The Ring

by Gravity

The ring hit the bottom of the garbage can with a clunk. I stared at the band of white on my finger where the ring had just been, twenty seconds ago. It had been perfect. It fit me perfectly the first time I tried it on. The man who gave it to me had once been even more perfect.

I gazed up at the cloudy sky. The moon was full, and everything around me seemed a little too quiet for Manhattan. The silence scared me. I wasn’t in the best neighborhood, and I had just dropped a fifteen hundred dollar ring in a trash can. So I hurried on as I adjusted the strap of my shoulder bag, and re-tied the belt of my coat. Relief coursed through me after I opened the door of my car, got in, and locked the doors.

While I drove away, I couldn’t help but feel a familiar pull to the ring I had just abandoned in the trash can. It had been sitting on my finger for almost 2 years now. After Mike had given it to me, I never took it off. When I was nervous; I had had this habit of twisting it around my finger. Now I had nothing to be comforted by, and the most important person in my life had vanished. I needed to let go of him.

Regardless, Mike hadn’t done anything wrong. It would be pointless to stay mad at him. I turned the car around and headed back to the neighborhood. After retrieving the ring, I slipped it into my purse.

I finally went home, and took a long hot bath. Something felt odd and out of place. I looked at the mirror. Ordinarily, Mike would be there, shaving. I usually showered in the morning, and Mike showered at night. It felt wrong to change up the routine. So I hurriedly got out of the warm water, and wrapped my favorite fluffy towel around my body.

...................................................................................................................................................................

After I awoke the next morning; I noticed my eyes were puffy and swollen, and my voice was hoarse. I had probably been crying and screaming into the night for Mike. I had a big day ahead of me. I put on a simple black dress, nylons, and black shoes. My hair was arranged in a ponytail, and I wore no makeup. My purse was the only thing I picked up as I walked out the door.

I parked outside of a familiar building. My hands rested on the steering wheel while I took 5 deep breaths. I couldn’t take it anymore, grief overcame me as I sobbed into the steering wheel. I was grateful I hadn’t put on any makeup earlier. By this time, it would have been running down my face like long ugly gashes.

After I composed myself, I walked into the building. It was a church, and there were two long rows of pews on either side of a wide aisle. I almost tripped over my shoes as I sat down in the front pew. I absentmindedly took the ring from my purse and put it on. I owed it to him to wear it for one last day.

His casket was open, and the minister of the church began reading passages from the bible about leaving loved ones left behind. Why did Mike have to leave me behind?

“Olivia, would you like to say a few words to honor Mike?” I nodded, and stood shakily. I needed him to know that I still loved him no matter what.

“Mike, you were my best friend in middle school and high school. In two weeks, we would’ve been husband and wife.” I paused as his mother dabbed at her eyes with a tissue, and his father tried to look strong. “I will always love you. You were always a part of my life, and you always will be. You were my first love. You may not be my last love, but I will never let myself forget all the good times we had.”

I moved toward Mike's casket. He looked calm and serene. His brown eyes were closed, and the corners of his lips showed the ghost of a smile. His hands were arranged on his stomach so he would look peaceful and relaxed. I took off the ring. The minister didn’t object as I moved his cold hand, and slipped the ring under it. Tears ran down my cheeks as I squeezed my eyes shut, and family and friends slowly moved up to join me to pay their respects. Slowly, everything blurred and faded until...

I sat up with a gasp. My bedroom was dark, and I was sweating. I felt a hand on my shoulder. The bedside lamp was turned on as I twisted my ring around my finger. Mike looked at me with his warm, brown eyes.

“Liv, is everything alright?” He asked. I nodded and tried to smile.

“It is now.”

OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hi there! Here to represent Team Rouge and this amazing review day! I will provide you with a delightful review sandwich in just a jiffy :)

First things first, the things I liked;

“It felt wrong to change up the routine.” I like this line. It feels easy, breezy and natural.

Woah! Mark is dead?! I didn't see that one coming at all. And she just chucked his ring away? That's drastic. There must be something more behind that decision so I'm definitely intrigued.

I think this could work as a novel – not a short story. There is so many questions left unanswered.

And now onto constructive criticism;

I'm with Blackwood on this one. I can't actually decide if I liked it or not! It has so much potential to be great. I've re read and re read the first paragraph lots of times now and I still fail to see that something actually happened? You could have had a real physical pull to the ring or a physical reaction to being away from it to drag it into the supernatural. You could have even had some mysterious stranger lurking around when they returned to get the ring. It just needs a little more substance.

Good luck & keep writing!

Olive <3

The guy's name is MIKE not MARK. If you had read the whole story through, you would've seen that the fact the Mike was dead was all just a dream. She dreamt it. That is the resolution.

OliveDreams says...

Woaah. No need to snap. I apologise that I wrote Mark instead of Mike - I had just reviewed a story where the name was Mark. If you can't handle to constructive criticism part of a review then maybe you shouldn't post. We're only trying to help you.
Olive <3

Blackwood wrote a review...

Mmmmmmmm
hmmmm

hmmmm
mmm

hmmm

I am undecided.

I guess you could say I like it. I don't dislike it.
It's probably because I just read an amazing short story about death, but I feel slightly, nothingish here. I think you need more. More impact. I don't like the fact that you pulled off the it was a dream thing at the end. No one likes that, it is cliche, I see you wanted to end on a happy ending, but what you chose just didn't work.

I need more emotions and reasons from the narrator. Why would she drop it in the bin? Why is she mad? Even though we find out hes dead later I feel like she is lacking.

I like your writing well enough. Its well done that I read through the whole thing intently and interestingly. Usually if something is bad I just wont read it, or else force myself through it. This was not bad. It was good to read.

Slowly, everything blurred and faded until...

I hate that line so much. Sorry.

Yeah so I liked it. I didn't like that one line. I think it could do with more, but it was quite good.

Thank you. I have mediocre feelings about this myself, and I definitely have better stuff. Thanks :)

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hi gravity!

So this piece of yours has fallen victim to my first review I've done in quite a while, so sorry if it's a bit shoddy but I'll try my best to get my thoughts across in this review. I'll start off with what I liked, then a few suggestions for the piece and finally an overall summary type thing. Starting off with what I like, I think that rather than using the idea of this man dying- and using the ring instead was a good idea! It was a good sort of metaphor to use and it works well. I think generally the whole idea of this is really good, it works well for a short story as the thing ended up being not real. Also, not giving away why she was throwing the ring away at the beginning was great. I assumed he'd dumped her maybe? But that was a refreshing- yet sad surprise.

It had been perfect. It fit me perfectly the first time I tried it on. The man who gave it to me had once been even more perfect..

I don't think the repetition of the word 'perfect' works too well here because it just makes it read quite odd. I'm not sure if you've done this on purpose, but I think here you should consider using synonyms for perfect maybe.

I walked into the building. It was a church, and there were two long rows of pews on either side of a wide aisle

I think here, the bit I've underlined sounds a bit odd. I think it would be better to say 'I walked into the church'. I'm not sure if you've done this because she's feeling such a wave of emotion and she can't see properly, but still. If you are going for this effect I think it would be better to rather just say it's a church then go on to describe the church- talk about the features that make it a church like the colours are the objects in the room so that the READER can come to the conclusion that it's a church. It'll make it seem more interesting.

In terms of things missing from this piece, I think description and emotion. And I think here they go hand in hand a bit. Because there wasn't much description of like surroundings, but also not much about emotion! The latter is more important here as it's quite an emotive piece so I think you need to talk about this character's feelings more; and also describe the setting. When she's throwing the ring in the bin, what sort of thoughts are going through her head?

Kind of linked with this, I think it would be really cool if you could try and show more about what the ring symbolises to her. I mean this whole piece is sort of based around it, and I think it's a great sort of metaphor to start off with but then nothing really happens after that. So maybe try and get in a few more metaphors about the ring and what it means to her- it'd be a great chance to get some more descriptions and imagery in here.

Lastly, I think the transition from dream to reality isn't abrupt enough. I think for it to be really effective it should be more BAM. ...I'm totally making sense here :P. Basically, I think write the end of the dream so much more like it feels real, then I think cut off the dream with a scream. Or maybe even Mike's voice because he's noticed that she's not really sleeping properly.

Overall though, this is a really good piece! I like the idea of it loads, and usually ending with 'it was all a dream' drives me crazy but here I think it works quite well. I think a few things need to be tweaked here and there, such as more descriptions and emotions from the main character would be great. Anyways, I hope this review helped! Feel free to PM me with any questions you have or if you'd like another review on anything.

Keep writing! From a member of Team Rouge,
~ArcticMonkey

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review!

Technical:
"When I was nervous; I had had this habit of twisting it around my finger.", the semi-colon should be a comma. Rule of thumb: never use a semi-colon unless you're absolutely positive it goes there.

"After I awoke the next morning; I noticed my eyes were puffy and swollen, and my voice was hoarse.", same thing here. No semi-colon; use a comma. <- That is proper semi-colon use.

Spell out small numbers. "My hands rested on the steering wheel while I took 5 deep breaths.", the "5" should be "five".

"...began reading passages from the bible about...", the Bible should be capitalized.

Content:
I kind of wish there was more description of the church scene. It feels like an empty auditorium until you point out the parents.
Story-wise, I was in a major "Aw, it's another lost-a-loved-one exploration*BAM!!!* Ow, okay, so it's not." Really caught me off guard. Good job on the story.

Hope this helps!

PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...

Great job!! I would have like some more explanation, like how old are they? why are they living together if they weren't married? also, you said she threw the ring away, but then how does she have it at the funeral? I think it flowed really well, and i like the descriptions. you did a great job emphasizing her grief. Keep writing!!

PeanutPhoebe says...

oops, i just went back and noticed the part where she went back and got the ring...guess i missed it the first time...

ajruby12 says...

The funeral bit was a dream..

PeanutPhoebe says...

I know...

lol it was all a dream. And they are living together because they were engaged. I mentioned that in Olivia's dream Eulogy

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn