z

Young Writers Society



Amy

by tigeraye


Amy was a fighter. She threw punches that would make Cassius Clay jealous.

I still remember when she first got the news, and she wanted to drive. Now, this was weird, 'cause Amy never liked to drive. So, the drive home from the doctor's office to home is a straight cruise down until you reach the intersection. Turn right, and soon enough, you'll be home. Turn left, and that's where the strip mall is.

So she turned left. Ignoring my hootin' and hollerin', she drove all the way up to the sporting goods store, bought a pair of boxing gloves. She put 'um on and smiled at me, throwing a few jabs but stopping just an inch short of my nose every time.

"Why did you use my credit card to buy a pair of boxing gloves?" I asked her in an irascible voice.

"Because you don't go into a fight without being prepared," she said with a big ol' smile.

And I smiled back. She'd know that better than me, better than anyone else. She'd been fighting all her life, since the day she was born, six weeks before she was supposed to. Doctors thought she had no chance of makin' it, but hey, proved them all wrong.

Then of course, her daddy left her. Never found out just where he went; always ate at her, but you'd never know it. Her mother said there was no way she'd ever be able to afford raising a little girl on her own. Always told the story of how she was a few steps away from the orphanage when apparently God talked to her, told her to raise that baby, don't worry about the money.

So, she did. 

Amy didn't just fight with her illness, she and I had our fair share of scuffles now and then. We'd have a few not-so-nice words, she'd remind me how terrible I am, then she'd hit me, give me a good punch, right on my jaw. So I'd grab her by her shirt collar and toss her onto the couch, looking at just how sad she looked, and all of a sudden I'd get this huge, overwhelming sadness over me. Then I'd run out of the room before she saw me bawl my eyes out.

I guess I'm just understating it - Amy and I couldn't stand each other. The two sentences we exchanged in the sporting goods store that day were followed by, you guessed it - another argument in the parking lot. The truth is, she hated my guts for what I did to her. And I never thought I'd care if she just disappeared, just...just died. Just like that, just dropped dead out of nowhere. I told her that. I told her to kill herself. When we got home that afternoon, I told her to kill herself. I told her the world would be a better place. Her mother said it wouldn't. I said it would.

Her mother was right.

I didn't mean it. She wouldn't want the treatment I wanted to give her and...guess it doesn't matter. It's too late to take it back, now. That night was the last time I ever saw her.

Even walking in the stormy rain, she had a fire about her. And even now, the smoke is still in my eyes. I miss you, Amy.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:12 am
Apricity wrote a review...



Heyo tigeraye, Flite here for a review. You said I have a neat voice in my story and I would return the compliment to you, I quite like the tone here. It's simple and because of that it's also powerful. You've already a lot of reviews so I apologize if I rehash anything. You mentioned that the purpose of this story is to treat people kinder, however if I had not read your comments I would have just thought this was the story of someone who regretted not seeing the deeper side of someone and the guilt of having told them to kill themselves.

Your reviewers have mentioned that they have trouble relating to the characters, let me tell you why. Your main character has a pretty distinctive voice (with the accent and all, even though in some places the accent felt forced), the short story depicts a narration of your protagonist and Amy's relationship. The thing is there are inconsistencies with the narration of their relationship, at first they seemed like acquaintances if not good friends from the way they interacted with each other. They're both chilling out, swapping witty remarks. Then later on, as one reviewer mentioned you suddenly switch to Amy dying and the MC feeling sad. Ambiguity is not bad, the readers don't need to know everything but what you have here isn't ambiguity. What you have here is a flaw in the character development and bad transition. So he tosses her onto the couch and run out, and then later she hates him for tossing her onto the couch? What? I would understand if he harassed her or embarrassed her, but tossing her onto a couch? Doesn't seem that big a deal to me.

I told her to kill herself. I told her the world would be a better place. Her mother said it wouldn't. I said it would.


I'm sure that if their relationship is so rough, it won't be the first time your MC has told her to go kill herself; whether in jest or seriously. So why should she take it seriously now? And does your MC feel no guilt that he's gone and told someone to die and they actually did. I wish you would expand on the plethora of feelings that must overwhelmed him when he heard the news.

Even walking in the stormy rain, she had a fire about her. And even now, the smoke is still in my eyes. I miss you, Amy.


'I miss you, Amy'. Put on a separate line would double the impact. But let's go back to your ending, Amy's dead how does walking the the rain bring back Amy's inner fire? Since when did your MC appreciate Amy's inner fire, certainly not even she died. After she died, it just suddenly popped up with no further evidence of that statement. Of course, it's a metaphor but even metaphors have their roots somewhere. If you're going to talk about her fire then mention her fire earlier on.

I hope I wasn't too harsh, I like the idea but I think you need to develop this further. If you have any concerns, please feel free to PM me.

-Flite




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 574
Reviews: 30

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:24 am
micamouth wrote a review...



Fabulous work! This story is very well laid out, and it builds up in a very regular structure. There are a few things I'd like to point out, though.

Then of course, her daddy left her. Never found out just where he went; always ate at her, but you'd never know it.


This - it sounds a little awkward. When I first read it, it made no sense, and I had to read it a few times to properly understand. Perhaps reword it, like "it always ate at her," "the loss ate away at her," "she still suffered from the loss," etc. You see what I mean? It just clarifies the subject. I thought, at first, you literally meant her father ate away at her, which of course is nonsense.

Even walking in the stormy rain, she had a fire about her. And even now, the smoke is still in my eyes. I miss you, Amy.


emilycaroleena covered this below, but I wanted to expand and give you some suggestions. This part of the story seems a little sudden. I don't know who the narrator is to Amy and vice versa - I'm assuming xe's a friend, and male. I'm assuming he loved her, but never got the chance to tell her - try adding that in! Add in some fun times they had, for example, if xe is a roommate, "it was always fun sharing a room together in college/university/whatever you want to put." Add in some more events they were both involved in, that strengthened or weakened their relationship. All that's there is the boxing gloves, the fights, and the ending.

Overall, this is a great work with plenty of potential once it's polished up a bit - you should expand this into a full fledged story! Good luck and have fun!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 817
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:14 pm
View Likes
emilycaroleena wrote a review...



I think the overall story is okay, I was just a bit confused. I think you should re-read it and ask yourself...

"Who is Amy to the narrator?"
"Why are the two of them getting in fights all the time?"

I was mainly confused on that level, was it her partner, roommate, friend. I just didn't have a clue. I also didn't like the shortening on some on the words.

"She put 'um on and smiled at me," I didn't think it was necessary in some parts.

Other than that I think I covered my personally problems with the story. I wish you luck. :)




tigeraye says...


uh I hope you can read my comments below and understand it better, if not its cool. I always appreciate someone else reading anything I write, thanks a bunch.



User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:57 pm
artybirdy wrote a review...



Cassius Clay as in Muhammad Ali? He’s better known as his latter name. I think you should replace it, so your readers know the narrator’s comparing Amy against him.

To talk about the entire short story, I’d say many details are left unclear. I’m confused about their relationship because they sounded close until you mentioned they can’t stand each other. The narrator also told her to kill herself. Were they former best friends? Mutual rivals? Step-siblings? I couldn’t tell anything.

Did Amy have a terminal disease? If so, what was it? I’m curious to know.

she hated my guts for what I did to her

What did the narrator do to her? Did he/she break her heart? Why did they tell Amy to kill herself? An insight into their thoughts and feelings would make us relate to them as we hardly know anything about them.

Overall, this story has a lot of potential. You need to develop it a bit more. There’s also an underlying sense of regret from the narrator’s part as they recall the past. However, I’d suggest you make that more predominant.

Well done, and keep writing!




tigeraye says...


yeah, the ambiguity is intentional, although i have it in my head the reason the two never saw eye to eye. The reason is its not the point of the story, the fact that you and lightsong both couldn't relate to the characters is upsetting however because I'm not sure how I can make a fix to that. Thanks for the review.



artybirdy says...


Hiya!
I'm sorry if I sounded rude or insensitive in my review. I didn't mean to be discouraging. I actually want you to improve. The reason I couldn't relate to the narrator was because I couldn't understand why they had wanted Amy to kill herself. What was their true motive? To me, they came across as a horrible person. If they had "justified" their actions/words through their thoughts and feelings, then I could have sympathised with them. I would have understood their reasons and, perhaps, relate to them.
Secondly, you said the reason they didn't like each other was not the point of story. I'm interested to know the message you were trying to portray through these characters.
Once again, I'd like to apologise for being harsh.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I promise you, I won't bite. xD
Thank you.



tigeraye says...


nah, it's cool, I didn't think you were being rude or harsh. The message is to treat people kindly, as you never know when the last time you'll see them is. It's a lesson I learned a long time ago and was recently reminded of again, which inspired me to write this. The man never treated Amy well and then she died, and he's left feeling guilty because it was too late to do anything to make up for it. I feel pretty confident most people can recall at least one thing regretful said to a lost loved one, or at least someone gone who they wish they interacted with differently.

anyway, I went ahead and added a few sentences towards the end to make it clearer that the narrator felt regretful about his words towards Amy. Thanks for the help.



artybirdy says...


No problem! Glad to help.
That's a very deep and meaningful message. I read over it again, and it's much clearer now. Well done!



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:12 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...



She threw punches that would make Cassius Clay jealous.


I think you should change the reference to something that is more global since I'm not getting it. I guess this is some American thing or something.

Doctors thought she had no chance of makin' it, but hey, proved them all wrong.


There's nothing wrong with this line, but after "hey", perhaps you can add in a "she" just to make it better sentence structure.

Overall, the story is pretty interesting. I like the idea of a strong girl. This is not about female empowerment, it's pretty realistic. I don't have much to say since this is too short a short story.

The last part is pretty interesting, I'm not expecting the protagonist to tell that to Amy, it's really harsh. I'm not sure what happens to Amy, it's either she commits suicide or gets into an accident. Either way, you probably want to clear it up. It would lengthen your story.

Since this is too short for a story, there's lack of character development for the protagonist. I hope there's more about her conflict with Amy since I'm not feeling it. I dunno why I should care about it and I can't relate myself to it. Elaborating the conflict would lengthen this story and makes it more solid.

That's all! Sorry this is short but the piece is actually quite enjoyable to read. Keep it up! :D




tigeraye says...


Hey, thanks. Cassius Clay is the birth name of Muhammad Ali, he changed his name in 1964, about 20 fights into his boxing career. The narrator here would be a bit older which is why he'd call him Clay instead of Ali, if that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.




“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken