the distress, the idea of a heroine w/ a different type of heroine, the islands w/ the idea of connecting, the path in psychopath w/ the idea of a real path, the regular use of the phrase "happily ever after" w/ the word "miserably". You do it over and over again, hehe!

And while I liked a couple of these inversions, especially the second one I mentioned up top, it gets a little bit overbearing when the poem only talks about those kinds of situations and all the poem does it change it to the opposite. I hope that it makes sense. It's like some kid coming up to me and always always playing the devil's advocate. In some cases, it's really useful to see the other side of an idea, but constantly constantly constantly leaves me asking -- "But what do you really believe?"

I hope these thoughts are somewhat helpful to you!
Feel free to PM me if you have questions, or just reply to this review.

Good luck and always keep writing!

Hannah




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 2133
Reviews: 8

Donate
Mon May 12, 2014 11:16 pm
View Likes
TaliaSankEden wrote a review...



To be honest, I have nothing negative to say. I absolutely love this poem, and I too can relate to whoever the speaker is. Your word choice is absolutely beautiful without sounding pretentious. There are a few lines in here that absolutely blew me away, especially "intoxicated with my madness and / somehow in love with my sadness" and the line about psychopaths. I absolutely love the somewhat disjointed structure; in some poetry it's little more than an annoyance but here it's used very well.
The only thing that I can say is that there are a few rhymes, but no real pattern. This was probably intentional, but it confused my pattern-loving brain. If you don't feel the need to change it, or you just like it the way it is, then that is awesome! But for me, I like structure.
Anyway, I'd love to read more from you. You have a real gift!




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 355
Reviews: 11

Donate
Mon May 12, 2014 9:08 pm
moment says...



I relate a lot to this. Gave you a big ol' like





If you can't get out of your comfort zone, you'll never find what you're looking for. Don't make things quick and easy to feel better short term. Make a change and then you'll feel better longer term.
— Frinderman